Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Cardiff, Fri 9 Sept 7:35pm; TG4/BBCWales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    Keatley getting a lot of flak and he wasn't great but there were bad errors all over the field. That was far too good a Munster pack to come off second best at the breakdown. They lost possession crucially at least 3 times for holding on well into Blues territory. The ball was slow and scrappy.

The pack will get their sh*t together but Munster need an outhalf. It's no coincidence that their demise coincided with ROG's performances sliding. Keatley's confidence is irreparably broken at this point it appears and TB is completely made of glass (as well as not really being good enough for what's needed either).

The loss of Holland has done huge damage to Munster's season.

It's a real shame Bill Johnston got injured for the 20s. He looks to have serious potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Unfortunate loss. Not the end of the world. When Munster went ahead in the second half I reckoned that was it all over. You have to credit Cardiff for hanging in there. They had a lot of their first choice and international players selected for that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

How does Duncan Williams earn a wage as a rugby player? One of life's mysteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

funtime93 wrote: »
    How does Duncan Williams earn a wage as a rugby player? One of life's mysteries.

Check out his links in Cork..!!
    'jobs for the boys'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

After the teams were announced I thought we'd be lucky to get a LBP and that's what transpired, in one sense we were unlucky to lose it but poor discipline, execution & decision making combined with soft tackles ( just like last year), inconsistent refereeing cost us.

Other than the three injuries we picked up I wouldn't be too despondent after last night's game but the improvements we saw last week need to built on.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

phog wrote: »
    After the teams were announced I thought we'd be lucky to get a LBP and that's what transpired, in one sense we were unlucky to lose it but poor discipline, execution & decision making combined with soft tackles ( just like last year), inconsistent refereeing cost us.

Other than the three injuries we picked up I wouldn't be too despondent after last night's game but the improvements we saw last week need to built on.

What do you mean about poor refereeing specifically?

Scarlets showing in embra puts last weeks win into context.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can't help but be frustrated that Murray, Earls etc will start at home against Zebre in October, a game Munster can win in their sleep, and weren't available for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

phog wrote: »
    After the teams were announced I thought we'd be lucky to get a LBP and that's what transpired

I don't understand that. It's 13 of the same players who started last week. Zebo was replaced by Conway who is an absolutely fine replacement. Keatley was poor but TB isn't anything special. Plus Stander and Casey were back in the mix too.

It's a lost opportunity but still a lot of good there and Munster had more than enough to win comfortably in the second half. The ball should have gone through the hands more than it did. A lot of time was lost by the pack trying to take everything on up the jumper which Cardiff absorbed very well. Munster played right into their hands and failed to change it up.

There were occasions when the play was extremely narrow with a glut of defenders dragged in. It was screaming for the ball to be put out to Conway to burn in for a simple try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Conway isn't within an asses roar of being a fine replacement for Zebo
    And Tyler B showed his range of passing last week and his kicking from hand was spot on too....Tyler at 10 Keats at 15 works ..but we need Murray, Earls and POM back soon to being a bit of stability to the side

And Tyler B showed his range of passing last week and his kicking from hand was spot on too....Tyler at 10 Keats at 15 works ..but we need Murray, Earls and POM back soon to being a bit of stability to the side

Going on pro12 performances last season I thought Conway had a better season than Zebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Complete hyperbole. The bloke was your first choice full back last season in Europe.

Zebo might be better at 15 for Munster, he might not. It's not his strongest position. But either way the difference isn't vast and Conway is certainly a completely acceptable replacement for a Pro12 game at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tyler B played 66 minutes last weekend. If Keatley had the luxury of cover from the bench last night I think it would have been a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Complete hyperbole. The bloke was your first choice full back last season in Europe.

Zebo might be better at 15 for Munster, he might not. It's not his strongest position. But either way the difference isn't vast and Conway is certainly a completely acceptable replacement for a Pro12 game at home.

I thought Conway played really well yesterday. Did pretty much everything he could have.

