Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**UKCAT, HPAT + Medicine 2017 Entry**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

Have you checked your junk mail? I'd probably email them yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

So how would that affect people from last year? Myself and a lot of other are down 7/8 points due to the new system, surely the points will accommodate this drop?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Yeah it was in junk mail for some reason :/ thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

What sort of ******** percentiles have people been getting in the practice papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CH1123581321

The highest I've ever received was 70th :/ and I wasn't getting that percentile consistently by any means, averaging more around 60th so it's obvious I'm just a tad bit nervous about my chances of getting medicine :P but I do believe miracles can happe! #PositiveThinking :D what about you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Ive gotten anything from 90th to 30th but I keep reminding myself that these aren't accurate reflections of results against everybody who is going to sit the Hpat. I am stuck on the same scores now about 24 in section 1, 26 in section 2 and 19 in section 3.

How do these results compare with anybody else's?
    I really don't know where I'm at anymore..

Fingers crossed things will become clear on the day!

I got a fierce fright with 37th percentile on one Section 1. Its weird because the paper before that I got 74th percentile, and I'm not sure what I did differently. Section 1 is my clear weakest however, I can fairly consistently get 70s-80s in Section 2 and 60s-70s in Section 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So how would that affect people from last year? Myself and a lot of other are down 7/8 points due to the new system, surely the points will accommodate this drop?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

They will have some formula to compensate this. They tested it out on a range of marks from what I am led to believe and saw very little change overall.

spurious wrote: »
    They will have some formula to compensate this. They tested it out on a range of marks from what I am led to believe and saw very little change overall.
    There may be little change overall but there will still be people who benefit more from this system just out of chance. I agree with you that overall more or less the same people will be happy, but that won't necessarily be the right people who are.

There may be little change overall but there will still be people who benefit more from this system just out of chance. I agree with you that overall more or less the same people will be happy, but that won't necessarily be the right people who are.

This just about sums up the HPAT in one.

• Advertisement

Consonata wrote: »
    This just about sums up the HPAT in one.
    Fair point

Is anyone doing any school work over the mid term? I feel if I don't it's a missed opportunity but then again hpat points are much more lucrative, if I don't get the hpat however I'd like to have good LC points to fall back on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bex634

Does anyone know how many people take the ******* course?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

Bex634 wrote: »

I heard around 800 people do it :)

em0192 wrote: »

I heard around 800 people do it :)
    alright thanks :) 
    Sorry, another question, do you know how many people apply to medicine in Ireland?

I remember at the m€d€ntry course he said between 3,000-3,200 people sit the exam every year and about 20-30% of that do m€dentry every year

How many spots are there in undergrad medicine every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

Ponguin wrote: »
    How many spots are there in undergrad medicine every year?

There's around 480 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Prisoner24601

Sorry, another question, do you know how many people apply to medicine in Ireland?
    Tbh I'd say a lot more than 20-30% do the ******** course.. I imagine there's upwards of 60-70% of people sitting prep courses.

Tbh I'd say a lot more than 20-30% do the ******** course.. I imagine there's upwards of 60-70% of people sitting prep courses.
    That's a scary thought since some papers i'm getting really low percentiles on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

What number from the driving licence do I write on the admission ticket. There's a few between licence number, driver number as well as a few more.

And also, why is "dedsentry" (if you get me) treated as almost a curse word around here?

What number from the driving licence do I write on the admission ticket. There's a few between licence number, driver number as well as a few more.

And also, why is "dedsentry" (if you get me) treated as almost a curse word around here?

Because we aren't allowed to promote/talk about any specific grinds schools/courses for the HPAT. It's frowned upon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's more because when this all started, this forum and other parts of the site got spammed to high heaven with shilling for M€dentry, to the point where the Mods / Admins got thoroughly fed up of cleaning it up, and in the end it was added to the "banned word" list!

I emailed Hpat about this and they said put down the permit number for the document number

Sorry just to clarify is that the driver number (item 4d) or the licence number (item 5) ?

Sorry just to clarify is that the driver number (item 4d) or the licence number (item 5) ?

It's no.5 on mine. It's called permit number on my card but that's probably because mines a learner permit so I'd say it's your licence number

How is everyone feeling about tomorrow?

I was actually relaxed until yesterday when I realised how much everyone else was doing, still have no idea where I'm at percentile wise

Trying to stay calm but like Ponguin, a bit nervous about my percentile scores on
    M€dentry. :/ I wish all of you the best for tomorrow anyway and have the craic ;)

• Advertisement

I can't wait to get it over with! At this point there is nothing more we can do but doing nothing the night before makes me nervous :eek:

Best of luck to everybody tomorrow, I will see ye all in med school :D

Advertisement