Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 members of family found dead in Cavan - NO SPECULATION

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'm out of here! The squabbling here just does my head in. Gender, gender, gender, blah, blah, blah. So many threads turn into this stupid discussion. Who cares? Really? If people personally have a problem with it it's obviously because they've had a bad experience of something but please stop taking it out on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

pilly wrote: »
    I'm out of here! The squabbling here just does my head in. Gender, gender, gender, blah, blah, blah. So many threads turn into this stupid discussion. Who cares? Really? If people personally have a problem with it it's obviously because they've had a bad experience of something but please stop taking it out on the rest of us.

Absolutely agree, Pilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

pilly wrote: »

If you bothered to read through the thread you will find that the vast majority of cases of domestic violence and family annihilation are perpetrated by males for reasons of male entitlement and a sense of family ownership.
    There has been links to research on family annihilation and DV scores of times in this thread.

demfad wrote: »
    If you bothered to read through the thread you will find that the vast majority of cases of domestic violence and family annihilation are perpetrated by males for reasons of male entitlement and a sense of family ownership.
    There has been links to research on family annihilation and DV scores of times in this thread.

What you've said is absolutely correct but the squabbling here, as mentioned by Pilly, is an issue also. At the end of the day, nothing compares to the pain and grief of the families involved, especially as Christmas is approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The little boy who was killed by his mother in the London murder/suicide tragedy is being buried without her in Wicklow.

The death notice on RIP.ie is very poignant.

Oisin O'Driscoll, may he rest in peace poor lad.

• Advertisement

Another very, very sad situation. A difficult one for the family left behind. Just hope it happened quickly for the poor little guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Just been reading this squabbling, back and forth, trying to prove who is standing on the higher moral ground. Spare a thought for the two families who are heartbroken this Christmas. No matter what anybody says on here, it's not going to help them but I suspect that reading some of this stuff would be nothing short of agonising for them.

I'd be very surprised if any family members went searching online for idle internet chat about their personal family tragedy. That would be a very foolish thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why didn't Alan Hawe's brothers suggest taking his body back to Kilkenny? I wonder do they have an inkling of his motive for these horrendous crimes. Presumably, they are devastated but it's a hundred times worse for Clodagh's mother and sister and his brothers had to have known that.

An inquest will have to take place at some point in the near future.

Homicide is a matter of public concern. Therefore, those people who know about his motive should speak out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Why didn't Alan Hawe's brothers suggest taking his body back to Kilkenny? I wonder do they have an inkling of his motive for these horrendous crimes. Presumably, they are devastated but it's a hundred times worse for Clodagh's mother and sister and his brothers had to have known that.

An inquest will have to take place at some point in the near future.

Homicide is a matter of public concern. Therefore, those people who know about his motive should speak out.

To be honest, I have trouble taking exception to anything the families did. I can't imagine how absolutely awful that must have been, both for Clodagh's family and for the Hawes. I can kinda imagine that the Hawe family might not have wanted to be making a fuss if they thought Clodagh's family felt they should be buried together. I mean, imagine coping with that anyway. It's not, of course, about who's suffering most, but imagine losing your brother and the kids and -knowing your brother is to blame-, the kid you have memories of growing up with, the man you shared Christmases etcetera with. At least Clodagh Hawe's innocence makes her family much more likely to be sympathised with rather than whispered about.

Nrk. No, I have trouble feeling anything but sympathy for the families involved, both of them.

Could the root of the crime be traced to Alan Hawe's past back in Kilkenny - before he even met Clodagh? Someone told me that something about his past in Kilkenny was going to emerge. Was he a paedophile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

To be honest, I have trouble taking exception to anything the families did. I can't imagine how absolutely awful that must have been, both for Clodagh's family and for the Hawes. I can kinda imagine that the Hawe family might not have wanted to be making a fuss if they thought Clodagh's family felt they should be buried together. I mean, imagine coping with that anyway. It's not, of course, about who's suffering most, but imagine losing your brother and the kids and -knowing your brother is to blame-, the kid you have memories of growing up with, the man you shared Christmases etcetera with. At least Clodagh Hawe's innocence makes her family much more likely to be sympathised with rather than whispered about.

