Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

See again no productivity if it annoys you that much that Coleman is using bits of Irish, email him educate the man. As for praising other presenters Callan seems to be the only example you use, you rip the piss out of the rest, gan stad!

Would you prefer if no Irish was used and just leave it to aos dána?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Once again a completely selective reply ignoring large amounts of what I said.

I really only comment on Tubs and Duffy - are they worth defending in your eyes along with Coleman who you yourself described as a smug git.

Would I prefer if no Irish was used over what Coleman is using? Yes! That's the whole point! Terrible isn't it to want to hear the language spoken correctly by paid broadcasters on a National station? FFS.

Do you hear me criticizing the Nuacht on D'Arcy? Haver I ever criticized RnaG for their use of the language? No. As I said yesterday (and previously) there's a big difference between a fella trying his best to speak the language casually (which I'm all for and supportive of btw), and someone speaking it incorrectly on the National airwaves.

Shane Coleman has as much Irish as I have, and that’s a very poor reflection of my education.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'll simply say this, Coleman is a Tit, hardly objective (politically connected), not a very useful Tool and is only matched in terms of Nauseating, smugness & unpleasantness by his ghastly Co Presenter. I could care less if he speak Swazi he's an Eejit & complete Amadán, so to speak

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyone know what prompted the texts about concerts that were unexpectedly moving on Lunchtime Live today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This is the “crux” of it. Protectionism from the Gaelgorí mafia, the Gaelscoil types, not the ones from the actual Gaeltacht.

The language is dying and this sort of thinking is what’s killing it. How dare someone on a radio station attempt to speak Irish when he’s not getting it perfectly right.

As bad as the ones keeping Gaeltacht “natives” from building on their own land. We will get to watch as the Gaeltachtí get smaller and exposure to the language dwindles but at least the Gaelige mullahs can cluck their tongues at anyone not spraying the room when pronouncing a certain focal.

Protect the language into oblivion.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Lots of assumptions there.

Just because I'm fluent doesn't mean I'm from the Gaeltacht - I'm not, and have never lived in a Gaeltacht area. I'm also not part of the language mafia.

And as I've repeatedly said and which you collectively seem to ignore - I would have no issue with him (or anyone) speaking incorrect English in a casual setting off air, but I do have an issue with it being spoken on air by a paid broadcaster on the national airwaves.

Or can you really not see the difference in those two scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Terry Prone on the hard shoulder. She must be approaching Mammy O'Roue levels of exposure at this stage !

Oh, I’d already assumed you weren’t a native speaker. They, generally, tend to be more open to attempts at conversation. Some even appreciate it.

Can you not see how people listening in might be emboldened to “give it a go” after hearing someone, who’s admitted to not having perfect Irish, do the same?

I, myself, think it’s great that he decided to keep it on after Seachtain na Gaelige.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Twice in a week I wonder whats going on...... ahhh yes the IMRO awards are coming up on October 7th, ive no doubt she has some pull on them after the worshipping at her feet that's been going on this week

• Advertisement

You don’t have to be from the Gaeltacht to be a native speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Can you stop beating around the bush, and tell us how you really feel 😁

I think he's a totally woke knob as well

Nice to hear John Duggan saying he wasn’t going to report on the LIV golf. Always felt it was hypocritical giving out about players “taking the silver” but then covering the events.

If they’ve no issue with the “sport washing” then, by all means, report on it but don’t be saying how bad it is, laying into the players who jump ship, then reporting on it every hour like it’s just another tournament.

Its rare id think Ciara kelly had done a good job but she nailed that Donegal TD who was giving out about the cement levy

So he came out with saying any levy will just be passed onto customers and she asked why? His response was because thats what happens and she asked have developers no responsibility to take a small hit like this on their own profits and his response was "well this is how its always done so no....."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm willing to bet that this TD didn't mention mica, never mind pyrite.

I used to like Kieran Cuddihy but he's getting really repetitive and annoying of late. He tends to repeat words and phrases he makes up or thinks are cool i.e. "cold hard cash" "winging its way into your account" (he NEVER changes it up!) and another favourite "bailiwick".

I like the English language and have been around it a long time but never heard the word "bailiwick" before. He uses it over and over and over again, when talking to politicians especially but now its even "winging" its way into his everyday monologue.

Always makes me think of Jersey. Bailiwick, that is.

Yup and when Ciara did he blamed the government and not the developers for the scandals

• Advertisement

If you like the English language I wouldn’t listen to Joe Duffy then….or do if you’d like to hear some shall we say “unique” pronunciations and turns of phrase….so to speak.

I’m not a fan of Kelly’s but if she did ask those questions then fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Banning outdoor heaters, on the fence on this.

On one hand I dislike the preaching out of Coleman and Stuart, but surely they could be used more efficiently, ie not blasting hot air on empty or half empty beer gardens. I dont know how a ban could be implemented, we are great at making up new laws but terrible at enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Just caught the end of this discussion this morning. I got the impression Duncan Doughnut was starting to lose his temper a little bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Terry Prone cancelling witches now... anything for airtime...bit of an oul witch herself.

She was on about this before, a year or two ago. Had a pro-witch person on saying how they were empowering etc, Terry didn’t agree.

Didn’t think it was a serious piece or that it would become an annual “crusade”.

Nah its just IMRO season so they are worshiping Terry as she has ridiculous influence in Irish media

I never understand why she’s on to give her opinions on things like the budget.

And then there was the time when she had been on one week and was on the next to discuss the fact that she had no memory of that day, or morning, she’d been on. That was it. She got a medical checkup and was fine so it wasn’t like a public service type bit.

She honestly got airtime once to complain that she couldn't find an electrician to help redo some wiring in her new kitchen.....

• Advertisement

On the 7:30ish sports news this morning I wasn't sure if Shane Coleman was going to climax or cry such was his hyperbole talking about the Women's Soccer Team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement