Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

So anyone using a 3600 with an AIO, whats your temps like? I'm now rocking a 3600 while I wait for the 4000s but it likes to run in the 50s while idle. I say idle but its hardly ever actually "idle". From HW monitor its constantly jumping from 3.5 to 4.2 but with core utilization barely in the teens. I like a quiet PC and this is not quiet! I've had to set my CPU fans to run at 40% up to 70 degrees to keep it quiet and still its no as quiet as what I'm used to. Used to have them on 30% until 60 degrees with my 6700k and they hardly ever ramped up past that.

ran them at full whack for 5 minutes to see what would happen to the temps and the answer was not much!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Are you sure it's mounted properly?

Even with mine locked at 4.3Ghz it idles between 30-35c. Load 70c max. That's with a fairly cheap air cooler as well with low RPM settings.

Only 550 RPM idle, 1200 or so load.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Wraith Spire here and my experience is similar to G's. It will have a little spike to 50odd then settle back down to 30s. I just set the fan curves to not really kick in much before 60c. Under Realbench it hits high 70s IIRC.

Asus x570-p all stock here.

Exactly the same behaviour on my other 3600 and B450 Tomahawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is something not right there. I have a 3700X and idles around 30 degrees. And is completely silent. I have a switch hooked up to CPU cooler one way 5v and flick the switch to connect to 12v for gaming. So completely silent when browsing, watching videos and general PC use and louder while gaming but not mad loud but it would annoy you if you left it on 12v and went browsing though.

There is something not right there. I have a 3700X and idles around 30 degrees. And is completely silent. I have a switch hooked up to CPU cooler one way 5v and flick the switch to connect to 12v for gaming. So completely silent when browsing, watching videos and general PC use and louder while gaming but not mad loud but it would annoy you if you left it on 12v and went browsing though.

Can you not set a fan curve to do that automatically in the BIOS?

• Advertisement

Also, what Power Plan are you using in WIN10 settings?

Have you got the latest AMD chipset drivers installed?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Can you not set a fan curve to do that automatically in the BIOS?

I had it done to my old PC and to be honest with you I had the ramping issue also. I had it set to be silent and would ramp up every so often for just a second and back normal again and was a bit annoying. With the hard wire mod it is completely silent.

All latest drivers and chipsets installed. Ryzen balanced plan selected. I'm sure its mounted right but I'll check it again, the mounting kit was a bit fiddly and sh!te if I'm honest. Corsair H100i pro its tight to touch, doesn't move at all. I can get it quiet by adjusting the fan curve but I have to have it so it doesnt go over 40% until it hits 80c but temps are high for what I'm doing based on my old intel experience anyway.

I've been re installing all my programs tonight after the clean install of windows and with the quiet fan curve its up in the mid to high 70s. This is all with no other case fans running which is how I've always run my pc for general browsing, videos, music etc. Have only ever need to have them all running when gaming. I have all them set to run when various temps senors around the mobo and case go to certain levels but even with them all linked to the cpu it only goes down to 65 and the fans are too noisy while it does it.

Plenty of playing around here to do. It hasn't been anywhere near the 30s since I installed it thats for sure. AIO is exhausting out the top of the case which I suppose may make a difference but it didn't with the Intel! that thing barely ever hit 50 with no case fans running and barely went over 70 when game.

Min and max so far is 59 and 82, just installing programs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I had the same experience with Wraith Prism and B450 Tomahawk. You could be literally browsing folders on the desktop and it would be constantly ramping up.

I just set all fan curves to a flat value, it's slightly audible on desktop use but nothing that bothers me personally and temps are fine under stress.

My son has the same setup albeit with a different case, less case fans but they run all the time. I'll check what his does but I know it was doing the same ramping when it had the wraith on it. Haven't checked what it does with the AIO. I'll install HWinfo on his and see what temps he gets. Its very very annoying coming from absolute silence to this! Might have to try limit it to 3.5 when just doing general stuff and let it run free when gaming.

• Advertisement

Something strange going on alright. I've the same CPU along with a Dark Rock Pro 4. It idles at 30c and 55c at load. The fan ramps up slightly the odd time when idle but only for a few seconds and even then it's hardly audible.

Just noticed in HWinfo it hasn't dropped below 4ghz for the last few hours, even now its just downloading stuff and me browsing the web and its sitting above it. Core voltage hasn't gone lower than 1.269v either. So it hasn't actually been "idle" at all.

Its also showing one of my sata SSD's as a removable device. I assume that's fixable in the BIOS or something? Don't want to accidentally eject it!

I'd imagine it's some setting in your BIOS that's causing this. An auto somewhere.

Anyone go B550 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Anyone go B550 yet?

We have 1 mATX arrived already and we are waiting for 2 ITXs to come, will take a pic of the B550 household:D

I'd imagine it's some setting in your BIOS that's causing this. An auto somewhere.

Sata ports set to be hot swappable. That was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Anyone go B550 yet?

Just ordered the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F along with a Ryzen 7 3800X. Do a lot of video editing so hoping it works well. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Anyone go B550 yet?

Yeah I'm using an MSI Mortar Wifi B550 at the mo. No issues at all so far, smooth sailing.

Anyone used the Ryzen DRAM calculator for fine tuning ram speeds and timing? Gave it a go but can't get any of its timings to work with my kit and each different version of the calculator offers different timings for the same ram!

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Anyone used the Ryzen DRAM calculator for fine tuning ram speeds and timing? Gave it a go but can't get any of its timings to work with my kit and each different version of the calculator offers different timings for the same ram!

I used it. But only for running benchmarks. My XMP of 3600MHz at CL16 is enough.

My kit is 3600 CL18. There seems to be plenty of performance to be had from tweaking some kits but probably not those already at 3600. Not that I could get it to work anyway :D Fast settings wouldn't boot at all and safe crashes constantly.

All fun and games until your OS get's corrupted.

What's happening with the XT's. Released the same day as reviews?

Or is that how it is always done. I'm just mad interested the reviews of the 3800 XT for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What's happening with the XT's. Released the same day as reviews?

Or is that how it is always done. I'm just mad interested the reviews of the 3800 XT for some strange reason.

I mean, you could just check out a OC'd 3800 and get the results. All thats happened is the binning has gotten better to the point where they can release slightly faster chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

seraphimvc wrote: »
    We have 1 mATX arrived already and we are waiting for 2 ITXs to come, will take a pic of the B550 household:D

I am quite mad that they are stuck at 'Deliver the shipment at the airport' somewhere at Austria since last friday. (the order dispatched on 24-Jun)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Currently running a R5 1600 on a fairly cheap Gigabyte motherboard b350m (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf).

Gaming at 1440p with a Vega 56 and plan to push for something like a 2070 super next year but wondering if I'll need to upgrade CPU as well?

Had been hoping to upgrade on the same Mobo to a later generation once they said socket would be supported till 2020. Looking at the 3600 as a possible 'upgrade' but not sure if I should hold out and get a new Mobo and processor in the next gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Might as well go all out and get a 3700X really to be honest. Going from six core to six core wouldn't be my ideal of a solid upgrade, even though the per core speed is decently better.

But I would upgrade the GPU first for 1440P. Is it 60hz or 144hz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Homelander wrote: »
    Might as well go all out and get a 3700X really to be honest. Going from six core to six core wouldn't be my ideal of a solid upgrade, even though the per core speed is decently better.

But I would upgrade the GPU first for 1440P. Is it 60hz or 144hz?

The monitor supports 144hz yeah, picked up one of the LG Monitors that was in the bargain thread.

Would the 3700x require a Mobo upgrade?

Would a 2070s (or equivalent next gen) be a good upgrade? I've enjoyed my Vega gotten a lot of performance out of it and would maybe consider a Navi card. But I'd like to see it the grass is greener tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2070 Super should be a 40-45% performance uplift (barring CPU bottlenecks) so it's well worth it IMHO.

Advertisement