Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Oscar Bravo their earlier forecasts were giving a very wet day countrywide for Sunday , this may not be the case , perhaps now just heavy rain and strong winds for W and NW. a further update after the 9 news according to Evelyn

The models have Sundays Storm now further West, I see the models keeping the Higher winds and rains on the western coasts and less rain then originally forecast. Wait and see.

t9vYs5A.png

crAvzy2.gif

T3ApAwc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Evelyn saying the rain sunday could be very heavy in the W and NW as the rain is of tropical origin , clash zone between humid tropical air and fresher cooler air in the north atlantic. time will tell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully things shift even further west so that we can join the UK with some sun and warmth, even if its just for a day or two. London is looking at least another 7-10 days of very warm, potentially hot conditions. After that I would imagine a rapid cool down across much of the northern half of Europe with October only around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Evelyn saying the rain sunday could be very heavy in the W and NW as the rain is of tropical origin , clash zone between humid tropical air and fresher cooler air in the north atlantic. time will tell

GO WEST !!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking at the 18oz GFS runs it would suggest to me that tomorrow, although shortlived, is going to be a very blustery day and possibly prove damaging. It is at the top end of yellow warning and potentially dangerous as the trees are so full of leaves this time of year. It would seem that the yellow warning could maybe be justified further inland as this system sweeps over the entire country ? Rarely do you see strong winds like tomorrows move so far inland from the Atlantic, will catch people out I think.

• Advertisement

Agreed, will certainly be very wet and blustery, TAF for Cork airport showing gusts up to 39 knots tomorrow afternoon , similar at Knock and Dublin, could well cause a few problems.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal
    Southerly winds later veering West to Southwesterly, will increase 55 to 65 km/h on Friday and will gust 90 to 100 km/h at times. Winds will be strongest off the Northwest coast.

Issued:Thursday 08 September 2016 17:00
    Valid:Friday 09 September 2016 12:00 to Friday 09 September 2016 21:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Clare and Kerry
    Southerly winds later veering southwesterly, will increase 55 to 60 km/h on Friday and will gust 90 km/h at times.

Valid:Friday 09 September 2016 10:00 to Friday 09 September 2016 18:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Southerly winds later veering southwesterly, will increase 55 to 65 km/h on Friday and will gust 90 to 100 km/h at times.

Valid:Friday 09 September 2016 10:00 to Friday 09 September 2016 18:00

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Woke up to lashing rain.

Ahh the summers over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

summers over? it never begun

Is today's rain lighter than forecast for the west or is there heavier stuff to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

Fierce day in South Kerry. Lashing rain and some very strong gusts. The garden is full of leaves. Autumn has truly arived!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

definite signs of autumn today, wet, miserable, 15C. difficult to get used to after the 20C+ days that has been here for much of end of May to first quarter of September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It was supposed to lash rain on Sunday but MetEireann now says:
    The forecast for Sunday is a bit uncertain. It looks like rain will develop in the west, but the east may stay mainly dry. The rain could turn heavy though with a risk of spot flooding. Winds are looking strong as well, from the south. On Sunday night, rain is likely to linger in the West with more sporadic outbursts elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KerryHarry

I think South Kerry gets the worst weather in Ireland.
    All it bloody does here is rain. It might be misperception, but +250 raindays a year isn't normal.
    And I'm sick of it...

Timistry wrote: »
    Fierce day in South Kerry. Lashing rain and some very strong gusts. The garden is full of leaves. Autumn has truly arived!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Raining all morning and still lashing. Localised flooding on the roads around Leitrim, nothing too bad but with the amount of rain we have had this 'summer' I'm starting to fear the worse for the winter.

The ground is saturated and has been for a good while. The Shannon at Carrick on Shannon is very high for this time of year. The level of water in the Shannon/Erne waterway and canals is looking high. Lochs and lakes are full.

We need a good spell of dry weather and lets face it, its not going to happen.
    Flooding looks inevitable maybe sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KerryHarry

I sure hope we don't get a winter like the last one...I won't survive another one of those :(
    OldRio wrote: »
    Raining all morning and still lashing. Localised flooding on the roads around Leitrim, nothing too bad but with the amount of rain we have had this 'summer' I'm starting to fear the worse for the winter.

The ground is saturated and has been for a good while. The Shannon at Carrick on Shannon is very high for this time of year. The level of water in the Shannon/Erne waterway and canals is looking high. Lochs and lakes are full.

We need a good spell of dry weather and lets face it, its not going to happen.
    Flooding looks inevitable maybe sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Could have swore I heard a long distant rumble just there, but hard to tell with all the wind and rain.

New Moon

the rain and wind made it from west to east without any effort yet, it doesn't move beyond the Irish sea and slides up into Scotland, typical. Summer lives on in England and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

West Laois - getting very squally behind the main band of rain that has now cleared towards the east, the rain seems to be falling much heavier than the blues indicated on met.ie radar.

Windy and wet here near Tralee but nothing noteworthy. I must say I overestimated the potential for strong wind :o , didn't see as much as a flowerpot knocked over around here :D

Met Eireann did well I think in their forecasts although just looking around the station reports it would seem that the wind speeds were a bit under what was predicted.

Bright sunny evening here now, hardly know it was raining as the hard surfaces have dried up so much, just got 12mm here . Winds after going light.

• Advertisement

side roads here covered in twigs, leaves and dirt - Autumn is definitely well and truly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should we create a separate cribbers thread?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Certainly not feeling any warmth tonight in Cork I have to say - a noticeable chill in the air

So windy day along the Atlantic Seaboard tomorrow, increasingly so towards evening. Looks like little rain now before late evening, the heavier rain overnight. Interesting warmest temperatures along Atlantic coastal counties in the humid S'ly winds.

DPOLZo0.gif?1

cykev46.gif

VDPMwpL.gif

R8IhRgK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice bright day in Castlebar so far, cool though 14.3C.

National Weather Warnings,

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick
    Southerly winds with mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h will gust 90 to 100km/h during Sunday, winds strongest along coastal areas.

Valid:Sunday 11 September 2016 11:00 to Sunday 11 September 2016 23:59

Knock airport TAF issued at 6pm has winds gusting to 40 knots tomorrow afternoon. gonna be a windy one!

Met Eireann have said that after today/ tomorrow it will be mainly dry in western half of country especially Thursday and Friday
    I was going to grave the elements today and try and cut lawn but I'll trust their forecast ..........I'll revisit post next weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Why is there no wind warning,very strong gusts here in mayo

• Advertisement

there is

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry
    Southerly winds with mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h will gust 90 to 100km/h during Sunday, winds strongest along coastal areas.

Valid:Sunday 11 September 2016 11:00 to Sunday 11 September 2016 23:59

Advertisement