Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I only ever listen to this when it happens to be turned on in work, and it just happened to be turned on twice around the last two Irish Football fixtures.

Matt spent a solid few minutes bashing Mick McCarthy and the team and then finished it off with "Best of luck to them, I hope they win". Trying to cover his own backside by lobbing that in at the end. If he doesn't like Football that's fine, just go back to writing books for dopers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

I listened to the Christmas sports books review a couple of night ago. Matt and two others reviewing sports books.

Joe Schmits book got lambasted, despite none of the three actually having read it. Then they got onto Matts own book about Jamie Heaslip. Matt used it as a platform to have a go at Paul Kimmage and the other two stuttered their way through the review with some meaningless sound bites - it was obvious they thought the book was sh1te.

That segment for me pretty much summed up how far the Last Word has fallen in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

griffin100 wrote: »
    I listened to the Christmas sports books review a couple of night ago. Matt and two others reviewing sports books.

Joe Schmits book got lambasted, despite none of the three actually having read it. Then they got onto Matts own book about Jamie Heaslip. Matt used it as a platform to have a go at Paul Kimmage and the other two stuttered their way through the review with some meaningless sound bites - it was obvious they thought the book was sh1te.

That segment for me pretty much summed up how far the Last Word has fallen in quality.

I heard that, Jeez, it was grim. 'Yeah, yeah, the book was, erm, good, I liked it and Jamie has a lovely smile'.

Rugby books are generally awful, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard that, Jeez, it was grim. 'Yeah, yeah, the book was, erm, good, I liked it and Jamie has a lovely smile'.

Rugby books are generally awful, for some reason.

And rather ironically Paul Kimmage said that in a recent article of his!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I was laughing my ar$€ off tonight listening to Ray Wally, who very much comes across as a wally, fight the cause of the poor GPs of this country who are awfully depressed, underpaid and overworked and, as a result, are moving in their droves to the doctor’s haven of Qatar where they can just about eke out a reasonable living. Oh my heart bled and I just felt so sad for those oppressed GPs. Did you know they are even having to move to high income countries such as Canada to make ends meet. Clearly it’s not possible to make a living in one of western Europe’s highest paying economies. Poor divils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see they are back doing the 6@6 where Matt asked questions to introduce each news story.

I heard it one day when the newsreader just read out the stories without MAtt and I thought they had dropped the awful format.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭fire_man

I see Matt's wife is now getting on Today fm quiet a bit.She will be getting her own show next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭giveitholly

fire_man wrote: »
    I see Matt's wife is now getting on Today fm quiet a bit.She will be getting her own show next.

What show does she be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭fire_man

She has been on Mario's Sunday Roast twice in the last month giving her opinion on different issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I was laughing my ar$€ off tonight listening to Ray Wally, who very much comes across as a wally, fight the cause of the poor GPs of this country who are awfully depressed, underpaid and overworked and, as a result, are moving in their droves to the doctor’s haven of Qatar where they can just about eke out a reasonable living. Oh my heart bled and I just felt so sad for those oppressed GPs. Did you know they are even having to move to high income countries such as Canada to make ends meet. Clearly it’s not possible to make a living in one of western Europe’s highest paying economies. Poor divils.

Ah yeah, mock them all you want but if things were so great here why are more and more young GPs (newly qualified) emigrating. Why is it so hard to get a GP appointment? Why is out of hours service at the point of collapse.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see they are back doing the 6@6 where Matt asked questions to introduce each news story.

I heard it one day when the newsreader just read out the stories without MAtt and I thought they had dropped the awful format.

I hate the 5@5 and 6@6 but I was wondering why noone complains when they do something similiar with the sports reports?

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Ah yeah, mock them all you want but if things were so great here why are more and more young GPs (newly qualified) emigrating. Why is it so hard to get a GP appointment? Why is out of hours service at the point of collapse.

Economics. Why is it so hard to get an appointment? Because GPs are very busy, indicating they are making a nice living. Why are young doctors moving away? Because it’s a very well paid field which makes it a desirable, attractive career path. As a result, there is an oversupply of labour, forcing doctors to move elsewhere. Simple stuff. The GPs of this country are, and will continue to be, just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

fire_man wrote: »
    She has been on Mario's Sunday Roast twice in the last month giving her opinion on different issues.

