Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

, 342 gigs of hyper x 3200.

That's a lot of RAM. Probably be able to have 10 Chrome tabs open at once :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

IN CPUZ:
    DRAM Freq is 1596.8Mhz
    latency is 16 clocks.

You're good to go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

qlzgiH.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

qlzgiH.png

Looks perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

deceit wrote: »
    It would depend on what type of game, Arma for example most would be cpu bound?

It depends on the resolution and graphics settings. If you play at 1440p Ultra settings, the CPU makes little to no difference on average, even in games like Arma. Go past that and you won't find any real difference.

CPU reviews focused on gaming, benchmark primarily at 1080p for this reason. And in some ways this is questionable, its always going to favour the fastest single thread performance. But its pretty much all they have to go with.

The general rule is, if you want more FPS put your money towards a GPU.

• Advertisement

It depends on the resolution and graphics settings. If you play at 1440p Ultra settings, the CPU makes little to no difference on average, even in games like Arma. Go past that and you won't find any real difference.

CPU reviews focused on gaming, benchmark primarily at 1080p for this reason. And in some ways this is questionable, its always going to favour the fastest single thread performance. But its pretty much all they have to go with.

The general rule is, if you want more FPS put your money towards a GPU.

Yes you guys are both right to a point. When gaming at 1440p on a demanding game, the CPU is still very important, but your max FPS is usually limited by the card.
    But if you have a crap cpu, you won't hit the cut-off.
    My last cpu was an I5 tied to a 1080ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Finally bothered my a*se to go into the BIOS and set the first two fan curve points to flat, both points at 40% up to 65c where it ramps up so for normal boring everyday stuff like browsing, youtube/netflix etc the fan is stable. No more daft ramping up and down for simple sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

[url] https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf[/url]

I think I'll just get an x570 board now rather than the x470 board. Considering the above one as its not that much more in price. It'll depend on whether it's in stock or not at the end of the week.

Doesn't seem to be any other itx boards available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm about a week in with my x570 and 3700x (with a 2070 Super)

The Good:

Incredible performance compared to my old PC, can crank games all the way. Looking forward to doing some video editing to really push it.

No boot issues

The less than ideal:

It is much louder than my old PC, not sure if the stock cooler or GPU, but I would ideally like it to be a little quieter during idle. Can live with it though

The Bad:

I have had a few lockup/ slow downs and even a BSOD. I have had maybe 2 BSOD, and maybe 3 or 4 full lockups. I updated the chipset driver when I got the PC up and running, but I just updated to the latest bois available there, hopefully it makes a difference. Dont think its a temp thing, I wasnt doing anything taxxing at the the time and my idle temps seem fine (45ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

The Good:

Incredible performance compared to my old PC, can crank games all the way. Looking forward to doing some video editing to really push it.

No boot issues

The less than ideal:

It is much louder than my old PC, not sure if the stock cooler or GPU, but I would ideally like it to be a little quieter during idle. Can live with it though

The Bad:

I have had a few lockup/ slow downs and even a BSOD. I have had maybe 2 BSOD, and maybe 3 or 4 full lockups. I updated the chipset driver when I got the PC up and running, but I just updated to the latest bois available there, hopefully it makes a difference. Dont think its a temp thing, I wasnt doing anything taxxing at the the time and my idle temps seem fine (45ish)

I'd be curious if this was a fresh version of Windows which if not could be a cause of the stability issue or just an issue with the stability of Ryzen 2 at present on your system.

• Advertisement

The Good:

No boot issues

The less than ideal:

The Bad:

I have one blue screen after enabling XMP, but haven't seen any since.

I'd be curious if this was a fresh version of Windows which if not could be a cause of the stability issue or just an issue with the stability of Ryzen 2 at present on your system.

Brand new everything, fresh copy of Windows 10 home and it should be up to date.

Old system is a 2500k
    I have one blue screen after enabling XMP, but haven't seen any since.

The only thing I have changed in the Bios is the memory speed to match the sticks I have (DDR4-3200)

Brand new everything, fresh copy of Windows 10 home and it should be up to date.

Old system is a 2500k

The only thing I have changed in the Bios is the memory speed to match the sticks I have (DDR4-3200)
    If you changed it manually maybe you missed a setting or did you use docp?

If you changed it manually maybe you missed a setting or did you use docp?

I didn't use DOCP, reading up it seems like I should have!

I did now, so we'll see is it better

Old system is a 2500k

XMP should just do that automatically.

XMP should just do that automatically.
    Xmp (intel) = Docp (amd)
    Amd just being stupid and creating a new name for the same thing.
    (probably a licensing reason in fairness for the name).

Seems to be a live AMD conference:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkNzTznyKU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I've had no crashes at all... except when Ryzen master does a reboot when trying something a bit stupid.

b450 Gaming +,
    Ballistix 3200mhz ram.
    NOT a fresh install of win10 (swapped my 960 m.2 drive straight in from my previous Intel build).

I couldn't be happier with my build.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Xmp (intel) = Docp (amd)
    Amd just being stupid and creating a new name for the same thing.
    (probably a licensing reason in fairness for the name).

is that just since Zen 2 as it is xmp on my 2700x 470 board?

Skerries wrote: »
    is that just since Zen 2 as it is xmp on my 2700x 470 board?
    Nope, my x370 board calls it that. It may be manufacturer specific which manufacturers actually ignored AMD's naming convention and just called it what it is.
    Just out of curiosity what board were you using?
    My are asus crosshair hero x370 and x399 zenith extreme.
    Curious what my X570 aorus extreme will call it now once I set it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

It's XMP on my son's Msi b450 too.

Nope, my x370 board calls it that. It may be manufacturer specific which manufacturers actually ignored AMD's naming convention and just called it what it is.
    Just out of curiosity what board were you using?
    My are asus crosshair hero x370 and x399 zenith extreme.
    Curious what my X570 aorus extreme will call it now once I set it up.

I have the Elite. It's XMP in UEFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anandtech reviews the EPYC Rome: dual-socket, 64 cores
    For those with little time: at the high end with socketed x86 CPUs, AMD offers you up to 50 to 100% higher performance while offering at a 40% lower price. Unless you go for the low end server CPUs, there is no contest: AMD offers much better performance for a much lower price than Intel, with more memory channels and over 2x the number of PCIe lanes. These are also PCIe 4.0 lanes. What if you want to more than 2 TB of RAM in your dual socket server? The discount in favor of AMD just became 50%.

I'll hopefully be ordering hardware this weekend. A 3700X is the plan, the motherboard is the only question.

I'm leaning towards the x570 board, but the x470 board might very well be the easier one to get my hands on sooner. My system is ITX so my choices aren't as wide, the only ITX available is an Aorus branded one from Gigabyte.

My Home Server is powered by a Ryzen 3 2200G so I have that to flash the x470 board if need be so that's not an issue.

z0oT wrote: »
    I'll hopefully be ordering hardware this weekend. A 3700X is the plan, the motherboard is the only question.

I'm leaning towards the x570 board, but the x470 board might very well be the easier one to get my hands on sooner. My system is ITX so my choices aren't as wide, the only ITX available is an Aorus branded one from Gigabyte.

My Home Server is powered by a Ryzen 3 2200G so I have that to flash the x470 board if need be so that's not an issue.

I picked up the Aorus X570 AORUS ULTRA https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TTP87T9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It gets meh reviews on Youtube because they don't know why you'd pay more for that than the pro, but for me the thicker board, 3NVME slots and most importantly the ESS Sabre DAC + AMP is why.
    I can run my fostex t50rp mk3s pretty loud on that combination and you can't say that about most boards.

Most Youtube reviewers don't have ears apparently.

The audio aspect of motherboards is probably not what most people would prioritise though when shopping for one.

Decided it wasn't worth waiting until the weekend. I've an Aorus X570 ITX board and a 3700X on order now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Keep in mind that if you have built a totally new system it could be faulty ram. Would need to check the errors to see what info they are giving.

Was getting errors/the odd BSOD on a new system a few months ago,turned out to be one of the ram sticks.

Its made me think ill be using mem test day one for new systems from now on.

The audio aspect of motherboards is probably not what most people would prioritise though when shopping for one.

But why not have great sound as well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But why not have great sound as well?

To most people the sound on every other motherboard is good enough.

Advertisement