Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training + Racing 2016/17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

adrian522 wrote: »
    Most XC races are for club runners. On October 16th there is a race in the PP that is open to anyone and the BHAA races are open to anyone:

https://bhaa.ie/events/

What race is it on the 16th? Is registration online?

Many thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tommy Max wrote: »
    What race is it on the 16th? Is registration online?

Athletics Ireland Open Cross Country
    https://events.athleticsireland.ie/ps/event/AutumnOpen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

There'll be a few from the club running the Dublin Novices. IMO it's a bit early for XC....surely the ground will be rock hard if this weather keeps up?
    It was pretty dry last year too - just wear short spikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'll be away for the novice, sob, sob - really sorry to miss it! But I will be back for Abbotstown on 16th. Anyone doing it? What's the course like?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'll be away for the novice, sob, sob - really sorry to miss it! But I will be back for Abbotstown on 16th. Anyone doing it? What's the course like?

apparently very flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭Cartman78

So the cross country season is kicking off for me on Sunday - total noob but looking forward to being part of a team for the first time since playing minor football about 20 years ago.

The course is a mix of grass and trail/path so probably won't need my spikes by all accounts :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Cartman78 wrote: »
    So the cross country season is kicking off for me on Sunday - total noob but looking forward to being part of a team for the first time since playing minor football about 20 years ago.

The course is a mix of grass and trail/path so probably won't need my spikes by all accounts :-(

Same as and not to be giving tips to the competition;) but I'll be donning spikes tomorrow and have on that course in the past, flattened pins on the cinder but just felt much better going up and down that wall of a hill in the middle of the laps especially if it's any bit wet. That course always feels really dead to me for some reason and I don't know if it's just mental or physical but I run a lot quicker there with spikes. Only word of caution is that wearing spikes if you're not used to them on cinder could cause some blistering of calf pain from the stretching so I'd go with normal runners in that case. Going to go with 6mm spikes myself.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Same as and not to be giving tips to the competition;) but I'll be donning spikes tomorrow and have on that course in the past, flattened pins on the cinder but just felt much better going up and down that wall of a hill in the middle of the laps especially if it's any bit wet. That course always feels really dead to me for some reason and I don't know if it's just mental or physical but I run a lot quicker there with spikes. Only word of caution is that wearing spikes if you're not used to them on cinder could cause some blistering of calf pain from the stretching so I'd go with normal runners in that case. Going to go with 6mm spikes myself.

I guess you're talking about Bilboa (Limerick)?

Really enjoyed yesterday I have to say....didn't go with the spikes in the end but not sure if it would have made much difference for me tbh.

Struggled a bit in the last couple of laps but happy to come away with my first ever medal (team) in almost 13 years of running

Did anybody run the Star of the Sea cross country yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I guess you're talking about Bilboa (Limerick)?

Really enjoyed yesterday I have to say....didn't go with the spikes in the end but not sure if it would have made much difference for me tbh.

Struggled a bit in the last couple of laps but happy to come away with my first ever medal (team) in almost 13 years of running

Well done man.

Talking about Bilboa alright. XC will bring on your endurance a lot so you'll get better and better at holding on towards the end of races as you get out and do it more, although nearly everyone slows down in XC anyway. I'd a good race yesterday, a lot better than expected and finished ahead of a few people I didn't think I would and made a small contribution to the team so happy with that. Enjoyed getting back out on the grass as well to race.

Will you be giving senior a go next week?

• Advertisement

El Caballo wrote: »
    Well done man.

Talking about Bilboa alright. XC will bring on your endurance a lot so you'll get better and better at holding on towards the end of races as you get out and do it more, although nearly everyone slows down in XC anyway. I'd a good race yesterday, a lot better than expected and finished ahead of a few people I didn't think I would and made a small contribution to the team so happy with that. Enjoyed getting back out on the grass as well to race.

Will you be giving senior a go next week?

