Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Was dubious as this was the first time we brought the 3 kids to a festival.
    Hands down one of the best weekends of my life. Am so impressed.
    The crowd attending were SO f*cking sound too- we had some having grass fights with the kids, singing with them, blowing bubbles with them, playing catch with them..
    Lovely crowd.
    Lovely festival.
    Still have the post fear, mind. Will post more later but very impressed- will be going back next year.

Couldn't give a sh1t if it was EDM or not, I enjoyed his show which was electronica nuts. Vitalic is French by the way not American. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Body & Soul 2017 is up there as one of the best in my opinion and Ive been to them all. The crowd was much nicer than last years, our area of the red campsite behind the trees was craic but with no bad messers really. I thought the music was excellent and much better than last year.
    Highlights were
    1. Avalon Emerson, who should have closed out Friday night really, she left Optimo in the dust
    2. Bonobo & Vitalic, both very different but totally enjoyable fantastic gigs. I noticed no sound issues on the main stage, but then I was down near the front.
    3. Sing Along Social in the woods on Sunday was absolutely brilliant , and there was a huge crowd down there. Simple, light-hearted entertainment perfect for that time of the day.
    4. Food on Board really upped the ante this year, Saturday afternoon was amazing and Sundays Pop up Lobster truck . Its just a pity they ran out of food so early down there.
    5. The Boreh Steam in the Hot Tub place, sorted us right out on Sunday morning!! A perfect way to re-energise to cope with day 2 or 3 of partying..

6. The weather, what a difference it makes!

There was lots of other great stuff, and of course we missed 75% of things but thats fine cos we had a fab time.

Big thanks to Avril, Jenny and the whole Body & soul team, ye are fab.

And RIP the poor man who passed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mulkabu

Another brilliant B&S.  What a lovely crowd, kind and up for making a  dope of themselves for fun.  I havent laughed so much as at the diddly eye music in the woods on Sunday.  The Sanctuary and walled garden were great, the long drops and Absolut bar less so.

RUFUS gets my vote for best act out of a long weekend of tons of great music.  Lords of Strut blew the roof off too with their comedy/dance/endinburgh/blasphemy/scat routine.

See you all again next year :)

I wasn't there on the Sunday night after what was supposed to be Songhoy Blues. Can't believe Birdy Nam Nam weren't there either. That means Parcels, Songhoy Blues and Birdy Nam Nam, all due on the main stage, never made it and there was no communication whatsoever about this. Any other acts not make it??

Yeah its seems there was four cancellations, the fourth being A Tribe Called Red (Saturday night Midnight Circus), due to one of them having an ear infection.

Would have taken a longer clip but camera space ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

I certainly was! Another great Body & soul night

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Agreed, I was surprised by how much harder her set was than I expected.

Were you at the Alle Farben gig in the Marquee by the walled garden in 2011?

2011 was my favourite Body and Soul! There was a DJ in that marquee one night and he kept bring the house lights slowly up as he built to a drop. It was brilliant but even looking at the lineup I can't be sure who it was. Maybe Alle Farben ?

roll wrote: »
    this year wasn't one of the best... the main stage is a disaster at this stage-no crowds and lots of talk while musicians try play music-there were no more than 100 people in front of the stage for Lambchop. the midnight circus tent was where it was at this weekend. maybe i'm just getting old(er) but i thought this year was very flat.... of course none of this matters as i just heard some poor fella died at the festival

Looked quite chill to me, a lot of people seemed to appreciate their sound on the hillside too, that was a great vantage actually for more visual shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lads does anyone know the name of the 8 man drum line band that were playing in the woods at around 4/4.30 on Sunday afternoon? Caught them by chance and they ended up being one of my highlights of the weekend. Don't think they were on the official schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Peesh89

Lads does anyone know the name of the 8 man drum line band that were playing in the woods at around 4/4.30 on Sunday afternoon? Caught them by chance and they ended up being one of my highlights of the weekend. Don't think they were on the official schedule.

Sounds like you're talking about The Hit Machine, but that was Saturday?

Peesh89 wrote: »

Sounds like you're talking about The Hit Machine, but that was Saturday?
    That's them alright. Legend man, thanks. Yeah I think they were scheduled for Saturday but played another impromptu show on Sunday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

Looked quite chill to me, a lot of people seemed to appreciate their sound on the hillside too, that was a great vantage actually for more visual shows.

As it happens, I watched the second half on the hillside as there was less yapping there than in front of the stage!

Not uploaded by me now but a classic 8 minute clip that takes you slap bang into the middle of the woods, wandering in, soaking up the craic and taking in the sounds and banter. I think this may have been Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement

This was a band I missed at Electric Picnic in 2013 when they opened the main stage, so I was glad to catch them, having seen a clip of Songhoy Blues on the Glastonbury stream last night, I'm glad The Beat was a replacement.

Definitely sounds like the guys in this video clip, is this the ones?

Yeah that's a vid of them performing micless after their Sunday gig I think. Peesh89 answered me above, they're called the Hit Machine! According to their Facebook Body&Soul was their first festival performance so here's hoping they'll play more in future!

Yeah that's a vid of them performing micless after their Sunday gig I think. Peesh89 answered me above, they're called the Hit Machine! According to their Facebook Body&Soul was their first festival performance so here's hoping they'll play more in future!

I can well imagine them cropping up at Townlands Carnival and Electric Picnic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,594 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's always a drumming group or two around at EP. Last few years they've been dressed up as orcs and ogres and roaming around the Body and Soul area.

The ones at B&S sounded good, but I felt sorry for the poetry reading and the other bands on nearby stages. Too crowded acoustically!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Bit late with this review but i thought the festival this year was excellent.

Good:

First off the Us&You dedicated wristband thing was brilliant. Instead of being punished for doing Us&You with hour long queues we had our own dedicated festival entrance queue and we breezed in in no time so hats off for that. Also the showers in Us&You were excellent.

Thought Metronomy on the Friday night were very good, with probably the biggest crowd for an act i've seen at B&S, Anna Meredith who played before them was also quite good.

Saturday afternoon was spent lazing in front of main stage for Loah & Mammut, very different music but both delivered good sets. Later on were the highlights of the festival for me, La Femme & DBFC almost back to back. Clémence Quélennec is a ****ing superstar, and DBFC tore the roof off the Midnight Circus. Totally lived up to their set at EP last year. Caught an hour of Vitalic on the main stage later which was perfect for the mood i was in.

Sunday i caught some of Sinkane before heading over to see the Moonlandingz who weren't on due to all the cancellations on Sunday. When and where did they end up playing in the end? Caught some of Kelsey Lu & Ships in the wee hours down in the woods.

Bad:
    Not really a whole lot, i'd prefer the main stage back in it's original spot & Reckless in Love back in the woods but even in saying that both were changed for the better from last year.

Overall i think it was one of the best B&S's i've been to, almost up there with 2014 imo. Thought the crowd were great, the scumbag element that's been creeping in the last couple of years was gone from what i saw, again fair play to the organisers for the changes they made. There was a great vibe about the place all weekend.

Roll on 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Was it just me or was there only one beer on offer the whole weekend at the bars? Some new Bulmers hop house beer. I missed the Heineken pints :(

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

I hope they have it exclusively at EP as well, it was awful stuff and reduced my intake considerably and increased my wellbeing for the following week😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Was it not Five Lamps ?

• Advertisement

Advertisement