Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pi in the Sky...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure about latency but I think there's a few folks on here who've used them or the Nes one. Here's a review of sorts (if you can tolerate the presenter):

Another question about Retropie - does it give you scan line options to make the games tolerable on hdtv?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Another question about Retropie - does it give you scan line options to make the games tolerable on hdtv?

Yes, if you use retroarch for all the emulators then it will use the shaders to emulate a CRT. There is a selection of different shaders installed but some of them are terrible..
    I find the default one ok for most stuff but for some reason looks awful on vertical mame games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just subscribe to floob trust me.

Favourites fork of emulation station: (also has a kid and kiosk mode)

Overlays and scan lines with a simple script:

All the bits n bobs have dispatched, fingers crossed I might see them by the wkend. Looking forward to messing about with it now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Scanlines

You can just use Floobs tool, which is the easy way, but here's what it's doing in the background if you fancy doing it the manual way just so your understand things.

1) When in-game, press select + x (whatever you assign select and x to in your initial controller setup...it might not be a button labelled as x on the joypad!). This opens the RGUI menu.
    2) Scroll down to Online Updater, and confirm that selection (button R on my controller)
    3) Then scroll down to Update GLSL Shaders, and again confirm that.
    4) This downloads/updates the shader files.
    5) Then exit the game, and go into the Retropie Menu from the start screen.
    6) Select Configuration Editor from the menu
    7) Select Configure Basic Libretro Emulator Options
    8) Select either Configure All, or choose the individual emulator you want to configure. In this case I've chosen FBA (as it's way better than Mame on the Pi I find).
    9) Set Video Smoothing to 'False' (seems to be the general consensus, though it's down to individual preference on what you think looks best reall).
    10) Set Video Shader Enable to True
    11) Choose the specific shader file you like, in this case I think crt-pie-curvature-vertical looks the best on my current tv
    12) With all those options set, exit back to the main menu by 'cancelling' your way back out.
    13) Start up the game, and it will load your chosen shader file.
    14) To browse through the rest of them, press and hold Select on your controller, and use 'm' and 'n' on a keyboard to flick between the different shader files.
    15) If you find you like a different one & wish that to be the default one, simply choose that one for step 11 above.

My tv is a 720p/1080i set (ancient plasma), so I think that's skewing up the scanlines for me slightly. Even at though, they make the games look way better than the raw image you'll see without them (think pixelated mess). Some/certain games don't play nice with certain shaders though...the one I chose above looks very well for arcade games...but for something like Sonic 1, it looks awful when the screen is moving. You need to play around and find the best one for each case I think.

IMG_20160901_173620.jpg

IMG_20160901_173643.jpg

IMG_20160901_173712.jpg

IMG_20160901_173830.jpg

Nice one thanks. That looks decent enough.

I watched some of that Video Manager App video above (will go back and watch it all when I get all the gear) and it looks good. Does it also change the aspect ratio to 4:3 when he's displaying that retro tv border? 4:3 would look best rather than it getting stretched full screen?

Nice one thanks. That looks decent enough.

I watched some of that Video Manager App video above (will go back and watch it all when I get all the gear) and it looks good. Does it also change the aspect ratio to 4:3 when he's displaying that retro tv border? 4:3 would look best rather than it getting stretched full screen?

Afaik the emulators handle the aspect ratio, and any overlay (the old style tv) he puts in merely fills the black bars at the sides of a 4:3 image on a 16:9 panel. I haven't messed around with overlays yet, the scanlines I showed above are shaders. When I get a new tv I'll look into setting up the handhelds with overlays, so the gameboy roms play on the image of a gameboy on screen etc - handheld roms on a large panel look horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just an note, if anyone else is thinking of this, the western digital store sent me a 20% off code I'm happy to share if someone wants it?

Got my Pi this morning!

Any chance I could get that WD pi discount code ? Want to order the pj hard drive and enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

TinCool wrote: »
    Any chance I could get that WD pi discount code ? Want to order the pj hard drive and enclosure.

I'll PM this to you now.

Finding the scraping process for the games very slow in Retropie, Like Myriddin, I've full rom sets and with my calculations it'll take 3 days to get through all of SNES games alone.

On the bright side, that appears to be my only issue and everything else is awesome, thanks for the setup!

• Advertisement

Finding the scraping process for the games very slow in Retropie, Like Myriddin, I've full rom sets and with my calculations it'll take 3 days to get through all of SNES games alone.

