Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ukprec.png

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Another scorcher next week in Southern England as more hot air spews off the near continent,Potential for 30 degrees, 18 or 19 here but plastered in rain and wind.

You always know it's going to be a hot one in England when you see the purple colours sneaking up the western coast of France.
    We may not be plastered in rain and wind. The forecast I watched on BBC News 24 half an hour ago said that even Sunday is uncertain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

We may not be plastered in rain and wind. The forecast I watched on BBC News 24 half an hour ago said that even Sunday is uncertain.

Could be uncertain good or uncertain bad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

ukmaxtemp.png

Another scorcher next week in Southern England as more hot air spews off the near continent,Potential for 30 degrees, 18 or 19 here but plastered in rain and wind.

You always know it's going to be a hot one in England when you see the purple colours sneaking up the western coast of France.

Showing temps up to the mid 30s in parts france. If that chart came off,that would be crazy for mid sept for there. Well the heat can stay away from here as far as I'm concerned.

40 degrees in Southern Spain on Sunday,impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

and from Met Eireann regarding Sunday, "huge uncertainty ?"

and from Met Eireann regarding Sunday, "huge uncertainty ?"

Who is it all so uncertain ?
    God I hope it just goes away !

their earlier forecasts were giving a very wet day countrywide for Sunday , this may not be the case , perhaps now just heavy rain and strong winds for W and NW. a further update after the 9 news according to Evelyn :)

Billcarson wrote: »
    Showing temps up to the mid 30s in parts france. If that chart came off,that would be crazy for mid sept for there. Well the heat can stay away from here as far as I'm concerned.

Don't fret,
    That it will,that it will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wind and rain passing through fairly quickly thankfully, the Western side taking the brunt of it but could get some high gusts throughout the country.

4SazPNI.png

dTVUx5P.png

hShVSF0.png

4lzfvDJ.png?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Oscar Bravo their earlier forecasts were giving a very wet day countrywide for Sunday , this may not be the case , perhaps now just heavy rain and strong winds for W and NW. a further update after the 9 news according to Evelyn

The models have Sundays Storm now further West, I see the models keeping the Higher winds and rains on the western coasts and less rain then originally forecast. Wait and see.

t9vYs5A.png

crAvzy2.gif

T3ApAwc.png

Evelyn saying the rain sunday could be very heavy in the W and NW as the rain is of tropical origin , clash zone between humid tropical air and fresher cooler air in the north atlantic. time will tell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully things shift even further west so that we can join the UK with some sun and warmth, even if its just for a day or two. London is looking at least another 7-10 days of very warm, potentially hot conditions. After that I would imagine a rapid cool down across much of the northern half of Europe with October only around the corner.

Evelyn saying the rain sunday could be very heavy in the W and NW as the rain is of tropical origin , clash zone between humid tropical air and fresher cooler air in the north atlantic. time will tell

GO WEST !!!!

Looking at the 18oz GFS runs it would suggest to me that tomorrow, although shortlived, is going to be a very blustery day and possibly prove damaging. It is at the top end of yellow warning and potentially dangerous as the trees are so full of leaves this time of year. It would seem that the yellow warning could maybe be justified further inland as this system sweeps over the entire country ? Rarely do you see strong winds like tomorrows move so far inland from the Atlantic, will catch people out I think.

• Advertisement

Agreed, will certainly be very wet and blustery, TAF for Cork airport showing gusts up to 39 knots tomorrow afternoon , similar at Knock and Dublin, could well cause a few problems.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal
    Southerly winds later veering West to Southwesterly, will increase 55 to 65 km/h on Friday and will gust 90 to 100 km/h at times. Winds will be strongest off the Northwest coast.

Issued:Thursday 08 September 2016 17:00
    Valid:Friday 09 September 2016 12:00 to Friday 09 September 2016 21:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Clare and Kerry
    Southerly winds later veering southwesterly, will increase 55 to 60 km/h on Friday and will gust 90 km/h at times.

Valid:Friday 09 September 2016 10:00 to Friday 09 September 2016 18:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Southerly winds later veering southwesterly, will increase 55 to 65 km/h on Friday and will gust 90 to 100 km/h at times.

Valid:Friday 09 September 2016 10:00 to Friday 09 September 2016 18:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Woke up to lashing rain.

Ahh the summers over ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

summers over? it never begun

Is today's rain lighter than forecast for the west or is there heavier stuff to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Timistry

Fierce day in South Kerry. Lashing rain and some very strong gusts. The garden is full of leaves. Autumn has truly arived!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

definite signs of autumn today, wet, miserable, 15C. difficult to get used to after the 20C+ days that has been here for much of end of May to first quarter of September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It was supposed to lash rain on Sunday but MetEireann now says:
    The forecast for Sunday is a bit uncertain. It looks like rain will develop in the west, but the east may stay mainly dry. The rain could turn heavy though with a risk of spot flooding. Winds are looking strong as well, from the south. On Sunday night, rain is likely to linger in the West with more sporadic outbursts elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KerryHarry

I think South Kerry gets the worst weather in Ireland.
    All it bloody does here is rain. It might be misperception, but +250 raindays a year isn't normal.
    And I'm sick of it...

Timistry wrote: »
    Fierce day in South Kerry. Lashing rain and some very strong gusts. The garden is full of leaves. Autumn has truly arived!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭OldRio

Raining all morning and still lashing. Localised flooding on the roads around Leitrim, nothing too bad but with the amount of rain we have had this 'summer' I'm starting to fear the worse for the winter.

The ground is saturated and has been for a good while. The Shannon at Carrick on Shannon is very high for this time of year. The level of water in the Shannon/Erne waterway and canals is looking high. Lochs and lakes are full.

We need a good spell of dry weather and lets face it, its not going to happen.
    Flooding looks inevitable maybe sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KerryHarry

I sure hope we don't get a winter like the last one...I won't survive another one of those :(
    OldRio wrote: »
    Raining all morning and still lashing. Localised flooding on the roads around Leitrim, nothing too bad but with the amount of rain we have had this 'summer' I'm starting to fear the worse for the winter.

The ground is saturated and has been for a good while. The Shannon at Carrick on Shannon is very high for this time of year. The level of water in the Shannon/Erne waterway and canals is looking high. Lochs and lakes are full.

We need a good spell of dry weather and lets face it, its not going to happen.
    Flooding looks inevitable maybe sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Could have swore I heard a long distant rumble just there, but hard to tell with all the wind and rain.

New Moon

the rain and wind made it from west to east without any effort yet, it doesn't move beyond the Irish sea and slides up into Scotland, typical. Summer lives on in England and Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

West Laois - getting very squally behind the main band of rain that has now cleared towards the east, the rain seems to be falling much heavier than the blues indicated on met.ie radar.

Windy and wet here near Tralee but nothing noteworthy. I must say I overestimated the potential for strong wind :o , didn't see as much as a flowerpot knocked over around here :D

Met Eireann did well I think in their forecasts although just looking around the station reports it would seem that the wind speeds were a bit under what was predicted.

Bright sunny evening here now, hardly know it was raining as the hard surfaces have dried up so much, just got 12mm here . Winds after going light.

• Advertisement

side roads here covered in twigs, leaves and dirt - Autumn is definitely well and truly here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should we create a separate cribbers thread?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Certainly not feeling any warmth tonight in Cork I have to say - a noticeable chill in the air

So windy day along the Atlantic Seaboard tomorrow, increasingly so towards evening. Looks like little rain now before late evening, the heavier rain overnight. Interesting warmest temperatures along Atlantic coastal counties in the humid S'ly winds.

DPOLZo0.gif?1

cykev46.gif

VDPMwpL.gif

R8IhRgK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice bright day in Castlebar so far, cool though 14.3C.

National Weather Warnings,

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Kerry and Limerick
    Southerly winds with mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h will gust 90 to 100km/h during Sunday, winds strongest along coastal areas.

Valid:Sunday 11 September 2016 11:00 to Sunday 11 September 2016 23:59

Knock airport TAF issued at 6pm has winds gusting to 40 knots tomorrow afternoon. gonna be a windy one!

Met Eireann have said that after today/ tomorrow it will be mainly dry in western half of country especially Thursday and Friday
    I was going to grave the elements today and try and cut lawn but I'll trust their forecast ..........I'll revisit post next weekend ;)

Why is there no wind warning,very strong gusts here in mayo

• Advertisement

there is

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry
    Southerly winds with mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h will gust 90 to 100km/h during Sunday, winds strongest along coastal areas.

Valid:Sunday 11 September 2016 11:00 to Sunday 11 September 2016 23:59

Belmullet gusting 47 knots

Tis windy alright

First band of heavy rain should be pushing into the west imminently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The wind has been howling in Galway for the last hour or so, the trees are really moving now.

huge differences between much of the UK and Ireland this week, could reach up to 32C across England and Wales, even south eastern Scotland could get some warmish conditions, meanwhile Ireland will be more like 14-18C and unsettled. We will have to wait till at least next May before seeing 20C+ again.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/37333294

The above video from the BBC is quite depressing for us as we will be stuck under cool atlantic muck all week while the majority of mainland UK is gonna experience possibly the best week they've had all year.

• Advertisement

Steady S'ly wind, 10 min avg of 31 kph here near Tralee, recent gust 56 kph

Only light rain blowing in the wind at times, nothing recorded in the AWS yet

Temp slipping back now under an increasingly dull sky down from 17.3C to 16.4C

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What rain?

VERY strong gusts in galway

snubbleste wrote: »
    What rain?

Western areas may get up to 15-30mm of rain tonight.

Xenji wrote: »
    Western areas may get up to 15-30mm of rain tonight.

is it a little bit more west than forecast ?
    or is that wishful thinking on my part

• Advertisement
Advertisement