Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Announcement and then launch on the 28th maybe? Shows 28th October on thumbnail for the video under RDNA2

I read that as CPU announcement on the 8th and then GPU announcement on the 28th?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I read that as CPU announcement on the 8th and then GPU announcement on the 28th?

Yeah I think you're right, looks like they're splitting the two instead of doing them at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah I think you're right, looks like they're splitting the two instead of doing them at the same time.

28th is a long time for people to hold out not buying an Nvidia 30 Series. 3070 will be out by then and imagine 3060 could be announced by then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

28th is a long time for people to hold out not buying an Nvidia 30 Series. 3070 will be out by then and imagine 3060 could be announced by then as well.

We've been waiting for Navi since 2017, so... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Those cards are't gonna make it out this year.

Announcement on the 28th Oct, release when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »
    Those cards are't gonna make it out this year.

Announcement on the 28th Oct, release when?

Are they not launch dates? A quick Google says launch dates but them websites might not know either.

Alright gonna stop being a cynical bastard and wait and see. I hope AMD do something revolutionary but I don't see it happening.

It's going to take something very special for me to consider them over Nvidia this time around after this problematic 5700.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if NVidias numbers are as good as they make out it will be hard for amd to compete
    but they are competing well against intel in cpu front

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    if NVidias numbers are as good as they make out it will be hard for amd to compete
    but they are competing well against intel in cpu front

Because intel sat on their ass and barely increased performance or core counts for around 6-7 generations.

Nvidia aren't doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The launch dates sort of line up with the idea that they'll be launching something in between the performance of the 3070 and the 3080. End of October means the benchmarks for the 3070 will be released, so they'll be able to show benchmarks that run closer to the 3080 side of things but with more VRAM than the 3070 and a lower cost than the 3080.

• Advertisement

They aren't launch dates, they are announcement dates.

We will probably get a limited run of OEM cards pre Christmas with third party in 2021.

Very late to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

After my 290 I'm never buying an AMD cooler again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    Because intel sat on their ass and barely increased performance or core counts for around 6-7 generations.

Nvidia aren't doing that.

That's not really fair to Intel.

They increased core counts over the years, they just sold them to the server and workstation market only. Desktop was the 4 core part, because 4 core chips are the sweet spot for production. And the top end parts went for big numbers. If you wanted more cores on the desktop, you could always spend 1500+ for a extreme series processor or Xeon.

Year - Server Core count - Desktop Core count
    2005 - 2
    2006 - 4 - 4
    2008 - 6 - 4
    2010 - 8 - 6
    2011 - 10 - 4
    2013 - 12 - 4
    2014 - 15 - 4
    2014 - 18 - 4
    2015 - 22 - 4
    2017 - 28 - 6(went back to 4 core)

They made increases in power efficiency and instruction sets over the tock tock tock period over the same time period.

Its widely believed that they tock'd 14nm so much, that a generational jump was worse then the current process. Which put them in a bind, since to improve the new process they needed to output worse chips then the older one. A real catch 22 situation.

Thanks for proving my point. I'm obviously not talking about the server market here.

And look how much they were charging for those smallish core server chips. And along come AMD and make 8 core 16 thread CPU's at affordable prices.

I've a feeling AMD will close the gaming gap with this new generation zen 3. But Intel will have to do something as they have been on 14nm+++++ for I don't know how long. They keep saying they are on track with 7nm now but that allusive 10nm is still only in laptops as far as I know.

Anyone else thinking an 8 core 16 thread chip on a single 8 core CCX is sounding rather tasty in terms of gaming performance?

It should improve things for sure.

A nice bump in clock speed and some IPC improvements on top should make it a fair bit better.

Looks like they might be the 5000 series.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Looks like they might be the 5000 series.

I heard something a while ago about that, it was to stop the mobile chips and desktop chips having the same series number but using different architectures. Mobile 4000 being Zen 2, desktop 4000 being Zen 3. It makes sense, always thought it was stupid the mobile chips were a step behind but had the same model numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

For someone stupid or out of the loop like me what is the CTR Project?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Clock Tuner for Ryzen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Its a tool that will undervolt and OC Ryzen chips. Seems to get good results. I did an undervolt and OC manually a while back so I'll go back to stock and see how the tool compares when he releases it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Yep, looks good. Undervolting massively changed the heat output of my system and didn't affect performance a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

*cries in Ryzen 5 1600*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

*cries in Ryzen 5 1600*

Cries in *incredible value CPU that will probably be fine with new gen GPU*

This is great gaming performance well in this game. If it holds true for all games AMD might take the gaming crown.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/145819-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-cpu-zen-3-vermeer-test-aots-leaked/?fbclid=IwAR2aII-haCphpl-6K2uLjBqG5jNhmZJFMubXAdD2-eVcD0FLJjpYKmi_Bqk

Edit: I just seen it is at 4k. But that's what I game at anyway.

Hoping for big things from the 5800X which I assume will have all cores on one CCX like the 3300 did with four cores.

• Advertisement

I just hope it works on B450.

Advertisement