Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

after the sherlock game (great game BTW - would love to be involved in the designing of a game at some stage), how do people keep track of the anon games? i find i just cant. who said what, etc. whereas if its using real names, i remember QB said that, or tigger did that, or whatever

Picking a fight helps. Ah there is eva who didn't back me up when I went after Wendy. Etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

after the sherlock game (great game BTW - would love to be involved in the designing of a game at some stage), how do people keep track of the anon games? i find i just cant. who said what, etc.
    whereas if its using real names, i remember QB said that, or tigger did that, or whatever

when using anon accounts, I remember george ww said that, or fred ww did that or whatever

exactly the same way as you said above for non anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

after the sherlock game (great game BTW - would love to be involved in the designing of a game at some stage), how do people keep track of the anon games? i find i just cant. who said what, etc.
    whereas if its using real names, i remember QB said that, or tigger did that, or whatever

Its mainly familiarity, the first couple of games we used them there were rumblings from lots of folk that kept forgetting the names and couldn't keep track. Once you're used to looking at the names it falls into place more.

I use avatars mainly on D0 and D1, its happened a few times were Ive had to check the players name because ive only been using the avatar to identify them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Hey Yoss, would you fancy joining the March '19 game? I have a theme in mind but everything is open to discussion still.

MOD NOTE

Going to setup a thread for off site games and move this chat there.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

attention upcoming mods! I'd like to play again! can any of you advise re your game themes if they would be suitable for someone who has a real grown up job now and actually has to work in work, I miss WW and I want to be involved again but I kinda need a smaller game that I can follow.

Xmas game will be grand for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Pter wrote: »
    Xmas game will be grand for your needs.

yay! sign me up

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

attention upcoming mods! I'd like to play again! can any of you advise re your game themes if they would be suitable for someone who has a real grown up job now and actually has to work in work, I miss WW and I want to be involved again but I kinda need a smaller game that I can follow.

Dunno if I should recommend Lord of the Rings in January or not....:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

fixxxer wrote: »
    Do you guys play over on MU? Was thinking of giving it a look until I realized its blocked at work.

Fixxxer said I'd answer your question here rather than make Pter move posts :P

I play sporadically on MU. They aren't very European time-friendly, with EOD (lynch time) sometimes at 1 or 2am. It's grand if you're a shift worker like me, or just a night owl in general like Stu or sKeith, but for a lot it can be exhausting.

I like some of their features like the on thread vote and ability to pull up a running vote count, and I think the closed nights is a cool idea (all of which are either difficult to impossible to implement here I realise).

However I much prefer here tbh. Just hope we can continue to attract new, regular players so we can keep the good ship Boards WW trucking along :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Necro wrote: »
    However I much prefer here tbh. Just hope we can continue to attract new, regular players so we can keep the good ship Boards WW trucking along :D

I hope so too, but anyone get the feeling we're losing more than we're gaining? PJ's latest post isn't hopeful. And Murray and Mick haven't played in a few games. I get excited when I see new names signing up, but it feels like more times than not they don't turn up, a la Sinbad. I'm just happy deco did at least.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I hope so too, but anyone get the feeling we're losing more than we're gaining? PJ's latest post isn't hopeful. And Murray and Mick haven't played in a few games. I get excited when I see new names signing up, but it feels like more times than not they don't turn up, a la Sinbad. I'm just happy deco did at least.

In the past year we've definitely lost more than we've gained in regular players.

Likes of Jayop, mahama, couple of others also come to mind tbh.

However we've also picked up a few in kitten, fixxxer so it's probably at a SLIGHT net loss rather than a huge one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think themes will draw people in, this time of year is pretty poor for new people I reckon, close to Xmas etc. We've also been comfortably getting 24 sign ups to every game which is very healthy.

One or two people have dropped off but I think most of them will come back. It's concerning when regulars go missing for extended periods but they'll find their way back

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In the past year we've definitely lost more than we've gained in regular players.

Likes of Jayop, mahama, couple of others also come to mind tbh.

However we've also picked up a few in kitten, fixxxer so it's probably at a SLIGHT net loss rather than a huge one.

We need Necro in a big bad wolf costume and clip board recruiting people in the street, like some bizarre charity mugger.

Necro "Sir, can I interest you in an adventure where you lie and decieve others for your own gain before murdering them"

Passer by "Im already a member of Sinn Fein, thanks though"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

One idea I had for folks of the my next modding adventure would be to submit theme suggestions via PM. Myself and Lord are hashing out ideas right now for Febs game

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think themes will draw people in, this time of year is pretty poor for new people I reckon, close to Xmas etc. We've also been comfortably getting 24 sign ups to every game which is very healthy.

One or two people have dropped off but I think most of them will come back. It's concerning when regulars go missing for extended periods but they'll find their way back

Yeah you're likely correct there. Themes are a good draw so hopefully the upcoming ones listed (LOTR, Game of Thrones, Outlander, Silent Hill, South Park) will prove to be fairly popular.
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    We need Necro in a big bad wolf costume and clip board recruiting people in the street, like some bizarre charity mugger.

Necro "Sir, can I interest you in an adventure where you lie and decieve others for your own gain before murdering them"

Passer by "Im already a member of Sinn Fein, thanks though"

Errrr... sure :D I've enough experience from being the dame to pull that off... I think:pac:
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    One idea I had for folks of the my next modding adventure would be to submit theme suggestions via PM. Myself and Lord are hashing out ideas right now for Febs game

Oooh that ain't a bad idea actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Somebody before March should run a brexit game
    edit: OR run a mid month vanilla game and name everybody prominent brexit politicians and just rand the wolves.

sKeith wrote:
    Somebody before March should run a brexit game edit: OR run a mid month vanilla game and name everybody prominent brexit politicians and just rand the wolves.

