Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pi in the Sky...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just a bump.

Anyone any recommendations on where to pick up a nice nes or snes case made for the pi 3?
    Seems to be very limited in selection, just usual clear or coloured cases. Google Searches bring up the same kinda naff looking nes case. Anyone found a nice looking case yet?

It's not something I need TBH but would look pretty sweet!

Could always gut one of those Nes Mini things when they come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

o1s1n wrote: »
    Could always gut one of those Nes Mini things when they come out?

I could, but that would be a bit of an expensive case lol.

I wonder, when people get the dimensions of the nes mini, will they make new pi cases via 3d printers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A lot of 3D printable cases out there at the moment, some good some crappy.

http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?sort=popular&q=Raspberry+Pi+3+NES&type=things

bb1544c467cae425bc151621b494f680_preview_featured.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Maybe it's the picture but the build quality on that one Steve looks a bit poor. Some of it looks like it's made from plasticine?!

Is the end product of a 3D print hard plastic or does it depend on the raw materials? Curious how durable it would be. I've not been keeping up to date with all that lark. :o

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Maybe it's the picture but the build quality on that one Steve looks a bit poor. Some of it looks like it's made from plasticine?!

Is the end product of a 3D print hard plastic or does it depend on the raw materials? Curious how durable it would be. I've not been keeping up to date with all that lark. :o

Thats not my print, its one from the guy who designed the model. It's a decent case, just his printer is sh1t (and he used cheapo plastic) :)

There are so many types of material now to print with its crazy. I'm just testing out a few new one's this evening myself, Steel based (plastic and steel powder mix), Cork (cork wood and plastic), and a new flexi strong material.
    There's a lot happening at the moment in 3D printing, way too much to bore everyone with on this forum anyway :)

Edit:
    And not forgetting my current fav material, coffee based plastic. It smells like caramel coffee when printing and is made from coffee waste material.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cool. And does it use a laser or something to fuse/solidify the material together?

Cool. And does it use a laser or something to fuse/solidify the material together?

Some printers user lasers to solidify resin in a tank, but most melt the plastic and extrude it in layers.

Few links to my rarely updated 3d printing site that might show how it works :)

Sample prints
    http://www.thingsin3d.com/sample-prints/

Vids:
    http://www.thingsin3d.com/video/

gEAEJ_.gif

3D-Printing-Basics.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

So I'm running the barebones kit with a 64Gig SD card, few issues with some of the emulators but most work ok.
    Biggest challenge I have is finding the best way to display it, my 46" TV just makes a joke of the pixelation. I had thought about buying the 10" waveshare monitor with HDMI input but they've come back to me saying its not compatible with retropie and emulationstation.

Anyone here have an easy solution for the output?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I bought all the Kit as per this thread

but work has taken over, so can't make it

am going to add it all on Adverts.

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's been work by individuals on what seemed 'not possible', just a few months ago, thanks to a rather dubious and infamous Kickstarter campaign.

Printing using daylight resins , a LED light and a Raspberry Pi. Ionel Ciobanuc's work in particular is head melting.

---

More than ever, I want to cludge together a retro system inside a NES cartridge, using a Pi Zero.. after the cost of the NES Mini, extending leads, extra controller, that's close to, if not, the guts of a hundred euro, which I don't think is good value, as good and dinky as it looks..

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    If anyone wants to go this route, here's what's involved in setting it all up software wise, and getting the whole thing working.
    10) Connect the PiDrive to a pc & format with NTFS (quick format)

Setting all this up and have the pi working..

How do you connect the PiDrive to the PC, do you have an adapter ?

DT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Setting all this up and have the pi working..

How do you connect the PiDrive to the PC, do you have an adapter ?

DT

It connects via the included USB cable (one end to the hdd, one end to the pc, & power it via the power supply for the Pi).

Inviere wrote: »
    It connects via the included USB cable (one end to the hdd, one end to the pc, & power it via the power supply for the Pi).

doh !!!! should have seen that.

Thanks

me again lads...

So , it seems when I powered up the Pi, installed Raspbian (Noobs)

I followed all the instructions (bar 1st couple as assumed with Noobs was ok), but when got to line 37 - realised I had not installed Retropie.

Looking for best way out of this ?

DT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just download the Retropie image and use that instead of trying to manually install it.

