Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need a new bridge!!!

Options
  • 28-08-2016 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

It takes so long now to get from ferrybank into the city it's not funny!!

Almost 50 minutes to get to Poleberry it took me during the week - I'd have been parked up in Kilkenny City by the time I got into town. Madness.

This isn't a rant about the quays - I like what they are trying to do - but really there has to be something done here - people shouldn't have to be going over the toll bridge miles out of the way just to get a few bits in town in a reasonable time.

Would they ever think of putting in a bridge like somewhere connecting Ross Abbey with Ardkeen? It would help ferrybank folk getting to the hospital as well.

I like the idea of the footbridge over to the clock tower but that's not much help if you have do the shopping in town!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

You must have come down dock rd, along the quay, up the mall, Parnell st and manor st at about 9 o'clock in the morning. I live in ferrybank for over 12yrs and it has never taken 50mins to get to any where in town bar an accident or event happening in town.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JMT2016 wrote: »
    I like the idea of the footbridge over to the clock tower but that's not much help if you have do the shopping in town!

Works for people in Amsterdam though, get a cargo bike :D

urban-arrow-cargo-bike-family-version.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

Mulbert wrote: »
    You must have come down dock rd, along the quay, up the mall, Parnell st and manor st at about 9 o'clock in the morning. I live in ferrybank for over 12yrs and it has never taken 50mins to get to any where in town bar an accident or event happening in town.

Ya that's the route, was around lunchtime had every red light possible as well :O

But there's definitely been a large build in traffic in the last 12 months especially on dock road, what will it be like in another year?

When bilberry goes one away it will be impossible to get back over the bridge as well!!!

Cabaal wrote: »
    Works for people in Amsterdam though, get a cargo bike :D

That would take a few six-packs in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Almost 50 minutes to get to Poleberry it took me during the week - I'd have been parked up in Kilkenny City by the time I got into town!
    Why not just go to Kilkenny where there is no expanse of a fine river.:confused:

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    Why not just go to Kilkenny where there is no expanse of a fine river.:confused:

Well it doesn't have a tesco for starters...

A new bridge would solve a lot of the traffic nonsense though - they're trying to keep traffic off the quays but with the current bridge they're still the main entry into the city... madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Don't go down The Quay, it's like saying that it took 4 hours to get to Dublin but I went through Kilkenny Town, Carlow, Kilcullen and Naas. Why would anyone who knows the town use the quay to get to poleberry from ferrybank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Don't go down The Quay, it's like saying that it took 4 hours to get to Dublin but I went through Kilkenny Town, Carlow, Kilcullen and Naas. Why would anyone who knows the town use the quay to get to poleberry from ferrybank?

I use to have to get onto the quay whenever I drove from my house. The first thing I would do is then get off the quay. This was before they even changed the layout too.

I think we can do better than that though. When you drive in from the ferrybank side you have two options (i) "Bridge Street" and something like (ii) All routes the Quay - of course people are going to pick the quay if they don't know any better like!

A traffic system that assumes that most know or should use the maze of sideroads around Ballybricken to get to most of the city is daft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The topography of the City makes things hard to change in an meaningful way. Where would this mystical bridge cross? From the Christendom end of the north quays to the end of the south quays? If so it would need to be an opening span for the traffic up river be it berthing at the North Quays or that goes further up river and that wouldn't be cheap.

• Advertisement

That's why I was saying put it by Ross Abbey and into Ardkeen further down stream - it would be completing the ring road for all the world.

It would take so much pressure off the quays as well if the people on the north of the city could get into the newtown/john's hill/folly area without having to do ridiculously long detours or traffic jams.

Limerick has quite a wide Shannon opening and yet has multiple bridges - why shouldn't we have a bridge that would actually take some heat off the dock road, quays and the dunmore road and might breathe a bit of life into Ross Abbey as well. Sounds like a win win to me.

Imagine how bad the traffic will get if waterford actually starts booming again in a few years! It's desperate as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Almost 50 minutes to get to Poleberry it took me during the week - I'd have been parked up in Kilkenny City by the time I got into town. Madness.

This isn't a rant about the quays - I like what they are trying to do - but really there has to be something done here - people shouldn't have to be going over the toll bridge miles out of the way just to get a few bits in town in a reasonable time.

Would they ever think of putting in a bridge like somewhere connecting Ross Abbey with Ardkeen? It would help ferrybank folk getting to the hospital as well.

They are looking at building a new bridge, very early stages admittedly.

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/new-bridge-mooted-near-maypark-lane/

There is literally nowhere to put the link road on the Waterford side of the river. The other issue is that even if there were the ORR at Ardkeen is a pathetic two lane road and already overloaded with traffic movement.

The only remotely sensible thing to do would be to put another link from the N25 down to near Bellview cross the river at Faithlegge and run a road along the riverside at Kings Channel and then join the Dunmore road at Ballymaclode and then run a new Outer Outer Ring road link across to the ORR at the Airport road roundabout. This would kill two birds as the Dunmore road traffic would have a quicker more direct route to the industrial west of the City

Something like this! (anyone got 100m euro?!)

Image1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There is an easier solution and that is to remove the toll off the ring road

There is literally nowhere to put the link road on the Waterford side of the river. The other issue is that even if there were the ORR at Ardkeen is a pathetic two lane road and already overloaded with traffic movement.

Yep it wasn't future proofed that's for sure!

How about the old Glanbia site at the side of the hospital? would only be a two lane road but it would sure beat the two lane quay these days. Doesn't have to be a massive road to be really helpful.
    The only remotely sensible thing to do would be to put another link from the N25 down to near Bellview cross the river at Faithlegge and run a road along the riverside at Kings Channel and then join the Dunmore road at Ballymaclode and then run a new Outer Outer Ring road link across to the ORR at the Airport road roundabout. This would kill two birds as the Dunmore road traffic would have a quicker more direct route to the industrial west of the City

Something like this! (anyone got 100m euro?!)

