Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S. Dublin Six-a-Side

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

The astro league seems a little over priced or am i the only one thinking that, the per player price is based on having 10 a game which just isnt true.

Think social game is key for now, as its very early to commit to expense of a league .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭S.Dublin 6aside

manafana wrote: »
    The astro league seems a little over priced or am i the only one thinking that, the per player price is based on having 10 a game which just isnt true.

Think social game is key for now, as its very early to commit to expense of a league .

In terms of the cost, the Astro league works out at about 5.70 a game but i'm minded to agree, its best to get a 6v6 up and running before commiting to the Astro league.

Especially so, as that is competitive and we dont know the level of players and which players have what regular availability.

Considering that league is starting in about two weeks, maybe we should focus on doing our ow. Thing and if we have a group that wants to enter thw Astro league down the line, great.

That would also free up Thursday's as a 6v6 day, which seems to suit many anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'd be in the same mindset too regarding getting together first to see what kind of group we have and depending on regular numbers and the standard of players, then enter a league at some stage. I've no real preference with playing friendly or competitive games anyway so its all the one to me.

I played and managed a 6 a side group in Limerick when I was around 20 and getting regular numbers was tough plus we only won 1 game in the league, although never got hammered, but we never had the same team and while it was good enough craic at times, it's no fun getting beaten every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Yeah I'd agree with a friendly game first. We've no idea of the standards of people.
    I play in the Wednesday casual astro league in benildus and it's great fun but two new teams signed up this year without realizing how competitive it was and they got hockeyed by 10+ goals every game.
    Also, I can imagine the interested people list will continue to grow, while if we went for an astro league, we'd be cutting off people interested in a game. And isn't that what it's about, providing a game for people who want one!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

yeah lets go for it, friendly wise don't care what evening next week

as for block booking, thursday is always decent to play ball.....you never know a cheeky pint might come into the mix down the road apres match!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Thursdays for some 6 on 6s sound great.

As others said as well, we can play to enjoy it if its between ourselves and block booking will keep the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Tues or Thurs is no problem - Monkstown is a bit too far of a stretch for me; were there other options or is Monkstown the consensus at this stage.

Agree re: Astro - lets keep it amongst outselves until we have a settled group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Yeah, lets go for it.

I was just at Monkstown 'DLR Leisure'.

They have a good few astro turf pitches (w/ big goals) that look good. They are €65 a session and you book in blocks. That would be €6 each.

If its too awkward I can continue scouting.

Also, were we to go for it, maybe Tuesday is the best day to do the blocks in as the Astro league is the Thursday. So. I'd propose Tuesdays 7 - 8pm if we can get it!

I tried to post the URL and a pic of location but, alas, post count no sufficient yet!

Yeh id go for that, Ideally want somewhere a bit more central as traffic in and around monkstown can be bad that time of the evening, or even push it out till half 7 or 8?

In terms of the cost, the Astro league works out at about 5.70 a game but i'm minded to agree, its best to get a 6v6 up and running before commiting to the Astro league.

Especially so, as that is competitive and we dont know the level of players and which players have what regular availability.

Considering that league is starting in about two weeks, maybe we should focus on doing our ow. Thing and if we have a group that wants to enter thw Astro league down the line, great.

That would also free up Thursday's as a 6v6 day, which seems to suit many anyway.

the cost is 5.70 a night if you have 10 players which you won't,

as for location im flexbile but agree monkstown not easiest to get to, the new pitches mentioned in previous post or along luas line and traffic is never too bad in that area after 6

There are some brand new pitches in Ballyogan. Never been but its just off the M50 and beside a LUAS stop.

Not sure if its any good for ye.

this one, or the old reliable benildus or around that location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

Hey, just came across this thread and would love to come on board. Anywhere in south side suits me. Might miss the odd game due to working nights from time to time but would be more than happy to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

manafana wrote: »
    the cost is 5.70 a night if you have 10 players which you won't,

as for location im flexbile but agree monkstown not easiest to get to, the new pitches mentioned in previous post or along luas line and traffic is never too bad in that area after 6

Based on experience if you are entering an astro league you need a squad of 10 at least.

you want 2-3 subs minimum each match and there will be weeks when people can't make it

The fee for the season should be split across the squad so it's not a case of needing 10 to pay on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Laudrup1

Hi Lads,

Just moved up from Cork with work. Whats the age group? In my early 40s play all the time so fit enough . Love to have a weekly game.

Yeah I'd agree with a friendly game first. We've no idea of the standards of people.
    I play in the Wednesday casual astro league in benildus and it's great fun but two new teams signed up this year without realizing how competitive it was and they got hockeyed by 10+ goals every game.
    Also, I can imagine the interested people list will continue to grow, while if we went for an astro league, we'd be cutting off people interested in a game. And isn't that what it's about, providing a game for people who want one!?

Exactly, well said.

Officer999 wrote: »
    Hey, just came across this thread and would love to come on board. Anywhere in south side suits me. Might miss the odd game due to working nights from time to time but would be more than happy to sign up

1. SD6AS
    2. Chiliconkeni
    3. Colemania
    4. Superfurry1
    5. Manafana
    6. Manufactured Miracle
    7. guile4582
    8. allybhoy
    9. Singer73
    10. Pter
    11. Greg12345
    12. raycre
    13. martineatworld
    14. Senor Fancy Pants
    15. Officer999

Laudrup1 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Just moved up from Cork with work. Whats the age group? In my early 40s play all the time so fit enough . Love to have a weekly game.

More than welcome!

1. SD6AS
    2. Chiliconkeni
    3. Colemania
    4. Superfurry1
    5. Manafana
    6. Manufactured Miracle
    7. guile4582
    8. allybhoy
    9. Singer73
    10. Pter
    11. Greg12345
    12. raycre
    13. martineatworld
    14. Senor Fancy Pants
    15. Officer999
    16. Laudrup1

Laudrup1 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Are you one of the Laudrups? :P Well I'm in my late 20s but I imagine the majority are 30+ but that's just guess work

Colemania wrote: »
    Are you one of the Laudrups? :P Well I'm in my late 20s but I imagine the majority are 30+ but that's just guess work

Can't play like them either 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Greg12345

You can also add a buddy of mine he is well fit and has been playing for a local club for over 2 years, he will be interested in some action as well.
    Vlad that is

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rosenallis

Maybe too late to the table, but would love a regular game if there's a subs list or dropouts :-)

• Advertisement

More than welcome!

1. SD6AS
    2. Chiliconkeni
    3. Colemania
    4. Superfurry1
    5. Manafana
    6. Manufactured Miracle
    7. guile4582
    8. allybhoy
    9. Singer73
    10. Pter
    11. Greg12345
    12. raycre
    13. martineatworld
    14. Senor Fancy Pants
    15. Officer999
    16. Laudrup1

Great count me in

Greg12345 wrote: »
    You can also add a buddy of mine he is well fit and has been playing for a local club for over 2 years, he will be interested in some action as well.
    Vlad that is

1. SD6AS
    2. Chiliconkeni
    3. Colemania
    4. Superfurry1
    5. Manafana
    6. Manufactured Miracle
    7. guile4582
    8. allybhoy
    9. Singer73
    10. Pter
    11. Greg12345
    12. raycre
    13. martineatworld
    14. Senor Fancy Pants
    15. Officer999
    16. Laudrup1
    17. Vlad

rosenallis wrote: »
    Maybe too late to the table, but would love a regular game if there's a subs list or dropouts :-)

1. SD6AS
    2. Chiliconkeni
    3. Colemania
    4. Superfurry1
    5. Manafana
    6. Manufactured Miracle
    7. guile4582
    8. allybhoy
    9. Singer73
    10. Pter
    11. Greg12345
    12. raycre
    13. martineatworld
    14. Senor Fancy Pants
    15. Officer999
    16. Laudrup1
    17. Vlad
    18. Rosenallis

Excellent.

Should have enough for a 6v6 now from the list of 18 and will probably get more.

Lets target Thursday next week for our first game. In the meantime I will look at some other options for a pitch. We can then do a poll on what pitch to play the first game at.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Excellent.

Should have enough for a 6v6 now from the list of 18 and will probably get more.

Lets target Thursday next week for our first game. In the meantime I will look at some other options for a pitch. We can then do a poll on what pitch to play the first game at.

Cheers lads.

Perfect, I'm good for Thursday's game whatever the time and place.

Very excited, cheers for putting it altogether mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rosenallis

Ah cr#p! Didn't cop that it's Thursday's.

Apologies OP -! If any other night got up and running you can count me in. Apologies about messing around!!

rosenallis wrote: »
    Ah cr#p! Didn't cop that it's Thursday's.

Apologies OP -! If any other night got up and running you can count me in. Apologies about messing around!!

Its not set in stone yet.

Best idea is maybe I have a poll of pitch and day options. Watch this space.

Its not set in stone yet.

Best idea is maybe I have a poll of pitch and day options. Watch this space.

Make sure it's one of these polls where you can pick more than one option, for example picking Tuesdays to Thursdays and picking Dundrum and UCD

So... I had a rush of blood to the head and booked a Weds 7-8pm slot in UCD's Patterson Pitch.

They didnt have slots on Tues or Thurs available.

This can be just to start (it'll be good to start!) and we can still go ahead with scouting and a poll for day/ venue.

I imagine UCD should suit most. It will be good to get this off the ground and play a game.

• Advertisement

So... I had a rush of blood to the head and booked a Weds 7-8pm slot in UCD's Patterson Pitch.

They didnt have slots on Tues or Thurs available.

This can be just to start (it'll be good to start!) and we can still go ahead with scouting and a poll for day/ venue.

I imagine UCD should suit most. It will be good to get this off the ground and play a game.

Nice one. I'm in anyway.

Advertisement