Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 members of family found dead in Cavan - NO SPECULATION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Why all the speculation that the Dad did it. Quite likely but also could be the mother.
    Why not wait until the full facts come out

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

dennyire wrote: »
    Why all the speculation that the Dad did it. Quite likely but also could be the mother.
    Why not wait until the full facts come out

The Gardai have stated that they believe it was the father. I don't think they would give that info to the Press unless it was pretty conclusive from whatever they saw at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

Disgusting journalism by The Sun's STEPHEN BREEN, NIALL O’CONNOR and EAVAN MURRAY. Does anyone know if there any mechanism to complain about that article?

Scumbags should be sacked at the very least. A public flogging is the least they deserve. Dirt all three of them. They aren't human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    Scumbags should be sacked at the very least. A public flogging is the least they deserve. Dirt all three of them. They aren't human.

That's hysterical nonsense. Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

You just don't know what goes on behind closed doors.
    Of course we can't speculate, but nothing about it can be anything but horrific. Given the background of the people involved, there are sooooo many people affected by this. The beginning of school years are stressful enough. Heartbreaking for the impact this will have on the people left behind. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Be thankful its not your family / neighbours / community tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

The Gardai have stated that they believe it was the father. I don't think they would give that info to the Press unless it was pretty conclusive from whatever they saw at the scene.

Havent seen that anywhere...Just quote from Gardai that the likely scenario is that one person from the house carried it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Lol at people complaining about the coverage by the Sun including "live updates" in an AH thread started a scant few hours after the incident.
    People aren't posting live updates though - mostly. One person did post the link to the Sun updates and then expressed disapproval. :confused:
    Sacked? It's their bosses who would have sent them to cover the story in this manner. There's a bunch of them in it. And in fairness the reporters didn't write the headline or set up the web coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

We update ours regularly but the hope is you never need to use it.

Just out of interest how long has there been such a thing.

Back in the day (the 80's) the most critical thing to happen was someone running away/ disappearing from school and even that was treated with ...... ' ah sure he'll be grand / prob just went home'.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

dennyire wrote: »
    Havent seen that anywhere...Just quote from Gardai that the likely scenario is that one person from the house carried it out

At the Garda Press Briefing they mentioned it. The briefing was reported on RTE news this eve.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just out of interest how long has there been such a thing.

Back in the day (the 80's) the most critical thing to happen was someone running away/ disappearing from school and even that was treated with ...... ' ah sure he'll be grand / prob just went home'.
    Our first one was done at least ten years ago. We update it every two years at a minimum. Incidents happened lots in the 80s too, but there wasn't the 24/7 media storm salivating over every single detail then.

Have a look at the NEPS prompt document to see what kind of things are covered.
    https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/National-Educational-Psychological-Service-NEPS-/neps_critical_incidents_guidelines_schools.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Disgusting journalism by The Sun's STEPHEN BREEN, NIALL O’CONNOR and EAVAN MURRAY. Does anyone know if there any mechanism to complain about that article?

Journalists don't get to write the headline that goes above their articles. Just saying. I didn't read the article - the headline was enough.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Journalists don't get to write the headline that goes above their articles. Just saying. I didn't read the article - the headline was enough.

The journalists made up some crap about the Gardai finding bodies in pools of blood. They wrote that sh*t without talking to a single Garda let alone the actual Gardai who found the family dead. So they pulled that description out of their backsides. Before the dead were cold and before the families were informed.
    Anyone who would do that is dirt.
    The Sun is a scummy rag and anyone who works for the rag is dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is all to common. Let's face the facts, we in Ireland are not a well society. There is a lot of unhappiness. As someone whose door has been visited by suicide multiple times in my 29 years I know what I'm talking about.

RIP to the family. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Still thinking a lot about this! Living over in the US and it's somewhat common here...never thought about it happening in Ireland. So tragic!

I winder if there will be any more facts uncovered about motive, a possible note left behind or something like brain trauma to explain the actions of the killer. It wouldn't bring any comfort but may help prevent future tragedies like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I was driving my car today when I heard this horrific story on the news. I can't believe it has happened again. It's just so absolutely heartbreaking to think of those three little boys that should have their whole lives in front of them. I could not imagine how the rest of the family will be able to cope with their loss. So very sad. May they Rest In Peace.

We don't know why this happened and we will never know now. There is no way to predict a person will do this and no way to stop them or persuade them out of it if they have decided in secret that they are determined to do so.There is no pattern to terrible tragedies like this. We cannot predict what type of individual is more likely than another to be responsible for such an act.There is literally nothing to be said. A family are dead and gone. Hopefully someone else who was or is planning to do the same will come to their senses and not go through with their own plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Fruhstuck wrote: »
    Apparently.......