That would be the rolls royce option alright!

BBM77 wrote: »

Cheers - snap! Maypark lane is where the Glanbia site is - delighted they're at least exploring the option.

They could always CPO some of the large Dunmore Road houses if they were really stuck for sites ;)

As I say though that just empties more traffic into a fit to burst road system - anyone who commutes in and out of the City along the Dunmore Road knows what it's like every work day, esp if there are an roadworks

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

As I say though that just empties more traffic into a fit to burst road system - anyone who commutes in and out of the City along the Dunmore Road knows what it's like every work day, esp if there are an roadworks

yup - keep your traffic Ferrybank we don't want it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They could always go underground if there is no suitable overground route....its about time they gave use a tunnel like Dublin/Cork/Limerick :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They could always go underground if there is no suitable overground route....its about time they gave use a tunnel like Dublin/Cork/Limerick :rolleyes:

Dublin tunnel is €10

https://dublintunnel.ie/tolls_and_permitted_vehicles/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

BBM77 wrote: »

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/new-bridge-mooted-near-maypark-lane/

Like to know where they are going to get the money from. The government has to subsidise the toll bridge when the numbers are not up to scratch so if they helped fund a second bridge, that subsequently reduces the traffic on the toll, then it would be costing more than the just capital investment for the second bridge.

The bridge would also need to be lifted otherwise we will no longer be able to have ships in the city centre.

I suppose they never considered people would prefer to sit in traffic for 50mins than pay €2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

beauf wrote: »
    I suppose they never considered people would prefer to sit in traffic for 50mins than pay 2

The long detour that bypass would take make it worth sitting in traffic. I dont see the toll been the problem.

50 mns in this case is not normal even if the quay is that bad.

The toll always comes up in any thread on Waterford traffic.

Feeding more traffic into the city centre (new bridge) isn't going to fix the problem of traffic going through the centre. If the capacity of the city centre is the issue. As the traffic is after the bridge it suggests the problem is not the bridge, but after that.

Has there been any traffic study of journeys, the time take on alternative routes. A lot of people only know one way to a place and very reluctant to learn a new route. Its a bit of a lemming train.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Think I saw the proposed route for the bridge mooted for Maypark Lane coming right through the entrance to the nursing home;
    https://goo.gl/maps/7MnQR4R3npr
    Its doable and a lot of the traffic that Harry Palmr refers to is not just going into the city but also includes lots going north across Rice bridge which would divert across a Maypark-Christendom alternative e.g Dunmore holidaymakers, UHW hospital visitors/patients from Wex/KK/Carlow etc. Dunmore road residents working in Ferrybank/KK etc. (its not oneway Journeyman 8).
    The model drawings I've seen show it as high-level so no interference with river traffic.
    So just the moo-la from the government and the NIMBY objectors in Freshfield & Maypark to worry about. So should be in place by the 20's................. 2120's.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The long detour that bypass would take make it worth sitting in traffic. I dont see the toll been the problem.

50 mns in this case is not normal even if the quay is that bad.

Exactly, it would be like taking the M50 to get from Santry to Dun Laoighaire. The price isn't the problem it's just the physical distance doesn't make it a decent alternative.

Oh yes 50 mins is not the norm - as I said, I got every red light in heavy traffic.... but it is still shocking that the main arteries through the city are so clogged it takes ridiculous amounts of time to get around.

Think I saw the proposed route for the bridge mooted for Maypark Lane coming right through the entrance to the nursing home;
    Its doable and a lot of the traffic that Harry Palmr refers to is not just going into the city but also includes lots going north across Rice bridge which would divert across a Maypark-Christendom alternative e.g Dunmore holidaymakers, UHW hospital visitors/patients from Wex/KK/Carlow etc. Dunmore road residents working in Ferrybank/KK etc. (its not oneway Journeyman 8).

Totally agree - these people are totally ignored by the current set up.
    The model drawings I've seen show it as high-level so no interference with river traffic.
    So just the moo-la from the government and the NIMBY objectors in Freshfield & Maypark to worry about. So should be in place by the 20's................. 2120's.

I don't think it will take that long - the delays are going to get much worse and it will become obvious that a new traffic bridge will be the priority not a cycle path Clock-Tower to Ferrybank.

Totally agree - these people are totally ignored by the current set up.

I don't think it will take that long - the delays are going to get much worse and it will become obvious that a new traffic bridge will be the priority not a cycle path Clock-Tower to Ferrybank.

Exactly, it would be like taking the M50 to get from Santry to Dun Laoighaire. The price isn't the problem it's just the physical distance doesn't make it a decent alternative.

Oh yes 50 mins is not the norm - as I said, I got every red light in heavy traffic.... but it is still shocking that the main arteries through the city are so clogged it takes ridiculous amounts of time to get around.

Well thats a bad example as there no difference in time, and our M50 is usually a car park with accidents, every hour or so. its often quicker to avoid it.

Googling, ferry bank to Poleberry is about 14 min cycle.

Yeah I know it doesn't suit everyone. But just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

O Riain wrote: »
    Like to know where they are going to get the money from. The government has to subsidise the toll bridge when the numbers are not up to scratch so if they helped fund a second bridge, that subsequently reduces the traffic on the toll, then it would be costing more than the just capital investment for the second bridge.

The bridge would also need to be lifted otherwise we will no longer be able to have ships in the city centre.

Apple are going to pay for it out of the goodness of its heart!!! :)

http://www.independent.ie/business/brussels-set-to-demand-years-of-extra-tax-payments-from-apple-35003372.html

Advertisement