I'd love to give it a go alright but if I manage to get a ticket for the All-Ireland and if Mayo somehow miraculously win it, then I'll probably be driving like a loony up to Castlebar on Sunday morning :D

I learned a lot alright yesterday - didn't really run a clever race but probably ran to my max potential due to my recent injury niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Hi I have signed up to run on Sunday.
    Re being a club runner - I coach the kids at my local club and by virtue of that I have received an Athletics Ireland card. Is that sufficient to register and get a number on the day?
    Our club is child oriented and to the best of my knowledge no other adults run as club members.

Another thought is that I am a member of IMRA and have a number for that

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

RayCun wrote: »
    apparently very flat

If it's the same one the used for the Inter-varsities a few years back its as flat as a pancake with only a few hairpin turns around tree ridges on what was a 2k loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

midonogh wrote: »
    Hi I have signed up to run on Sunday.
    Re being a club runner - I coach the kids at my local club and by virtue of that I have received an Athletics Ireland card. Is that sufficient to register and get a number on the day?
    Our club is child oriented and to the best of my knowledge no other adults run as club members.

Another thought is that I am a member of IMRA and have a number for that

Thanks

If you have an AAI membership number the club have signed you up as part of the club. This was probably done for insurance purposes given that you are working with club athletes. As long as you have entered prior to the closing date (not day of) should be fine to compete.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The Dublin Novice was in St Anne's a few years back and it was twenty something degrees and the sun was splitting the rocks. A bit unusual alright but I'd take it over some of the freezing muck fests you get :)

That was horrendous. Flat, dry ground and warm. One of my worst ever races I think. I love the muck, the rain and the hills in XC. I love crossing the finish line with my chest burning and coughing my lungs up for the rest of the day. I love having a lie down after I cross the line because I'm literally not capable of continuing to stand.
    I missed XC last year and I'm fat and unfit this year but I cannot wait until Sunday. Hope the forecast brings lots of rain for the rest of the week. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

That was horrendous. Flat, dry ground and warm. One of my worst ever races I think. I love the muck, the rain and the hills in XC. I love crossing the finish line with my chest burning and coughing my lungs up for the rest of the day. I love having a lie down after I cross the line because I'm literally not capable of continuing to stand.
    I missed XC last year and I'm fat and unfit this year but I cannot wait until Sunday. Hope the forecast brings lots of rain for the rest of the week. :D:D

+1 to this :D but you skipped the bit where its so cold you can't actually feel your legs, which is a blessing in disguise!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Anybody know anything about the Autumn Open XC on the 16th, what distance are the men's race? What is the course like in Abbotstown? Just seen there it's €15 to enter which I have to say I thought was pretty steep for an XC race.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about the Autumn Open XC on the 16th, what distance are the men's race? What is the course like in Abbotstown? Just seen there it's €15 to enter which I have to say I thought was pretty steep for an XC race.

Think the course is flat.

The races look complicated, because there are two races but two distances in each race

2.00 pm start
    U20 and O65 Women - 4000m
    Women from Senior to O60 - 6000m
    Men O65 - 6000m

2.35 pm start
    Junior Men - 6000m
    Men from Senior to O60 - 8000m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RayCun wrote: »
    Think the course is flat.

The races look complicated, because there are two races but two distances in each race

2.00 pm start
    U20 and O65 Women - 4000m
    Women from Senior to O60 - 6000m
    Men O65 - 6000m

2.35 pm start
    Junior Men - 6000m
    Men from Senior to O60 - 8000m

Thanks Ray. Probably a 2k lap with the junior men dropping after 3 laps and then 4 for seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yea, I said that but its the only race I ever dropped out of so obviously something was amiss. I would be of the opinion that the Dublin Novice is a bit too early in the year. They could do with starting a little later and not trying to get almost everything squeezed in by December. Sure that's only the start of winter in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Yea, I said that but its the only race I ever dropped out of so obviously something was amiss. I would be of the opinion that the Dublin Novice is a bit too early in the year. They could do with starting a little later and not trying to get almost everything squeezed in by December. Sure that's only the start of winter in Ireland.

You could always come home and run the Tipp novice. ;)
    But that's on this Sunday as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks Ray. Probably a 2k lap with the junior men dropping after 3 laps and then 4 for seniors.

https://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2016/02/a-look-at-national-sports-campusindoor.html

1500 lap per this but recently heard at a meeting there is a 2k lap wherever that is extended to and that there will be hills built into the course .
    Hopefully it is a longer lap as given the profile of the field with very fast juniors and seniors and lots of masters at the other end using it as the masters trial a 1500 lap just means lapping and all the pain associated with that for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

A few more xc venues confirmed:

Leinster Novice in Tyrellspass
    Leinster Senior TBD
    Inter-clubs in Abbotstown
    National Novice in Dundalk IT
    Leinster Inter/Masters in Dunboyne
    National Masters is in Waterford IT
    National Intermediate is still TBD

I wasn't planning on doing the National Masters but did the Novice in 2013 in Waterford IT, I was carrying an injury and stank the place out but it was a really great xc course to run on. Seemed to have about four long uphills and one short steep downhill!

Dundalk IT hosted intercounties and interclubs in recent years, as well as the inters and masters this year, so the only one it hasn't hosted recently is the Novice! I think the last time was 2006?

In terms of the Leinster champs, Dunboyne is as dull as they come in terms of courses, but I don't know anything about Tyrellspass. Anyone know anything about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Sacksian wrote: »

Leinster Senior TBD

I wasn't planning on doing the National Masters but did the Novice in 2013 in Waterford IT, I was carrying an injury and stank the place out but it was a really great xc course to run on. Seemed to have about four long uphills and one short steep downhill!

Dundalk IT hosted intercounties and interclubs in recent years, as well as the inters and masters this year, so the only one it hasn't hosted recently is the Novice! I think the last time was 2006?

In terms of the Leinster champs, Dunboyne is as dull as they come in terms of courses, but I don't know anything about Tyrellspass. Anyone know anything about it?

Why are all the venues in the East, nothing central at all. More huge mileage for the country bumpkins out west , 600k+ round trips to masters/novices etc do clubs/counties get to bid at all ?
    And a six week season for seniors what the hell is that about over by the end of Nov unless you are top 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Leinster Senior TBD

I planning on running the Leinster Novice as my comeback race. Anyone know what the course(Tyrellspass)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

could the 20min 5k man run any of them races or would they be better off sticking to their club county stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

IvoryTower wrote: »
    could the 20min 5k man run any of them races or would they be better off sticking to their club county stuff

You're better off doing as many races as you can. I don't know what county you're in but the provincial and national races have good numbers. The bigger the race, the more likely you'll have someone to run with or push you. It's more of a buzz too. The Leinster Novice can be a bit low on numbers but should get a bump this year because the masters isn't on the same day.

Everyone should run the National Novice before they die.

You're better off doing as many races as you can. I don't know what county you're in but the provincial and national races have good numbers. The bigger the race, the more likely you'll have someone to run with or push you. It's more of a buzz too. The Leinster Novice can be a bit low on numbers but should get a bump this year because the masters isn't on the same day.

Everyone should run the National Novice before they die.

I will run my county races alright, all levels there.

IvoryTower wrote: »

Leinster Novice XC results from last year are here, novice men on p15
    http://athleticsleinster.org/images/results/Individual%20Results%20Day%202%20Moyvalley%2025.10.15.pdf
    The winner ran 6k in 20 minutes, last in was 27:50

National novice had over 200 people, down to about 27 minutes again
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Novice_Men_Amended.pdf

You'd be near the back, but you won't be adrift

The one time I ran the national novice I was about 19 minutes? for 5k, I'd plenty of people to race

• Advertisement

thanks lads will try some of them so

Advertisement