Jesus Christ! What is wrong with you??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This is all to common. Let's face the facts, we in Ireland are not a well society. There is a lot of unhappiness. As someone whose door has been visited by suicide multiple times in my 29 years I know what I'm talking about.

RIP to the family. Xx

I wouldn't call that a fact at all. It's moreso reactionary emotionally charged language. Of course their are people unwell but to say ''we in Ireland are not a well society'' is hyperbolic. North Korea is not a well society, Syria etc. You've obviously had sh*tty experiences and that's awful but I don't think you can generalise for everyone on that. Ireland, for the most part, is a grand little island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mod: Sorry for the wholescale destruction of the page, folks, wild rereg troll was all. Splatter applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We don't know why this happened and we will never know now. .

Those very close to the family have the benefit of hindsight and may well have some idea as to what led to the tragedy unfolding.
    I'm not going to speculate at what, but in similar cases I do remember hearing possible causes that triggered it.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Those very close to the family have the benefit of hindsight and may well have some idea as to what led to the tragedy unfolding.
    I'm not going to speculate at what, but in similar cases I do remember hearing possible causes that triggered it.

There are a number of possible causes in cases of family murder suicide - financial pressure, the family home about to be repossessed, the family farm or business going down the tubes, family breakdown, an affair by either spouse exposed, a row that went too far or perhaps even an accident that claims the life of one family member. We will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

What goes through someone's mind when they do something like that?
    To stand over your dying child and not feel anything at all.
    No remorse or guilt or shock.
    Then to do it again. And again. And again.

It just boggles the mind in a very disturbing way.
    May the wife and children rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Honestly, this is what tabloids do. Cases like this are its bread and butter. The Sun is no different to the Mirror, Mail or any of the U.K. tabs who report on similar cases all day every day right across the world. Yeah it's nauseating and not exactly morally upstanding but it's what sells or attracts clicks for them and always has so that's how they'll justify it.

And those journos didn't write the headlines. They probably made a series of harrowing phone calls and the news ed called the shots as they always do. Object and you're fired, or demoted to a ****ty cat fashion show the next time a big story breaks. Sure you could "get another job" but how many of us would walk away from a successful job in a notoriously tough industry with minimal opportunities in Ireland for similar reasons?

RIP to all of these five family members and the dozens more whose lives will never be the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

valoren wrote: »

as far as i can see you have to be completely insane at the point you do it, completely gone, there is no other explanation. i don't even blame the man because he must, he must, have been completely out of his mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

farmchoice wrote: »
    as far as i can see you have to be completely insane at the point you do it, completely gone, there is no other explanation. i don't even blame the man because he must, he must, have been completely out of his mind.

The only thing about this completely out of his mind theory is the note placed on the back door, informing any caller to phone the guards before entering. To me that indicates some element of mens rea, of mental competency. So tragic for the beautiful woman who was his wife and his gorgeous innocent boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,953 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Disturbing story. Rip

beks101 wrote: »
    Honestly, this is what tabloids do. Cases like this are its bread and butter. The Sun is no different to the Mirror, Mail or any of the U.K. tabs who report on similar cases all day every day right across the world. Yeah it's nauseating and not exactly morally upstanding but it's what sells or attracts clicks for them and always has so that's how they'll justify it.

Yeah, think the stuff about flogging journos etc. a bit OTT.

There is nothing really that new here to a tabloid sensationalising a tragedy. Every killer is "deranged" or "evil" or must "rot in hell", we've seen this stuff a million times before, it can't be a surprise. The only real change is the immediacy of the news, years ago it would be in the press the following day, now you have to think they are getting the news out before all affected by the story may be notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

May they all rest in peace, no one knows what happened.

all we know is that there are five members of a family who are dead.

there but for the grace of god.

How do you know he didn't feel anything? Suicide murderers convince themselves what they are doing is an act of love and they are saving their family by killing them. It's when the protective parental instinct turns murderous.
    If there were some scenario devastating natural cataclysm or a world war many people would take their lives and lives of their children. There would be mass suicides.
    That's what's going through the head of a suicide killer who has perhaps lost his job cannot keep up mortgage repayments faces losing his and children due to family break up etc.

• Advertisement

We don't know why this happened and we will never know now.
    Suicide murderers convince themselves what they are doing is an act of love and they are saving their family by killing them.

I think I'm gonna go with your first sentiment. We don't know what happened and it certainly doesn't look like an act of love. We can all speculate, hate, revenge, frustration...but it's only throwing words at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement