Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Cardiff, Fri 9 Sept 7:35pm; TG4/BBCWales

Options
  • 08-09-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Ronan O'Mahony; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams;
    James Cronin, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Dave Foley, Billy Holland - capt.; Dave O'Callaghan, Tommy O'Donnell, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, Dave Kilcoyne, Brian Scott, Donnacha Ryan, CJ Stander, Tomás O'Leary, Cian Bohane, Stephen Fitzgerald.

Cardiff:
    15 - D Fish; 14 - A Cuthbert, 13 - C Allen, 12 - R Lee-Lo, 11 - T James; 10 - G Anscombe, 9 - T Williams;
    1 - G Jenkins (capt), 2 - K Dacey; 3 - T Filise, 4 - G Earle, 5 - M Cook, 6 - J Navidi, 7 - E Jenkins, 8 - N Williams.

Replacements: 16 - M Rees, 17 - R Gill, 18 - S Andrews, 19 - J Turnbull, 20 - S Warburton, 21 - L Williams, 22 - S Shingler, 23 - M Morgan
    Tyler Bleyendaal was not available for selection after reporting a mild calf strain.

Oh dear lord no.

There is no change to the forwards bar Casey on the bench for KOB. Rory Scannell will be the backup 10 to Keatley. Conway replaces Zebo who is out for 5 weeks. Brian Scott remains ahead of John Andress on the bench. No Jean Kleyn in the 23.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

At least it's not Bleyendaal's quad anyway.

Is Andress fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

At least it's not Bleyendaal's quad anyway.

Is Andress fit?

Ah my mistake re Bleyendaal, I thought his issue was a calf one. Hopefully nothing serious then, we can't afford a long term absence.

There was no mention of Andress in the injury update and he played in the pre-season so I assume he's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

An all Irish qualified squad - only 3 not produced by Munster but it counts for little unless we perform well and we're up against a strong Cardiff team. I was more hopeful of a win when the fixtures were announced than I am now after the teams are named.

Hopefully Cardiff just don't care. It wouldn't be the first time.

Hopefully Cardiff just don't care. It wouldn't be the first time.

This early in the season and with the team they named :eek:

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    This early in the season and with the team they named :eek:

They have sent good teams and not cared. I recall a Leinster game where they got hammered. I'm trying to put a positive spin here..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They've won 7 games away from home in the league over the past 3 seasons.

They're atrocious but have the players to make things difficult. It's rare enough to see those players bother to break sweat in these games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No Kleyn involved in 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    They've won 7 games away from home in the league over the past 3 seasons.

They're atrocious but have the players to make things difficult. It's rare enough to see those players bother to break sweat in these games though.

I don't know about that. They've actually been getting better under Danny Wilson I think. They were pretty dominant over Edinburgh last weekend and in the closing stages of last season they put in some good performances I thought.

Their squad is getting stronger from a really really poor starting point. Their halfbacks are pretty strong and their back row is really strong. If they continue to improve I think they could be a threat to the provinces this season.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    No Kleyn involved in 23?

Holland and Foley did well last week and the squad is stacked with locks. Darren O'Shea is outside the 23 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't know about that.

I was really just referring to their performances away from home. They're actually a hard enough side to beat in Cardiff but they're simply gutless on the road.

They haven't won in Treviso since the 2011/12 season, for example.

Buer wrote: »
    I was really just referring to their performances away from home. They're actually a hard enough side to beat in Cardiff but they're simply gutless on the road.

They haven't won in Treviso since the 2011/12 season, for example.

They would be in Europe instead of Munster if they had won both games in Italy last season. Instead they got 1 point from a possible 10. Had they earned 8 points from 10 they would have finished ahead of Munster on points difference (after an equal number of wins for both teams).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Holland and Foley did well last week and the squad is stacked with locks. Darren O'Shea is outside the 23 also.

I know but..
    ..I thought I was so Smart investing in him for my Fantasy Rugby side meaning I wouldn't have to waste a transfer on him bringing him into the side :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I'm really nervous for Munster on this one. A win here keeps the momentum going but a loss would be deflating after a good performance last week. A win here and I could see Munster rocking up to the Aviva at the start of October unbeaten

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

cardiff is a strange team. lots of quality players and shocking results. that said they seemed to be turning a corner towards the end of last season and first game out in new pro12 season was a positive. so they are on the up. not saying who might win but if munster win it won't be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

flogthebog wrote: »
    cardiff is a strange team. lots of quality players and shocking results. that said they seemed to be turning a corner towards the end of last season and first game out in new pro12 season was a positive. so they are on the up. not saying who might win but if munster win it won't be easy

I have the impression that Cardiff had a great run of wins towards the end of last season. However the Pro 12 new website has no access to last seasons data - or any other season's - which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jacothelad wrote: »
    I have the impression that Cardiff had a great run of wins towards the end of last season. However the Pro 12 new website has no access to last seasons data - or any other season's - which is a pity.

Yeah it's a complete pain, but thankfully the Blues kept the record on their site!

http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/fixtures_and_results.php?includeref=699&season=2015-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Weather is brutal.
    Unlike last week, it's not just rain but wind as well. Could be a very scrapy game tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Weather is brutal.
    Unlike last week, it's not just rain but wind as well. Could be a very scrapy game tonight.

Will it go ahead if it's like this.

Weather is brutal.

Forecast is to clear so hopefully it will be dry at least.
    CZ 453 wrote: »

Current weather wouldn't prevent it going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Its definitely going to go ahead. Weather nowhere near bad enough to force a postponement. Musgrave pitch is a very good one and will be in perfect condition considering its the start of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks absolutely fine in cork now. Sun out and all.

Expecting a tough game for us here. Cardiff team and bench looks slightly stronger to ours but hopefully we can get the win.

Sweetnam has made two awesome covering tackles.

Brilliant Brilliant defence from Sweetnam, terrific stuff.

Two very good tackles by sweetnam so far

Cardiff came to play. Lovely try. Good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Williams and Keatley already putting us in difficulty. Keatley insisting on kicking it straight to Cardiff every time.

Sweetnam has had to make 2 brilliant tackles.

Cardiff 7-0

That was coming, bit of composure and it would be the second try not the first. Munster can absorb this and push on though - they look very solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sweetnam :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Wow scrappy but brilliant from Sweetnam to take on 4 guys and pop to Conway.

They all count.

Advertisement