Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Every now and again, I tune into the lunchtime show in the hope of an interesting chat.

Today:

People worried about animal welfare on I'm a celebrity.....j wept

Andrea wondering what your favourite sweet is in the box of celebrations, as apparently the woke melts want to get rid of the Bounty, probably causing issues with their mental health...

And the age old, accent debate. Apparently Andrea is from Donegal don't ya know......

Tomorrow I expect her to have an intellectual debate on the difficulty in understanding Best before dates.....If Guantanamo bay was still in operation they'd be after a recording of this show

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is just a general question there is a relationship slot on Moncreiff - with a camp gay fella (name escapes me) and Biddy from Glenroe answering issues. First question was from a woman mad for the riding. Not horses.

I was just wondering do the two of them have any qualifications to give advice?

As from Mary McEvoy’s (Biddy’s) wiki page I only found out she has a licence to drive a tractor.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ciara really has some obsession with Terry Prone, she manages to shoe horn her name into every moronic thing she can. The other morning she out of nowhere added Terry to the list of people that should be on an Irish celebrity get me out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They love running with the same topic during the day, yesterday the topic was bounty bars all day. Also when they want to discuss restaurants they only use the owner of a certain restaurant in Merrion row.On again yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ha I haven't listened to Moncrieff since Foley came back, but that slot could be hilarious at times when they were swiping at each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Brilliant guerrila marketing ny Mars Inc, I have to say. Flippin' Bounty bars discussed on Breakfast Show, Andrea Gilligan, Kieran Cuddihy. It's indicative of a very small production resource at the station.

That one from Hugo's restaurant is a right pain in the hole. "Entitled" doesn't even close to describing her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Tom Dunne the only show I switch over to now on Newstalk. He's always excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'd put money on the fact that the charming Mrs Prone and her son Anton, are now part of a certain talent management agency. If you thought about it in that way, it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

I listened to Anton Savage's interview with Fr Sheehy on The Hard Shoulder Nov 2nd., I could not believe my ears... I thought that anton did a great job.. I'd say that priest is not near well in the head

Worth listening to..

https://www.newstalk.com/news/fr-sean-sheehy-why-would-i-apologise-for-the-truth-1398208?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3u0PE9AcHCohc6Ildd57O8RTDKK91UTOE86RYuciBJNqBX1Lm9h1_0yVw#Echobox=1667412712

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Cliona Foley should not be allowed on the paper review, she constantly speaks over the other contributors. She’s so rude, drives me batty. I happen to enjoy the sports paper review on a Sunday, not when she’s on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Joe Molloy is the most square man on radio. He literally cannot take any form of joke/ribbing. It's as if he is in fear of his life when someone starts cracking a joke about him.

The guy is only repeating what the Catholic Church believes in though. The only difference is he did not try and couch those views in cuddly condescending meaningless language. Which is what the Catholic church has belatedly copped on to. So such comments from the Priest in question set that strategy back a bit.

Was it ‘Dad Rock’ he started with on radio? I actually think Dunne is a better presenter than singer, good radio voice, easygoing, knowledgeable/informative on music.

I think her forte is print medium makes some interesting points/insights. But any time I have heard her on air she reminds me of ‘that woman’ at the staff meeting who shouts over the rest, for fear her opinion is not heard. Always in an agitating manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgy foxhunting guy on way, furious texts incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'm always fascinated listening to hunters trying to justify their so called sport.

Bit like SF trying to justify bombing and killing people.

tbh I don't mind hunting for food so much, if it's not endangered and expertly shot and they don't see it coming.

Saying it's the same as meat eating, no-one dresses up, chases and tortures a cow for kicks and just leaves it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Harsh. He's an excellent broadcaster and is quite witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Where did I criticize him as a broadcaster? He is clearly a talented broadcaster. However he cannot handle people cracking jokes about him it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I've heard him joke and be a bit self deprecating the odd time which helps balance that out a small bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Agreed. Ruins the paper review yet again. She cuts across someone else's contribution countless times, to add pretty much the same point as the other person was trying to say. It's headwrecking to listen to.

