Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-new Peugeot 5008 SUV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Can anyone kind enough add/remove/correct the + and - for going with either the 1.2 petrol or the 1.6 diesel for this car from the list below?

1.2 Petrol
    +Newer engine
    +Cleaner
    +Cheaper to buy

-Not strong enough when fully loaded (? not sure if that's true)
    -Less mpg

1.6 Diesel
    +More mpg
    +In my mileage about 550euro cheaper on gas per year (if prices remain as is)

-Older heavier engine

I am just trying to make a balanced decision, I am not a petrol head and I don't have a specific incline in any type of engine. I currently drive both a petrol and a diesel. I prefer the diesel because i can almost do 950kms on avg per tank. In the petrol i can barely do 550. (different engines/cars so not really comparable, but still two saloon cars.)

Ok the diesel will not do more MPG. This is a common misconception with most drivers. What type of driving are you doing? Long journeys? how many KM? I am talking about the day to day mundane driving, not the odd weekend 200km trip away.

The petrol does not have less power and it is strong enough.

Best to figure out what your driving is. I took a good long hard look at my driving, discounted the odd long trip and just looked at what we do for 350 days a year which is small trips. So I swapped Audi A6 to eGolf electric. Now I have 2Ltr SMAX and again I looking at what we do with it. Bar the odd weekend it is 20-30km trips at a time. If they had Hybrid in 5008 it would be perfect

You also need to take into consideration how long you expect to keep car, I expect to buy and keep for 10 years. In that time, and no matter what the diesel heads say on here, there will be at least be some sort of diesel ban in Dublin. I would expect, hope, for more of a ban on diesel. If you think I am mad look at what majority of countries in World is doing...London for instance is going to double congestion charge for diesel compare to petrol.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Can anyone kind enough add/remove/correct the + and - for going with either the 1.2 petrol or the 1.6 diesel for this car from the list below?

1.2 Petrol
    +Newer engine
    +Cleaner
    +Cheaper to buy
    -Not strong enough when fully loaded (? not sure if that's true)
    -Less mpg
    - Marginally more expensive to tax

1.6 Diesel
    +More mpg
    +In my mileage about 550euro cheaper on gas per year (if prices remain as is)
    + Cheaper to tax
    - Requires AdBlue (around €15 every 10000km)
    -Older heavier engine

My three pennies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Thank you both. In all honesty my driving is short distances for everyday stuff. If/when I get the 5008, I plan to replace the diesel with a Leaf for the 15k commute every day.
    Edit: I don't plan to replace the car for the foreseeable future, at least 10-12 years will stay with me.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok the diesel will not do more MPG. This is a common misconception with most drivers. What type of driving are you doing? Long journeys? how many KM? I am talking about the day to day mundane driving, not the odd weekend 200km trip away.

I am not sure what you mean on the first sentence. My experience with two different cars with a 50l tank, petrol does around 550, diesel does at least 850 on the same routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Based on my driving, its looking like I will get the 1.2 petrol.... However before I do I would like to understand the MPG average on the GT LINE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

For those who have made enquiries, are you all looking at 181 cars or what is the lead time for delivery?

Amberjack wrote: »
    For those who have made enquiries, are you all looking at 181 cars or what is the lead time for delivery?

I asked yesterday and they said it would be a 181....but I did not say what spec/engine I was looking at so that would suggest all of them would be 181

Now this is from the person who said she had no idea they would get a demo model this year.

The main peugeot guy was not there, so I am dropping over in next hour and see what he says

They told me that for GT-Line there is only a white and two silvers in diesel manual that will be available possible by the mid-end of october. For anything else you are looking mid January. I don't know about the other spec lines.

I am not sure what you mean on the first sentence. My experience with two different cars with a 50l tank, petrol does around 550, diesel does at least 850 on the same routes.

It does depend on car/engine/age etc

But if you compare a new 5008 petrol v a new 5008 diesel for short journey etc the petrol will work out better mpg.

Are you sure both cars have a 50l tank? I know I thought this on previous cars and I was going by full tank till I realized the diesel had a 70l tank compared to the petrol car. For majority of diesels and 50l tank would be small.

I am just trying to make a balanced decision, I am not a petrol head and I don't have a specific incline in any type of engine. I currently drive both a petrol and a diesel. I prefer the diesel because i can almost do 950kms on avg per tank. In the petrol i can barely do 550. (different engines/cars so not really comparable, but still two saloon cars.)

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104341270#post104341270 as well...

If those two are compared in 5008, the diesel would be slightly nippier with the manual and the way a regular person shifts gear. If you're going with the automatic, the petrol will be faster.

Where's that shoe?! ;)

• Advertisement

Ok so I had a proper look at it today but brought the Misses with me

The wife says "no" :-)

So that is the end of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

That's got to hurt, what was her opinion it.

What are you looking at now

hairyslug wrote: »
    That's got to hurt, what was her opinion it.

What are you looking at now

She liked the outside of it, said it looked like a Land Rover.

Issues with it is down to size. I had popped the seats up yesterday and she peaked in with seat up and said no chance. No space at all left with seats up. I did convince her to wait till the seat went down but that wasn't any better

In the current SMAX she can fire in our 2 prams without any issue. She wouldn't be able to do it in 5008. As she will be driving it majority of the time and I got my way with eGolf earlier this year I had to walk away. We did ask for a quote on the 1.2 petrol to see if that might change mind but I don't think so.

Personally: No Sat nav on spec was a surprise, I thought it was included. Has the button which always annoys me having a button that does nothing. The console didn't seem great I pushed a few buttons and couldn't really work out what it was doing. Like I pushed radio, went to pick station and it had gone into sleep mode already....maybe it was just me....

For peoples interest it is a 4 month waiting list for delivery. It didn't matter if I went petrol/diesel so they said it would be 181 plate

We went to look at Alhambra and now just putting numbers together so will probably buy that in next hour:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭rman2727

This is exactly why I'm waiting for the dealers to get in the GT line demos before I show my wife. The active models are very basic looking in comparison. My wife liked the kodiaq, but I think it's extremely boring looking with no design flair at all. Would also be interested in knowing what alternatives you're looking at.

rman2727 wrote: »
    This is exactly why I'm waiting for the dealers to get in the GT line demos before I show my wife. The active models are very basic looking in comparison. My wife liked the kodiaq, but I think it's extremely boring looking with no design flair at all. Would also be interested in knowing what alternatives you're looking at.

Why won't you show her the 3008 and present 5008 as a demonstration how much space there is?

She liked the outside of it, said it looked like a Land Rover.

Issues with it is down to size. I had popped the seats up yesterday and she peaked in with seat up and said no chance. No space at all left with seats up. I did convince her to wait till the seat went down but that wasn't any better

In the current SMAX she can fire in our 2 prams without any issue. She wouldn't be able to do it in 5008. As she will be driving it majority of the time and I got my way with eGolf earlier this year I had to walk away. We did ask for a quote on the 1.2 petrol to see if that might change mind but I don't think so.

Personally: No Sat nav on spec was a surprise, I thought it was included. Has the button which always annoys me having a button that does nothing. The console didn't seem great I pushed a few buttons and couldn't really work out what it was doing. Like I pushed radio, went to pick station and it had gone into sleep mode already....maybe it was just me....

For peoples interest it is a 4 month waiting list for delivery. It didn't matter if I went petrol/diesel so they said it would be 181 plate

We went to look at Alhambra and now just putting numbers together so will probably buy that in next hour:P

Not sure what your budget is but there are a few ex demo Sorento (platinum) knocking around few very low mileage for 37k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Shefwedfan and myself have been discussing the alternatives in various threads throughout this year. Back in the winter, my interest was piqued when hearing about the forthcoming Kodiaq and new 5008. Both were supposedly 7-seat SUV-alternatives to traditional MPVs.

But it seems that the 5008 can now be added to the list with Kodiaq, Santa Fe, X-Trail, Sorento etc. which simply aren't big enough to be viable replacements for proper MPVs.

I ended up replacing my old S-Max with a new one, and Shefwedfan is now looking at an Alhambra....

We went and looked at these, great idea with the auto sliding side doors, finished reasonably well but ultimately felt very van like, which the wife hated. I loved the space but the design already looks dated and I think they will phase it out shortly. Vw are releasing a longer Tiguan with 7 seats shortly, the Tiguan allspace, might be worth a look.

We went and looked at these, great idea with the auto sliding side doors, finished reasonably well but ultimately felt very van like, which the wife hated. I loved the space but the design already looks dated and I think they will phase it out shortly. Vw are releasing a longer Tiguan with 7 seats shortly, the Tiguan allspace, might be worth a look.

It is going to be the size of Kodiaq.

An SUV will never be as roomy as equally long and tall MPV... Simply because SUV comes with big wheels that look awesome, but eat into the cabin.

Vw are releasing a longer Tiguan with 7 seats shortly, the Tiguan allspace, might be worth a look.
    Won't be any bigger than the Kodiaq, so same problem.
    More like four-and-half-plus-two seats

grogi wrote: »
    Why won't you show her the 3008 and present 5008 as a demonstration how much space there is?

Thanks, I tried that one a few months ago, but I think it will be an easier sell showing her the gt line and putting the 3 seats in the second row, hopefully!

• Advertisement

Gwynston wrote: »
    Shefwedfan and myself have been discussing the alternatives in various threads throughout this year. Back in the winter, my interest was piqued when hearing about the forthcoming Kodiaq and new 5008. Both were supposedly 7-seat SUV-alternatives to traditional MPVs.

But it seems that they 5008 can bothnow be added to the list with Kodiaq, Santa Fe, X-Trail, Sorento etc. which simply aren't big enough to be viable replacements for proper MPVs.

I ended up replacing my old S-Max with a new one, and Shefwedfan is now looking at an Alhambra....

Between our little discussions about petrol v diesel :p You will be glad to hear Im back on 2ltr diesel :P

I originally had thought the Kodiaq would be the option but this failed. Then the 5008 as I liked the look of it. I still like the look of it but it's too small

It looks like direct replacement of SMAX but none in area to my liking, so we went to have a look at Alhambra and she loves it. The extra space versus the SMAX and also the integrated booster seats. I think the integrated booster seat was the winner.

It looks like direct replacement of SMAX but none in area to my liking, so we went to have a look at Alhambra and she loves it. The extra space versus the SMAX and also the integrated booster seats. I think the integrated booster seat was the winner.
    Yeah, sensible option - you have a 4th on the way IIRC?

So, the Alhambra a diesel? :p
    You know it makes sense!

Will be too small....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

But it seems that the 5008 can now be added to the list with Kodiaq, Santa Fe, X-Trail, Sorento etc. which simply aren't big enough to be viable replacements for proper MPVs.

What's a proper MPV? Do you mean full 7 seaters, i.e. Alhambra etc? The new 5008 has more internal space than the outgoing 5008 MPV and is similar/same to the G Picasso, two MPVs that sold very well. I think this was always clear with this particular car, its a 5+2. It was widely marketed as a C Segment Compact 7 Seater.
    Now the Kodiaq I can understand the frustration of potential customers, Skoda tried to sell this and continue to tout it as a large SUV/7 Seater, quite simply it is not.
    But the 5008 clearly should not be bracketed with the above, XTrail etc, the second row alone differentiates it substantially to my mind. You can climb into and sit in the third row (Im 5'10"), unlike the XTrail.
    Does it compare to the Allhambra, Galaxy etc, absolutely not.

Yeah the integrated booster seats are a fantastic idea, really like them in the caravelle too. Some great value on high spec Alhambra / Sharan's in the uk, might be an option. The awd smax is also more common in the uk. If I was expecting a fourth child I would definitely be going for the Alhambra / Sharan or the caravelle. Love the option of the table and swivel front seats in the caravelle for family day trips.

BTW I think your missus is 100% correct IMO. For me 4 kids means Alhambra all the way. I remember discussing the integrated boosters, it seems they are not at all standard on the UK Spec LUX SE Model, or certainly very scarce.

Well I was just going by what Shefwedfan said for his purposes - I haven't looked at a new 5008 myself.

I gave up waiting after dismissing the Kodiak - and all the other SUVs - because they don't offer enough width across the middle row for my purposes.

So the 5008 might have been a possibility, but too late for me now.

No I hear you. Go up a segment to something like X5 and you still have the same issue in the 2nd row. I have 3 small ones, but I still wont rule out a Alhambra or an SMax (If I was lucky enough to fall across one like you did!)

Well I was just going by what Shefwedfan said for his purposes - I haven't looked at a new 5008 myself.

I gave up waiting after dismissing the Kodiak - and all the other SUVs - because they don't offer enough width across the middle row for my purposes.

So the 5008 might have been a possibility, but too late for me now.

The back row is seats are ok and 3 ISOfix

The boot is small compared to SMAX and that is issue. We have more kids now than when we bought the SMAX so no point reducing boot space.

The new 5008 has more internal space than the outgoing 5008 MPV and is similar/same to the G Picasso, two MPVs that sold very well. I think this was always clear with this particular car, its a 5+2. It was widely marketed as a C Segment Compact 7 Seater.

That's not entirely true... While in 5 seat configuration the 5008 it might be spacier in the second row than the old one, in 7 seat configuration it has more-less same amount of room as the previous gen.

Plus any SUV will have less headroom than its sister MPV. I can comfortably seat in the C4GP in the second row, I am touching the ceiling in the 5008.

