Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

4 cores. You can even see the 4 cores in that picture.

Now 8 cores can.

If I understood correctly from the AMD presentation, the main benefit is not that the cores "work together", but that each core has access to the whole L3 cache, whereas before, a core could only access the cache inside the CCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

JoyPad wrote: »
    If I understood correctly from the AMD presentation, the main benefit is not that the cores "work together", but that each core has access to the whole L3 cache, whereas before, a core could only access the cache inside the CCD.

In an 8 core CCX there was a split of 16mb L3 between 4 cores and 16mb between the other 4.

For a core from section 1 to talk to a core from section 2 it had to send a request to the IO die and then they a reply.

Now all 8 can use all 32mb of L3 cahce and not have to use the IO to communicate within CCX's.

IO still needed for communication between cores in different CCX's but this is faster thanks to the new Infinity Fabric changes.

A good example of this principle in action is the difference between the 3100 and the 3300x.
    the 3100 has 4 cores split between 2 CCX's, the 3300x has all 4 cores on the same CCX.

Besides that the hardware is literally identicle (out of box clocks are slightly different, but that's a choice AMD made for unknown reasons, both will overclock to identical clock speeds and use the same silicon), but the 3300x is still significantly faster because it's all one 1 ccx using 1 bundle of 16LB L3 instead of 2 budles of 8mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zen3 threadripper is going to be intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My Scan order showing as awaiting dispatch on their website now. Hopefully that means its going out in the first wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

I just ordered a 5600x from Amazon.com, "Price: EUR 258.13 + EUR 69.09 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit"

Not arriving till 1st week in December,
    Should I cancel and hope for a UK based seller?

• Advertisement

thats a gross surcharge

Overheal wrote: »
    thats a gross surcharge

He's buying from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

thats a gross surcharge

It's the calculated VAT and Import Duty, if it's less they refund you if it's more you don't get charged. And if it bypasses customs altogether somehow you get refunded the entire amount.

Well? should i cancel? I dont mind the wait as i gotta save for a graphics card to suit.
    Its going into this new build I put together last month, Im so amazed at its performance over the old machine that im gonna upgrade more!!!
    [IMG][/img]50450814008_f5f5c1ed99_c.jpgScreenshot_2020-10-11 Your Orders by mech1139, on Flickr

Mech1 wrote: »
    Well? should i cancel? I dont mind the wait as i gotta save for a graphics card to suit.

I would wait I expect there will be more before the Big Navi launch and you have to wait on that anyway if you're going for Smart Access Memory uplift.

• Advertisement

i edited my post above to include the build its going into.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

.G. wrote: »
    My Scan order showing as awaiting dispatch on their website now. Hopefully that means its going out in the first wave.

What did it say was your estimated delivery date out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Its going into this new build I put together last month, Im so amazed at its performance over the old machine that im gonna upgrade more!!!

Would probably hold onto the order for now, can always cancel it if they come back in stock in the next week or two, they were £290 from Amazon UK so more or less the same price anyways

i edited my post above to include the build its going into.

Would not get a Small Navi card with Big Navi around the corner.

Get Zen 3 + RDNA2 for that Set Bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

385 pounds on Amazon.co.uk for AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor when I checked a short while ago... hesitated as seemed bit more expensive than I expected... - now 412 pounds....

Think I'll wait a while....

“Roll it back”

Would not get a Small Navi card with Big Navi around the corner.

Get Zen 3 + RDNA2 for that Set Bonus

it will deffo be a RX6000 range card, whats the pricing and what do you recommend mid to high range?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ozmo wrote: »
    385 pounds on Amazon.co.uk for AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor when I checked a short while ago... hesitated as seemed bit more expensive than I expected... - now 412 pounds....

Think I'll wait a while....

Should be 279.99 at most 289.99.

it will deffo be a RX6000 range card, whats the pricing and what do you recommend mid to high range?

Personally I'm going Ryzen 5600X + Radeon 6800

My parts i bought last month will be paired with very similar components to make a second gaming pc too sell or give to my eldest son for cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Should be 279.99 at most 289.99.

Thanks - Ill wait til the dust settles - but saw this on a Finish site...

link
    € 324.90 inc vat - so not so much a rip off as amazon...

But the note attached might be of interest to someone...

NOTE! Ryze 5000 series processors only run directly on X570 and B550 series motherboards with BIOS AGESA version 1.0.8.0 or later.
    B450 motherboards will receive Ryzen 5000 Series compatible BIOS updates no earlier than January 2021.

I would have had wait til January to get it working...

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

The reviews for it are pretty good. It's only a bit faster than i5-10600K but a) cheaper b) comes with cooler c) less power.

It wouldn't really make any sense at all to get the i5. When you factor in the cooler cost and more expensive motherboard, it'll cost a fair packet more.

ozmo wrote: »
    Thanks - Ill wait til the dust settles - but saw this on a Finish site...

link
    € 324.90 inc vat - so not so much a rip off as amazon...

But the note attached might be of interest to someone...

NOTE! Ryze 5000 series processors only run directly on X570 and B550 series motherboards with BIOS AGESA version 1.0.8.0 or later.
    B450 motherboards will receive Ryzen 5000 Series compatible BIOS updates no earlier than January 2021.

I would have had wait til January to get it working...

I paid £270 from amazon.co.uk. The one you found was probably a third party seller on Amazon.

Was gonna get a noctua cooler but since im stuck with a wraith cooler may as well give it a lash

Was gonna get a noctua cooler but since im stuck with a wraith cooler may as well give it a lash

I have a Wraith Prism on my R5 3700xt working well 65C hottest ive seen so hoping to pair it with the 5600x.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What did it say was your estimated delivery date out of curiosity?

I didn't have one. No mention of it on my order email.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

I paid £270 from amazon.co.uk. The one you found was probably a third party seller on Amazon.

I got a 5600X from a third party seller on Amazon UK when it was around £363. It was also around £12 postage. Around £100 more, and I can still cancel it, but it's saying it'll arrive around the 10th of this month.

I do wish I could've gotten it at the official price, but I have parts waiting in my apartment for the past two months waiting for Navi and Zen, so eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Theoretically have an order on a 5900x with Scan, no emails on delivery dates yet and it doesn't show in my order history but I did get the invoice and my card has been charged. I emailed their support on the history issue and they just stated the obvious, lots of orders being processed, be patient....

Mines already shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭SeanW

I paid £270 from amazon.co.uk. The one you found was probably a third party seller scalper on Amazon.
    FYP. From now on it looks like short supply and scalping is going to be the order of the day. If that is so, then the smart thing to do will be to assume that getting things at launch is going to be unlikely and to assume you'll be waiting a few weeks (more in the case of a paper launch) to get what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Theoretically have an order on a 5900x with Scan, no emails on delivery dates yet and it doesn't show in my order history but I did get the invoice and my card has been charged. I emailed their support on the history issue and they just stated the obvious, lots of orders being processed, be patient....

Similar situation here with Scan.
    Ordered 5950x.
    Checked out with Amazon pay.
    Have order number and invoice number when checkout completed but it's not showing in my order history.
    Got no email from Scan but did get email from Amazon confirming they are processing payment.
    Finished transaction at roughly 14:02.

Advertisement