I said last week you couldn't judge Munster on the Scarlets performance because Scarlets were just so bad. Cardiff highlighted that quite starkly last night. Erasmus has a fair bit of work to do yet.

On the positive side though I don't think Munster are that far off. In the third quarter I thought they'd pull clear of Cardiff. They were dominating the game and just need to learn to be a bit more clinical about it when they get that dominance. Sweetnam was good again, which is great news for both Munster and Ireland. We need wingers badly so hopefully he can push on this season.

Complete rubbish!
    Conway is a good winger, but a poor fb, his performances last season showed that...anyway, I'll leave you to your hyperbole of soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I don't think personnel were really the issue.

Second game under a new coaching team, it showed especially in defence.

No panic, no need for the witch hunt yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't think personnel were really the issue.

Second game under a new coaching team, it showed especially in defence.

No panic, no need for the witch hunt yet.

This is pretty reasonable. Still some players to return due to internationals/injury too. Losing at home isn't a great look though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I only saw the last 20 mins and i was impresed by Cardiff, I didn't think they'd be able to close out the game so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I only saw the last 20 mins and i was impresed by Cardiff, I didn't think they'd be able to close out the game so well.

After about 50 mins I was positive Munster would win by a score or two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was surprised that when there was only 5 or mins to go and they were a point up they player smart and in Munster's half too.

That was a game they would have lost in previous seasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Complete rubbish!
    Conway is a good winger, but a poor fb, his performances last season showed that...anyway, I'll leave you to your hyperbole of soup

Zebo's also a good winger and a poor fb in many people's opinion. Conway was very good last night. "Not within an asses roar of Zebo" is absolutely hyperbole.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Zebo's also a good winger and a poor fb in many people's opinion. Conway was very good last night. "Not within an asses roar of Zebo" is absolutely hyperbole.

No, it isnt. In fact the very fact that you and a.n.other seem to think there is any comparison between Munsters top tryscorer and a journeyman pro12 level player is quite frankly laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

All aboard the Darren Sweetnam bandwagon. He's going to be top class IMO.
    No, it isnt. In fact the very fact that you and a.n.other seem to think there is any comparison between Munsters top tryscorer and a journeyman pro12 level player is quite frankly laughable

Journeyman? He's been with two clubs. Writing him off as a pro12 level player at 25 is laughable, he has seasons left to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

He's bulked up quite a bit too the past year which was the only thing he was lacking.
    Looking forward to seeing how he gets on in European games.

Journeyman? He's been with two clubs. Writing him off as a pro12 level player at 25 is laughable, he has seasons left to improve.

Well if he improves you can sit there and tell me " I told you so" until then, i stick by my opinion

Work in Progress - WTV's blog of the game

Three Red Kings analysed our kicking game
    On Friday night, Munster’s kicking game – much like the film The Crying Game – was a slow reveal of something that was unpleasant and unexpected. The sensible kicking from the week before at Llanelli was replaced with a variety of poor kicks from the hand that bore all the echoes of the worst of last season.

In a way, I understand why Keatley and Williams went with the garryowen so often. In Darren Sweetnam and Ronan O’Mahony, Munster had two excellent, physical kick chasers. Why not use them? In theory, it was a good plan. In practice? Not so much. My main issue was with the poor execution of these kicks and the opportunities that were given up in place of them. Let’s have a gander.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

TRK has a GIF article up on Sweetnam as well, well worth a read.

aloooof wrote: »
    TRK has a GIF article up on Sweetnam as well, well worth a read.

Here it is - must read it later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think you'll struggle to find people to agree with your assessment of Conway to be honest - he's done a very solid job when called upon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

leakyboots wrote: »
    I think you'll struggle to find people to agree with your assessment of Conway to be honest - he's done a very solid job when called upon

I agree with the sentiment that Conway and Zebo are in different leagues as players, but I wouldn't agree with the journeyman comment. Conway's move to Munster has probably done his career more harm than good. Leinster are crying out for some attacking talent and pace in their back 3.

Advertisement