Alternatively you could turn it on its head and say those vehemently against fox hunting are afraid of the natural animalistic aspect of nature.

Now I have no dog in the fight - pardon the pun - fox hunting does not really bother me either way.

But I do see both arguments. I heard the on air conversation.And I imagined the callers backgrounds. When I think of the very anti fox hunters I think - Dublin, Urban, possibly vegan.

When I think fox hunters, I think rural people into equestrianism, and are closer to the circle of life and death than the Urban dwellers.

They understand the need for animal population control. From the fox hunters perspective (I have/had) country relatives who partake or park took in it. They see as a social event, a day out, and practical. Their goal is not to ‘torture’ animals. Ironically, they really love animals. Many dogs, cats chicken, geese etc. When the old childhood pony finally died, and it was buried in a field

They have a real sense of nature that ‘a dub’ like myself does not have. You might find them feeding a sick lamb one week in the kitchen, and going to an an attbatoir another time. That is the dichotomy. The last time I was down there I was given a big goose's egg which was still warm from the goose.

My elderly father for instance has told stories of how they used to drown cats, when the litter was too big. They also had a shotgun which on occasion was used to shoot dogs/horses. Other things such as making a football out of pigs bladder, stuff like that were told to me- practical

On one occasion down in that farm, I saw one of the dogs following a little chick around the kitchen, and not even any threat to it, the dog was ‘minding it’ believe it or not. Regular occurance apparently.

Everything is practical in rural Ireland. Different world, close to nature. I remember when I saw a dead cow (from natural causes) with the arse literally falling out of it. I never saw the like as young 'Dub‘. There is more acceptance of life and death down the country..

Even when it comes to human death, down the country they have the wake and open casket in the house. Two dogs loyally under the open casket of my uncle a few years ago, in his hand was a copy of a horse racing program. Oh and the windows were left open to let his spirit out. But what was clear to me was animals were even key in the end of human life. And animals revolved around my uncle (who was the farmer) even in death as in life.

In rural Ireland there is a realistic practical closeness to life/nature/spiritually - that Dublin jackeens like myself never really ‘get’ or have lost. But to say fox hunters don't love animals and are out to 'torture' is a misunderstanding of the complexity of rural life.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭TheBMG

you can cull an animal population without making a sport out of it. Making a sport out of it isn’t ’practical’, it’s sociopathic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Regina Doherty is on Newstalk so frequently that she's surely a squatter at this stage.

I need you need to look up the definition of sociopathic, because what I have just described on my previous post is not sociopathic, but of different lifestyles, backgrounds, and culture norms. Hyperbolic statements such as yours above do nothing to try and get others on your side. It just seems myopic.

Anyway, Moncrieff said something unintentionally funny today. However it was subtle.

The first discussion was people commenting on women being pregnant, Moncrieff wondered aloud if there was a male equivalent. 'What about people commenting on males 'massive big erections'? There was much hilarity, and very quickly he moved on to the next topic. New interviewee.

The interviewee was Dr Marie Treasa Ni C. The discussion was about women no longer having to wear white underwear at Wimbledon. Basically because of female menstruation. The interview finished, it was grand.

But Sean clumsily signed off on the topic with , 'That was Dr Maire Treasa Ni C., Dr. is one of the many strings to her massive bow' Moncrieff then said, 'I made a mess of that analogy, but you know what I mean'.

Now, having heard the two topics in quick succession. I think I knew what happened, his mind was still firmly stuck on 'massive erections' and then somehow he managed to move to the expression 'massive bow'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

They said opposition to fox hunting is as high in rural areas as it is in urban areas.

If we were to take their argument that they are simply culling excess population, why not strip the unnecessary playing dress-up, chasing and digging 'theatre' out of it? Simple answer is it wouldn't be as exciting for the participants.

If you are a landowner and not 'into it', you wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of strangers coming in uninvited trouncing your fences, frightening your stock and potentially carrying disease from farm to farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Kieran Cuddihy interviewing Alison Spittle and Kerry Katona yesterday about their new podcast 😧

Who or what in Gods's name made the decisions that something like this was necessary???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement