Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

But there is no balance to the reporting? Hillary gets a free pass. The Clinton Foundation makes Paul Kelly look like a saint. Earning hundreds of millions in public office is obscene in any country.

it doesn't have to be balanced,it's not an Irish election.Plus Trump is a gift that just keeps giving.All of Hilary's stuff is complicated,boring and been done to death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

kneemos wrote: »
    But there is no balance to the reporting? Hillary gets a free pass. The Clinton Foundation makes Paul Kelly look like a saint. Earning hundreds of millions in public office is obscene in any country.

it doesn't have to be balanced,it's not an Irish election.Plus Trump is a gift that just keeps giving.All of Hilary's stuff is complicated,boring and been done to death.

So journalists only have to be balanced if it relates to local politics? Sorry but I find that ridiculous

I am 50/50 on the election. If I was American I'd probably vote Trump but Hillary is probably a safer pair of hands for the rest of the world.

It is sad that such a great country has offered the electorate such a poor choice of candidates.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So journalists only have to be balanced if it relates to local politics? Sorry but I find that ridiculous

I am 50/50 on the election. If I was American I'd probably vote Trump but Hillary is probably a safer pair of hands for the rest of the world.

It is sad that such a great country has offered the electorate such a poor choice of candidates.

Why on Earth would you vote for Trump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When it comes to the BAI, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why on Earth would you vote for Trump?

Politicians the world over spout on about crap that have no intention of doing/cannot do when they get elected. Why should Trump be any different.

Do we seriuosly believe everything they say? It's called pandering.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

More Music wrote: »
    Politicians the world over spout on about crap that have no intention of doing/cannot do when they get elected. Why should Trump be any different.

So people should vote for someone who's misogynistic, homophobic and racist because 'sure he's only pandering'?

I know full well he wont get many of his policies passed nor will he even attempt them, but it doesn't excuse the man he is.

Saying Mexicans are bringing in drugs and raping their women isn't 'pandering', it's outright racist.

Even still, what qualities are there to Trump that make him a good President? I know Hillary's not a saint, but it really is choosing the lesser of two evils in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

More Music wrote: »

Sure you might as well flip a coin in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this moncrieff finishing early is a pain in the hole. there's 30 mins where i have to listen to Chris Donoghue before i can switch back to Today fm.
    it's either that, fergal d'arcy, or ray d'arcy.

will probably just work in silence for those 30 mins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

this moncrieff finishing early is a pain in the hole. there's 30 mins where i have to listen to Chris Donoghue before i can switch back to Today fm.
    it's either that, fergal d'arcy, or ray d'arcy.

will probably just work in silence for those 30 mins now.

Wait, what?

I thought Moncrieff startedhalf an hour later.

Has it lost a bit at 4 o'clock too??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wait, what?

I thought Moncrieff startedhalf an hour later.

Has it lost a bit at 4 o'clock too??

yep. only 2 to 4 now.
    things to do this evening now on at 3.50!

• Advertisement

yep. only 2 to 4 now.
    things to do this evening now on at 3.50!

I swear to jesus.

If they touch movies & booze...

This is stupid. Stupid.The drive time shows (all of which are already super uninteresting) go on for long enough.

God, I cannot honestly believe anyone, anywhere thinks Chris Donoghue is better at any radio broadcasting than Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ol' Donie wrote: »

This is stupid. Stupid.The drive time shows (all of which are already super uninteresting) go on for long enough.

God, I cannot honestly believe anyone, anywhere thinks Chris Donoghue is better at any radio broadcasting than Sean.

Presumably the idea is to steal a march on the other evening drivetime shows, catching primary teachers and others who finish work a bit early. Like it or not, for a station like Newstalk, breakfast/lunch/tea drivetime shows are where the listeners and money are...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

So it seems this OTB joining them after 6.30 is only for 10 seconds at the end, what was the point of even mentioning it in the press release?

For f*cksake they made it seem like a bigger deal than it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

Perhaps working an hour less a day suits him? :)

3 hours felt too long some days but this drive show is even worse than I anticipated.

I never thought I'd want to hear more Chris Donoghue but his co host seems to lead about 70% of the show and she is dire.

Has a really droll delivery that would more suited to Drivetime on Radio One.

Is it her first time as a broadcaster? She needs to lighten up a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

The desperation to impress in their presentation is both pathetic and pitiful....chris signs off with a "thank you, thank you so much to all our listeners and our production team for all their hard work"....would ye f**k off with yourself, have some dignity and take some pride in your work, uncle tom like to his listenership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

What on earth do you mean by "Left-wing fare"? It's the most right-wing rubbish. Between the likes of George Hook and Pat Kenny, Sean Moncrieff has had his time cut, and he had the only stimulating daytime show.

When is Tom Dunne on now?

I was talking about the Drive show. I think that was clear.

Hook is only right-wing in so far as he likes to be a bit controversial. After that he's middle of the road. Pat Kenny is dead centre all day long, especially if he has to have an opinion, unless he wants to justifiably attack some non-sensical action or opinion.

McInerney and Donoghue set out their stall yesterday with an attempted hatchet job on a Trump supporter. Same old crap. If it doesn't fit in with the approved worldview, attack it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The desperation to impress in their presentation is both pathetic and pitiful....chris signs off with a "thank you, thank you so much to all our listeners and our production team for all their hard work"....would ye f**k off with yourself, have some dignity and take some pride in your work, uncle tom like to his listenership.

