Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boarding school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

You can get a grant of 4k to send your child to an Irish language speaking boarding school if you live more than 3 miles away from an Irish speaking secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was round at a friend's apartment in a swanky part of town (in the UK), their neighbour puts their two kids in a local boarding school, it's about half a mile down the road from their gaff. The same school allows day attendance too.
    The wife even shops in a Waitrose located at the school gates.

Now THAT is hating your kids.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There's actually a debate about grammar schools going on in the UK at the moment which is another fairer form of selection IMHO. That's the best way to pull good pupils up.

I just can't agree that a child gets labelled at eleven and that's it as far as their educational destiny goes, eddy.

It can't be good for the confidence of a more average kid who is determined to push themselves, if they're coming from a comp or academy. It would add to the obstacles in accessing further education, both real and imagined, if a kid has already been labelled not quite good enough.

I don't think dividing kids into grammar school material and those who didn't make it on the day of the eleven plus (or however they frame the selection now) is a great idea.

Stream kids more assertively within the same school, but don't laud one group and leave the rest feeling like they didn't measure up every time they put their school on their CV.

You can get a grant of 4k to send your child to an Irish language speaking boarding school if you live more than 3 miles away from an Irish speaking secondary school.

Source? And where are those schools? If it were true, it would be a very straightforward solution to the problem of the 733 children in north Dublin city who were refused a state-funded secular gaelscoil by Richard Bruton the other day on the grounds that 332 of them came from outside the immediate catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The UK's boarding schools can be astronomical.

This is due to UK boarding schools not receiving any funding from the UK government, and as a result they have to cover all costs of running a boarding school from the fees.

Having said that, some of the fees are indeed crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 ElectroTechno

My old man went to a boarding school.

Didn't care for it very much...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Grammar schools sound great on paper and I used to be a strong believer in them, but the reality is that a very small proportion of poor pupils ended up doing well at A-level. The way social class impacts on educational performance runs deeper than the school you go to. In the postwar years when the UK had grammar schools, social mobility was much better and this could be mistaken as meaning that it was because of grammar schools, but it wasn't; the UK was a more egalitarian society in general.

I would be concerned that grammar schools would create a false impression of a "meritocratic" society that makes it easier to blame the poor for being poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I went to boarding school. Girl boarders only. But the brothers of all the girls in my school were in boarding schools in Tipperary.

So I concur with the OP's findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candie wrote: »
    I just can't agree that a child gets labelled at eleven and that's it as far as their educational destiny goes, eddy.

It can't be good for the confidence of a more average kid who is determined to push themselves, if they're coming from a comp or academy. It would add to the obstacles in accessing further education, both real and imagined, if a kid has already been labelled not quite good enough.

I don't think dividing kids into grammar school material and those who didn't make it on the day of the eleven plus (or however they frame the selection now) is a great idea.

Stream kids more assertively within the same school, but don't laud one group and leave the rest feeling like they didn't measure up every time they put their school on their CV.

Hi Candie I'm really sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didn't see it until now!

I can't accept people get labelled at an early age either Candie dependent on what school they go to but unfortunately it already happens. Many kids have their destinies largely written dependent on what school they go to. Parental income of the family you're born into oft dictates the quality of school, education and school nutrition you get.

That's fair enough but grammar schools have pulled many working class people into the education they deserve. Unless they get a scholarship into a private school bright pupils from poorer backgrounds don't get the education they deserve.

We already have selection by wealth I don't see the problem with selection by merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I remember when Fair City focused on boarding school episodes when Noeleen ,McCoy put her son Stephen in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

branie2 wrote: »
    I remember when Fair City focused on boarding school episodes when Noeleen ,McCoy put her son Stephen in one.

That's even more inane than the ****e I come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Boarding school food is the worst. Absolutely awful.

No indicative of the vast majority of Boarding schools but this is pretty seedy IMHO. The inheritance of wealth to buy unearned advantage and social networks is not something that's kosher to me. Not to mention the man they choose to meet. From the BBC.

A group of boys from Britain's prestigious
    Eton College have met Russia's President Vladimir Putin during a visit to the
    Kremlin.

The rare meeting, held in a state room, apparently lasted at least an hour,
    during which Mr Putin discussed world affairs with the 11 boys.
    One of the boys present, David Wei, said on Facebook he had sent more than
    1,000 emails to set up the meeting.

He said Mr Putin, renowned as a tough leader, had shown "his human face".
    Photos of the event were posted on social media, showing the group shaking
    hands with Mr Putin and sitting around a table listening to the Russian leader,
    wearing translation headsets.

Later, they posed for an informal group photo, apparently in an ante room,
    celebrating their success in gaining access to the Kremlin's inner sanctum.

