Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three (UK) Mobile preloaded 3GB Data

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bk wrote: »
    Looks like it has changed slightly from last year, not included in PAYG by default, but you can add it for €3:

https://apps.three.ie/roaming/pages/three-like-home

Though it only covers 6 countries, compared to the 30+ including the US that the UK one covers.

No, you add it for €2.99 on bill pay. Its AYCED on 3Pay. It makes no sense, but the prepay plan is far better than the bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Is this SIM/data card deal really valid for 90 days? I'm puzzled, as the 3UK site only has cards that are valid for 30 days. I have one that I use a couple of times a year (usually Spain, France & Italy) and it expires after 30 days unless I top up again in the interim and use an add-on.

I'm able to buy top-up vouchers across the border in NI, so I make sure to allow my phone to re-connect with the UK network periodically to avoid any disconnection.

How can sellers offer something that 3 itself doesn't have for sale? Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RoYoBo wrote: »
    How can sellers offer something that 3 itself doesn't have for sale? Am I missing something?

Three.co.uk do offer it, you can find it here:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY_MBB

What you are missing is that this is a data only SIM, you can't make calls/texts on it. The idea is that it is supposed to be for your tablet/ipad. Of course nothing stopping you using it in you smartphone.

The 30 days plans are the standard mobile phone type plans (include calls/texts), but as that is with a UK mobile number, probably not of much interest to most Irish people.

The ideal way to use this abroad is either with a dual SIM phone (where you get calls/texts on your Irish SIM and data on the Three.co.uk SIM) or alternatively just use your Irish sim in an old phone for calls/texts and use the Three SIM in your regular smart phone.

Three.co.uk do offer it, you can find it here:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY_MBB

What you are missing is that this is a data only SIM, you can't make calls/texts on it. The idea is that it is supposed to be for your tablet/ipad. Of course nothing stopping you using it in you smartphone.

The 30 days plans are the standard mobile phone type plans (include calls/texts), but as that is with a UK mobile number, probably not of much interest to most Irish people.

The ideal way to use this abroad is either with a dual SIM phone (where you get calls/texts on your Irish SIM and data on the Three.co.uk SIM) or alternatively just use your Irish sim in an old phone for calls/texts and use the Three SIM in your regular smart phone.

Thanks for that - I do have a dual SIM phone, so this will be very handy for me. I'm assuming I can buy it from 3 UK as well and get it sent to a NI address? The offer mentioed in the OP is out of stock at the moment. This will work out a lot cheaper for me than topping up the phone SIM, which I generally only use for data anyway :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for that - I do have a dual SIM phone, so this will be very handy for me. I'm assuming I can buy it from 3 UK as well and get it sent to a NI address? The offer mentioed in the OP is out of stock at the moment. This will work out a lot cheaper for me than topping up the phone SIM, which I generally only use for data anyway :)

I think the issue with ordering from the Three.co.uk website is that you need a UK credit/debit card. Irish cards won't work unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I think the issue with ordering from the Three.co.uk website is that you need a UK credit/debit card. Irish cards won't work unfortunately.

The beauty of having family in NI ;) I always knew they'd be useful for something, sometime!

Also, when topping up the 3 UK mobile card anyway (not sure if the same will work for the data card) most supermarkets in NI sell the vouchers, which are easy to use online thereafter.

Can someone confirm if this data sim card, used in a smartphone in Spain, for example, can be used to tether/hotspot to a tablet?

I followed one of the links posted earlier in this thread and many of the people responding to that claimed it could not be done. I know this probably doesn't make sense, as it's data only and meant to be used as such. But is there something about using it in a mobile phone that might negate this option? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

RoYoBo wrote:
    Can someone confirm if this data sim card, used in a smartphone in Spain, for example, can be used to tether/hotspot to a tablet?

It's not a dumb question... Not all tablets have the capacity to insert a sim card,. Mine certainly don't...

But according to the TAC on the website, creating a hotspot to tether to another device is not allowed, but you could always try and if it does, great...

It's not a dumb question... Not all tablets have the capacity to insert a sim card,. Mine certainly don't...

But according to the TAC on the website, creating a hotspot to tether to another device is not allowed, but you could always try and if it does, great...

My tablet has no sim either, which is why I want/need to tether via the phone. I know when I had a 3UK mobile sim in Spain earlier this year, it wouldn't allow me to tether and I then saw the restriction in their T&Cs.

However, some posters on this thread are saying that as this is a data sim only, it will work. I messaged the Ebay seller in the OP and he says he honestly doesn't know. Other forum reviews elsewhere indicate it won't work :confused:

Unless someone can confirm they've actually used it for tethering, I think I'll just stick with buying a local sim abroad - Orange in Spain, for example, allows tethering from a mobile phone sim and it worked fine with my tablet on wifi. It's a bit more expensive for less data and time, but better to be sure.

However, some posters on this thread are saying that as this is a data sim only, it will work. I messaged the Ebay seller in the OP and he says he honestly doesn't know. Other forum reviews elsewhere indicate it won't work :confused:

Three UK call these "Tablet SIM's". This means they mean for these to be used in a tablet which has it's own 3G/4G radio.

They aren't "tethering SIM's" for use in mifi devices.