• Advertisement

The boot is small compared to SMAX and that is issue. We have more kids now than when we bought the SMAX so no point reducing boot space.

And you needed to see the demo car to find that out!? It was obvious from the beginning that will be the case...

And you needed to see the demo car to find that out!? It was obvious from the beginning that will be the case...

Can you tell from the current pictures online how big the boot is compared to SMAX?

If you can your some person...

Can you tell from the current pictures online how big the boot is compared to SMAX?

If you can your some person...

I told it many times - go and check Citroen C4 GP.

5008 is using same platform, same seats and same configuration. Yes, I could tell it is abysmal, although there is pleanty of room under the seats once they are up.

That's not entirely true... While in 5 seat configuration the 5008 it might be spacier in the second row than the old one, in 7 seat configuration it has more-less same amount of room as the previous gen.

Plus any SUV will have less headroom than its sister MPV. I can comfortably seat in the C4GP in the second row, I am touching the ceiling in the 5008.

OK, I'll caveat what I said, bar head room :) Leg space is where it's at for us smaller folk!!

Regarding the Boot and that the fact that I have driven and been in plenty of the current G Picasso and own a current 5008, it was clear to me watching online videos that it was the same size boot. But that mightn't be clear to others.

Usually when carrying that extra passenger we just run in 6 seat mode which means you have plenty of boot space regardless. But that's not for everyone I know. The Kodiaq has less third row space (I believe) which allows for greater boot space (just for comparison purposes).

Are you sure both cars have a 50l tank? I know I thought this on previous cars and I was going by full tank till I realized the diesel had a 70l tank compared to the petrol car. For majority of diesels and 50l tank would be small.

Sorry I didn't phrase it correctly. For every 50L I do, I can get around 550 with the petrol (1.6 mazda from 2007) and at least 850 on the diesel (85 1.5dCI renault 2011). I consistently get 5.2l/100 in the renault while most of the time i am close or above 9 on the mazda.

I have no issues at all going with the small engine if it can provide similar numbers to the diesel in regards to range and consumption. I just can't find any concrete information.

From reviews on the 3008 1.2 I saw these:
    Peugeot claims average fuel consumption of 54.3 mpg. I managed barely half that with 32.6, although I only drove the car for just over 200 miles, so I would concede that my calculation might not be definitive.
    Peugeot traditionally performs well in official fuel economy tests, and the 3008 is no exception. The most economical diesel model managed 70.6mpg, while the 1.2 petrol recorded 55mpg. Our tests were in very low mileage cars, which struggled to top 40mpg. However, we’d expect this to improve significantly with more miles on the engine, matching the likes of the Seat Ateca and Mazda CX-5.

And generally I 've seen that above 35 will be quite hard with the size of 5008. So far seems the 1.6 diesel makes more "sense", but going petrol I would save 2.5k plus I'd get an automatic at that price.

Sorry I didn't phrase it correctly. For every 50L I do, I can get around 550 with the petrol (1.6 mazda from 2007) and at least 850 on the diesel (85 1.5dCI renault 2011). I consistently get 5.2l/100 in the renault while most of the time i am close or above 9 on the mazda.

I have no issues at all going with the small engine if it can provide similar numbers to the diesel in regards to range and consumption. I just can't find any concrete information.

From reviews on the 3008 1.2 I saw these:

And generally I 've seen that above 35 will be quite hard with the size of 5008. So far seems the 1.6 diesel makes more "sense", but going petrol I would save 2.5k plus I'd get an automatic at that price.

For 5008 1.2T, spritmonitor gives average (from a small sample, but better than nothing) of 7.15l/100km. No reliable data for diesel.
    C4GP with same motor has much more users - average ~7.5l/100km. Diesel returns 5.6l/100km. source

The consumptions for 5008 might be a bit higher than those for C4GP - bigger wheels and less bubbly shape. How many miles would you need get that €2500 back?

Went to have a look at it today, I must have been one of the first as it was still in French, doesn't seem like he's had many queries on it as he was still fairly green about it.

Anyway it fits us but just about, I'm only 5ft7, if I was any taller, I think it would impact on where i had the 2nd row and in turn the legroom of the 3rd. We would be using it as a 6 seater so there's no problems with boot space. We are looking at 39k for a GT line, 2k more than a Sorento but the mpg is much better. I'm not sold on it yet, she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 messermaguire

Brought my wife to look at it today. She wasn't impressed........and that is the end of my 5008 journey. She prefers the Kodiaq

• Advertisement

Brought my wife to look at it today. She wasn't impressed........and that is the end of my 5008 journey. She prefers the Kodiaq

But with the seats up which you would need for the kodiaq the boot room is minimal. My missus is the same prefers the kodiaq

hairyslug wrote: »
    Went to have a look at it today, I must have been one of the first as it was still in French, doesn't seem like he's had many queries on it as he was still fairly green about it.

Anyway it fits us but just about, I'm only 5ft7, if I was any taller, I think it would impact on where i had the 2nd row and in turn the legroom of the 3rd. We would be using it as a 6 seater so there's no problems with boot space. We are looking at 39k for a GT line, 2k more than a Sorento but the mpg is much better. I'm not sold on it yet, she is.

Really... I'm 5.11 and sat in the middle row and had PLENTY of head room. Sure it was the right car you were looking

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭pete6296

hairyslug wrote:

hairyslug wrote:

Went to see it today. 3 seats in 2nd row is where it stands out in my opinion.
    Can I ask where you getting a new sorento for 37k. Thought they start at 42k for 7 seater?

But with the seats up which you would need for the kodiaq the boot room is minimal. My missus is the same prefers the kodiaq

We have 4 kids that range from 4 - 14. We don't have a need for buggies etc. We are at the hurley/helmet stage. Also, I'm not really in the car that much so my eldest boy who is 5'10" can sit in the front. So really both cars were a good option.

But when I brought my wife and kids down to see the Peugeot and seated everyone in the car we found the following issues.
    1. rear view visibility was terrible. (Headrests are terrible)
    2. seating position in 2nd row is not good. (knees are elevated due to high floor)
    3. headroom is not great. ( Don't even think of a sunroof )
    4. My wife thinks it still looks like an MPV

We have 4 kids that range from 4 - 14. We don't have a need for buggies etc. We are at the hurley/helmet stage. Also, I'm not really in the car that much so my eldest boy who is 5'10" can sit in the front. So really both cars were a good option.

But when I brought my wife and kids down to see the Peugeot and seated everyone in the car we found the following issues.
    1. rear view visibility was terrible. (Headrests are terrible)
    2. seating position in 2nd row is not good. (knees are elevated due to high floor)
    3. headroom is not great. ( Don't even think of a sunroof )
    4. My wife thinks it still looks like an MPV

Fair enough, really appreciate the feedback.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I will have a 5 year old at time of purchase, 3 1/2 year old and a new one just into this world (fingers crossed)

So we're sadly still in at least one buggy stage,

God I wish they made some decent saloons that can take 3 child seats in the back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭pete6296

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I will have a 5 year old at time of purchase, 3 1/2 year old and a new one just into this world (fingers crossed)

God I wish they made some decent saloons that can take 3 child seats in the back

Same setup as you with a baby seat, high back booster for 3.5 year old and bum bum seat in middle for 5 year old. All in back of a tuscon

• Advertisement

God I wish they made some decent saloons that can take 3 child seats in the back :(

Your kids are young so maybe head rest etc will not be a problem.
    Other than that, have you tried the Ford Mondeo. I think they can take a combinations of child seats and bumpers.

Your kids are young so maybe head rest etc will not be a problem.
    Other than that, have you tried the Ford Mondeo. I think they can take a combinations of child seats and bumpers.

Drive a mondeo 08 1.6 petrol. No joy with 3 seats.

pete6296 wrote: »
    Same setup as you with a baby seat, high back booster for 3.5 year old and bum bum seat in middle for 5 year old. All in back of a tuscon

Thanks for that.

Much appreciated. I do like the look of the Tucson

Really... I'm 5.11 and sat in the middle row and had PLENTY of head room. Sure it was the right car you were looking

Sorry, worded it wrong, the issue if I was taller would be that my seat would be pushed back, more due to the way I like to sit and this would have impacted on the 2nd and 3rd rows.

As for height, it felt roomy, with the seats in the position I would have them, I was able to put our eldests child seat in the back and sit "on" and I had leg room.

Not sure if a pram would fit across the boot but I'm sure you could do it as a 6 seater.

pete6296 wrote: »
    Went to see it today. 3 seats in 2nd row is where it stands out in my opinion.
    Can I ask where you getting a new sorento for 37k. Thought they start at 42k for 7 seater?

2 bellow are nearly 38, both 172 ( my figures where off a bit) but the mpg could screw you over, we do a fair bit of mileage and we estimated that it would be an €1100 saving per year on fuel.

http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/KIA/Sorento-PLATINUM-4X2-5DR/5495038191601488262

http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/KIA/Sorento-PLATINUM-4X2-5DR/2562192746570610306

• Advertisement
Advertisement