Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pi in the Sky...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

From memory this is what I done based on very recent RetroPie install.

1. Get the PI online, either wifi or wired
    2. Run the retropie-setup script, select configure bluetooth
    3. Watch the console carefully, if it downloads and installs new packages then reboot and start again
    4. "Register and Connect to Bluetooth device"
    It should list the available devices here, select your one and follow the prompts
    5. "Display registered...."
    If 8Bitdo is not listed then registered failed. Power cycle the controller and try to register it again. I turn on the controller in 'mode 1' i.e. pressing 'Start' only.
    6. "udev rules for 8Bitdo" option and reboot
    7. Start 'Emulationstation' and follow onscreen prompts to configure the new controller

At this point the controller should be working fine for emulation station. But this is where is gets messy - the emulationstation and retroarch configs are complete different...

All the connected joysticks are devices listed under /dev/input, so you should have at least /dev/input/js0

If you run the command "jstest /dev/input/js0 --event" (if jstest is not installed then run, sudo apt-get install joystick)

This will show something like this
    linux_jstest.png

With each button press make a note the corresponding number reported (Button X on the controller may be 4 for instance). Now armed with the list of buttons go and edit the /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/8Bitdo....cfg file
    Replace the numbers in this file with your preferred ones for each button and it should work now. I think there is script to do this but don't know the name of it..

Starting the 8Bitdo arcade stick by just press home should bring it up as a joystick not a keyboard according to their manual.

Thank you for all that! I'll give it a go tonight.

You'd think both emulationstation and retroarch would have found an easier way since the 8bitdo controllers are very popular for the past few years with retropie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Inviere wrote: »
    No that's not right, it should be saved & stored somewhere. Are you connecting the controller up AFTER the unit has booted by any chance?

nope, just did it again, and the pad is plugged in and need to configure it again

I may just start all over again...and after this then someone else can have it !!:confused::confused::eek:

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

nope, just did it again, and the pad is plugged in and need to configure it again

I may just start all over again...and after this then someone else can have it !!:confused::confused::eek:

Strange, I wonder if there's a permissions problem, & the config file can't be saved. When you configure the controller, try to save the config file to your pc, & then reupload it to the Pi as a read only file maybe?

Strange, I wonder if there's a permissions problem, & the config file can't be saved. When you configure the controller, try to save the config file to your pc, & then reupload it to the Pi as a read only file maybe?

do you think its Pi or HDD problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

.........Starting the 8Bitdo arcade stick by just press home should bring it up as a joystick not a keyboard according to their manual.

Thanks very much LB, but it didnt work, not connecting at all. Sick of it now, think I'll sell on the Arcade Stick. Driving me mad, spending way too much time on it (and the two other 8bit controllers).

Thanks again for the walk through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

do you think its Pi or HDD problem?

Almost definitely a software, not a hardware issue. if your roms are saved and appearing every time it's likely to be either A) funny configuration or B) a permissions issue.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Almost definitely a software, not a hardware issue. if your roms are saved and appearing every time it's likely to be either A) funny configuration or B) a permissions issue.

Well....i added a couple of ROMS and did he scraping but it found nothing...

I think I am missing something obvious...I am wondering if its a permissions thing.

I need to figure that out...but as previous poster said...am spending too much time on it..so will see

but as previous poster said...am spending too much time on it..so will see

It's part of the fun of it (believe it or not). When you figure it out, you'll have learned something & will have conquered a problem :)

As above, it's most definitely a software issue. The sd card isn't set to read only or anything is it? The only thing that should live on the hdd is the roms directory, and the controller config file should still be on the sd card.

Taken from here:
    https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

The location of your file should be here after you've configured it:
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads

The file looks like this:
    input_device = "USB gamepad           "
    input_driver = "udev"
    input_r_btn = "5"
    input_save_state_btn = "5"
    input_start_btn = "9"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "9"
    input_l_btn = "4"
    input_load_state_btn = "4"
    input_up_axis = "-1"
    input_a_btn = "1"
    input_b_btn = "2"
    input_reset_btn = "2"
    input_down_axis = "+1"
    input_right_axis = "+0"
    input_state_slot_increase_axis = "+0"
    input_x_btn = "0"
    input_menu_toggle_btn = "0"
    input_select_btn = "8"
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "8"
    input_y_btn = "3"
    input_left_axis = "-0"
    input_state_slot_decrease_axis = "-0"

I vaguely remember when I set mine up, it did print out the digits that it was assigning as values so maybe take those values down and create this file manually?

also, check if the file has the correct permissions. it will look something like this if you run the "ll" command (2 small L's):
    -rwxrw-r-- 1 pi pi 17294 Jan 12 13:41 autoconfig

The bit at the start outlines the permissions. it's a 10 character string with either a letter or a dash. With all letters it looks like:
    drwxrwxrwx
    the first "d" means it's a directory so it definitely shouldn't have that. so it should be something like:
    -rwxrwxrwx

This is actually 3 different sets of permissions. If we use colors, it's a bit easier:
    -rwxrwxrwx
    The red letters control the file owner's permissions for the file
    The green letters control the file owner's group's permissions for the file
    The blue letters control the permissions for everyone else.
    r = read the file
    w = write to the file
    x = execute the file (as a program or a script)

so "rw-" would mean you could read or write but you can't execute. "r--" means you can only read. "-wx" is a weird scenario where you could write and execute but not read.

Ideally your file will look like:
    -rwxrwxrwx

but I expect it would be fine even with:
    -rw-rw-r--

......Lots of info there, hope some of it helps :D

Good info there :)

If it is a permissions thing, it's strange because the associated permissions with a file/folder on the sd card are all installation defaults - they're set up from the get go to function properly. Why that'd change isn't clear!

Don't worry though, I didn't write out all the steps in post #2 of this thread (I'm Myrddin btw, the op of this thread) in one blissful installation. There was smoke coming out of my sd card at one point from being formatted & written to so much! It's worth hanging on in there though, so don't give up :)

• Advertisement

(I'm Myrddin btw, the op of this thread)

:eek: he's back!

We missed you chief! And will keep your secret to the grave :D

Advertisement