Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boarding school

Options
  • 17-08-2016 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Boarding schools have been dropping like flies in recent years but Co Tipperary still seems to have an usually high amount, i wonder why this is ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

People in Tipperary hate their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Boarding schools have been dropping like flies in recent years but Co Tipperary still seems to have an usually high amount, i wonder why this is ?

If the inmates escape during term where are they going to go ?

I went to school in Dublin - day dog in a boarding and day school. We had a sister college in Tipperary to which some of my former classmates would be sent as boarders. The variety of reasons included parental break ups, domestic problems or poor academic performance. In the latter case the idea was to remove the pupil from distractions by sending them to Tipperary and that is no disrespect to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Is it to do with the length of time it takes to get there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The last social class availing of boarding schools to a great extent are wealthy farmers. Tipperary is perfectly positioned as a catchment area for them. The wealthier people in the cities can now commute to private schools but the farmers often live a considerable distance from the towns, making commuting a lot of hassle, and they value the social kudos of going to a fee paying school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

probably because that's where the buildings are?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"The best families , in decline, put a daughter in the Urseline"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does Tipperary have many? Off the top of my head I can only think of Rockwell, Roscrea and the Ursuline girls school and Pres in Thurles which also accept day pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you're sending your kids to boarding school there is probably a good reason. You probably don't like spending time with them and possibly can't stand the sight of them. It stands to reason you'd like to send them as far away as possible. And everyone knows it's a long way to Tipperary.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

stimpson wrote: »
    And everyone knows it's a long way to Tipperary.

Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Boarding school was always used as a threat when my teenage years were getting out of hand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

A few of my friends went to boarding schools, it was the norm in wealthy rural families back in the 1980s.

I went to the local tech. I used to imagine boarding school was like "Mallory Towers" or "St Clairs" as described in the Enid Blyton books I loved as a kid.

My romanticised imaginings were very far from the reality though. Cold miserable dormitories, sh1te food (in sparse quantities), strict disciplinary procedures, (or abuse :( )especially in the boys schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

There are still some around. I went to one. I didn't have much choice in the matter as it was a tradition going back in the family.

My cousin's daughter goes to the same one now that she went to. That one is much more liberal than the school I went to but they all end up sounding like Rachel Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My brother went to boarding school and hated every second of it. He was always a fairly quiet and withdrawn chap and the parents thought it might make him more outgoing. It backfired badly. I think a lot depends on the personality of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Mrs CML went to a certain school,as a day pupil, which also had boarders.

The boarding school girls were so badly fed that they got Red Cross parcels every Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

"But it's for the child's education". Bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    I went to school in Dublin - day dog in a boarding and day school. We had a sister college in Tipperary to which some of my former classmates would be sent as boarders. The variety of reasons included parental break ups, domestic problems or poor academic performance. In the latter case the idea was to remove the pupil from distractions by sending them to Tipperary and that is no disrespect to the place.

From what I know domestic break up could equally apply to an urban school. The naughty boy from a good family could be sent to a school in the countryside though. That probably did happen but it worked because there was so much distraction. There was school 6 days a week and wall to wall sport, music, art, craic. They almost always straightened out the wayward lads.
    4ensic15 wrote:
    The last social class availing of boarding schools to a great extent are wealthy farmers. Tipperary is perfectly positioned as a catchment area for them. The wealthier people in the cities can now commute to private schools but the farmers often live a considerable distance from the towns, making commuting a lot of hassle, and they value the social kudos of going to a fee paying school.

The farmers point was true in the past but not for the last 20 years. They were probably cheaper than the urban schools though with most of the benefits.

There was much less emphasis on material things. That was the impression I got anyway. In the past it was normal for farming folk to scrimp and save to send a child for a good education. So they were in the school but there was much less expectation to he wealthy.

I gave limited experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Shint0 wrote: »
    There are still some around. I went to one. I didn't have much choice in the matter as it was a tradition going back in the family.

My cousin's daughter goes to the same one now that she went to. That one is much more liberal than the school I went to but they all end up sounding like Rachel Allen.

Ugh roise

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

All I know is everybody plays lacrosse there and the French teacher will unwittingly make hilarious puns in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because Tipperary is an incredibly diffcult place to escape out of.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ugh roise
    Exactly!

I will reserve comment in case I offend anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Tipperary : the landed gentry are still alive and well.... fox hunting, horses, shooting, fishing rights etc..... you know the usual malarkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Does Tipperary have many? Off the top of my head I can only think of Rockwell, Roscrea and the Ursuline girls school and Pres in Thurles which also accept day pupils.

I hate to be pedantic, but Cistercian Roscrea is actually in Offaly. They did after all win the Leinster Schools rugby last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I hate to be pedantic, but Cistercian Roscrea is actually in Offaly. They did after all win the Leinster Schools rugby last year.

A county border stream runs through it so they can claim either county. They play some competitions in Munster.

Boarding school was always used as a threat when my teenage years were getting out of hand

Oh wow remember that one.

A threat made by the Mum, protests to Dad, issue dropped as there was no way he'd have inflicted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We got the boarding school threat too. Dad went to one and I gather he hated it (doesn't talk about it much) so in his head it would have been the ultimate punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I went to boarding school and loved almost every minute of it.
    Great if you were in to sports. It was well structured days and we even had school classes on a Saturday morning - Agghhhhh.

However made great friends and had a ball even though we only lived 30 minutes away from the school I went home only on the odd weekend but stayed in the school most weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Rockwell is still thriving, but largely on foreign students sent here because of our supposedly high education standards and because we speak english which the foreign business classes are eager for their kids to be fluent in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I was a day student in a boarding school. Some of them boarders we just plane nuts. There was one lad who had been a boarder in england in primary school. He was the worst of them.
    Cant imagine sending a kid to primary school boarding school.

Boarding school in Ireland is very democratic. You can get a private education in some Jesuit schools for a fraction of what is typical in British 'public' schools.

In fact, Protestant boarding schools are often 'free', in effect, because of special government grants to low-income families.

I went to a protestant boarding school where plenty of the farming families sent children pretty much for free, or about the same cost as public schools. I'm not sure if 'the grant' is still going. Seems a bit outdated now in this day and age. The 'cheap' schools like Villiers and Wilson's Hospital would have had to shut without that grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I went to boarding school also. The school closed it doors to boarders about 2 years ago.

The majority of my best friends are from school and we are all still very close. I enjoyed it for the most part but if I had children I don't think I'd send them. My school was very strict with study, think we had 4 hours of it each day after school in 5th and 6th year.
    They were also quite a few dysfunctional girls in the school and I'm not sure how boarding school really could have helped their behaviour.

I feel I missed out on my family life and also my friends from home but don't regret it all the same.

Advertisement