Nrk. No, I have trouble feeling anything but sympathy for the families involved, both of them.
    I'd see it differently.
    My relatives would not lie with their brutal killer. No way.
    That man butchered any semblance of family, marriage and friendship he had. I'd have him out of there if they were my daughter and grandchildren.

I'd see it differently.
    My relatives would not lie with their brutal killer. No way.
    That man butchered any semblance of family, marriage and friendship he had. I'd have him out of there if they were my daughter and grandchildren.

A lot of people agree with you, and that's your prerogative, ofc. I agree with you myself. But at the time, it appeared to be what the family wanted (family may have been railroaded by the priest and/or other presumably well-meaning but misguided people), so the last people to argue with them would probably be the Hawes, all things considered.

A lot of people agree with you, and that's your prerogative, ofc. I agree with you myself. But at the time, it appeared to be what the family wanted (family may have been railroaded by the priest and/or other presumably well-meaning but misguided people), so the last people to argue with them would probably be the Hawes, all things considered.

The family were in shock and the funeral was soon enough after the murders.
    Had the burials been maybe 6 weeks later, which can happen in England and elsewhere, we might have had a different type of funeral i.e. one for him and another for the wife and kids.

Had the burials been maybe 6 weeks later, which can happen in England and elsewhere, we might have had a different type of funeral i.e. one for him and another for the wife and kids.

Oh yeah, but the situation was as it was. Ireland does traditionally bury people with what might be considered indecent haste elsewhere! And in a situation like this, it probably doesn't give time for families to work out which way is up, let alone what the most appropriate managing of it is. I wasn't really debating the rights or wrongs of that, more just expressing sympathy for the Hawes/responding to a "why didn't they do this" type statement.

Oh yeah, but the situation was as it was. Ireland does traditionally bury people with what might be considered indecent haste elsewhere! And in a situation like this, it probably doesn't give time for families to work out which way is up, let alone what the most appropriate managing of it is. I wasn't really debating the rights or wrongs of that, more just expressing sympathy for the Hawes/responding to a "why didn't they do this" type statement.

In England, a month often passes between death and the funeral. I think it's because a permit must be sought from the local council.

But that's not the tradition here in rural Ireland.
    I don't think there was any "railroading".
    In the horror of discovering your daughter and grandchildren are dead, add to that the fact that they have been murdered, then add to that the fact that the murderer was this man that your family welcomed in, the father of your grandchildren, a man you loved and admired, the man your daughter chose.
    The only way to cope with that in the short term is to believe that he had had some kind of severe psychotic episode. That an otherwise good decent man had been tipped over the edge by hidden demons, and that they were all together
    now in paradise and should be laid to rest as the perfect family that they were.
    For any of you to suggest that the maternal grandmother of the dead children should have been able to process the possibility that her son in law was a wife beating evil monster and that her daughter and grandchildren had suffered for years at his hands shows a shocking lack of empathy really

infogiver wrote: »
    But that's not the tradition here in rural Ireland.
    I don't think there was any "railroading".
    In the horror of discovering your daughter and grandchildren are dead, add to that the fact that they have been murdered, then add to that the fact that the murderer was this man that your family welcomed in, the father of your grandchildren, a man you loved and admired, the man your daughter chose.
    The only way to cope with that in the short term is to believe that he had had some kind of severe psychotic episode. That an otherwise good decent man had been tipped over the edge by hidden demons, and that they were all together
    now in paradise and should be laid to rest as the perfect family that they were.
    For any of you to suggest that the maternal grandmother of the dead children should have been able to process the possibility that her son in law was a wife beating evil monster and that her daughter and grandchildren had suffered for years at his hands shows a shocking lack of empathy really
    It's what he was in the end that matters to me.
    He was a cruel evil bastard. No denying that. AND he put a lot into the planning of the murder to such an extent that he left notes to spare people the gruesome sight that he was capable of creating. Ego to the last.
    He wouldn't be in the same grave as them if they were mine.

Hawe's smile in the photos that have published in the media makes him appear sinister. He looked snide.

It's what he was in the end that matters to me.
    He was a cruel evil bastard. No denying that. AND he put a lot into the planning of the murder to such an extent that he left notes to spare people the gruesome sight that he was capable of creating. Ego to the last.
    He wouldn't be in the same grave as them if they were mine.

I don't know why you are speculating on what happened in that house when there hasn't been any inquest yet and you know no more about what happened then any other stranger.
    What makes you think that you can reach conclusions based on scant vague accounts in the media and your own imagination? You simply don't know, but your very happy to rush to a judgment.
    I'll never understand this eagerness and impatience almost to have a bogeyman in place....someone to turn into a hate figure...evil ...ego...
    You don't know but your going to go out there on a limb anyway. No need to wait for evidence gathering or witness testimonies.
    Tayto lover has decided and that's it.

I don't know why you are speculating on what happened in that house when there hasn't been any inquest yet and you know no more about what happened then any other stranger.
    What makes you think that you can reach conclusions based on scant vague accounts in the media and your own imagination? You simply don't know, but your very happy to rush to a judgment.
    I'll never understand this eagerness and impatience almost to have a bogeyman in place....someone to turn into a hate figure...evil ...ego...
    You don't know but your going to go out there on a limb anyway. No need to wait for evidence gathering or witness testimonies.

I think because the idea that Hawe was not a bogeyman type figure or evil or any other sinister person is a terrifying prospect for the human psyche to process. If he was a regular man, just like you and me, then perhaps we too are capable of inflicting such horror on others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm lost was this arson or ?

Read the first post of the thread.

I am simply commenting on what happened on the last night the family were together. Don't know what went on before. There is a lot known locally about what happened in the house.

What went on that night was enough for me to base my opinion on Alan being a cruel evil bastard. I know enough to make that judgement.

Read the first post of the thread.

May be best not to in this particular case, a lot of things happened since then.

In short, a couple of months ago, a woman and three young lads were stabbed to death by the father/husband. He left notes on the back door warning visitors not to come in but to call the police and left another couple of notes.

At the time, it was treated as a psychotic break or evidence that the man had been under a lot of stress and he and his family were buried together, perhaps (unconfirmed how much pressure was there or if it was only gentle suggestion) due to the parish priest. This caused outrage later on, especially as Clodagh Hawe's family indicated that the husband had been controlling and it became more of a question of domestic violence reaching a terrible conclusion rather than a mental health issue exploding out of control. There was a lot of criticism at how lauded Alan Hawe had been after the deaths and there was a feeling that Clodagh Hawe had been rather whitewashed out of the picture (trouble finding photos of her, for instance) in favour of talking about how wonderful a man Hawe had been.

It's a tragic story and it's caused a resurgence in Irish media and people discussing how we treat questions of domestic violence, especially if it goes unnoticed. It's also raised questions of mental health (even if disproved, the questions were there and spoken about) and even the power of the Church in social mores (the burial business) in Ireland.

No arson though.

This must be the case you're thinking of - in the following case, the mother of the children was, just like in the Hawe case, from Co. Cavan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8401435.stm
    Convicted sex offender Arthur McElhill killed himself and his family in a house fire in Omagh, County Tyrone, a coroner has ruled.
    Coroner Suzanne Anderson said McElhill burned the house down because his partner, Lorraine McGovern, threatened to leave him.
    McElhill, Ms McGovern and their five children died in the blaze at Lammy Crescent in November 2007.
    He had been having sex with a 16-year-old girl in the weeks before the fire.

This must be the case you're thinking of - in the following case, the mother of the children was, just like in the Hawe case, from Co. Cavan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8401435.stm

Given that quote there all I can think is "what an absolute son of a bitch."

Given that quote there all I can think is "what an absolute son of a bitch."

There would still be some on here trying to make him sound like a normal decent person though. Pillar of society.

There would still be some on here trying to make him sound like a normal decent person though. Pillar of society.

HellSquirrel was referring to Arthur McElhill, who had done time for sexual abuse before he murdered his partner and their children.

HellSquirrel was referring to Arthur McElhill, who had done time for sexual abuse before he murdered his partner and their children.

I know that. Up in the Omagh area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The inquest will only give the verdict as to cause of death.

It might throw up some information for the jury members and other interested parties, it might not.

My guess is unlawful killing for Clodagh and the boys, and suicide for yer man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement