Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions 2017 [MOD WARNING IN OP]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Stheno wrote: »
    Three months.

This may be heresy but I'd not be surprised to see both sexton and sob retire next year due to injuries

I've been bracing myself for the announcement for about a year now. Too many injuries just piling up for the both of them.

Then again, you have someone like Jonny Wilkinson who was absolutely plagued with injuries, but managed to sort himself out well enough to make it to the World Cup final and win the Heineken Cup. You never know.

WilkoInjuries_650x916.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Provided Vunipola gets back to,playing for Saracens in the business end of the season then he'll travel even if he misses the Six Nations.

As for missing the Lions tour, yeah it would help Ireland if nobody went on tour but playing for the Lions is huge for these guys. There is no way the IRFU would try and stop anyone touring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gregor Townsend has turned down the Lions. Howley's to lose now?
    Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend has turned down a place on the British and Irish Lions coaching team for their tour to New Zealand next summer.

Townsend is taking over as Scotland head coach at the end of the season and has decided to lead them on their tour to Australia rather than join the Lions.

The 43-year-old was given the option in his Scotland contract to join the Lions, but he informed Warren Gatland last week that he was prioritising his new full-time job with Scotland and would have to turn down the invitation to work under the Kiwi in New Zealand.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/blow-for-gatland-as-townsend-rejects-lions-wknt7kzz9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,372 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clegg wrote: »
    Gregor Townsend has turned down the Lions. Howley's to lose now?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/blow-for-gatland-as-townsend-rejects-lions-wknt7kzz9

I'd normally say it would be mad for an up and coming coach to turn down something as big as a Lions Tour but in this instance I think Townsend is making the correct decision. He needs his time with Scotland and this Lions tour bar midweek games could turn out to be a whitewash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Please Gregor. You're our only hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

phog wrote: »
    I'd normally say it would be mad for an up and coming coach to turn down something as big as a Lions Tour but in this instance I think Townsend is making the correct decision. He needs his time with Scotland and this Lions tour bar midweek games could turn out to be a whitewash.

Do Scotland have a Summer Tour in 2017? (like Ireland touring Japan)
    Makes sense if he wants to concentrate on that rather than Lions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

wp_rathead wrote: »

Scotland are touring North America I believe, and England are touring Argentina. Anyone know what Wales are doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Scotland are touring North America I believe, and England are touring Argentina. Anyone know what Wales are doing?

Blaming the Pro12

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They've a 6 week tour of NZ including 3 tests and a number of midweek matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Away to Tonga and Samoa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Please Gregor. You're our only hope.

Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?

Scotland have test away to Australia, they might throw in one/two against pacific Islands. Ireland along with 2 tests versus Japan we play a match versus the USA the week before the 1st Japan test ( All we know is the USA test is on the East coast). England go to Argentina for 2 tests and Wales play Samoa and Tonga.

I was wrong above Scotland australia and two other unnamed teams have a competition in Australia

Bad news for the Lions...potentially...but probably the sensible move for Townsend and Scotland.

I asked it a few weeks ago but there must be a good backs coach at club level the Lions could go to before Howley!

Scotland have test away to Australia, they might throw in one/two against pacific Islands. Ireland along with 2 tests versus Japan we play a match versus the USA the week before the 1st Japan test ( All we know is the USA test is on the East coast). England go to Argentina for 2 tests and Wales play Samoa and Tonga.

Didn't realise we play the States. The players will be clocking up a lot of air miles in June.

All we know is the USA test is on the East coast

It's in New York.

Buer wrote: »
    It's in New York.

Has it been confirmed for NY though? Im not surprised tbh, Chicago has got enough big rugby events at this stage. Will be interesting to see the venue.

bilston wrote: »
    Didn't realise we play the States. The players will be clocking up a lot of air miles in June.

Don't know if all this traveling at the end of a long season is really such a smart move by the IRFU. Obvious we are doing this for America's vote in the RWC bid.

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Don't know if all this traveling at the end of a long season is really such a smart move by the IRFU. Obvious we are doing this for America's vote in the RWC bid.

Argentina are the ones who suffer most, I dont think a few flights will will do much if any harm to Ireland. Argentina/Jaguares have had something ridiculous like 55 long haul flights this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Has it been confirmed for NY though? Im not surprised tbh, Chicago has got enough big rugby events at this stage. Will be interesting to see the venue.
    Ive seen a few articles saying its in NY but no official confirmation. Chicago has got games due to connections with AIG and involved NZ.
    I don't see it as being an issue. Why would it?

• Advertisement

Ive seen a few articles saying its in NY but no official confirmation. Chicago has got games due to connections with AIG and involved NZ.

I don't see it as being an issue. Why would it?

I knew that with AIG being sponsors. The issue is player welfare, I dont remember there being so much travel in one season for the Irish team, already traveled to America in November, traveling against in June and then Japan. I would hope a lot of the older players like Trimble, D.Ryan, Toner, etc will be left home to rest for the new season.

I knew that with AIG being sponsors. The issue is player welfare, I dont remember there being so much travel in one season for the Irish team, already traveled to America in November, traveling against in June and then Japan. I would hope a lot of the older players like Trimble, D.Ryan, Toner, etc will be left home to rest for the new season.

I would imagine there's a realistic chance Toner won't be getting the summer of regardless of Irish duty.

A flight to and from Chicago isnt going to cause any player welfare issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

realistically the US game can be a development side of sorts. We're not tallking about putting miles on the clock for the spine of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    realistically the US game can be a development side of sorts. We're not tallking about putting miles on the clock for the spine of the team.

It depends if the US get a full release of players. If not then a development Irish side would probably crush them like the NZ Maori did in Chicago.
    They would be a lot better with the likes of Manoa, MacGinty and Wyles available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

It depends if the US get a full release of players. If not then a development Irish side would probably crush them like the NZ Maori did in Chicago.
    They would be a lot better with the likes of Manoa, MacGinty and Wyles available.

In terms of courting the vote we're probably better off not hammering them. It'd be good to give them and ourselves a real test.

The issue is player welfare

The issue for YOU is player welfare.

Its not an issue considering most players will hop on a long haul flight the day after their last game of the season for a holiday. Its also not an issue as it'll be June and their last long haul flight will have been in November.

Going to Japan two and a bit years out from the WC isn't a bad idea though. Sure we may only have a handful of players there who will go to the WC but it will be useful for the management to have a look at various venues etc for training, places to stay and just get a general flavour of the place while in a rugby orientated environment.

Going to Japan two and a bit years out from the WC isn't a bad idea though. Sure we may only have a handful of players there who will go to the WC but it will be useful for the management to have a look at various venues etc for training, places to stay and just get a general flavour of the place while in a rugby orientated environment.
    I'd imagine there will be 15 plus players in the rwc squad for 2019 who will be in Japan this summer.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine there will be 15 plus players in the rwc squad for 2019 who will be in Japan this summer.

Could be. Depends on injuries and how many players go to NZ and I suppose there may be a handful of players we don't know a lot about yet who will go to the WC. The likes of Porter, Ryan and Stockdale for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Connacht2KXX

With Lydiate tearing his ACL and will now probably miss the Lions, who will the be brought on tour?

Thinking from the POV of Gatland, he'd bring:
    Warburton
    Faletau
    Tipuric
    Vunipola
    Haskell/Heaslip
    SOB
    CJ

Assuming 7 are brought like last time

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

With Lydiate tearing his ACL and will now probably miss the Lions, who will the be brought on tour?

Thinking from the POV of Gatland, he'd bring:
    Warburton
    Faletau
    Tipuric
    Vunipola
    Haskell/Heaslip
    SOB
    CJ

Assuming 7 are brought like last time

While all of the above are very good players and a valid argument for each would be easily made, I don't think it's very balanced. Warburton, Tipuric and SOB now only play openside, Heaslip, Faletau and Vunipola only play 8 leaving CJ as the only blindside. Now, I know the 6 and 7 are only numbers and they could play either at a stretch, but on a Lions tour to NZ I don't think that's good enough and would be disappointed if those are the 7 back rows named (if 7 are named) Obviously, if Hendo is brought along he can play blindside but for me he's better in the row and as with the others I think we need a proper balanced back row if we are serious about winning the tour.

willit wrote: »
    While all of the above are very good players and a valid argument for each would be easily made, I don't think it's very balanced. Warburton, Tipuric and SOB now only play openside, Heaslip, Faletau and Vunipola only play 8 leaving CJ as the only blindside. Now, I know the 6 and 7 are only numbers and they could play either at a stretch, but on a Lions tour to NZ I don't think that's good enough and would be disappointed if those are the 7 back rows named (if 7 are named) Obviously, if Hendo is brought along he can play blindside but for me he's better in the row and as with the others I think we need a proper balanced back row if we are serious about winning the tour.

I reckon Ross Moriarty and Van der Flier will go.

willit wrote: »

Wales will have Warburton and Felatau 6 and 7 for 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

willit wrote:

You'd have to think Robshaw will go, and be the leading canditdate for the 6 shirt. CJ could over take him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

letowski wrote: »
    willit wrote:

You'd have to think Robshaw will go, and be the leading canditdate for the 6 shirt. CJ could over take him though.

Gatland didn't even bring him on tour last time. CJ and Warburton will be comfortably ahead of him in Garlands mind.

Nick Mullins on twitter says gossip in Dublin about the rumoured lions backs coach is "mind blowing". Any ideas on who that might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Lake1989 wrote: »
    Nick Mullins on twitter says gossip in Dublin about the rumoured lions backs coach is "mind blowing". Any ideas on who that might be?

Leo Cullen? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Something makes me think it'll be BOD. No idea why, I know it's daft, but sure here we are.

It's almost all but confirmed as Rob Howley. They discussed the coaching team last night on Off The Ball with Gavin Cummiskey stating it's almost an open secret that the team will be:

Gatland
    Borthwick
    Howley
    Farrell

I'd love to be wrong about Howley. Neil Doak deserves his shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Drico

molloyjh wrote: »
    Leo Cullen? :D
    Lol
    They are all assembling in Dublin as the announcement is being made here tomorrow. Dont think the means its necessarily Irish/Leinster etc.

Cullen be better then Howley though :)

Ok well let's do some deduction.

It's Dublin so it's someone in Leinster. It's not Leo and it's most certainly not BOD as neither are backs coaches.

It can only be Lancaster. He is a defensive coach by "title" but his fingerprints are over our back play at the moment.

Could see Lancaster and Farrell reunited with the Lions!

Ok well let's do some deduction.

It's Dublin so it's someone in Leinster. It's not Leo and it's most certainly not BOD as neither are backs coaches.

It can only be Lancaster. He is a defensive coach by "title" but his fingerprints are over our back play at the moment.

Could see Lancaster and Farrell reunited with the Lions!

It's in Dublin because that's where the Lions are based and that's where the media are. Not because it's a Leinster coach necessarily.

Nick Mullins on twitter says gossip in Dublin about the rumoured lions backs coach is "mind blowing".
    Lol
    They are all assembling in Dublin as the announcement is being made here tomorrow.

Ah ok.

If it's not a Dublin based coach and is Dublin based gossip I would guess it's Graham Henry.

Ah ok.

If it's not a Dublin based coach and is Dublin based gossip I would guess it's Graham Henry.

Whats Ross O'Carroll Kellys diary like next June/July?

If it turns out it's not Howley then I wouldn't be shocked if they simply asked McGeechan yet again.

Buer wrote: »
    If it turns out it's not Howley then I wouldn't be shocked if they simply asked McGeechan yet again.

The only rumour I've seen that appears remotely viable has been Ben Ryan. Certainly an interesting chap. (also, Ben Ryan is an employee of HSBC I think?)

The only rumour I've seen that appears remotely viable has been Ben Ryan. Certainly an interesting chap. (also, Ben Ryan is an employee of HSBC I think?)

Well that would be both bonkers and fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This screams Lancaster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement