Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**UKCAT, HPAT + Medicine 2017 Entry**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

For the sleep onset question I think you could work out the number of kids in the study, the total amount wasn't going to change so you could take one away from the total and find the missing number

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mbh008

What did you guys say for that question in section 2 where the mother complains about having to work and take care of her daughter (she says something like women have to work too/she has to say no to her daughter)
    I was between morose and self absobred
    And bitter and resentful

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Daggermouth

For the sleep onset question I think you could work out the number of kids in the study, the total amount wasn't going to change so you could take one away from the total and find the missing number

You could work out the total number of children alright, but it asked for something like 'how many of the children with sleep onset problems in 2008 had sleep onset problems in 2009'. I'm not 100% sure if you could get a number for it, but if you could, there would be more math involved than subtracting the total from the other value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

You could work out the total number of children alright, but it asked for something like 'how many of the children with sleep onset problems in 2008 had sleep onset problems in 2009'. I'm not 100% sure if you could get a number for it, but if you could, there would be more math involved than subtracting the total from the other value.

I don't think you could get a total as we don't know how many children changed from not having problems to having them the following year. If you didn't know that number, could you work out which children continued to have sleep onset problems, which ones stopped having them and which ones started? I don't think you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nol980

I didn't say that they'd come to an agreement. There didn't seem to be any evidence for it in the passage, IMO. They were consistently disagreeing with each other up until the end of the passage.

Not sure about that question in Section 1. I remember working out numbers for parts of it, but not sure if that was the first part.

I thought so too, as the mother and daughter had completely conflicting views so couldn't see any potential compromise. This led me to pick "The situation will escalate". However, thinking back on it I feel that this sounds a bit extreme seeing as there was no hostility (they both loved each other and the situation was simply a disagreement). Can't remember the other options but for some reason ruled them out at first glance so didn't give them any consideration... :confused:

For the cartoon about the doctor displaying his textbook knowledge of empathy, did anyone choose option A? It was something about empathy being complex and not easily learned.

Also for the question about which of the 4 responses sound the most patronizing, did people pick the one that had a question at the end, something like "Surely you wouldn't want.....?" Think it may have been option B or C? Apologies for the vagueness, can't recall the exact details

• Advertisement

Also due to the mistake in the people sitting around the table question in section 1 (change of name of one of the males) I doubt any marks will be allocated to this question. I would advise people report this to ACER (especially if they didn't understand the question) as added pressure should ensure the question is dismissed when marking the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 InsertCoins

nol980 wrote: »
    I thought so too, as the mother and daughter had completely conflicting views so couldn't see any potential compromise. This led me to pick "The situation will escalate". However, thinking back on it I feel that this sounds a bit extreme seeing as there was no hostility (they both loved each other and the situation was simply a disagreement). Can't remember the other options but for some reason ruled them out at first glance so didn't give them any consideration... :confused:

For the cartoon about the doctor displaying his textbook knowledge of empathy, did anyone choose option A? It was something about empathy being complex and not easily learned.

Also for the question about which of the 4 responses sound the most patronizing, did people pick the one that had a question at the end, something like "Surely you wouldn't want.....?" Think it may have been option B or C? Apologies for the vagueness, can't recall the exact details

You could very well be right, but I just didn't see any evidence for a compromise in the extract. Even the last line was the mother saying something like "Oh Ellie, don't talk about it as if it's the flu." Anyway, we'll never know for sure!

For the doctor cartoon, I went with the "Empathy is a complex. . . that cannot be taught" I'm fairly confident with that one.

For that patronizing question, I remember I went for an option that started with something like "You must be so. . ." I can't really remember the exact sentence, but it seemed to be the only one that made any sense in being correct to me.

You could very well be right, but I just didn't see any evidence for a compromise in the extract. Even the last line was the mother saying something like "Oh Ellie, don't talk about it as if it's the flu." Anyway, we'll never know for sure!

For the doctor cartoon, I went with the "Empathy is a complex. . . that cannot be taught" I'm fairly confident with that one.

For that patronizing question, I remember I went for an option that started with something like "You must be so. . ." I can't really remember the exact sentence, but it seemed to be the only one that made any sense in being correct to me.

Yeah that was my reasoning also.. I presume you went with the same option I did so?

That cartoon was nice, had seen it on M€dentry with a different question so instantly recognised and understood it.

Can't remember the start of the option I picked.. let's hope it's the same one. I skimmed through section 2 thinking I wouldn't have enough time, ended up with several minutes to spare but not having put as much consideration into each question as I would have liked. Was very difficult looking back over the questions in the spare time as brain had decided it was time for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Also due to the mistake in the people sitting around the table question in section 1 (change of name of one of the males) I doubt any marks will be allocated to this question. I would advise people report this to ACER (especially if they didn't understand the question) as added pressure should ensure the question is dismissed when marking the exam.
    Have they replied to this? 😮

Do people think this question won't be counted?

• Advertisement

Do people think this question won't be counted?

Sorry, didn't realise I hadn't replied to this. Tbh I haven't a clue but if I had to bet on it I'd say it won't be.

Have the Hpat results been released to the mature candidates yet? If so, anyone know if much has changed regarding percentile points? Just asking out of curiosity, I know this doesn't really affect anyone's chances of getting into med etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

I've been having a bad feeling as of late that the HPAT results are going to become way way more important in terms of who gets into medicine than they were before. Since B1 and A2 have been merged into H2, there are going to be alot more people on the same level who are scoring between 80-89.

This means that the HPAT would have to be the deciding factor in that case.

Is there anybody else feeling that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DOC_Martin

Hi,

Wondering has anyone ever (or know anyone) managed to transferred to medicine at nuig ?

Are we all ready for tomorrow? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

What time do we get the email?

Usually 6am or so in the morning afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Good luck to everyone.

My brothers getting his tomorrow. I really hope he gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Repeated it this year, really really hoping for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! No matter what, do not take medicine off your CAO. If you don't do as well as you hoped, keep trying. I know people who did the HPAT multiple times and got medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Well, I was totting it up last night, and in a best case scenario with my leaving cert I'd need an absolute minimum of 165 in the HPAT to stand any chance. Ideally I'd want 170+ to stand a decent chance.

Some days I wake up and think "Wouldn't it be great to be a doctor?" and other days I wake up thinking "Why would anybody put themselves through that?"

So even if I do get a decent HPAT I still don't know if medicine is really for me.

In some ways, I'd be delighted to open the email tomorrow and see something like 140 staring back at me, because it would be making the decision for me.

[/rant]

• Advertisement

Second time waiting for these results, all I can do is hope

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

Wait is it 6 tomorrow morning or 6 Tuesday morning we get the results ?

em0192 wrote: »
    Wait is it 6 tomorrow morning or 6 Tuesday morning we get the results ?

6 tomorrow morning

Best of luck to everyone. I feel like us boardsies are in this together!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

Consonata wrote: »
    6 tomorrow morning

Oh my god 6 hours to go .. :( good luck everyone !

I highly recommend not waiting up for them btw, nothing looks good at 6am!

Well, I was totting it up last night, and in a best case scenario with my leaving cert I'd need an absolute minimum of 165 in the HPAT to stand any chance. Ideally I'd want 170+ to stand a decent chance.

Some days I wake up and think "Wouldn't it be great to be a doctor?" and other days I wake up thinking "Why would anybody put themselves through that?"

So even if I do get a decent HPAT I still don't know if medicine is really for me.

In some ways, I'd be delighted to open the email tomorrow and see something like 140 staring back at me, because it would be making the decision for me.

[/rant]

There are always backdoors into it. If you get the 550 points, you can just do Biomed for a year and retake the HPAT, and some colleges will let you skip 1st year and go straight into 2nd year, since alot of the stuff you would be doing is repetitive. I know they do that in UCD at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Consonata wrote: »
    There are always backdoors into it. If you get the 550 points, you can just do Biomed for a year and retake the HPAT, and some colleges will let you skip 1st year and go straight into 2nd year, since alot of the stuff you would be doing is repetitive. I know they do that in UCD at least.

That's what I've done, so this year was truely my last shot at the exam. Whatever will be will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CH1123581321

So how's everyone feeling? :/

• Advertisement

waiting to hear how my son did, hes on holiday now and i dont
    have his login details.

Good luck to all , they are out since 6am i believe

Advertisement