Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need a new bridge!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

beauf wrote: »
    Well thats a bad example as there no difference in time, and our M50 is usually a car park with accidents, every hour or so. its often quicker to avoid it.

Googling, ferry bank to Poleberry is about 14 min cycle.

Yeah I know it doesn't suit everyone. But just saying.

Sorry I meant Sutton to Dun-laoghaire!

How long does ferrybank to Poleberry take to cycle with 2 kids and 6*2 litres of water?!

Cycling just is not an option for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think what's happened in Waterford is the local authority are after completing choking up the Quays with all this traffic management bs. Noticed it last few times I was down, what was once a nice wide free flowing road had been reduced to two lane. I assume they are trying to force more cars to use the toll road by doing this by making it less attractive to use the old route.

road_high wrote: »
    Think what's happened in Waterford is the local authority are after completing choking up the Quays with all this traffic management bs. Noticed it last few times I was down, what was once a nice wide free flowing road had been reduced to two lane. I assume they are trying to force more cars to use the toll road by doing this by making it less attractive to use the old route.

Well they are definitely trying to make fewer cars use the quay, and I think that's a good thing for the long-term because it will help invigorate the quays once again!

But without a proper link to the hub that is the Dunmore Road etc... it really won't work.

We really need to have a complete ring road - the horseshoe won't do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

road_high wrote: »

I wouldn't call it a free flowing road previously, traffic was still ridiculously bad and this had added to the problem. I don't think having a dual carriageway (lane wise) on the quays was suitable either.

The bus lanes need to go as they are not used by buses and some traffic light time changes would help a lot. The traffic flow from Lanbard Street is the real problem and it's the levels they allow each light change which is responsible for clogging up quay between there and the first roundabout, not even half the level of cares on Parnel Street get through the same set of lights.

Overall better sequence of traffic lights between the bridge and the Mall is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

JMT2016 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant Sutton to Dun-laoghaire!

I'm not seeing that makes a difference. The M50 is still a car park. Accidents on it constantly. You'd avoid it for that reason alone.
    JMT2016 wrote: »
    How long does ferrybank to Poleberry take to cycle with 2 kids and 6*2 litres of water?!

Cycling just is not an option for many people.

I made that point already.

But...

Probably the same time. Its under 15mins, and only a few bottles of water.

http://tinyurl.com/jd8czgl

We've become normalized to doing everything in a car. Even when its not required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭JohnC.

People who think it was free flowing before have memory problems.

Getting into Waterford from across the bridge was a nightmare. Often backed up past the crossing gates on the Limerick road at busy times. Out to Dawn Meats a few times I can remember. It was only free flowing at certain quiet times. Guess what, it still is, and the bad times are not nearly as bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The bus lanes need to go as they are not used by buses and some traffic light time changes would help a lot. The traffic flow from Lanbard Street is the real problem and it's the levels they allow each light change which is responsible for clogging up quay between there and the first roundabout, not even half the level of cares on Parnel Street get through the same set of lights.

Overall better sequence of traffic lights between the bridge and the Mall is needed.

So what you're saying is give total priority to the cars and less priority to public transport, bikes and pedestrians?

Much of the traffic coming off the Dunmore road could take the bypass and really has no place what so ever going through the Quays, for the time they loose on the quays they'd be faster on the bypass and the quays would be a nicer place.

The idea for the quays is to put people off using it as a through road, instead the council want only people that want to shop or do business in the city centre coming in. They want people walking around, people cycling and people on public transport.

You're suggesting that public transport priority should be scrapped, pedestrians should have to wait longer at all crossing points which will lead to more jay walking and the place should be made more unsafe for cyclists just so people can use the quays as a through road.

Whats needed here is a mindset change, not basically reverting everything to the way things used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cabaal wrote: »
    So what you're saying is give total priority to the cars and less priority to public transport, bikes and pedestrians?

Much of the traffic coming off the Dunmore road could take the bypass and really has no place what so ever going through the Quays, for the time they loose on the quays they'd be faster on the bypass and the quays would be a nicer place.

The idea for the quays is to put people off using it as a through road, instead the council want only people that want to shop or do business in the city center coming in. They want people walking around, people cycling and people on public transport.

You're suggesting that public transport priority should be scrapped, pedestrians should have to wait longer at all crossing points which will lead to more jay walking and the place should be made more unsafe for cyclists just so people can use the quays as a through road.

Whats needed here is a mindset change, not basically reverting everything to the way things used to be.

No I am not but the current set up is doing nothing for public transport.

The bus lanes are not practical the way they are done, take for example heading towards the tour, you have a lane for a couple of meters before it ends and turns into the Lombard Street turn, not a single bus uses it because they won't be able to get back into the correct lane at the Tower.

You then have the other lane heading for the bridge where only a few express intercity buses use however they don't really use it either.

If you cannot be bothered doing it properly then don't bother at all is what I am saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No I am not but the current set up is doing nothing for public transport.

The bus lanes are not practical the way they are done, take for example heading towards the tour, you have a lane for a couple of meters before it ends and turns into the Lanbart Street turn, not a single bus uses it because they won't be able to get back into the correct lane at the Tower.

You then have the other lane heading for the bridge where only a few express intercity buses use however they don't really use it either.

If you cannot be bothered doing it properly then don't bother at all is what I am saying.

I assume it's Lombard Street that you're referring to!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Here is a map of the suggested route for bridge / eastern bypass (Blue Hatched Line is the proposed route)

BDyVegrh.png

Source

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jambo wrote: »
    Here is a map of the suggested route for bridge / eastern bypass (Blue Hatched Line is the proposed route)

Source

Utter madness, can you imagine the volume of traffic morning and evening trying to get onto or off the Dunmore road at the poxy Maypark/Ardkeen roundabout? The tailbacks would be massive.

Utter madness, can you imagine the volume of traffic morning and evening trying to get onto or off the Dunmore road at the poxy Maypark/Ardkeen roundabout? The tailbacks would be massive.

Why? Has Kilkenny become an employment hotspot?

You clearly have no idea about how many people commute from South Kilkenny and Wexford to the WIT, the industrial est and surrounding areas like Genzyme and they have to go home in the evening!

They'd make a beeline for that route and head down the ORR.

You clearly have no idea about how many people commute from South Kilkenny and Wexford to the WIT, the industrial est and surrounding areas like Genzyme and they have to go home in the evening!

But if it was tolled though...? look at the east link in Dublin.

The locals who know the city won't need to pay it as they know the maze of streets in the old town.

The reason the others would be tempted to take that route is because it is a badly needed route for connectivity around the city!!

Imagine if the toll was lifted on the Meagher bridge and then a toll was on the "Ardkeen" bridge. If it was made high enough Maypark could cope with the traffic from it.

I have no doubt there would be plenty of demand and would pay for itself unlike the Meagher bridge.

No reason why the toll couldn't be time dependent.

You want to skip the quay and dunmore road traffic at 5pm - Save 30 mins & pay 3euro

Person from Ferrybank wants to go to Next in ardkeen saturday afternoon - Save 15 mins & pay 1.40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

IMO any new vehicle river crossing on east side of city would have to be lot further out for various reasons, somewhere out near/past ballygunner would be most appropriate which would need to link into ORR then.

Max Powers wrote: »
    IMO any new vehicle river crossing on east side of city would have to be lot further out for various reasons, somewhere out near/past ballygunner would be most appropriate which would need to link into ORR then.

See my map on the previous page! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100835394&postcount=14

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

With the South-East now the fastest growing region outside of Dublin , this may happen sooner rather than later .

Sorry Harry! That was my attempt at sarcasm!

I'm well aware of the influx of economic refugees from other counties!!!

Fair enough! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

What about a luas type train from Dunmore Rd to Ferrybank. They could put the tracks along the river edge with numerous stops at schools the park, the quay etc..
    Cheaper then a bridge and open to Eu funding as it will be environmental friendly.
    City Council needs to get into the real world as something has to be done with the mess they made of the traffic flows to the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Funfair wrote: »
    What about a luas type train from Dunmore Rd to Ferrybank. They could put the tracks along the river edge with numerous stops at schools the park, the quay etc..
    Cheaper then a bridge and open to Eu funding as it will be environmental friendly.
    City Council needs to get into the real world as something has to be done with the mess they made of the traffic flows to the city centre

I like this a lot, whether it's possible I don't know but hope the Council are looking at all possibilities, not just building a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Waterford would not have the population density to support a light rail system of any size.

while it would be great, it will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

Sorry Harry! That was my attempt at sarcasm!

I'm well aware of the influx of economic refugees from other counties!!!

There's also a outflux of economic refugees from Waterford to other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The toll bridge cost hundreds of millions, the toll company has to be paid if it does not make money due to lack of users.
    Nobody is going to give another hundred million to build another bridge.

amber69 wrote: »

We're bringing culture and class to other counties. Alas they need it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

I guess that's why the Three Sister's application for the European City of Culture was approved!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭gw80

amber69 wrote: »
    But most people who live in Waterford work in Waterford,and most people who live in south Kilkenny work in Waterford also,

Pocaide wrote: »
    I guess that's why the Three Sister's application for the European City of Culture was approved!!!!!!

We had too much culture!!! It was the others that dragged us down.

• Advertisement

gw80 wrote: »
    But most people who live in Waterford work in Waterford,and most people who live in south Kilkenny work in Waterford also,

You forgot Wexford, South Tipp' Carlow. and Cork!

We're the Mecca of the South East!

Advertisement