Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training + Racing 2016/17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Question for the XC gurus, if you were doing a training run on a XC course would you wear spikes for it or just runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Question for the XC gurus, if you were doing a training run on a XC course would you wear spikes for it or just runners?

Don't consider myself a guru.
    But a great question, with no real straight answer.

For the most part I'd would have just trained in runners....but this would be determined by the conditions. If it's very wet and slippy then you are better of wearing spikes.
    Also the is no harm wearing spikes for a few training runs before the racing seasons starts to get the muscles in the legs used to the different feel of spikes.
    They will feel different than even racing flats.

Maybe the gurus will have a different perspective 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Why would you not wear spikes? I'd hate to be running around slipping and sliding worrying about grip/balance knowing there is a lovely pair if spikes sitting at home looking for feet and a bog of slop at home

jamule wrote: »
    Why would you not wear spikes? I'd hate to be running around slipping and sliding worrying about grip/balance knowing there is a lovely pair if spikes sitting at home looking for feet and a bog of slop at home

Thanks both. Yep that makes sense, I can jog down in runners & put spikes in my back pack. It's bound to be mucky with today's rain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks both. Yep that makes sense, I can jog down in runners & put spikes in my back pack. It's bound to be mucky with today's rain :)

That's what I do! 90% of the time I run in runners, even on grass and around the park, because it's just handier not to be changing shoes etc, but when we do sessions on grass I change into my spikes for them, and twice over the Xmas break I left my runners under a bush, changed into spikes and ran around the park, just to get the feel for them 9as someone above said).
    Are you racing on Sunday, AGYR?

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Are you racing on Sunday, AGYR?

Wrong county :p will have to change to a Dublin club for next year's race :) Best of luck!

Thanks for that spikes advice too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was hoping to get out to watch tomorrow but think I'll miss it now. Best of luck all. I hate the course in Raheny, only did it once when Dublin Novice was out there a couple of years ago but worst XC course I've ever been on. Too flat. :D

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How did everyone get on? I started too far back - low expectations - which at least meant I got to enjoy passing people out rather than dropping back. Warm day for it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Struggled with it today, started right at the back, moved up a bit not much. Been sick all week so at least I had my excuse ready. Good race though, nice course, big turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Started right at the back; I think I passed you on lap 3 Adrian? (MSB, beige cap & shades) Superb turnout, lots of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How long was it ? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Started right at the back; I think I passed you on lap 3 Adrian? (MSB, beige cap & shades) Superb turnout, lots of fun.

Yeah sounds about right!
    Spirogyra wrote: »
    How long was it ? :)

6k-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Did everyone start at or towards the back ?! ( Coz I did too!)...great race though, enjoyed the course, got going after the first lap and kicked on from there really.

Conditions were just about perfect too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Very enjoyable introduction to XC today....was happy with how it went. Be interesting to see the results.

P178 for yourself. One of the lads put the sheets up on our WhatsApp. Doesn't seem to be any times included?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks J; it is all about the positions!
    P178 for yourself. One of the lads put the sheets up on our WhatsApp. Doesn't seem to be any times included?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Poorly executed race for me, dying in lap 3 and then picking up a bit at the end after a clubmate got me going again. No idea of position except based on W Wubble's report possibly around 211 of the 261, which would be roughly on par with previous outings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »
    How did everyone get on? I started too far back - low expectations - which at least meant I got to enjoy passing people out rather than dropping back. Warm day for it!

you looked good, Ray! its hard to get a good start as it narrows quite quickly!

I was pretty happy. 35th & 4th scorer. Woud have liked to have been a bit higher up for the team as we were just 6 points off the joint silver/bronze score. we had 30 women running and great home support. hope you all enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

All the action from the Wicklow Masters is up on my FB, let me know if you can't find them.

results are up here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

You appear in some of our pics, Ray. One of our lads was just in front of you, but I think you passed him. Looked like you had a good run, and you pipped us in the 0-50s. I went off a little quick, and got done by several team-mates on the last lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Tough day yesterday, unfortunately I finished well down the field, near the back actually. Nearly killed myself to hold position on the final lap.

Still a good day out, and valuable experience.

Great weather and even better support... Hanging today...

Are there any full results out there? Dublin county board's results are a little light on detail.

davedanon wrote: »
    Are there any full results out there? Dublin county board's results are a little light on detail.

there's two worksheets on the county board results. It opens on the team and top 3 per category, but the other page has all results
    (you were 176, 27.57)

Thanks, Ray.

Hmm. checking again, I had downloaded the file this morning, but I can find no sign of a second page. Where am I going astray?

davedanon wrote: »
    Hmm. checking again, I had downloaded the file this morning, but I can find no sign of a second page. Where am I going astray?

:confused:
    I downloaded it this morning. At the bottom of the page it opens on there's a Category tab, but there's also a Result tab which lists everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

:confused:
    I downloaded it this morning. At the bottom of the page it opens on there's a Category tab, but there's also a Result tab which lists everyone

It's an excel spreadsheet - Might look different on different devices. On an iPhone/iPad for example, the two tabs are at the top (if viewed in browser).

Times (at the slow end at least) look a bit off to me, fwiw.

It's ok, I figured it out. I'd agree on the times, my garmin reckoned 27.05 but I was given 27.41 - no way that amount of time elapsed after the gun. No matter, times not important in xc.

• Advertisement

Details of the Leinster Masters races including maps in the link below.

Looks like a very twisty circuit, which the aul fellas have to go around three times...

https://athleticsleinster.org/images/entry_forms/Course%20Maps%20Leinster%20Cross%20Country%20January%202017-3.pdf

Advertisement