Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And more free advertising for Ballymaloe, I see herself and Angela both had children in the family with drug issues....

In fairness they're probably struggling to find a good news story amid wall to wall death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The interview with Amber Barrett on Pat Kenny was just heartbreaking. I was half asleep listening to it, but screaming for him to just finish it, leave her in peace.

Listened to a Lady guest who acts as a advisor to the restaurant industry here. The public can help by accepting higher prices being charged. This woman sounded a lot more like a champion for the management of eating establishments, not really caring for the waitresses or cooks in such places.

But that's Newstalk's agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Newstalk and Off The Ball in particular have been to the fore in trying to get fair and equal coverage for women's sports in recent years.

I wonder will they have any criticism for the style of play of the women's team later or will they just hop on the bandwagon like everyone else. Remember these are the same lads who will say Ireland (mens team) never played any proper football until the current messiah became manager.

Given their previous on such matters, how will they report on the ill advised celebrations?

Will we see the fair and equal treatment they have been calling for?

• Advertisement

Here's the trick, do all the silly shite you like, just don't record and upload it. It's that simple.

Do we have to call this 'toxic femininity' now??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I think we all know the answer, I watched the game and was rooting for them but my god, some of the football was brutal, especially the shots and heading in the box. But of course that will be put down to nerves,

Have to say that the long throw ins were brilliant, and the goalie for saving a penalty and great save near the end could have got player of the match

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

All good points, personally I like the womens team style of play very effective. Could end up over performing as a consequence.

As for the ‘controversy’ it will be interesting how it is covered. It puts many ‘Orish’ flag wavers in awkward positions. Especially a certain government in waiting.

For some players such statements/songs are just joining in with the crowd.

For others (more sinisterly) they are proud of such statements aka David Cullinane TD et all.

I wonder would we ever find out which girl started the chant? What is her background? And does she understand the sensitivity and significance of it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Can't imagine there will be any criticism. OTB right behind the ladies and Sky involved as sponsors of the show and the team. The nine month build up to the finals by the woke media brigade will test patience to the limit. Nice junket for the hacks down under next summer though.

There was a discussion about the girls ‘up the ra’ chant on ‘the hard shoulder’. The narrative had a tense air of sadness/uneasiness.

And it seems that the contributors couched it because of ignorance of youth and a ‘collective amnesia’ of the troubles.

But I thought have they already forgotten about Lyra McKee?

Collin Parry was on and I believe he called such a chant infantile and unhelpful, as it causes the alternative side to react and before you know it becomes tit for tat and tension grows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

On OTB tonight, Kenny feels sorry for the girls having to answer questions on the matter.

The other lad - not Joe - is sorry that is has taken away from the story of the girls qualifying. It was only a bit of messing.

Joe tried to play devil's advocate to a certain extent. Says he is very uncomfortable with it.

In terms of fairness and equality, I guess OTB would have the exact same reaction if the mens team were videod singing an IRA song in the dressing room after a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭leath_dub

What's with the main presenter's banter with the sport's presenter every morning? I don't want to hear Ciara Kelly, Shane Coleman (or John Duggan, for that matter) give their opinoin on the Irish rugby team, ManUnied or the Dubs. This never happens woth the weather or news bulletins. Fixtures , news and results only, please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭avfc1874

They're only having the bants,,🥱 they're doing the same thing as Matt cooper on his show, which i hate, it's the reason I turned both of them off,

That and the pretend arguing with Coleman and Kelly, text in who you agree with at a cost of 30 cent,. Pair of woke cnuts

Patrick Keilty on there speaking eloquently about NI issues.

I was thinking it is a sad state of affairs when a comedian talks more sense about NI than the vast majority of the politicians involved.

Kielty is more than qualified to talk about the 6 countries. His father was murdered by the UFF yet not ahimt of bitterness.. A very articulate commentator and more than just a comedian

Discussing Climate Change and China

Texter into Moncreiff: ‘We should be out in China Protesting!!’

Moncreiff: ‘Protesting in China does not go very well….’

A better commentator than a comedian, some would say.

Is Newstalk on 106.0 fm dropping out a lot this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm getting huge dropouts - there was one just now that must have been nearly 10 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yes. Getting to be unlistenable with all the drop outs at this stage!

Think it had reached that stage before the dropouts tbf 🤣

Extended opening hours next, stand by for pearl clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RINO87

Left Andrea on after Pat by mistake "Text us in how you make your perfect cup of tea." Christ.

Over to Ronan....

Post edited by RINO87 on

It's unbelievable, isn't it?

After last weeks discussion on Air Fryers vs Slow Cookers she's raising bland to sn art form

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Post edited by Ol' Donie on

People who have CD's.

Isn't that mad Ted?

Text us if you have CDs at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Thank God for Tom Dunne. Best thing on Newstalk by a country mile

Unusual stuff on Moncreiff a psychologist basically calling stuff unnecessary guff. In this case it was ‘couples therapy for friends’. I think the psychologist was American. The shocking part for me was normally the Americans he finds are off the wall heads. Nice change of pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Host Anton Savage to Regina Doherty: "regina regina will you stop talking"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement