Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Hope all people who voted for Carl, enjoy him pushing all the brand deals he can on to you on social media like A love island contestant....

Chirst what an awful winner, literally worst dancer left wins. As for the rte fixing it for their presenter to win again... they will never get another non rte staff member on the show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Tandey

Post edited by Tandey on

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Ozvaldo

whos carl never head of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Just watching it on the +1 there.

Tbh I'm delighted for Emily. She seems really nice and rarely got a partner that had a chance of winning. Carl obviously the worst dancer remaining in the competition but I think that's obvious to everyone. The show has a history of undeserving winners. I thought it should have been between Brook and Damien.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Well booooo is all I can say, fix it for the staffers, as usual. Wonder what they have lined up for Carl that they needed to push his profile so much. He literally was a clod hopper there tonight and the worst of the competitors. The others were absolutely robbed. Feck off RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Think it should be the last season on Rte to be honest,

The constant mainipulation for one of their own to win was ridiculous.

Hope virgin media or sky can outbid them for the rights. The format works but Rte dont deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A mistake to let the public decide the winner. They would be pretty clueless on talent and would always treat such a show as a popularity contest only.

Perhaps with a mixture of televote and jury vote, you would be more likely to get a credible winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Thing is, would the jury not be employed by rte and therefore the same problem would exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wonder what they have lined up for Carl that they needed to push his profile so much.

The Late Late Show lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

Absolutely ridiculous. He was the worst of the finalists. Imo, it should have been:-

1. Suzanne
    2. Brooke
    3. Damien
    4. Carl

Over and out for me with DWTS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the actual result was the least good outcome. The worst dancer of the four (by far) was declared the 'winner'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I recall the same thing happening on SCD in 2015, nobody thought Jay McGuinness deserved the win

My point is that judges don't always come to the correct conclusion either, I remember comments from them about Claudia in 2016 about her being "so young" turning the predominantly older audience off her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

The face on Carl’s mother in the audience when they said he’d won. No smiles and looking like her dog had just died. Brooke was robbed she was the best dancer of the four finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm not disputing that Carl was the weakest of the 4...but...

A. Kudos to him for his journey. He never danced before and to be fair he came a long way.

I'd give him the highest marks for most improved certainly.

B. He is a presenter on a national radio station. Therefore out of the 4 finalists, he was the best known and would certainly have a larger audience to canvas votes from compared to the other three.

Especially Brooke and Damien.

The reality is, with the public deciding the winner, it's a popularity contest, not a talent contest and these shows are always going to be based on a public vote. The show needs revenue and the voting is the revenue.

So while I do agree, (and I'm sure Carl himself would probably agree too) that he didn't win on talent, there was no RTE 'fix'.

And whoever above said about Emily not ever being paired with a talented celebrity, they clearly have forgotten Johnny Ward. Now, there was a celebrity who was robbed of the win!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

He did improve massively to be fair.

I dunno I have no issue with Carl winning. It’s an entertainment show not the olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well said.

To be fair, plenty of BBC employees have won Strictly.

Three of the 6 DWTS winners have been RTE staff - Carl, Mairead and Lottie.

Aidan, Nina and Jake weren't employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

One could argue about Aidan winning due to the GAA vote too.

He was the weakest in that final too by a country mile.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

It should be called dancing with the STAFF ,nothing but rte employees & associated clingons, makes me furious to see my liscense fee spent on this shite !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Trampas

Technically speaking they’re not employees of rte and contractors. We all know it’s a popularity show. We just like to pretend it’s not.

I prefer the one that improves all the way through and not the one who’s done stag or dance school and prefers to say they’ve not. But each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭littlevillage

My opinion is that RTE are scarlaa at Karl winning, he was a poor dancer and won on a popularity vote (mainly, because he was the least smug of the remaining contestants, imo). RTE know well it looks like a fix... and will now probably have to abandon the show. (and come up with some other scutter to fill the schedule)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think some people need to ring Joe Duffy about this.

I’ve heard of none of the final 4 bar Carl before this. Glee never watched it. Eurovision I just blank it out now. Use to be interesting for the votes part. Suzanne Jackson I don’t even know what she actually does still to this day.

I would have liked to see Kevin win. As I thought he was the biggest improver

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just looking at the contestants over the last two years and six were RTE staff/former staff:

Neil Delamere (bit of a stretch though)

Gráinne Seoige (is she actually still on RTE at all?)

Aengus MacGrianna (retired)

Kevin McGahern (again, is he on RTE much now?)

Suzanne Jackson (hosts one show that is contracted into RTE and produced by IndiePics)

Carl Mullan - ok, definitely an RTE member of staff

That's 6 of the 21 and even then, some aren't really RTE staff at all.

Strictly is the same, if not worse - EastEnders actors, One Show presenters, sports presenters etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pro dancer Kerrie-Anne Donaldson has died tragically at the age of 38

• Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It will be back in January 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was sure it would be axed.

Wilst it's expensive it pulls in a good audience.

I wouldn't rule out them axing another celeb tough.

Emily Barker isn't returning as a pro!

Eileen Dunne signs up

• Advertisement

Tadhg Fleming the people who became famous because the had a bat in the kitchen.

Advertisement