People use them in their phones while abroad, as there is no way to tell a difference between a smartphone and a tablet (they are fundamentally the same thing) and they represent very good value for money. But no guarantee that they work for tethering. Though sometimes there are ways around tethering blocking on rooted/jailbroken phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

I was able to tethering using a 3UK Sim this summer in france with an android phone running kitkat.
    it was fine for normal browsing and downloading, but you could stream on it.
    Also you wont be able to use 4G when you abroad on these sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Three UK call these "Tablet SIM's". This means they mean for these to be used in a tablet which has it's own 3G/4G radio.

They aren't "tethering SIM's" for use in mifi devices.

People use them in their phones while abroad, as there is no way to tell a difference between a smartphone and a tablet (they are fundamentally the same thing) and they represent very good value for money. But no guarantee that they work for tethering. Though sometimes there are ways around tethering blocking on rooted/jailbroken phones.

Not the one, I have.

It's called "internet with legs"
    and Three clearly state on the front, that it's
    "for use in any unlocked 3G or 4G tablet, dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi device"

There is no problem tethering with them or any other method you can think of using data.

81VbbMtK5WL._SX522_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Regarding the data only sim.

Will this work all year round without entering the UK?

Or is it the case you must turn it on in the UK every now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I've ordered one off mymemory for €14 delivered, paying in sterling via revolut. Will let ye know how I get on with it in a phone as a hotspot.

is that the 12gb plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

keano25 wrote: »
    is that the 12gb plan?

No the 3gb. They are doing the 12gb for £24 + £1.95 shipping. I didn't want to commit to 12gb if it couldn't be used as a hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

There is no question about using them in a phone as a hotspot, it will work perfectly. A phone used as a hotspot is a mobile wifi device.
    They are not tablet sims, they are not voice sims, they are mobile broadband data sims. Put them in anything you like, then use the data, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

I got the mymemory one and it worked amazingly well in Italy last week. Even if it only works for that holiday alone and then is blocked forever it is still great value for money.

The ability to sit into your rental car at the airport and have high detail Google maps guaranteed is invaluable for me

newwan wrote: »
    The ability to sit into your rental car at the airport and have high detail Google maps guaranteed is invaluable for me

A few years ago, Vodafone had a plan that included 2GB of data, but best of all, you could use the 2GB anywhere in the world!!!

I travelled abroad 12 times that year and it was amazing to have this. Google Maps, Google Transit, yelp, etc. made it so easier to get around and explore these new cities. It should me how great and important data roaming is.

Unfortunately Vodafone so dropped this plan and as a result, I dropped Vodafone immediately. But it is great to have an option available like this three deal.

Regarding the data only sim.

Will this work all year round without entering the UK?

Or is it the case you must turn it on in the UK every now and then?

So lads can anyone answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

So lads can anyone answer?

Feel Like home only works 2 Months out of 12 , So for 10 months you need to be in UK to use,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm going to ask the idiots question...
    I'm going to the UK for a few days.
    Can I get this, stick it in the second sim slot in my phone and use it simply for data for google maps, browsing etc.

I'm going to the UK for a few days.
    Can I get this, stick it in the second sim slot in my phone and use it simply for data for google maps, browsing etc.

Assuming your phone is a dual sim phone, then yes.

You will likely need to mess with your phone settings to select which SIM gets used for data and which gets used for calls/texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Mr.S wrote: »
    My three uk sim won't allow tethering when roaming.

You can connect fine, but your brought to a webpage that says tethering not supported.

Tethers fine on the home network though.

That's correct, tethering not allowed on this sim while roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Used the sim for three weeks in US without any issue. Over a month now since I activated the sim and it's still working. Not too concerned if it gets deactivated, if I go somewhere else then I will probably get a new sim. Its a must have when travelling. You can't go wrong for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

newwan wrote: »
    I got the mymemory one and it worked amazingly well in Italy last week. Even if it only works for that holiday alone and then is blocked forever it is still great value for money.

Going to the US after Christmas so had planned to buy one from 3 up North but mymemory are actually cheaper! Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to ask the idiots question... I'm going to the UK for a few days. Can I get this, stick it in the second sim slot in my phone and use it simply for data for google maps, browsing etc.

Should be good too... I'm heading over on Monday for the day so will test it out in person and let you know...

So just back from the UK, and happy to report that I was able to get 3g with the 3 data sim whilst using my Irish sim card for calls and texts in my dual SIM mobile phone... 5 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

What sort of speeds are people getting? Was in Belgium at the weekend mix of Edge and very slow H, very good connection for the most part. Never managed to get 4G. Was wondering was it a Belgium/Network specific issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Stevek101 wrote: »
    What sort of speeds are people getting? Was in Belgium at the weekend mix of Edge and very slow H, very good connection for the most part. Never managed to get 4G. Was wondering was it a Belgium/Network specific issue.

I have used it in USA , Spain , France & Israel over the last year and the experience is always the same , General Browsing and Social Media is fine, Whatsapp Voice Calls and Skype Video calls were fine but streaming is very slow Video a no go and even Tunein Streams struggle , and on their site they mention that they service is managed and to expect slowness

Advertisement