Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

Kevin wants to take over the DAB frequencies that RTE are dumping!

https://radiotoday.ie/2019/11/radio-nova-wants-to-take-over-rtes-national-dab-frequencies/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

zorro2566 wrote: »

https://radiotoday.ie/2019/11/radio-nova-wants-to-take-over-rtes-national-dab-frequencies/

Gobsh1te....small dick syndrome..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

This morning Lucy did a review of the Jojo something concert in the 3 Arena last night. A review of a teen pop princess!!! Shes on a "rock" station FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    This morning Lucy did a review of the Jojo something concert in the 3 Arena last night. A review of a teen pop princess!!! Shes on a "rock" station FFS!
    There is a separate thread for the Colm and Lucy Show:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057864411

It's a pity that RTÉ is losing so much money that it has to cut these services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Started by someone called Mikey Taylor... hmmmm...

AlgerShane wrote: »
    Looks like the incredible and underrated Gavin Glass is returning next Sunday from 6 p.m. - Kieran confirmed it this evening so he's back to 8-11 p.m. - pity as I felt the earlier slot really suited him. Oh well.

In any case, it will be nice to have Gavin back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

]

That attention seeking Muppet doesn't need RTE's frequencies, there has been plenty of space on dab for years for any independent station if they wanted to use it. He also came out saying he wanted the txfm licence when communicorp didn't reapply for it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

And yet...
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/judge-orders-radio-nova-to-pay-unfair-dismissal-award-to-rock-dj-sinead-ni-mhordha-956293.html
    The reason it was not paid was because her client was loss-making, and has been since the station was set up.
    ... it can afford to take on the running costs of a 13-year old (16-years old at the point RTÉ intend to cease using it), partially-built DAB network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

KildareP wrote: »
    And yet...
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/judge-orders-radio-nova-to-pay-unfair-dismissal-award-to-rock-dj-sinead-ni-mhordha-956293.html

... it can afford to take on the running costs of a 13-year old (16-years old at the point RTÉ intend to cease using it), partially-built DAB network?

If I give them benefit of doubt, and their interest in DAB is sincere at the present time, I don't believe they're interested in RTE's network so much as they're interested in RTE's pre-existing licence for for the multiplex.

If they were able to acquire RTE's transmission equipment, I would also expect they'd look at other sites and not necessarily stay with RTENL

• Advertisement

If I give them benefit of doubt, and their interest in DAB is sincere at the present time, I don't believe they're interested in RTE's network so much as they're interested in RTE's pre-existing licence for for the multiplex.

If they were able to acquire RTE's transmission equipment, I would also expect they'd look at other sites and not necessarily stay with RTENL

There's absolutely nothing to have stopped them approacing the BAI/ComReg and seeking their own license at any point up to now though. Nor is there anything stopping them having joined the RTÉ NL trial at any point over the last 13 odd years.

It's a pure get-themselves-in-the-news exercise and I suppose it's done exactly as intended :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

There's absolutely nothing to have stopped them approacing the BAI/ComReg and seeking their own license at any point up to now though. Nor is there anything stopping them having joined the RTÉ NL trial at any point over the last 13 odd years.

It's a pure get-themselves-in-the-news exercise and I suppose it's done exactly as intended :)
    They could also have joined that eirdab trial in cork last year for buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

There's absolutely nothing to have stopped them approacing the BAI/ComReg and seeking their own license at any point up to now though.

Well, there is: There is no mechanism at the moment to apply for a licence to operate a DAB multiplex.

Well, there is: There is no mechanism at the moment to apply for a licence to operate a DAB multiplex.

But then there would equally be no mechanism for them to apply to take on RTÉ's either which is an engineering trial, not an operating service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

Gobsh1te....small dick syndrome..:rolleyes:

Suspect tongue was planted firmly in cheek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

It’s a rock station in name only

Lovenova wrote: »
    Suspect tongue was planted firmly in cheek

Nope....all fact....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

There's absolutely nothing to have stopped them approacing the BAI/ComReg and seeking their own license at any point up to now though.
    If they were to contact the BAI, the BAI would politely inform them, that they should contact Comreg as the BAI only licence radio stations and not service providers. And then Comreg would have informed them that they do not issue licences for services that involve radio broadcasting, and refer them back to the BAI.

This is precisely how it was when I contacted both 8 years back asking exactly this question.

Under the Broadcasting Act of 2009 it places responsibility for the licencing of sound broadcasting digital multiplexes squarely with the BAI. The commercial broadcasters do not want a shred of competition, so here we are.
    Nor is there anything stopping them having joined the RTÉ NL trial at any point over the last 13 odd years.)
    Zird wrote: »
    They could also have joined that eirdab trial in cork last year for buttons
    It does surprise me that they never opted to transmit on eirdab, but I suspect that the main motivation here is to circumvent the BAI and/or to rattle the publicity cage. Because:
    But then there would equally be no mechanism for them to apply to take on RTÉ's either which is an engineering trial, not an operating service :)
    RTEs service was an operating service, if I recall correctly, prior to 2009 RTE were could request frequencies directly from Comreg and launch a service without going through the BAI.

Even today, the Broadcasting Act of 2009 does make special provisions for RTE in terms of operating a public service multiplex.

It is a pity, because this country desperately needs more choice outside of Dublin, and I'd love to have Nova available to me without plugging in my phone and fiddling with the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Every now and again, you see a comment on boards that makes you say “That person actually has a knowledge of the subject about which they are writing.”

It’s pretty rare, though, unfortunately!
    If they were to contact the BAI, the BAI would politely inform them, that they should contact Comreg as the BAI only licence radio stations and not service providers. And then Comreg would have informed them that they do not issue licences for services that involve radio broadcasting, and refer them back to the BAI.

This is precisely how it was when I contacted both 8 years back asking exactly this question.

Under the Broadcasting Act of 2009 it places responsibility for the licencing of sound broadcasting digital multiplexes squarely with the BAI. The commercial broadcasters do not want a shred of competition, so here we are.

It does surprise me that they never opted to transmit on eirdab, but I suspect that the main motivation here is to circumvent the BAI and/or to rattle the publicity cage. Because:

RTEs service was an operating service, if I recall correctly, prior to 2009 RTE were could request frequencies directly from Comreg and launch a service without going through the BAI.

Even today, the Broadcasting Act of 2009 does make special provisions for RTE in terms of operating a public service multiplex.

It is a pity, because this country desperately needs more choice outside of Dublin, and I'd love to have Nova available to me without plugging in my phone and fiddling with the app.

Sozz..i nodded off after "If they...."...................:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Any sign of Courtenay? I can't take any more of Great Scott 😣😣😣

Any sign of Courtenay? I can't take any more of Great Scott ������

Hopefully not...get PD in there...:p

Poor Ruthy...someone please check her script, Keith Flint was not the lead singer of "Firestarter"..........bless....:p

Last Sunday, I was trying out Nova's digital stations. I had started with Classic Rock when Pat James had his Off the Record show. I got a bit bored when he was interviewing someone so I started switching around the other digital stations. I came to Radio Nova 60s shortly before midnight.

A song from the '60s (as you would expect!) was finishing. The next song came on, one that I knew quite well. It was Burn by Deep Purple. I knew it was from the 1970s, but I checked the year anyway: 1974! Not even close! I remember getting Pat James to play a Deep Purple song featuring David Coverdale a few years ago. It could have been that very song he chose, or, otherwise, Stormbringer!

I sent a post on Facebook about this error in their playlist and I also messaged them on the same platform last Monday. Last Tuesday, I e-mailed their complaints department (yes, they have one!). So far, I have not received a reply, not even an acknowledgement. What bothers me most is the prospect of someone putting together a playlist for a specific period or time, or niche, and not checking it before they put it out. I also am bothered by the possibility that someone has not got a clue what they are putting together. As I pointed out to them, Pat James would definitely not make that kind of mistake!

I tuned into Radio Nova 60s briefly last night. Guess what: the song that was being played was Burn by Deep Purple! They are still doing it!

I tuned into Radio Nova 60s briefly last night. Guess what: the song that was being played was Burn by Deep Purple! They are still doing it!

I should have mentioned that the previous occasion was September 15th. That's more than two months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Paul Pott

The one and only by Chesney Hawkes used to be on Today FM's Friday night 80s playlist even though it's from 1991!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Paul Pott wrote: »
    The one and only by Chesney Hawkes used to be on Today FM's Friday night 80s playlist even though it's from 1991!!!

For some reason, lots of stations include this on their 80s shows.

For some reason, lots of stations include this on their 80s shows.

The same with the cure's 'friday im in love'

So what's going on then, if it is a phenomenon that is not unique to Nova? Are we dealing with people who not only have no idea what music they have compiled, but who do not think to verify that the song is the right decade? Music supplied by people with no clue about the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Are we dealing with people who not only have no idea what music they have compiled, but who do not think to verify that the song is the right decade? Music supplied by people with no clue about the music!

very common in radio today Declan!! Bring back the days when a playlist was a box of records selected by the listener, the knowledgeable presenter and / or a Producer !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

So what's going on then, if it is a phenomenon that is not unique to Nova? Are we dealing with people who not only have no idea what music they have compiled, but who do not think to verify that the song is the right decade? Music supplied by people with no clue about the music!

It's the musically dead idiots like Colon and Loopy and Producer Clint who, rather than having a passion for music and broadcasting, are just doing a job instead. They really don't give a sh1t as long as they get exposure and a paycheck.

Advertisement