Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training + Racing 2016/17

Options
  • 06-09-2016 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

Having missed the track season through injury, I've been looking forward to xc to save 2016 for me! So, with the initial 2016/17 XC fixtures out, I thought I'd stick up a thread for discussion of training and racing: http://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/fixtures/

I'm not sure how definite these are but, interestingly, it looks like there has been a rejig of the Leinster Champs with Senior & Novice on the same day, which I think is a really good call, and then Leinster Intermediate & Masters on the same day in January. It means that there's a proper delineation of the two grades + distances and will presumably mean bigger numbers for Senior and Intermediate than there normally are.

The National Inters and Masters are now on separate days too in 2017, which should give a bump in numbers for the inters (given the usual numbers in the masters when they're held on the same day).

Dublin Novice will presumably be 2nd October, Senior 6th November and Intermediate is usually the week before the Novice (which seems to be a week later this year on the 11th December.

Looking forward to seeing where the Inter-Clubs is - have heard that the new National Cross Country Track in Abbottstown will be used (Autumn Open XC as well, possibly). I guess it could be used for the Novice too, although it does sound like it's going to be fairly flat and I've enjoyed seeing a few different courses in the past few years.

What's everyone targeting/doing this year?

Personally, I won't make any September/October races, but hopefully get to do the National Novice and a few in the New Year (unless the new National Indoor Arena in Abbottstown is ready, in which case focus could change very quickly!).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Masters Trial is in Abbotstown /and doubles as the Autumn Open XC 16 Oct,
    possible the Interclubs is too, but Santry is surely a way better and more atmospheric venue....
    Only one National senior race this year, season over by November for a lot which is a joke but that was the vote..
    Reckon I might try and run a few of the UK races post xmas , anyone done them ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

youngrun wrote: »
    Masters Trial is in Abbotstown /and doubles as the Autumn Open XC 16 Oct,
    possible the Interclubs is too, but Santry is surely a way better and more atmospheric venue....
    Only one National senior race this year, season over by November for a lot which is a joke but that was the vote..
    Reckon I might try and run a few of the UK races post xmas , anyone done them ? .

Santry is a brilliant venue, both in terms of atmosphere and accessibility (always decent crowds), but it'd be great if Abbotstown works out as a place to train, race and watch athletics. I am wondering what the course will look like in terms of profile though - they'll have to stick in some eurocross-style hills, barriers, etc??

As regards the short season, I'm not sure what the answer is, unless the xc league actually happens. There are probably quite a few guys who are out of novice and inter a while and don't see interclubs as an option.

Re: UK races - a few guys in our club have done some of the massive Parliament Hill races, but I think they've a connection with a UK club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

As ever with XC, I'm not sure if I'm really looking forward to it but there is definitely something about it I enjoy, probably just finishing the races :D.

My big aim this winter is to up the mileage considerably and try to work toward consistent 80 mile weeks. Would like to think that this would be a benefit for cross country. Other than that, I'll be reducing the intensity in our Tuesday track sessions and focussing on tempos and hills.

Racing wise, I'm not eligible for Dublin Novice so National Novice will be the main aim. Seems like everything is squeezed in to about a month and a half period (late August to early November) so difficult to know what other races to aim for. Presumably the National Intermediate is on in the new year so that's one I always enjoy.

The BHAA races are always good for a bit of race sharpness and the Garda XC in the Phoenix Park is a great end of XC season affair (usually Feb/Mar).

I'll maybe try and put up a calendar once a few more races are announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Yep it's in abbotstown alright.. Another bit of the good ground wasted on sports.. Was 350 working acers there when it was let out in 2009 now lest than 140..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

micraX wrote: »
    Yep it's in abbotstown alright.. Another bit of the good ground wasted on sports.. Was 350 working acers there when it was let out in 2009 now lest than 140..

Funny place for 350 laptops:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Any tips, do's & don'ts etc. for a complete novice??

Getting my head around the footwear requirements ;) but literally haven't a clue about training and racing :confused::confused:

Have a meeting with my club later in the week so should know more after that but would be interested to hear other people's experiences of starting off in XC.

cheers cm

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

This is something I'd love to do but there isn't any interest in it at senior level at my club.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This is something I'd love to do but there isn't any interest in it at senior level at my club.

If you're in Dublin, BHAA have a winter series of cross country races

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Any tips, do's & don'ts etc. for a complete novice??