If it's anything likes her husbands, I'll pass

Economics. Why is it so hard to get an appointment? Because GPs are very busy, indicating they are making a nice living. Why are young doctors moving away? Because it’s a very well paid field which makes it a desirable, attractive career path. As a result, there is an oversupply of labour, forcing doctors to move elsewhere. Simple stuff. The GPs of this country are, and will continue to be, just fine.

You are so wrong. You're actually contradicting yourself. GPs are busy yet there's an oversupply?

GPs are busy because there's an undersupply of GPs. This is down to a number of factors:
    1) Inadequate number of GPs being trained
    2) Non replacement of retiring GPs by younger GPs
    3) Emigration of newly qualified GPs to locations where they will be treated better, actually respected, not sh1t on by the Government and adequately renumerated.

GPs had a 30% decrease in topline income in 2012 (despite costs staying the same). This had been further eroded by the imposition of doctor visit cards (which serves little purpose except generate votes for the Government) and expansion of medical card services (across the board, rather than targeted to those that need the card).

I know you're going to come back with some ridiculous point and I'll again point out where you're wrong but I think you'll always be against GPs and won't admit you'll be wrong. Either way, the proof will be in the pudding in a few years time when out of hours collapses.....in fact, look at the amount of patients now who cannot get a new GP and who have to travel across the country to visit their old GP........goes against your point about oversupply above.....

You are so wrong. You're actually contradicting yourself. GPs are busy yet there's an oversupply?

GPs are busy because there's an undersupply of GPs. This is down to a number of factors:
    1) Inadequate number of GPs being trained
    2) Non replacement of retiring GPs by younger GPs
    3) Emigration of newly qualified GPs to locations where they will be treated better, actually respected, not sh1t on by the Government and adequately renumerated.

GPs had a 30% decrease in topline income in 2012 (despite costs staying the same). This had been further eroded by the imposition of doctor visit cards (which serves little purpose except generate votes for the Government) and expansion of medical card services (across the board, rather than targeted to those that need the card).

I know you're going to come back with some ridiculous point and I'll again point out where you're wrong but I think you'll always be against GPs and won't admit you'll be wrong. Either way, the proof will be in the pudding in a few years time when out of hours collapses.....in fact, look at the amount of patients now who cannot get a new GP and who have to travel across the country to visit their old GP........goes against your point about oversupply above.....

There is no contradiction if you consider that there are a limited number of positions to go around and for those who want to go into business for themselves, there are the usual start up costs associated with any small enterprise. These are barriers to entry, you can’t just magically become employed. Put it this way, if that wally Ray Wally wants to cry a river about the state of the health system, let him do it from the perspective of the patient, not the GP who is still doing very nicely.

There is no contradiction if you consider that there are a limited number of positions to go around and for those who want to go into business for themselves, there are the usual start up costs associated with any small enterprise. These are barriers to entry, you can’t just magically become employed. Put it this way, if that wally Ray Wally wants to cry a river about the state of the health system, let him do it from the perspective of the patient, not the GP who is still doing very nicely.

Right, Dr Wally does plenty for his patients. There are plenty of GP vacancies around, some communities have been advertising for months looking for GPs (and not just in very isolated rural communities). Anyway, I'm not gonna bother wasting anymore time debating with you, you obviously have biases against doctors that I'm never going to change. Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

like law, its a sheltered sector of the economy , the number of GP practices is capped or at least their are strong barriers to entry , this is of course designed to keep a floor under fees , GP consultation fees never dropped a red cent during the recession , most of them spend nothing on their clinics bar a few magazines every ten years in the waiting room , they whine about having to pay rent , wages and insurance as if no other business has the exact same overheads

the campaign of whining and tales of woe is just carefully planned propaganda designed to maintain their sheltered sector from deregulation .

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    like law, its a sheltered sector of the economy , the number of GP practices is capped or at least their are strong barriers to entry , this is of course designed to keep a floor under fees , GP consultation fees never dropped a red cent during the recession , most of them spend nothing on their clinics bar a few magazines every ten years in the waiting room , they whine about having to pay rent , wages and insurance as if no other business has the exact same overheads

the campaign of whining and tales of woe is just carefully planned propaganda designed to maintain their sheltered sector from deregulation .

Ill ask again. If its such a great, money making racket, why are there such shortage of GP applications for roles e.g. 5 miles outside Galway City and why, despite these roles being available are newly qualified GPs emigrating?

Ill ask again. If its such a great, money making racket, why are there such shortage of GP applications for roles e.g. 5 miles outside Galway City and why, despite these roles being available are newly qualified GPs emigrating?

How do you know there is a shortage of applications? Are you in medical HR? Post up such a link to such a job there and I’ll critically appraise why there is a shortage of applications for the high 5/low 6 figure salary. If you are correct, there must be some reason but I’m not buying any of those highlighted by Wally. The money in Doha does sound good to be fair. Should adequately compensate the lucky doctor’s wife for having to put up with their pathetic laws relating to women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

i bet Coopers book is one love fest on Jamie...he fawns over any rugby or golf personality who appears on TLW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭prunudo

Did Cooper and Kimmage have a falling out. He used to regularly have him on as a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

prunudo wrote: »
    Did Cooper and Kimmage have a falling out. He used to regularly have him on as a guest.

odd as he used to defend Kimmage on twitter when people complained on twitter about him

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cooper didn't have a go at Kimmage but considering Kimmage did ask him and Heaslip for comment on the drug test story it wasn't right that Cooper didn't respond until now.

Maybe Heaslip told him not to I don't know but they had their chance when the story first broke and didn't do it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Cooper has obviously taken the hump about Kimmage's reaction to his Heaslip book. Kimmage went hard after Heaslip when the book came out after the story of the failed drugs test. A few Kimmage articles later and Heaslip had to come clean (excuse the pun) and tell the whole story.

It came to a head in this article
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/other-rugby/paul-kimmage-jamie-heaslip-has-finally-spoken-but-forgive-me-if-i-was-expecting-more-38655646.html
    In his statement Heaslip says: "I apologise for the unintentional error of detail in the book, on the timing and location of the tests and the date of my return from holiday back in 2006, and am happy to clarify the matter."

But he's supposed to be a member of the World Rugby Anti-Doping Advisory Committee. And the last time we checked, Matt Cooper was a great journalist.

So forgive me for expecting more.

All rather embarrassing for a great Journo like Cooper!

jay0109 wrote: »
    Cooper has obviously taken the hump about Kimmage's reaction to his Heaslip book. Kimmage went hard after Heaslip when the book came out after the story of the failed drugs test. A few Kimmage articles later and Heaslip had to come clean (excuse the pun) and tell the whole story.

It came to a head in this article
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/other-rugby/paul-kimmage-jamie-heaslip-has-finally-spoken-but-forgive-me-if-i-was-expecting-more-38655646.html

All rather embarrassing for a great Journo like Cooper!

Kimmage hasnt been on in months, well before heaslips book. Dunphy is flavour of the month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

prunudo wrote: »

No Kimmage is taking a stand with the journos that aren't allowed on Communicorp stations - The Irish Time and any journos who wrote stories about Dinny O' Brien and not appearing on their stations, saw a tweet to back this up a few weeks ago from Kimmage. He used to be on for the full Sports hour on a Monday on TLW and nearly once a month on the Sunday newspaper discussion on Newstalk. I kinda miss him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I decided I'd give the Last Word another try to see if there was any change.

They have an even more annoying contributor from some website or other on this Friday Forum thing than they used to have.

She cant finish a sentence without saying like and was like totally saying that the Pope should not have slapped that woman like.

She even forgot what she was trying to say half way through her first sentence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭giveitholly

BPKS wrote: »

They have an even more annoying contributor from some website or other on this Friday Forum thing than they used to have.

She cant finish a sentence without saying like and was like totally saying that the Pope should not have slapped that woman like.

Came on here to see if anyone was listening to her,when talking about the Australian Bush fires she made out Kim Kardashian or one of those lot was doing more for climate change than the aussie prime minister,she had no research done on any of the topics they were talking about and just waffles through the segment

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

BPKS wrote: »

Came on here to see if anyone was listening to her,when talking about the Australian Bush fires she made out Kim Kardashian or one of those lot was doing more for climate change than the aussie prime minister,she had no research done on any of the topics they were talking about and just waffles through the segment

You're not allowed criticise her because:
    1) she's a woman
    2) she's more woke than you
    3) you're men (probably)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You're not allowed criticise her because:
    1) she's a woman
    2) she's more woke than you
    3) you're men (probably)

But the poster just criticised her.

Advertisement