'Sleepless nights... paranoia'

David Wei said in his Facebook post: "It took me a total of ten months, 1040
    emails, 1000 text messages, countless sleepless nights, constant paranoia during
    A2 exam season, declining academic performance...but here we are. Guys, we truly
    gave Putin a deep impression of us and he responded by showing us his human
    face."

Another of those present, Trenton Bricken, said on Facebook: "Two hour meeting with President
    Putin. He was small in person but not in presence."

The boys are said to have arranged the visit on their own initiative but
    details remain unclear.

One suggestion was that the meeting had been facilitated by Father Tikhon
    Shevkunov, a Russian Orthodox abbot said to be close to Mr Putin, who reportedly
    spoke at Eton earlier this year.

The school, which was founded in 1440 and has educated 19 British prime
    ministers, said in a statement: "This was a private visit by a small group of
    boys organised entirely at their own initiative and independently of the
    college."

The Kremlin has not commented.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

steddyeddy wrote:
    No indicative of the vast majority of Boarding schools but this is pretty seedy IMHO. The inheritance of wealth to buy unearned advantage and social networks is not something that's kosher to me. Not to mention the man they choose to meet. From the

Are you joking? That's an amazing experience. The guys one if the most important people on the planet at the moment. What exactly is the problem?

Are you joking? That's an amazing experience. The guys one if the most important people on the planet at the moment. What exactly is the problem?

My problem isn't the experience they had. Schools like Eton are an amazing experience in general. Better nutrition via dietician designed meals, smaller class sizes and the expectation that the child will do well from the teachers. Then they got access to a world leader that often snubs other world leaders. All this because the pupils were born into a wealthy family. Does this not seem decadent to you?

I actually don't mind a society with tiers but I prefer they're earned not granted by birth. Secondly why Putin? The man is a criminal by most definitions and has some qualities of a dictator. A man who rails against free speech and LGTB rights and causes a huge amount of suffering to people.

All this because the pupils were born into a wealthy family.

Whatever about your other points Eddy, I don't think you're giving credit where it's due:
    David Wei said in his Facebook post: "It took me a total of ten months, 1040 emails, 1000 text messages, countless sleepless nights, constant paranoia during A2 exam season, declining academic performance...but here we are. Guys, we truly gave Putin a deep impression of us and he responded by showing us his human
    face."

I think their meeting with Putin seems to be down to the dogged persistence and the personal resourcefulness of this kid, and little to do with the family he was born into. He deserves some personal credit for making it happen, it wasn't handed to him.

steddyeddy wrote:
    My problem isn't the experience they had. Schools like Eton are an amazing experience in general. Better nutrition via dietician designed meals, smaller class sizes and the expectation that the child will do well from the teachers. Then they got access to a world leader that often snubs other world leaders. All this because the pupils were born into a wealthy family. Does this not seem decadent to you?

You don't have a problem with the experience they had. You're annoyed that they had this experience because they are rich enough to have an experience like this?
    steddyeddy wrote:
    I actually don't mind a society with tiers but I prefer they're earned not granted by birth. Secondly why Putin? The man is a criminal by most definitions and has some qualities of a dictator. A man who rails against free speech and LGTB rights and causes a huge amount of suffering to people.

It does sound like you have a problem with this particular experience.

Personally I think it's an amazing experience. There's no reason that rich people should be asked to feel bad for having experiences they can afford, just because other people can't afford them too.

On the point of meeting Putin I'd say it was an excellent experience. It's outside the realm of normal experience so it's inside the realm of a good school trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Looking for opinion from people who have been through it , but do kids have a better or worse relationship with their parent while they attend boarding school taking into account it's the student who wants to go to distance herself / himself from time wasters and begrudgers in the class room . There are so many advantages to education in boarding school if it was affordable ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Boarding school was always used as a threat when my teenage years were getting out of hand

I went to boarding school.

And gormanstown was always the threat given to me.

kerry cow wrote: »
    Looking for opinion from people who have been through  it , but do kids have a better or worse relationship  with their parent while they attend boarding  school taking into account it's the student who wants to go to distance herself  / himself from time wasters and begrudgers  in the class room  . There are so many advantages  to education  in boarding school if it was affordable  ?
    Not being a smart arze but I think teenage years are famous for poor relationships between children and parents. So you miss out on the day to day stuff and have more time at mid-terms and summer holidays. Teenagers grow up a lot during those years anyway and boarding school makes children independent in some ways (personally and inter personally) but doesn't allow them to control things like cooking and domestic things like cleaning. 

