Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Cardiff, Fri 9 Sept 7:35pm; TG4/BBCWales

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Cardiff did well

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Imagine you were a forward busting your nuts off to win the ball back only for your halfbacks to hoof it straight back to the opposition. Must drive them absolutely insane. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

It was an attempted cross field kick targetting Dan Fish on that wing who was injured and could barely walk, but it was an awful awful kick.

Oh yeah I know what he was trying but it was shocking excecution. With 2 minutes on the clock you can't put that into touch.

If its not perfect then you end up looking very silly and Munster lose the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Imagine you were a forward busting your nuts off to win the ball back only for your halfbacks to hoof it straight back to the opposition. Must drive them absolutely insane. :D

If your 10 doesn't have any other options then you can't blame him. The execution on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What a disappointing ending. Too much kicking away possession with pointless box kicks and they should have gone for a lineout instead of 3 points with ten minutes to go. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Good game I thought, Cardiff can be very optimistic about this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster look strong in the set piece but their phase play and decision making is mediocre. Hopefully that improves the more time Erasmus has with the players. At the same time though I'm not convinced Munster has the talent available to get to where they and the coach want. Too many average players.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It completely depends on how good the kicks are. Sometimes there's nothing better than kicking the ball to the opposition and arriving just as they win the ball to disrupt them. But Munster weren't capable of doing that tonight. The Blues were doing it pretty regularly.

A shame for Keatley because he kicked quite well for stretches but at the end of the game he lost it completely. When Cardiff's half backs started to flag they had really strong performances from Lloyd Williams and Steven Shingler off the bench but Munster didn't have anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

I just hope Keatley is nowhere near our 2017 6N squad, that's all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Can't imagine he would 1. sexton 2. Jackson 3. Madigan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Keatley getting a lot of flak and he wasn't great but there were bad errors all over the field. That was far too good a Munster pack to come off second best at the breakdown. They lost possession crucially at least 3 times for holding on well into Blues territory. The ball was slow and scrappy.

The pack will get their sh*t together but Munster need an outhalf. It's no coincidence that their demise coincided with ROG's performances sliding. Keatley's confidence is irreparably broken at this point it appears and TB is completely made of glass (as well as not really being good enough for what's needed either).

The loss of Holland has done huge damage to Munster's season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mansize wrote: »
    Can't imagine he would 1. sexton 2. Jackson 3. Madigan

4. Carty. 5. Carberry. 6. awec 7. Ralph Keyes 8. Keatley

Not sure why people are blaming Keatley, Munsters pack were an absolute disaster and got beaten up all over the park, they couldn't manage possession and kicking was the only choice. There was only one team playing in the last 10 minutes and it wasn't the team that was a score behind - at home.

There is a myth that Foley is a good forwards coach, if this evening proves anything it's that that is as far from the truth as you can get. He wouldn't get a contract with any self respecting pro rugby team in the world and should never have been made head coach of Munster. The pack lost the game tonight and in honesty had the ref been paying attention to the maul Munster would have been pinged 2 - 3 times in the last quarter for coming in at the side or bringing down the maul.

The Munster pack used to primarily be the Ireland pack, now they are behind second choice players at other provinces and have no sign of talent coming through. Foley has been a disaster for Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Munster played the last 5 minutes like a team that thought they were winning.

That was a very different Cardiff side from what we're used to seeing away from home in recent seasons. Commitment and tackling immense. The spell on their line prior to Kilcoynes try was unreal.

Munster's forwards got bullied off the ball all night, all they could do was kick. I actually feel sorry for Stander playing his heart out surrounded by that level of mediocrity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Keatley won't be. But that said that was an improvement for him. He has had a dreadful time and you could see an improvement from where he has been. Munster have to invest at 9. Other than Conor murray there is nobody. And it really shows. That said I expect Cardiff to be the leading Welsh team at the end of this Pro12 season so maybe it wasn't a terrible result

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Has to be said, that's a shocking start to this year's Hino.

flogthebog wrote: »
    Keatley won't be. But that said that was an improvement for him. He has had a dreadful time and you could see an improvement from where he has been. Munster have to invest at 9. Other than Conor murray there is nobody. And it really shows. That said I expect Cardiff to be the leading Welsh team at the end of this Pro12 season so maybe it wasn't a terrible result

Definitely concur about Cardiff; born again hard and they have that adventurous and resilient feeling to them, that Glasgow had the year they won it.

Definitely concur about Cardiff; born again hard and they have that adventurous and resilient feeling to them, that Glasgow had the year they won it.

Yeah but Glasgow had a serious squad and a superb coaching team. Cardiff may push into the top 6 this season but let's not go crowning them as an excuse for tonight.

Yeah but Glasgow had a serious squad and a superb coaching team. Cardiff may push into the top 6 this season but let's not go crowning them as an excuse for tonight.

Oh nobody's handing them the play-off pennant after two fixtures, but I was impressed with the way they went about their business and yes Munster have difficulties that need addressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Has to be said, that's a shocking start to this year's Hino.

That doesn't start until the 13th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not sure why people are blaming Keatley, Munsters pack were an absolute disaster and got beaten up all over the park, they couldn't manage possession and kicking was the only choice. There was only one team playing in the last 10 minutes and it wasn't the team that was a score behind - at home.

There is a myth that Foley is a good forwards coach, if this evening proves anything it's that that is as far from the truth as you can get. He wouldn't get a contract with any self respecting pro rugby team in the world and should never have been made head coach of Munster. The pack lost the game tonight and in honesty had the ref been paying attention to the maul Munster would have been pinged 2 - 3 times in the last quarter for coming in at the side or bringing down the maul.

The Munster pack used to primarily be the Ireland pack, now they are behind second choice players at other provinces and have no sign of talent coming through. Foley has been a disaster for Munster.

Get off the fence Venjur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Keatley hoofs ball up for Garryowen, indicates to no-one to chase. Sweetnam hesitates to chase and then commits too late. Ball comes straight back Sweetnams channel and Blues score. Basic silly mistake.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Keatley hoofs ball up for Garryowen, indicates to no-one to chase. Sweetnam hesitates to chase and then commits too late. Ball comes straight back Sweetnams channel and Blues score. Basic silly mistake.

We don't know what move was called prior to the kick, and if sweetnam hadn't checked it would have been perfectly weighted.

I wouldn't use that as a stick to beat keatley.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    We don't know what move was called prior to the kick, and if sweetnam hadn't checked it would have been perfectly weighted.

I wouldn't use that as a stick to beat keatley.

I was on that side of the pitch and nothing was said. I'm not really out for Keatley. I'd like to see the chap do well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was on that side of the pitch and nothing was said. I'm not really out for Keatley. I'd like to see the chap do well.

What's the munster call for a contestable?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What's the munster call for a contestable?

Is it silence?

From where I was and you can watch it again on tv, Sweetnam had no clue what to do when it was hoofed up and he even hesitates in his run forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Problem started before the kick. Munster had the ball off their own scrum and were completely shut down from the first carry and left the half backs with no other option but to kick. Kick should have been better of course.

Problem started before the kick. Munster had the ball off their own scrum and were completely shut down from the first carry and left the half backs with no other option but to kick. Kick should have been better of course.

Story of the game and maybe last season too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Story of the game and maybe last season too.
    Yep, thats about it. Watched the scarlets game last weekend (scarlets in decline) munster showed nothing new. same tonight. fabolous pack, non existant backline. linkage issue, williams, tol, good heavens

Advertisement