Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need a new bridge!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The traffic in Mecca is something else!

y15TeXU.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

So that's what The Bull Post used to look like before it got worn away! :eek:

We should use the Donald Trump ideology of building bridges.

We demand that every city/county council pays a levy towards the cost of a new bridge.

After all, it's for the benefit of their own county men!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭gw80

So that's what The Bull Post used to look like before it got worn away! :eek:

We should use the Donald Trump ideology of building bridges.

We demand that every city/county council pays a levy towards the cost of a new bridge.

After all, it's for the benefit of their own county men!
    I would agree with you on that, I would happily pay a levy if I knew it was going directly to the benefit of Waterford.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Funfair wrote: »
    What about a luas type train from Dunmore Rd to Ferrybank. They could put the tracks along the river edge with numerous stops at schools the park, the quay etc..
    Cheaper then a bridge and open to Eu funding as it will be environmental friendly.
    City Council needs to get into the real world as something has to be done with the mess they made of the traffic flows to the city centre

Not cost effective and never going to happen...atleast in the next 20-30 years I'd say
    Your best bet is getting either a completed ring road with another bridge or a pedestrian bridge built that connects around the tower hotel.

A pedestrian would be better in some respects as it would encourage more people to walk and cycle into the city. If this was combined with a bikes scheme it could work very well indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057643343

And Galway!!! :)

You suggest a pedestrian bridge that allows cyclists???

Don't they cause enough mayhem already on the roads without adding any more to the fray!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not cost effective and never going to happen...atleast in the next 20-30 years I'd say
    Your best bet is getting either a completed ring road with another bridge or a pedestrian bridge built that connects around the tower hotel.

A pedestrian would be better in some respects as it would encourage more people to walk and cycle into the city. If this was combined with a bikes scheme it could work very well indeed.

Totally agree - a luas for waterford is pie in the sky stuff.

How can you say a pedestrian bridge would be better? How will that help the chronic traffic on the dunmore road and the quays and the pitiful situation of ambulances being stuck in traffic.

How can we realise the dream of reclaiming the quays if its now all just one big carpark - including the lanes!

We need to finish the ring road with another bridge - have cycle lanes on it by all means.

This week's N&S reports that the council favours completing the ring road with a bridge near Maypark.

Details to follow very soon they say.

Sooner the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the airport can't get about 800k off the gubberment I'd have to wonder about the chances for this being funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

JMT2016 wrote: »
    This week's N&S reports that the council favours completing the ring road with a bridge near Maypark.

Details to follow very soon they say.

Sooner the better!

I’m very much in favour of this but if they are going to go the public private partnership route with a toll they may as well not bloody bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

If the airport can't get about 800k off the gubberment I'd have to wonder about the chances for this being funded.

Exactly.

People who think there will be a new crossing in Waterford are deluded. The lack of runway/hospital/university funding is the signal from Dublin that Waterford doesn't matter one jot. I mean how much more evidence do Waterford people need before it sinks in?

• Advertisement

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Exactly.

People who think there will be a new crossing in Waterford are deluded.

Don't agree.

Besides, the council has to have a proper plan in place for when funding is available even if you are right.

Cork have 8 new bridges in their development plan
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057430459

Limerick is getting an $18m "pointless" bridge
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/204700/Councillors-blast--18m-Limerick-project.html

And there is a critical need to have the ring road completed.

BBM77 wrote: »
    I’m very much in favour of this but if they are going to go the public private partnership route with a toll they may as well not bloody bother.

For someone in Ferrybank or South KK, I would prefer that ambulances from Ardkeen pay a 2e toll and save a life in minutes than try to negotiate the quay at peak times.

For someone in Ferrybank or South KK, I would prefer that ambulances from Ardkeen pay a 2e toll and save a life in minutes than try to negotiate the quay at peak times.

For god sake ambulances are exempt from toll charges. You don’t think they stop to pay a toll when they have the sick and dying in the back.

BBM77 wrote: »
    For god sake ambulances are exempt from toll charges. You don’t think they stop to pay a toll when they have the sick and dying in the back.

Stop to pay a toll? For god sake man we have etags in this day and age.

Any hospital emergency - ambulance or not - from the ferrybank direction would use the ardkeen bridge instead of the quays - that's the point!

Stop to pay a toll? For god sake man we have etags in this day and age.

Any hospital emergency - ambulance or not - from the ferrybank direction would use the ardkeen bridge instead of the quays - that's the point!

As I wrote ambulances are exempt from toll charges. Your point about ambulances and tolls is completely irrelevant.

Advertisement