Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

At the risk of annoying everybody: what is the best/cheapest place to buy the game this year? I'm only eligible for 10% off the direct purchase from Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

At the risk of annoying everybody: what is the best/cheapest place to buy the game this year? I'm only eligible for 10% off the direct purchase from Steam.

FMScout is approx €38
    Amazon approx €36 (but hard copy only... I think... so maybe postage costs on top)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Finished now with my Beta save.

Leagues Loaded: Belgian Pro League A, English Premier + Championship, France Ligue 1+2, German 1st+2nd Division, Holland Eredvisie, Italy Serie A+B, Portuguese Premier, Scottish Premiership and Spanish 1st+2nd Division

Started with Everton, trying a 4 4 2 formation, Got fired at the start of 2nd Jan 17 in mid table

On the 24th April 17 took over at Wigan in the Championship with 2 games to play and in a relegation battle, when with my ultra defensive 3412, 3cd, 2wb+2dm, 1am & 2 sc and managed to get 1 point from 6 to survive.

At the end of May/start of June the club was subject to a takeover and i was hit with a transfer embargo. 2/3 days before the start of the transfer window the club is taken over, chairman told me he wood consider my position and get back to me, but the embargo would remain in place. on the 7th July 17 he fired me. (they got relegated this season ha).

On the 11th Jan 18 I took over Sheffield Utd who were bottom of the Championship and 10 point off the next place. Loaned in a few player to make my Formation I used with Wigan work here. Managed to pull back the gap but finished 1 point off and got relegated. Because i don't have League 1 loaded they sacked me.

So Fired 3 times and relegated once, my reputation is ruined, was getting interviews but no offers.

On the 13th Dec 18 I was appointed managed of newly promoted MK Dons, yet another relegation battle. Put my 3412 defensive into effect again. Did the job with 2 game to play we were safe but managed to slip back from 19th to 21st over the last 2 games.

So Summer 2019, My 1st proper transfer window!

Decided the time was right to add a balanced 32(wb)212 Formation to the team as i felt the defensive tactic works. The only difference between the two is the DM's are pushed up to MC. Added a few players to the squad ready to attack the new season.

While we were avoiding relegation, I felt thing just were not going right and we should be preforming better than what we should have been. We were only a few points ahead of the relegation battle.

In January the media linked me to the vacant position at Ipswich, who were just below mid table, as i felt things could go belly-up at MK Dons in apply for the position.

On the 23th Jan 2020 I got the Ipswich job and left the Dons. As I had only 6 months with the 32212 (balance) Formation with MK Dons, I said Id give it an other go. Finished the Season more or less in the same Position 15th. (Don got Relegated)

During the Summer I saw with the Ipswich job will be hard to sign decent players because of the debt the club had place a small wage budget. but did the best I could. Using the 32212 formation again I just could not get it to work and we were under performing sitting around the low end of mid table.

By xmas the board were starting to get annoyed that we were under performing. In the new year i saw the Hull job was available, with a wage budget of 25mill/year compaired to our 7 + were only 1 place above us and felt if i continued with the 32212 I would get fired from Ipswich. So I applied for the Job.

In the few weeks in Jan I figured I could not get the tactic to work, and set about coming up with a new one for the club. Settled on giving the Xmas Tree formation(4321) a go with either 3DMs or 3MCs + 2AM & 1SC.

On 17th of Jan 2021 I took over at Hull and with the xmas tree formation in mind I examined the Squad only to find they only had 2 Right Full Backs, 1 Center Backs and 1 Left Full Back who was out on Loan(recall straight away).

Panic not long left to fill some key positions, head to the scouting window only to find that what was left of 25mill wage budget was -3.5 mill. and only 1.5 in transfer available. Crap

With us spending over 3 million too much on wage any transfer i agreed, I could not get a deal done because i could not offer them the wages they were looking for. Could not off load anyone but managed to loan out 2 player with high wages who would not be getting much game time. That brought down the wage deficit by 1.5m. But the best I could bring in was 4 Loans (1 of which was any good and 3 only of League 1 quality). This did not go down well with the board and the confidence went down thanks to this.

Been so weak at the back I would have to park the xmas tree and outside the back 4 put out the best players i had, the only formation I could go with was 4231. Thankfully we were strong everywhere but the back and we managed to out score enough teams to keep us slipping back.

But the board where not happy with the loan signings and with us staying in and around 14th. with 1 game to go i was ordered to a board meeting and had to ask what do I need to do to keep my job, answer get 10 point from next 5 games, got it reduced to 8 point from 5, but with 1 game left in the season i was not sure what would happen. We won the last game which helped and i did not get fired, again.

2021/22 Season

So during the summer I was given about 6million to spent and i released a load of dead wood to get the wage budget under control. I had to sell my GK for penneys whos contract was running out because his agent would not enter talk because he was unhappy and wanted more game time but played 46 game this season, calling bull on that.

I kept a hold of 2 of the loan players i used who improved due to the game time i gave them as back ups. Had to sell two starting players who where trying to force their way out, got 6.5m for the pair but only allowed keep 25%. Which this I now had a decent transfer and wage budget to work with and started reshaping the side.

Between Loans and Signings I brought in 11 players + the 2 I kept a hold of from last season, spending 18.75 mill. I was able to do this by offering a low amount up front and the rest spreed out over 48 months, this away a 5 million player would only take say 1m out of this years transfer budget. So was able to bring in good players. Really happy with my spending.

4231 was still my best formation as start out the season with that because of the board requiring 8 point from 5 games. With a strong squad playing 4231 we were always in the play off spots and playing well. I was using the xmas tree against weaker teams and it was working, but i could not use it all the time as my wingers we excellent and was better off using them until them got sold.

Over Xmas had a little blip and my left winger got injured for 3 months and my right winger got suspended. Fulham came in for my right winger and with the left out, I had to comment to the xmas tree.

We just dropped out of the play off spots when Bremen came in with a bit of 10 million for my star AM, not at all happy to sell him but had to. At least with that the transfer books where balanced. So in the lead up to the transfer window I was organizing a replacement for him, and on deadline day had everything agreed but instead of clicking finalize deal, i hit the "walk away" button. With no time left to get another deal done and that player no longer interested in talks, it left me 1 AM short for the xmas tree. (had a back up but that is all he was)

So I tweaked the formation and started playing with 2 strikers and 1 am in front of 3 mc and the back 4. By god this started working a treat goals where flying in a both ends, as my fullbacks are set to attack I get caught in the counter. But my 1st team squad was down to about 17 usable out field players. Lucky from the start of February to the end of April I had no long term injuries and we went on a tare up the league.

With 1 game left we have won the League. Start out with 4231 to xmas, switched to 4321 and force to go 4312 and rocked it, but had no strength in depth.

This is where I will leave the Beta, I have my tactic for the main save. The main reason i was able to get to the end of season 2021/22 was the amount of time i spent unemployed.

My main save Ill be starting out with no badges, no past playing experience and unemployed, might holiday to April.

Ill be load only the top league of each country, so their is no point in loading the major nations at the start, As I would have no hope in getting a job with a top league club. Will Add/Remove leagues as i go, but to start with it will be all lower rep divisions.

Once In a Job I cannot apply for another but if approached by another club I can leave for them. I cannot leave my contract run out unless i have won the League with the club first. And can only apply for a job if unemployed.

So far I have enjoyed the Beta, hopefully the main release will be solid

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Really enjoying this year's release also. 4 seasons in with FC United and sitting pretty in the lower half of League Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I only play Touch Version for 2016, I usually play Man Utd, Cork and Hibs (teams I support)

Then I move to team in Spain before it was Valencia now Ath Madrid. Then I play a Rochdale or Bury, and tend to like playing with Spurs and Everton.

But has anyone been afraid to continue playing game as tactic is going so well or is it just me :;?

Currently playing United. Was playing 4-2-3-1 and was 12 th around end October. The game gave me the hint about my playing style saying I was not getting best out of players. Now playing 4-4-3 and can't stop winning. Up to 2nd in February and even beat Real Madrid on first leg of Cl.

I have never won a league with United in first season and I must have about 30-40 seasons down the years and usually get knocked out early in Cl. This season is nearly going too good and so much so I have started to play Ath Madrid for season just take mind off my other save.

Ya I am a sad case :) will purchase full version game at weekend too for first time in while based on reviews here. Probably won't play much till finish my exams so I can enjoy it for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This is where I will leave the Beta, I have my tactic for the main save. The main reason i was able to get to the end of season 2021/22 was the amount of time i spent unemployed.

My main save Ill be starting out with no badges, no past playing experience and unemployed, might holiday to April.

Ill be load only the top league of each country, so their is no point in loading the major nations at the start, As I would have no hope in getting a job with a top league club. Will Add/Remove leagues as i go, but to start with it will be all lower rep divisions.

Once In a Job I cannot apply for another but if approached by another club I can leave for them. I cannot leave my contract run out unless i have won the League with the club first. And can only apply for a job if unemployed.

So far I have enjoyed the Beta, hopefully the main release will be solid

Nice story - good set of rules for yourself.

Is there any reason why you arent staying with your beta save game?

My Manager stats are as full as i could get them at the start(dont what that needs to be level up slowly), and one I get a team to the Premier League and within a 6-10 season It is likely ill start winning everything i get bore.

I get more enjoyment from building a club up but once Europe starts coming down to getting to the final/ semis regularly I get bored.

O my Britexit came before season 2021/22, Max 17 non-british and i think there was a min of 6/8 British in the squad

think the beta is over, had a patch there and the report bug button is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ok guys managed to get my first daft of revised LOI structure ready of FM 17,

If anyone wants to give it a whirl it can be got here

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=792996008

Please all feedback welcome, good and terrible

revised LOI structure?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    revised LOI structure?

Yeah its an expanded prem and first division, along with regionalised 3-4 tier. Season runs on a winter league as opposed to summer league,it seems to cut a lot of fixture issues

There is a issue with the 5th tier at to moment, trying to fix it. Currently can't manage there but its runs fine, so nice to look at

Thats interesting. Fair play for setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I started with Cork last night, But I will restart tonight with this patch

Thats interesting. Fair play for setting it up.

can make the 5th tier managable without changing the structure tho, it worked last year but now it is just greyed out:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

CDKeys seems to be out of stock at the moment, but it's around -40% off at Instant-Gaming. They are pretty much the same, fast delivery and reliable

Otherwise Green Man Gaming have it at 22% off

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

It's on kinguin.net for 32 euro. That site always has good deals on, many bargains to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Think I'll have to pick this up and give it a lash. I didn't get FM16, as I just had an unbelievable amount of fun with FM15.

That save I talked about a bit back then kept me hooked and I just skipped 16. But I think I'll grab 17, although I'm going to miss my United behemoth I built. I think a nice time to put it aside though, as Memphis Depay has retired now, having brought him to be recognised as one of the best player in the games history, eight balon do'rs, over 450 league goals with 10 league titles and 9 champion leagues.

Also think this year I'll not use a premade tactic and just go it 100% solo. FM started getting a bit much for me back in like the 14 version, so I went off getting pre-made tactics and training and just focus on squad building and playing. I still play CM01/02 with the modern databases because I like that simplicity. But I think I'll go full hog at it this time round and see what happens.

Was going to buy Civ, but ****it, FM wins every day of the week

Brave man starting out with your own set of tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Woo hoo ordered new laptop and going to pick this up. Haven't played since FM14. Roll on weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Brave man starting out with your own set of tactics.

I thought it was like "cheating" how I just always loaded premade tactics? Granted I was using the same one for iterations, I just was never arsed going through all that meticulous stuff

*although first foray into FM-Base and the guy who's tactics I'm using for years, I see has a FM17 tactic...oh god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Any body got any links to any of the tactics ye are using? I tried to start using my own tactics but have failed miserably, have also failed using premade tactics. Has anybody found any good ones?

In beta I was using the gamebreaker tactic by the Reckonist and it worked well, started a game there with the full release and it is still quite a good tactic, need to get it fluid and get some better players

http://www.fmscout.com/a-fm17-tactic-4312-gamebreaker.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was using the Watford tactics on FM Scout but it was hit and miss. Total possession domination but chance conversion can be pathetic.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I was using the Watford tactics on FM Scout but it was hit and miss. Total possession domination but chance conversion can be pathetic.

I've noticed that too, I was playing in the EA Sports Cup last night against Cork City and basically peppered their goal/defence with 10 shots, they go back up the pitch one shot, one on target, one goal :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Whats the point in using pre-made tactics? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

threein99 wrote: »

Same I make mine every year.

Play with attacking mindframe

I play with a ball winning midfielder and a box to box midfielder

Then 2 inside forwords one on the right and the left. Then a advanced playmaker in my number 10. The inside forwords get 20+ goals a season while the playmaker won't get many goals but will set up a stupid number as well.

Then up front I play a target man. Last season after 54 games 42 goals crazy good rate of goals.

Have a 70% win rate with that with Lupa Roma after 5 seasons.

Only issue is you will let goals in but you will get 3 + goals a game easy but as long as you win I am happy ha.

threein99 wrote: »

I've always used them, its for those of us that dont have time to be tinkering with tactics and some people are good at them and upload their successful tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Have a few days off coming up next few days so going to pick this up, any suggestions who to start with?
    Was thinking maybe Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

I don't really see the fun in using pre-made tactics either. I find it much more rewarding to create something myself and get a team playing how I want them to play.

Even with a downloaded tactic, surely you would still need to make changes to the roles, instructions, etc to suit the players in your squad anyway.

Besides, isn't there classic mode or some simplified version for those who don't want to put the time in to that side of the game?

• Advertisement

Advertisement