I think it can help parent child relationships in the sense that absence makes the heart grow stronger. Family relationships famously improve when children go away to uni and its pretty much the same with boarding school. There are differences like the fact that the child is younger when they go to boarding school. That's the balance you have to strike. I imagine it's easier to keep in touch than ever before with Viber/Skype apps.

Anecdotally I can't think of any great number of people with poor relationships with their parents. I think it can change the relationship though. Boarding school cause children to grow up a bit more quickly than day school and living with parents. It can foreshorten the childish part of the parent-child relationship and usher in the adult-parent relationship.

Looking for opinion from people who have been through it , but do kids have a better or worse relationship with their parent while they attend boarding school taking into account it's the student who wants to go to distance herself / himself from time wasters and begrudgers in the class room . There are so many advantages to education in boarding school if it was affordable ?

It depends on so many factors. I went to boarding school for almost six years, and I'm very close to my family and parents. It depends on the kid, their base level of independence, their existing relationship with their parents, how engaged with the academic side of school they already are, and how much choice they have in whether they go or not.

I was a very academically minded kid, I wanted to go and I was happy in my school. All those things are crucial to whether or not your child sees it as a positive or negative experience. Not all boarding schools are great schools, and not all great schools are boarding. It's possible there's a good day school near you that will cost less - or is public - and deliver as much.

Do your research and keep your child involved in all decisions, and make it clear that if they're not happy they won't be expected to stay. Make sure they give it a decent go, but if they decide it's not for them, let them leave.

Check the facilities outside of the academics and the faculty. Things like the menus and if healthy snacks are offered between meals, the sports on offer, all the other extra-curricular like band and theatre, how much study time is expected daily, rules regarding internet use and phones, the bedrooms/dorm and sharing situation. Pay special attention to the kit required, it can really add up and you don't want him/her to be the one who doesn't have something everyone else does.

I went to school in the UK, but I'm sure those points are applicable everywhere.

My child wants to go as he has no brother and find class mates distraction .he feels that in a boarding school he will make good friend who are also high achievers , play and study in a structured manner .We have a wonderful relationship and it's me that's sad to loose him .maybe I been greedy for myself , instead of giving him a chance .I have told him to stick it for 1 year and at any time after he can leave it to come home .
    The cost is shocking and that a hurdle for me also .

My child wants to go as he has no brother and find class mates distraction .he feels that in a boarding school he will make good friend who are also high achievers , play and study in a structured manner .We have a wonderful relationship and it's me that's sad to loose him .maybe I been greedy for myself , instead of giving him a chance .I have told him to stick it for 1 year and at any time after he can leave it to come home .

If you can afford to send him to a better school then do it. The quality of school will have a major effect on how well he does. In the UK the Sutton trust in the UK help children without the resources get into private schools. There may be a corresponding body in Ireland. I recieved a grant to go to a top school for summer classes. It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Boarding school is probably much better value than the cost of childcare these days.

If he's a weekly boarder it'd be easier on you. :)

Class mates can distract you in any school. In my class most people were motivated but it's not necessarily the same in all schools and it can be a bit hit or miss finding something that suits. My older sister went to the same school before me so I had a good idea what to expect, but make sure you do your research based on not just the academics, because it's not going to be just his school, but at least part-time it's going to be his home and you want him happy, well fed, and comfortable as well as educated.

The school we are enrolled in has two classes in each year .Each class has 16 to 18 boys .It's results are in the top school in ireland year on year with 90% going to ucd ot trinity .
    They do get the results but the problem is ... me .... Will he become too independent and abandon us at home and his 3 sisters ?
    Coming from a farm it's in our dna to have our family near by .

The school we are enrolled in has two classes in each year .Each class has 16 to 18 boys .It's results are in the top school in ireland year on year with 90% going to ucd ot trinity .
    They do get the results but the problem is ... me .... Will he become too independent and abandon us at home and his 3 sisters ?

Do you not think your son will get into UCD or Trinity sans Boarding school? It might be a waste of money.

• Advertisement

I know you don't want him nearby if it won't make him happy. His life is his to lead and you want him to follow his own dreams. It doesn't mean he'll abandon you or won't be close to you if he doesn't live nearby. It has to be a free choice for it to make him happy, not because opportunities were withheld. If he does move away, it doesn't mean you won't be close or involved again.

I live a long way from my family but I talk to one or more of them every single day. I see them more often than friends of mine who live 40 miles away from their families see theirs, I still turn to them for support and advice, not just my parents and siblings but also my grandparents, and I'm still delighted every time they walk through my door or I walk through theirs. You just need to be diligent about keeping in touch, if he does move away.

Give him the wings to fly and the roots to come home to, as my gran would say.

Advertisement