Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 new bridges for Cork

Options
  • 15-05-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Saw this head line on the front of the Echo on Monday. Didn't read it and I haven't seen a thing on line about it.

Anyone know what the full story is ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

It's the new City Development Plan.
    http://www.corkcitydevelopmentplan.ie/

It mention about eight new bridges to be developed either in the medium or long term.

There will be two bridges at the Beamish site connected to the events centre.
    There are three bridges planned in the docklands. One near Pairc Ui Chaoimh, another at Water Street by the train station and maybe a third near Kennedy Quay.
    There is a footbridge planned for Merchant's Quay across to the back of the Metropole.
    A bridge from UCC's lab place across to the Mercy.
    I think UCC are planning another bridge in their own grounds near the main gates. Forget what it's called though.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

We are a city built on islands so with all the new developments, it stands to reason we need more bridges. I am really impressed by some of the locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I managed fine with the old bridges...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I managed fine with the old bridges...

Those 3 new bridges downstream of the city centre will be fantastic. Will open up the socks and Blackrock to the other side of the river and will take loads of traffic out of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Saw this head line on the front of the Echo on Monday. Didn't read it and I haven't seen a thing on line about it.

Anyone know what the full story is ?

Long term just like the proposed Cork to Limerick motorway, Cork gets the crumbs im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The three bridges proposed for along the marina area would be great; was just saying the other day that it would be great not only for traffic but for people on the north side (like myself ;)) who would like to go running along the marina, could just run down to the lower road and then across the bridge to the marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

One of the lower ones down by the marina is badly needed esp once the albert quay site is opened for business. The site that lost out to bemish site is now earmaked for office development so could lead to serious conjestion at that end of town.Hopefully one if the lower ones get prioitized.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Does this mean boats will no longer come up to the Quays?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dewdrop wrote: »
    Does this mean boats will no longer come up to the Quays?

Unless they build lifting /swinging bridges, yes.
    I'd miss having ships and yachts in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Those 3 new bridges downstream of the city centre will be fantastic. Will open up the socks and Blackrock to the other side of the river and will take loads of traffic out of the city centre.

A footbridge of some sort would be fantastic between blackrock/ Mahon. Although dunno how feasible one would be with ships coming in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

this would all tie in with the remaining parts of the inner port being moved to ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

That's an awful lot of ship activity disappearing; there's the commercial ships alongside the old odlums building and quite a few visiting navy vessels, research vessels, trawlers, yachts etc. Are they building a visitor-friendly marina somewhere to accommodate them? Near parc ui chaoimh perhaps?

I'd much prefer seeing ships and boats in town rather than facilitating someone's running pastime. We're losing something intrinsic to the city here.

EDIT: had a rummage "all bridges are intended to have opening spans", thought the H&S brigade would scupper that, thankfully not.

I'd much prefer seeing ships and boats in town rather than facilitating someone's running pastime. We're losing something intrinsic to the city here.

EDIT: had a rummage "all bridges are intended to have opening spans", thought the H&S brigade would scupper that, thankfully not.

Is that a dig at my comment?? If it is, absolutely no need for it.

Calm down a small bit, buddy.

Calm down a small bit, buddy.

Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Can't we build a bridge?

*couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Does anyone have a link to a map of location for the bridges down the marina? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Does anyone have a link to a map of location for the bridges down the marina? thanks

This was the proposed Eastern Gateway bridge at Tivoli linking the Tivoli skew bridge across.

Cork-Eastern-Gateway-Bridge-01.jpg

This was to be the one at Water Street.

Water_Street_bridge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

This is all pie in the sky stuff. The city council/NRA can't even get funding for the much needed Dunkettle Interchange upgrade or the N28 upgrade both of which are absolutely vital for the Cork economy. We'll be waiting a long time to get any of the mentioned bridges built. When it comes to getting funding for major infrastructure the city of Cork is getting screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

This map was from when Howard Holdings were planning their development near Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

hDQy2rk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

At least Cork City, unlike certain other Irish urban settlements : cough: Dublin & Galway actually has far-sighted planning and medium and long term plans.

It's one of the few parts of Ireland that has had decent planning with the unfortunately named CLUTS plan and the others that have followed.

Development around the city is also not sprawled and we actually have a green belt and satellite towns. If this were Dublin you'd have continious housing estates from Wilton to Ballincollig and probably from Montenotte to Carrigtwohil and some kind of sprawling mess around Douglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

We need more water taxis and river ferries

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We need more water taxis and river ferries

Rowers don't like them -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Rowers don't like them -

Whatever about rowers, I don't think it would be economic to operate them in such a small city, unless it was tourist summer river cruise, which operates already iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Even the addition of the Skew Bridge next to Pairc Ui Chaoimh would be a massive addition to the city. It would remove a lot of traffic going from Ballintemple/Blachrock/Mahon through the tunnel and also away from that horrible junction at Mahon Point. Hopefully Cork City will see this one at least go ahead very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Even the addition of the Skew Bridge next to Pairc Ui Chaoimh would be a massive addition to the city. It would remove a lot of traffic going from Ballintemple/Blachrock/Mahon through the tunnel and also away from that horrible junction at Mahon Point. Hopefully Cork City will see this one at least go ahead very soon.

True so many areas of the city and suburbs would benefit from that one bridge...should be an urgent one

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Would that not involve diverting a lot of traffic through the planned Marina Public Park? (I'm not too familiar with that part of the city)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

moyners wrote: »
    Would that not involve diverting a lot of traffic through the planned Marina Public Park? (I'm not too familiar with that part of the city)

Not through the proposed park AFAIK, if it is ever built, it will be located at the opposite side of PUC away from the river Lee. The road to the city centre is pretty good and should be capable of handling increased traffic. The biggest problems from a new bridge next to PUC would be a lot more traffic in Ballintemple Village and Blackrock Village at the end of the Marina. Both of these can get a bit blocked with busses or large trucks at the moment so further works may be needed or else some traffic restrictions at both these spots.

There definitely would be knock on effects from a new bridge to be considered, but overall I think it would be very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

moyners wrote: »

The plans for the Atlantic Quarter is to turn the Monaghan Road into the main thoroughfare to cater for traffic coming over this bridge and heading into the city centre. The Centre Park Road would instead be the focal point of the entire Atlantic Quarter development. Have a look at the render below.

IMO, this swing bridge is vital and is probably more important than the other 2 further upstream. This bridge would spur on the docklands development.

img1.jpg

Advertisement