Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Cal kept getting cut off today - suprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Reading the last couple of posts makes me happy that I stopped listening to the show months ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not really, uncomortable topics so Cal flaked out, he often does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I find the Cal Thomas and Marion McKeone bit very boring, Marion seems like a nice lady but she’s you’re standard liberal , Cal is no great thinker either , two unremarkable individuals who phone it in , perfect for Cooper I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Roe McDermott was back from her little holiday today.

In the space of 60 seconds she mentioned sexism, me too and homophobia while reviewing some TV show or film.

She seemed a bit nervous, talking 100kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

I don't know who's worse Roe or John Gibbons

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

There's nobody worse than gibbons. Copper gave that isag gang a right run during covid. Doing the same now with Gibbons

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Jennifer Gannon was beyond atrocious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting discussion Matt had today with ex head of Paddy Power, discussing gambling addiction.

And not even a hint of shame as he plugged the cash machine before and after it, and that the radio station he works for plug it non stop ALL DAY long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Almost as hypocritical as having Roe McDermott on to talk about toxic masculinity..

Well, she is usually brought on to talk about tv and films, but it tends to always involve toxic masculinity.

Matt seems to be out more often than he's in these days, even given that it's the summer.

Has he gone part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I just listened to part of Roe McDermott covering/discussing the week in review on TLW. This is the first time I've heard Roe in a long time btw as she went off radar for some time. You may know Roe as being uber-woke and a sister of a not so good egg so to speak. Well she proudly went off on a rant about women's sports being not treated equally as men's and included the following statement in her rant - "this is the first Women's World Cup to be played on grass". This is factually incorrect but was let slide by Nathan Murphy (filling in for Matt this week) and Ciaran Cunningham (sports journalist) - both of whom know or at least should know that this is untrue. She then talked about injury rate on astro v grass to add weight to her story of inequality, without contradiction or correction from the male hosts; when again, her original statement is not true.

She then went on - of course - to endorse the replacement oif the 7 Dwarves in the new Snow White adaptation, and the portrayal of a white German Princess by a latina actress. She gave the example of Peter Dinklage talking positively about this - easy for Dinklage, the most famous and richest actor of small stature (apologies if that's the incorrect verbiage - genuinely, not trying to offend) in the world and gets offered every role suited for his stature and more. Other short actors disagree, but she failed to mention any of those of course as it doesn't suit her argument. Check out Piers Morgan's interview with Dylan Postl below:

Roe was loud proponent of and indeed champion of "I believe her" and "a woman must always be believed" type phrases in various high profile rape and sexual assault cases over the last few years, but remained curiously silent on one case. Intriguing, and another not so good egg might say.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

No surprise that Kieran Cunningham held his tongue, he too is Uber woke

didnt hear the segment this evening but surprised Roe didn’t refer to the Irish team as being exclusively “ Cis women “

I recall her reviewing sex and the city ( or discussing it in some context ) a few years ago and lamenting how the entire focus was a group of “ middle class Cis women “

Roe has permanent verbal diarrhoea

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus@ButtersSuki surely you know its best to let Roe drone on.

I doubt Matt/Ian/Nathan/Karl even listen at this point just wait for silence so they can talk again. Disagreeing with her would completely trigger her into even more extreme never ending tripe.

Best let her waffle away. At this point shes taken less serious than Mario's Gift Grub parodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Her comment about all previous World Cups being held on artificial grass was absolutey bizarre.

It was, but went completely unchecked or corrected. It was a very deliberate comment I believe designed to mislead and exaggerate a disparity between the men’s and women's games and portray some sort of inequality and discrimination where none exists. I really am shocked that Murphy and Cunningham (both sports journalists) let her away with that when they both know it was a lie.

When describing the prize money on offer again she decried the discrepancy between the men’s women’s funds; ignoring of course that the men’s game attracts viewership numbers that dwarf the female tournament’s; not exactly a like for like comparison.

She also said the winners get “four point twenty nine million”. She meant 4.29, but I’ve never heard anyone describe decimals like this, has anyone?

Oh and she mentioned she teaches creative writing…..I’d love to be a fly on the wall in that class, though I fear I might try and drown myself in ink after about 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Nathan Murphy shouldn't be anywhere near The Last Word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I don’t listen so much anymore. A few months ago Adrian Chiles of ITV & BBC was promoting his book about struggling with alcohol. He’s been very open about it and he made a documentary about alcohol abuse. It’s available on youtube

Cooper was more high & mighty than an Evangelical preacher and pretty much said Chiles was deluded if he felt he was recovering and doing better. I understand a government minister getting a grilling but here we have a public figure sharing his struggle and it might help people and Cooper cast him into the fires of hell as a waster who will never beat the habit.

I saw the post about hard questions and I remembered that segment. Maybe Cooper thought he was being tough. I thought he came across as a dick tbh

i was very surprised when I tuned in and he was the host. You’d have to assume everyone else on the substitutes list was on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

Nothing makes me want to hop in a car / go on a plane or light up a coal fire like listening to Gibbons.

So condescending and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep I’ve noticed that too. He was in Croatia last week. No doubt he’ll be missing again next week!

I suppose he’s been doing the show 20 years now, maybe he feels more family time needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If someone told me that one of the guys from Off The Ball was standing in for Matt then I would have guessed it would be Joe Molloy because I think he'd do a pretty good job

Matt off again. He's off more than he's on this last few months?

Is he going part time on the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

He seems to be not in the best of form health wise this yr.always complaining about something or other with the doctor he does have on .

Hope he's OK, he's a very good host.

(Well he was before he went full woke)

• Advertisement

Matt off today - I wonder has it anything to do with his hero, Joe Bidens, comments in Israel today about the other team being responsible.

If Trump said something like this, Matt would have presented the show even if he was in New Zealand at the time.

And he's not sick, was at Arctic Monkeys last night.

Advertisement