Most, if not all, news shows do this. I don't see the problem.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Perhaps working an hour less a day suits him? :)

3 hours felt too long some days but this drive show is even worse than I anticipated.

Now it's entirely plausible that Sean requested it, but if having an hour cut to make way for G Hook talking sh1te and a fairly bland (so far) Drivetime show was forced on him, it doesn't say a whole lot about the decision making process at the station and that's before we get to the mindf*ck that is the new Breakfast show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Drivetime is a mess.It needs an old hand to take control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Drive was a mess yesterday. The politician section just won't work cause the two of them don't have the balls or guts to stand up to the politicians and they are just shown disrespect. They need someone like Ivan or even Pat Kenny who will call them on their waffle and bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This new schedule is 2 days old. 2 days.
    I know they'd have done off air shows over the last few weeks but going live is different.

I'm listening to breakfast show now and think it's fine.

Can't understand the venomous negativity on some posts here.

So, High Noon is literally just The Right Hook during the day?

Hmm. Yeah, I'm okay with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

This new schedule is 2 days old. 2 days.
    I know they'd have done off air shows over the last few weeks but going live is different.

I'm listening to breakfast show now and think it's fine.

Can't understand the venomous negativity on some posts here.

The new show may be only 3 days old but Newstalk aren't broadcasting in a vacuum, listeners have other options and will vote with their ears in minutes . How many weeks is it since Ivan went off the air and we had a conveyor belt of a dozen breakfast presenters filling the void all across the summer? Irish listeners more than anything are habitual, especially in the morning. Familiarity is the watchword here, as is credibility, Rte are the state broadcaster, regardless of their many flaws they have credibility and familiarity in spades, 400k listeners for Morning Ireland doesn't lie.

Communicorp were up against it trying to compete with Montrose's heavy hitters but garnered decent success with Chris and Ivan, at 150k? listeners, but given the enormous investment by Newstalk, this would have been the least they'd have hoped for. While Chris came across as lightweight and juvenile at times and Ivan cringingly trying to be his boorish elder sidekick, for the most part it worked, not least because of Ivans background in business and politics.

However not to adopt a new breakfast format immediately was delusional. To then eventually replace Chris and Ivan in September with essentially a committee of presenters is daft, it reminds me of the American morning TV shows with a multitude of presenters all sitting around talking over each other.

As for the personnel, Paul Williams is a hack and has shown little interest in anything other than gangland crime, for him to cut his radio teeth on a national radio station, on its anchor show is utter folly. Alan Quinlan is a similar proposition, who should never have be let near a microphone. He may be a former rugby Pro but as an analyst he is awful. Compare is delivery, enthusiasm, tone and his analytical incite with that of Shaggy and you'll see just how dull and depressing his input is. The fact that he's delivering the sports news when you have experienced sports journalists is crazy and will no doubt be one of the rocks on which this new format will perish.

If you're going to tackle Morning Ireland you need stability, consistency, credibility and authority, the current format and personnel should have hit the ground running, they didn't and the format suggests they will lose the station even more listeners that have been lost since Ivans departure.

Matt Cooper should have been given the breakfast show in my opinion, if he didn't want it, he should have been given enough money to change his mind.

Just heard an ad for the afternoon show.

Movie review, Henry McKean and all the sport with Off The Ball.

So, bits of other shows, hosted by Chris Donoghue.

As said above, it's unfair not to give it a chance to find it's feet.

But as a non radio show designer this makes no sense to me at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Clutterfree88

I am a Newstalk listener throughout the day from breakfast through to Off the Ball, I'm disappointed with the new schedule (so far) even though the schedule has been everywhere and back since Ivan left.

I was a big Ivan Yates fan however he has left (for the moment) and they must move on, I've always been interested in radio from a listeners point of view but who in the world thought Paul Williams was a breakfast show presenter, he was awful on Monday and God help us he's back tomorrow, he should have been thrown overboard during their test shows whilst Sarah McInerney was a good panellist she's not a presenter either. I always rated Shane Coleman as a presenter and easily listened to at whatever time he'd turn up however could they have not have left Chris and himself on breakfast along with Colette Fitzpatrick? George Hook's High Noon is awful and I was a Right Hook fan along with the added insult of curbing Moncrieff who is the best thing on Newstalk. I'm not sure who the PD is but hope that they will tweak the changes required following feedback from the loyal listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Now it's entirely plausible that Sean requested it, but if having an hour cut to make way for G Hook talking sh1te and a fairly bland (so far) Drivetime show was forced on him, it doesn't say a whole lot about the decision making process at the station and that's before we get to the mindf*ck that is the new Breakfast show.

Where's Sean today? Two days into the "new" schedule, and Tom Dunne is standing in!

delaad wrote: »
    Where's Sean today?

Don't ask me, I haven't been talking to him!

Where's Sean today? Two days into the "new" schedule, and Tom Dunne is standing in!

I figured all the shuffling around over the past few months was so they could all get the holidays in so they'd be ready for the new schedule?

Might be sick, I sppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mutiny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Did I miss parenting or is farming on ahead of it now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement