Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Paladonia wrote: »
    I don't really see the fun in using pre-made tactics either. I find it much more rewarding to create something myself and get a team playing how I want them to play.

Even with a downloaded tactic, surely you would still need to make changes to the roles, instructions, etc to suit the players in your squad anyway.

Besides, isn't there classic mode or some simplified version for those who don't want to put the time in to that side of the game?

It's like whole argument with Genie Scout or FMRTE, some people dont use it, others use it. Some people want some success, it's up to you how you play it.

I find it very rewarding using downloaded tactics especially when you win the CL with a LOI team.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The fun in it for me is transfers and financial related. Not so much the tactics.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The fun in it for me is transfers and financial related. Not so much the tactics.

And obviously the winning, setting new records, getting your club to be the best and biggest in the world and getting your name on the stadium :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

threein99 wrote: »
    Whats the point in using pre-made tactics? :confused:

As FM evolved I found it getting a bit to complex for me and I couldn't work it out.

The game engine changed from being purely about the players to being much more linked to tactics, which wasn't always the case through the Champo manager days.

When I first came into Football Manager and where it had this intricate tactics,training etc. methods, I found I was actually getting smacked around. It felt just frustrating and totally unrealistic. so I went venturing to forums to see what the story was, and there was people who had worked it out.

Just got into the habbit of using them every year.

I think the real reward for me is building mental teams and the older CM style of just manage your squad through a season playing games.

It never feels like you can just set a 4-3-3 and go, you need to spend hours setting up training regimes and then individual instructions and movement patterns or your superstar team can take beatings by Sunderland and Co.

Like as much as I will try pickup an obscure team and try bring them up the leagues etc., most iterations my main save is playing United and building an empire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mc Love wrote: »

The temptation to peek at a wonderkids list would be too much :D

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    The temptation to peek at a wonderkids list would be too much :D

That's just the 5 sleeper teams to start with :) I'm with Limerick so cant exactly sign any of those wonderkids

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lot more in depth now to last time I bought it in 12. I got handheld last year and while enjoyable I wanted try full version.

Started off with Atletico Madrid. 2 seasons gone, two 4th place finishes, but won Cl in 2nd season beating Barca in final with Greizman getting belter to win it

I play 4-3-3 with DM.

Defensive or Structured, Flexible, slow tempo, narrow width, stay in feet,be more disiplined, work into box, Pass to Space are the tactics.

If anyone is doing better please feel free to share. Have exams coming up so wont get play lot more till before xmas but hope least get couple more seasons done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mars Bar wrote: »

Yeah, same for me. My favourite bits are the transfer windows and team building, and I have hated the last two years of the game that I can never last at a club longer than two years, so never get to see my kids grow up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lets make Football Manager great again.

NoPxlmS.jpg
    Alright, listen up. We have to scout in China. They have great players. We have to go there, and scout. In China. But, they're not as good as our players. Ours are the best. We're better than China. We have to get homegrown players. From our soil. Our players have to be tutored here. Locally. It's even better than scouting in Chyna

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

On the verge of getting sacked from Villa :mad: just last year I was the bomb promoted through play offs, won fa cup and now just cause Im on bottom of the league having lost all 6 of my games they want me gone.
    Ingrates :mad:

Gone :(
    Now I hate Liverpool even more

• Advertisement

After getting sacked by Villa I moved onto Bradford who were in second in league 1 and got them promoted. Had a great start to the season and was 7th when Blackburn job came up, who could say no to a team at the bottom of the championship with 4.5 mill to spend :D:cool:

Finished the season with Blackburn got promoted through play offs. **** you Villa and your 8th :pac: not that I care, I never liked you anyways :P
    Liverpool got relegated and its always a job I want in FM, never actually got them before so when they offered it to me I couldnt say no. Time to build the team to bring the Pool back to the top :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Kal El wrote: »
    Finished the season with Blackburn got promoted through play offs. **** you Villa and your 8th :pac: not that I care, I never liked you anyways :P
    Liverpool got relegated and its always a job I want in FM, never actually got them before so when they offered it to me I couldnt say no. Time to build the team to bring the Pool back to the top :D

What year in the game did that happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Lads,

Anyone have any success with a downloaded tactic they can recommend, as previously mentioned, i dont have the time or patience to tweak everything manually!!

threein99 wrote: »
    What year in the game did that happen ?

3rd season :D
    I sold all the players, Im bringing the passion back :D

Salmon wrote: »
    Lads,

Anyone have any success with a downloaded tactic they can recommend, as previously mentioned, i dont have the time or patience to tweak everything manually!!

FM Base has a few good ones buddy. Ive been using two different ones depends on situation

4 1 3 2 final is the name of the tactic I use and love it

Salmon wrote: »
    Lads,

I'ved used a few, and I'm not sure whether its due to the my low stats as a manager or the players I have but nothing is really taking the game by storm.

Saw they moved the 2022 WC to Morocco over protests for the Qatar WC - nice touch SI!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The World Cup got moved to Canada in my game!

Morocco isnt any better than Qatar, tbh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Trying to start a game with Dundalk but the players are starting completely unfamiliar with tactics of any kind - it's as if they've never played football before. I had previously set up a test save just to see how the players were rated compared to last year and could have sworn they started fairly familiar with my tactic since it's how Dundalk play in real life.

Am I doing something wrong, is it a glitch or is this just how it starts in the new game? As it is I'm looking at entering the season with players who haven't a clue of our tactic no matter how I set up.

Trying to start a game with Dundalk but the players are starting completely unfamiliar with tactics of any kind - it's as if they've never played football before. I had previously set up a test save just to see how the players were rated compared to last year and could have sworn they started fairly familiar with my tactic since it's how Dundalk play in real life.

Am I doing something wrong, is it a glitch or is this just how it starts in the new game? As it is I'm looking at entering the season with players who haven't a clue of our tactic no matter how I set up.

Welcome to the new football manager. Maybe if your manager stats are higher the easier it is. I found the beta much easier than the full game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Welcome to the new football manager. Maybe if your manager stats are higher the easier it is. I found the beta much easier than the full game

Just noticed that there's no stats for the 2015 LOI season, looks like all the players took a year off. Kind of annoying when the game is telling me Ronan Finn just made his debut despite being a key player in a double winning team. Is this a common problem in the game? Don't recall it happening last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lot more in depth now to last time I bought it in 12. I got handheld last year and while enjoyable I wanted try full version.

Started off with Atletico Madrid. 2 seasons gone, two 4th place finishes, but won Cl in 2nd season beating Barca in final with Greizman getting belter to win it

I play 4-3-3 with DM.

Defensive or Structured, Flexible, slow tempo, narrow width, stay in feet,be more disiplined, work into box, Pass to Space are the tactics.

If anyone is doing better please feel free to share. Have exams coming up so wont get play lot more till before xmas but hope least get couple more seasons done.

3rd in season 3, with QF in CL.

I'm starting to like the January window now too when you can approach players to sign that are having their contracts expire in 6 months. Got Honda and Strootman previous 2 seasons on a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I've found difficulty about right so far... Got 3 tactics on the bounce, 1 is clearly useless so I may delete it, one is ok for grinding a draw out of tough games and then got a nice 433 (false 9 and 2 inside forwards) going which is going well enough. 4th at xmas with marseille seems right enough.

One thing that really bugs me is when you buy a player that is better than anyone else on the team, and when you look at the team report and it says that the rest of the team isnt as good anymore. Really gets me goat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

I would love to see a dynamic league price money.

As a leagues Reputation increases the prize money for the league would increases, like wise if the league decreases.

But i doubt we would see that for years

Yes it happened, I started out unemployed no experiance or past playing, got a job in India, 4 seasons in and definitely the prize money has increased over the years

It happens in the LOI too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Think I'll purchase this tonight as I'm off now for the weekend and I didn't purchase it on release day as I was enjoying my save with Blackburn rovers .

• Advertisement

I realized my football manager career is the polar opposite how I act in real life. I show no loyalty at all any time a bigger job comes I take it. I was loving Liverpool and got 250 mill in bank for first season back, then Arsenal job became available and already Im throwing flirty looks at them :o

Advertisement