Was hoping to do this once we have confirmed dates for the Feb and Mar games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Damn, Even although I posted on thread about a game idea, I can't remember what it was. And can't be trawelling back through. Can anyone remember?

Damn, Even although I posted on thread about a game idea, I can't remember what it was. And can't be trawelling back through. Can anyone remember?

I'm a Celebrity?

• Advertisement

I'm a Celebrity?

Haha yeah. I really couldn't think!

Instead of quizzed, we do bush tucker trials of some sort. could be a larf

Must say I love the inclusion of quizzes/spheres/ITAs in recent games.

I think they nicely break up the day tbh.

Must say I love the inclusion of quizzes/spheres/ITAs in recent games.

I think they nicely break up the day tbh.

Me too. If I could make one suggestion though is that the morning quiz was too close to the munch. Maybe that was deliberate? But it did mean that the newly dead didn't get spoken about much (some people mentioned this). As a wolf, that suited me grand, but personally I'd leave a group event like that until at least 11am.

Haha yeah. I really couldn't think!

Instead of quizzed, we do bush tucker trials of some sort. could be a larf

Mods get everyone's home address on sign-up and express out a box of spiders or snakes to each and the one who lasts longest / eats most, etc, wins lynch immunity :P.

Me too. If I could make one suggestion though is that the morning quiz was too close to the munch. Maybe that was deliberate? But it did mean that the newly dead didn't get spoken about much (some people mentioned this). As a wolf, that suited me grand, but personally I'd leave a group event like that until at least 11am.

Other side is I guess it depends on mod availability.

Not everyone is mad like me who reads the entire thread and backrooms whilst modding and seems to be omnipotent :pac:

Mods get everyone's home address on sign-up and express out a box of spiders or snakes to each and the one who lasts longest / eats most, etc, wins lynch immunity :P.

Now that there are edible insects making onto the market, this wont be that hard to do. We will just use the program zoom for the bushtucker trials and can all sit and watch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I have some edible insects for school. Happy to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m not looking to settle any scores or intentionally upset anybody but just want to give my own feedback on the WW game.

I said on thread that I took a back seat to Jack in the recent game when it looked like he was taking the village lead. Now I had my strong suspicions on the kind of way Jack was playing and who it reminded me of, but thought that it’s not impossible to have two similar kind of players in a game.

I have no problem taking a back seat to others in a game and I know I’m quite limited strategically as a player but to be frank I don’t enjoy the strategy employed by that kind of player. It’s like when I am playing 5 aside and there is a player shouting and barking orders at others. I’m like “STFU, I’m here to enjoy myself , you keep your over competitive bullsh*t to yourself”. That’s sort of how I feel here. I’m here for fun and while being a dick can be a legitimate strategy I think people know what I am saying.

I know I’ve lost the head and had my moments were I was out of order in the past but I would like to think that I’ve learned or tried to adapt to the community’s code or of conduct or preferred culture of respect. (Bet the next game I will lose the head and this will look like a monumental stone being thrown in a glasshouse!)

I don’t want anybody to be excluded and hate feeling like I’m whinging about another person but to be honest I’m not intersted in playing in games where one player will continually take the joy out of the game. I’ve changed 5 aside groups cause I didn’t want to get into that competitive arena and wanted to play more relaxed games. And it’s not because I can’t be competitive, it’s that I don’t enjoy myself as much when my competitive (physical and mental level) nature comes out. I can be ruthlessly aggressive and I don’t like it. I don’t speak from an ivory tower on people being competitive because this has been me in the past but nowadays I normally try to avoid this kind of competitive stuff then get in and challange the behavior. I know I mess about a lot (so perhaps I’m guilty on a different level) and I don’t hang around here much out of the game times but just wanted to chime in on this particular thing.

Drumpot wrote:
    I said on thread that I took a back seat to Jack in the recent game when it looked like he was taking the village lead. Now I had my strong suspicions on the kind of way Jack was playing and who it reminded me of, but thought that it’s not impossible to have two similar kind of players in a game.

Hey Drumpot I know I was involved in that regard as well and if you thought my intention was exclusion I apologise profusely.
    Definitely would never be an intention of mine to use those kind of tactics you talk about.

As for the other player I'm not going to comment tbh. Through my time here I've grown close to and friendly with a lot of people on both sides of the... trenches? (For lack of a better term).

Puts me in an awkward spot at times so I just think it's better for all concerned if I stay out of the discussion. And that's not trying to stifle it or discussion around it, just my position when it comes to the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hey Drumpot I know I was involved in that regard as well and if you thought my intention was exclusion I apologise profusely.
    Definitely would never be an intention of mine to use those kind of tactics you talk about.

As for the other player I'm not going to comment tbh. Through my time here I've grown close to and friendly with a lot of people on both sides of the... trenches? (For lack of a better term).

Puts me in an awkward spot at times so I just think it's better for all concerned if I stay out of the discussion. And that's not trying to stifle it or discussion around it, just my position when it comes to the issue

I’m not sure if I clarified my point. I don’t mind people leading the village and taking over things. But there are more passive or less antagonising ways of doing it (that I wouldn’t personally classify you in that bracket).

Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t find your methods or tactics in anyway trying to put me to one side or dismissive or annoying. I didn’t know Jack at all before the game and was thankful that he stepped aside so I could be subbed in at the start of the game. But there was something about his methods that reminded me of the way a person in 5 aside snaps at team mates when they aren’t performing to their instructions. A sort of “i know best now just do what I say or get out of my way” type of player. I don’t get that from you or any other players to be honest.

Maybe I’m just a sensitive player when it comes to that kind of play style and my comments were OTT for this kind of game. I suppose im just giving my own personal feedback.

Advertisement