Getting my head around the footwear requirements ;) but literally haven't a clue about training and racing :confused::confused:

Have a meeting with my club later in the week so should know more after that but would be interested to hear other people's experiences of starting off in XC.

cheers cm

Simply: enjoy.

Experiment. Find out what kind of XC animal you are. Some thrive on hills, some thrive in mud, some thrive sprinting off at the start and slogging around the course whereas others work better starting more conservatively and picking people off (usually the ill-judged sprinters :D )

Be aware of your physical build and strengths. Small and wiry might do well in certain conditions etc.

This is a really good opportunity to hone your mental skills. You can be broken - really broken - in a XC race and still muster up 'something' from 'somewhere'. Likewise, physically.

Don't let any negative experiences or slogfests put you off, come back wiser and slay the beast.

Train on grass as often as you can. Do reps and tempos on grass (specificity). Get used to the feel of tussocks, hills and trail.

Learn how to tie laces super-firmly. Don't do this when you put them on first as you might need to readjust after a couple of strides and nerves and freezing fingers won't co-operate...

Be part of a team. The camaraderie and buzz you get from being on a XC team is unparallelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Tempted to do a XC race just to see while marathon training. Bad idea right??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, BHAA have a winter series of cross country races

Thanks. I'm from the west, but I'll definitely try and make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Star of the Sea CC on sun 25th is a nice start to the year & a good intro. Its generally not too muddy, good autumn grass.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Simply: enjoy.

Experiment. Find out what kind of XC animal you are. Some thrive on hills, some thrive in mud, some thrive sprinting off at the start and slogging around the course whereas others work better starting more conservatively and picking people off (usually the ill-judged sprinters :D )

Be aware of your physical build and strengths. Small and wiry might do well in certain conditions etc.

This is a really good opportunity to hone your mental skills. You can be broken - really broken - in a XC race and still muster up 'something' from 'somewhere'. Likewise, physically.

Don't let any negative experiences or slogfests put you off, come back wiser and slay the beast.

Train on grass as often as you can. Do reps and tempos on grass (specificity). Get used to the feel of tussocks, hills and trail.

Learn how to tie laces super-firmly. Don't do this when you put them on first as you might need to readjust after a couple of strides and nerves and freezing fingers won't co-operate...

Be part of a team. The camaraderie and buzz you get from being on a XC team is unparallelled.

Thanks a lot for that......pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I asked my question above.

Have been road-running for about 15 years now and, while I still get huge enjoyment from it, I'm starting to feel the need for a refresh and a different approach.

I think the team aspect will be huge tbh....I only joined a club a couple of months ago, and already (after years of running solo) I am seeing the benefits eg. pushing harder in training, chatting to people at events, getting congrats on Facebook for races etc. To actually compete as part of a team is something I'm really looking forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Can I add one vitally important factor which I'd no idea about until AFTER my first XC race?

---Time is irrelevant - position is all that matters.

On my first race (that SOS open actually a few years ago) I was busy checking my pace and not even noticing whether I was being passed or not. Afterwards a club member congratulated me on my position, and I'd no idea what he was on about! Luckily I was running solo that time so it was no harm. So, when you're taking part as a team it's your position that is counted, not your time. For example, if you come in 20th position, your team mate comes in 8th and the other one in 34th, your total score is the sum of those, i.e. 62. The team with the lowest score wins! Simple, but nobody told me! So now you know Cartman! Never mind your speed, just pass people! Best done using surges of speed in my experience. Pass, relax, repeat :)

Other tips from me would be to stay upbeat, positive and enjoy it. If you're feeling negative that will affect your body and running form and only sink you farther into the mud - literally - and make the race much harder. You want to be springing lightly across the ground!

Finally if you're doing a few races hopefully you'll find someone that you're racing against again and again. I had three EPIC battles with a girl from another Meath club last year - the adrenalin from the competition between the two of us was unreal - it was absolutely brilliant craic. Hopefully you'll find a rival like that.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks a lot for that......pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I asked my question above.

Have been road-running for about 15 years now and, while I still get huge enjoyment from it, I'm starting to feel the need for a refresh and a different approach.

I think the team aspect will be huge tbh....I only joined a club a couple of months ago, and already (after years of running solo) I am seeing the benefits eg. pushing harder in training, chatting to people at events, getting congrats on Facebook for races etc. To actually compete as part of a team is something I'm really looking forward to

You're welcome! It's worth getting your hands on Charlie Spedding's book From Last to First for his overview of the team aspect of cross country running. It was super cheap on Kindle recently, might still be.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You're welcome! It's worth getting your hands on Charlie Spedding's book From Last to First for his overview of the team aspect of cross country running. It was super cheap on Kindle recently, might still be.