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Just download the Retropie image and use that instead of trying to manually install it.

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Yep, start afresh, format the noobs card, & install the retropie image as per instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You're best off sticking to the steps as missing a single line will probably cause heartache :)

thanks chaps...

Will do it later

think I'll give up lads

Have retropie install and a couple of controllers but when setting up the HDD

sda2 is my NTFS disk,
    when get to line 22- sudo nano /etc/fstab

I dont see any # marks before which to enter the text

think I'll give up lads

Have retropie install and a couple of controllers but when setting up the HDD

sda2 is my NTFS disk,
    when get to line 22- sudo nano /etc/fstab

I dont see any # marks before which to enter the text

Can you put what you see here?

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Can you put what you see here?

this is what fstab shows me
    Screen%20Shot%202017-01-09%20at%2022.50.15_zpsmokhgh93.png

this is what fstab shows me
    Screen%20Shot%202017-01-09%20at%2022.50.15_zpsmokhgh93.png

Ah gotcha, it should be fine to throw on the bottom there. The ##'s are just comments in the file, they don't affect the functionality :)

(sorry about the delay)

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ah gotcha, it should be fine to throw on the bottom there. The ##'s are just comments in the file, they don't affect the functionality :)

(sorry about the delay)

Super, I thought I may have been missing something else.

I am replacing sda1 with sda2 throughout which I assume is right (sda2 in my NTFS HDD)

Super, I thought I may have been missing something else.

I am replacing sda1 with sda2 throughout which I assume is right (sda2 in my NTFS HDD)

Yep, exactly. You're on the right track (and the home stretch!)

so..think everything is OK, going to move some roms later

Each time i boot up, i have to configure the joy-pad. should this happen?

I assumed that it stored the config somewhere and would not need to do it every time.

DT

I had a question about 8bitdo controllers, maybe someone could point me in the correct direction. I have 3, one is the arcade stick that I want to use with Neo-Geo games. How in the mother of god do I connect it correctly to retropie via Bluetooth? Its driving me nuts. I've had the same problem with the fc30 pro and the original nes controller with retropie. They work fine on PC. I've watched EVERYTHING on YouTube and read everything online but nothing sticks. ETA Prime helped a little bit to be fair.

Anyone any advice? Thanks :)

What exactly is the problem you're having ? I've setup my SFC30 and once correctly configured has been working fine.

Each time i boot up, i have to configure the joy-pad. should this happen?

I assumed that it stored the config somewhere and would not need to do it every time.

DT

No that's not right, it should be saved & stored somewhere. Are you connecting the controller up AFTER the unit has booted by any chance?

What exactly is the problem you're having ? I've setup my SFC30 and once correctly configured has been working fine.

The stick connects to the pi but I can't configure the buttons or stick. Comes up as keyboard when I'm trying to input it. And doesn't work when I go into Neo-Geo.

• Advertisement

From memory this is what I done based on very recent RetroPie install.

1. Get the PI online, either wifi or wired
    2. Run the retropie-setup script, select configure bluetooth
    3. Watch the console carefully, if it downloads and installs new packages then reboot and start again
    4. "Register and Connect to Bluetooth device"
    It should list the available devices here, select your one and follow the prompts
    5. "Display registered...."
    If 8Bitdo is not listed then registered failed. Power cycle the controller and try to register it again. I turn on the controller in 'mode 1' i.e. pressing 'Start' only.
    6. "udev rules for 8Bitdo" option and reboot
    7. Start 'Emulationstation' and follow onscreen prompts to configure the new controller

At this point the controller should be working fine for emulation station. But this is where is gets messy - the emulationstation and retroarch configs are complete different...

All the connected joysticks are devices listed under /dev/input, so you should have at least /dev/input/js0

If you run the command "jstest /dev/input/js0 --event" (if jstest is not installed then run, sudo apt-get install joystick)

This will show something like this
    linux_jstest.png

With each button press make a note the corresponding number reported (Button X on the controller may be 4 for instance). Now armed with the list of buttons go and edit the /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/8Bitdo....cfg file
    Replace the numbers in this file with your preferred ones for each button and it should work now. I think there is script to do this but don't know the name of it..

Starting the 8Bitdo arcade stick by just press home should bring it up as a joystick not a keyboard according to their manual.

Advertisement