On the bright side, that appears to be my only issue and everything else is awesome, thanks for the setup!

I'm actually on this part now myself, and from what I'm reading, we shouldn't bother with the built in scraper. There's an external one which is much better, see here

I'm going to sftp into the Pi now shortly and delete the existing metadata, and then try the external scraper instead. The built in scraper saves its metadata in /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists apparently, so delete anything there & use the external one instead - https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/3hmhmd/removing_the_scraped_artwork_and_metadata/

Edit - the path for my scraped data is - /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/downloaded_images (not the one above in the home/pi directory)

Where are my scraped images and metadata saved?

Once your games have been scraped they will be located in two parts: Downloaded Images and Gamelists

/home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images
    or
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/downloaded_images

and

/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists
    or
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/scraper

^^ for existing scraped metadata that you want to delete

Gonna try that now myself!

EDIT: That link in your last post shows that it should be easier to install the scraper than the youtube vid? just going through the menu? Am I reading this right?

So once you delete the images from /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/downloaded_images and gamelists.xml files from /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists - make sure you press the start button, go to other settings, and turn "save metadata on exit" to OFF. Then reboot. If you don't do this, the old metadata will just be re-written to a newly generated xml file. Once you've rebooted, turn "save metadata on exit" back to ON.

Side note, metadata greatly slows down the shutdown/restart procedures. When you have everything scraped, & have everything the way you like it, I'd suggest leaving "save metadata on exit" at OFF, to improve the shutdown/restart times.

EDIT: That link in your last post shows that it should be easier to install the scraper than the youtube vid? just going through the menu? Am I reading this right?

Yup, just SSH in and do it the way the link says...I'm doing it currently & it's installing away.

Wayyyyyyyy faster, Def recommend that method

Yup, all systems done in ten mins or so. Think I'll switch off metadata saving on exit now, to sort out the shutdown time (takes a bloody age with everything scraped)

I'll PM this to you now.

Cheers mate. Will give it a go

Got the Pi3 and gamepad in the post yesterday so decided to do the first few steps while waiting on the WD stuff to arrive.

Got up to step 9 on your list Myrddin. Retropie 4.0.2 booting up fine.

Was also watching a Youtube tutorial video and it mentioned the overscan option to get rid of the black borders so I enabled that. Borders are gone but I can't see all of the text on the main Retropie screen - Menu, Select and Choose aren't fully visible.

So I turned off the overscan and rebooted, the bootup screen looks ok but once it gets back into the main Retropie screen it's still cutting off the text. Anyone have any issue with this and getting it back to before? I can live with black borders if this is the alternative.

It could be a bug Andrew, have a look here - https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/82/overscan-issue

It seems the overscan=1 is commented out (there's a # before the line in the config file, which sets that line as a line to be ignored). You might have to manually edit it like the user did down near the end of that link

• Advertisement

I had edited the config.txt to turn off overscan (disable_overscan=1) but that made no difference. I got too impatient and formatted the micro SD and have started again. :pac:

Cheers for the link though.

As an aside - is it possible to edit the config.txt while the Pi is running? Using nano or something? I turned off the pi, popped the sd card back in the pc and edited the file that way but that's awful time consuming.

I had edited the config.txt to turn off overscan (disable_overscan=1) but that made no difference. I got too impatient and formatted the micro SD and have started again. :pac:

Cheers for the link though.

Did that a few times myself tbh.
    As an aside - is it possible to edit the config.txt while the Pi is running? Using nano or something? I turned off the pi, popped the sd card back in the pc and edited the file that way but that's awful time consuming.

Yup, sudo nano *filename should open the file for editing, just be sure to ctrl-o, enter, ctrl-x to save & exit...then sudo reboot for the changes to take effect :)

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yup, sudo nano *filename should open the file for editing, just be sure to ctrl-o, enter, ctrl-x to save & exit...then sudo reboot for the changes to take effect :)

Cheers. Reflashing did the trick, back to the black borders so can live with them for the time being. Initial impressions on that Snes 8bitdo controller are great, decent build on it. Really like those purple button colours too and the fact X and Y are concave (I can feel o1s1n shaking his head in disagreement :D).

Anyway, back to step 9 of 51 so going to leave it for tonight.

I had a read of that scrapper link you posted above and noticed this note:
    This will also only work if your roms are located in the local roms folder and not on an external device.