Haha....I have it on my Kindle ready to go for the past few weeks :D

Thanks again & good luck with your racing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

tipping wrote: »
    Tempted to do a XC race just to see while marathon training. Bad idea right??

My tuppence.

I don't know why anyone would do marathons when they could do cross country instead.

Far more enjoyable, more opportunity for group training, steady schedule of races rather than all the eggs in once basket....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mulberry wrote: »
    Can I add one vitally important factor which I'd no idea about until AFTER my first XC race?

---Time is irrelevant - position is all that matters.

On my first race (that SOS open actually a few years ago) I was busy checking my pace and not even noticing whether I was being passed or not. Afterwards a club member congratulated me on my position, and I'd no idea what he was on about! Luckily I was running solo that time so it was no harm. So, when you're taking part as a team it's your position that is counted, not your time. For example, if you come in 20th position, your team mate comes in 8th and the other one in 34th, your total score is the sum of those, i.e. 62. The team with the lowest score wins! Simple, but nobody told me! So now you know Cartman! Never mind your speed, just pass people! Best done using surges of speed in my experience. Pass, relax, repeat :)

Other tips from me would be to stay upbeat, positive and enjoy it. If you're feeling negative that will affect your body and running form and only sink you farther into the mud - literally - and make the race much harder. You want to be springing lightly across the ground!

Finally if you're doing a few races hopefully you'll find someone that you're racing against again and again. I had three EPIC battles with a girl from another Meath club last year - the adrenalin from the competition between the two of us was unreal - it was absolutely brilliant craic. Hopefully you'll find a rival like that.

Enjoy!

When are we doing this all over again?! :D although I'm away for the one next weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Firedance wrote: »
    When are we doing this all over again?! :D although I'm away for the one next weekend :(

October 9th is the Meath Masters afaik - are you in?!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mulberry wrote: »
    October 9th is the Meath Masters afaik - are you in?!??

Well sure why not :) (although maybe as individual? as less than useless for a team at the moment!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Not a club member but interested in running some cross country races. Any in the phoenix park that non club members can take part in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Most XC races are for club runners. On October 16th there is a race in the PP that is open to anyone and the BHAA races are open to anyone:

https://bhaa.ie/events/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

There'll be a few from the club running the Dublin Novices. IMO it's a bit early for XC....surely the ground will be rock hard if this weather keeps up?

There'll be a few from the club running the Dublin Novices. IMO it's a bit early for XC....surely the ground will be rock hard if this weather keeps up?

The Dublin Novice was in St Anne's a few years back and it was twenty something degrees and the sun was splitting the rocks. A bit unusual alright but I'd take it over some of the freezing muck fests you get :)

:confused::confused::confused:***Noob Question Alert***:confused::confused::confused:

Do teams normally race tactically as teams (eg to ensure that everyone finishes as high as possible) or is it just a case of every man for himself and hope for the best??

:confused::confused::confused:***Noob Question Alert***:confused::confused::confused:

Do teams normally race tactically as teams (eg to ensure that everyone finishes as high as possible) or is it just a case of every man for himself and hope for the best??

Its get from A to B as quick as you can, for all runners. That's really the only tactic. There may be a tactic where its beneficial for a team runner NOT to go as quick as they can, but I don't think it would arise too often.

Its every man for himself really but the best thing about being with a club is you know where you should be relative to your clubmates, so ye can help each other out if you are of a similar level or you can aim to kick their ass if they normally finish ahead of you in training :D.

There's not too much tactically you can do in a cross country race as a team but plenty of individual tactics you can try to get the better of your competitors. I'll not let you know mine though. Trade secrets :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

if theres someone who might score for a rival club within reach ill aim to beat them, I wouldnt be close to scoring for my club so thats about the best help i can give other than tripping someone whos lapping me

The thing about the team running is.....

if you are in a regular 5k or whatever.....and you are coming 36th....or 38th.....or 40th......it doesn't really matter.

if you are in a cross country......it might really matter.....you don't know until the end until the scores are counted up. so you can end up having some almighty battles just to get that one place ahead.

but heaven forbid that your are the runner that let someone run past you at the finish line, and it costs your team a medal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I'd have no chance of a medal as an individual but in xc there's always a chance of a team medal. I've been the 4th team mermber home a few times,which is nice. Gives the race more meaning!

Advertisement