Seeing as it worked for you I'm assuming that the Pidrive isn't classed as external - probably because of all that mounting lark you went through?

Have you gotten to play anything yet even as a test - runs good on the pi3?

I had a read of that scrapper link you posted above and noticed this note:

Seeing as it worked for you I'm assuming that the Pidrive isn't classed as external - probably because of all that mounting lark you went through?

It's because I symlinked the roms folder on the sd card, to the roms folder on the hdd drive (so when you ftp into the Pi, and double click into the roms folder, it automatically brings you to the hdd - so the system doesn't know any different). If you don't do it this way, you've to edit paths etc for each individual emulator, and it's way messier. Symlinking is the perfect solution :)

Played and tested a good few systems yeah, everything from Atari 2600 right up to CPS3 stuff...everything has run perfectly for me so far

My younger kids are very disappointing and not impressed with the 16-bit era games I grew up with. I was awfully disheartened until my wife and her brother came in and spent a good bit last night reliving their memories on the Master System and Megadrive :) Victory!

So the WD stuff arrived during lunch - PiDrive, PiDrive cable kit (includes power adapter) and the 6x6 enclosure.

The enclosure is very neat, just over an inch tall with the cables feeding out one side - effectively the back, so I won't see them.

jMmLimR.jpg

PiDrive is tiny, SSD sized. The USB data cable between pidrive and the pi itself is very tight but not so bad connections are getting bent about etc. You have to push that cable in to slide the case top over it.

oWhTwUD.jpg

There is space to feed more cables including ethernet out the back although I'll go wireless when set up properly:

9rCAExb.jpg

AvcPYb8.jpg

Size comparisons:

O7DHkjb.jpg

5BR0i2O.jpg

Overall it looks like a very neat solution that will just look like a small box under the tv so happy with it. :)

Hopefully I'll get some time tonight to get back to setting it all up.

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's because I symlinked the roms folder on the sd card, to the roms folder on the hdd drive

I just got a Pi 3 Model B myself on Friday. I have retropie working and sorted sound going through the HDMI cable. Could you do the same with a share off of your local network ? It'd save me the purchase of the WD solution.

I've only set up a handful of mame roms to begin with < 10. When I go to system shutdown through the emulation station menu's the display turns off after a few seconds but the power to the Pi is still there. Is this because I'm running a small fan that came with the case I got ? Is there such a thing as a usb power cable that attaches to the Pi itself and subsequently to your usb power cable so I don't have to keep unplugging/plugging directly from the Pi ?

Overall, very impressed with retropie. Prior to this I had a small form factor PC running windows with emulation station on it. It was clunky in comparison.

I just got a Pi 3 Model B myself on Friday. I have retropie working and sorted sound going through the HDMI cable. Could you do the same with a share off of your local network ? It'd save me the purchase of the WD solution.

You could in theory, Once you mount the folder you intend to share you should be able to symlink to it. You won't be able to symlink to it unless the folder is mounted though as it needs that shared piece of address in order to do the symlink.
    A little more info here
    I've only set up a handful of mame roms to begin with < 10. When I go to system shutdown through the emulation station menu's the display turns off after a few seconds but the power to the Pi is still there. Is this because I'm running a small fan that came with the case I got ? Is there such a thing as a usb power cable that attaches to the Pi itself and subsequently to your usb power cable so I don't have to keep unplugging/plugging directly from the Pi ?

Overall, very impressed with retropie. Prior to this I had a small form factor PC running windows with emulation station on it. It was clunky in comparison.

Regarding the power, I was looking into this also but it appears to be the expected way to power up and down the pi. I plug it out from the wall for now to try and save the connectors on the cables but I'd love a more useful solution if anyone comes across one :)

Regarding the power, I was looking into this also but it appears to be the expected way to power up and down the pi. I plug it out from the wall for now to try and save the connectors on the cables but I'd love a more useful solution if anyone comes across one :)

I was wondering about that also - is there a better way to power on the Pi other than flicking a switch on a wall or power adapter, by pressing a button on a controller or keyboard etc.

• Advertisement

There's a thing you can buy called a power block, that sits on the GPIO pins & allows you to wire up an on/off switch. I doubt there'd be room for it though in the 6x6 enclosure, I'm not too sure really.

I think The Last Bandit wired up some kind of gubbin to power his Pi-powered Retron 5 too...so he might know more on the topic

Advertisement