Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is appealing worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

LC2016 wrote: »
    Will we get time to leave to fill out that form in between the reviewing of each paper or do we wait until after reviewing all 7?

Personally I (and student) fill them in as I go. You are only allowed view one paper at a time, e.g. you have to hand back your maths before they give you your irish. I guess it's to prevent a student slipping one into a bag/under a coat and heading out the door and changing it, you only have one on the desk in front of you at all times.

So if you review the maths, think it's worth an appeal, fill in the form and hand it back with the script, then move on to the next subject. Anyway if you review all 7 you probably won't remember what you need to write for the first one by the time you get to the last one. I usually leave a desk outside with a pen so if I see something that deserves marks I get a form and go out and write it down or get the student to write in the details and then continue the review of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Stupid question I know, but we don't choose the date for viewing, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

Thanks to those giving me advice on whether I should view scripts when I already have enough points, think I'll go ahead with it so, as one of you said, I only have one chance to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

Yes, when i'm checking papers with my students every year I see other students in who have far in excess of what they need for their college course going through their papers, everything from 'I'm sure I should I have got a C3 in a foreign language' to 'How many marks did I drop when I got the A1'. For some they are happy to have their first choice in college, however the way I see it is if you view your script and see an obvious error that would give you an upgrade why not go for it, it costs €40 but and on upgrade the fee is refunded. One of my students got an A2 in my subject last year, I checked her paper and it was an A1. She was a good 40 points off her first choice, and has taken the year out. She has since changed her mind about what she wants and that extra points will carry her into her new course of choice.

The D1 in HL Irish that could be a C3 might not matter now, but will matter hugely down the line to the student who decides after finishing their degree that they want to be a primary school teacher and needs a HL C grade in Irish.

Viewing costs nothing and the vast majority of papers are marked accurately, but when you only get one chance, it's free and takes up max 2 hours of your life, why not avail of the service?
    Do you seriously get refunded if you go up in points? Just curious as the form they gave us doesn't really say much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just to remind people, if your paper has already been corrected in red biro and then a second time in green, it has already been rechecked and a successful appeal is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

spurious wrote: »
    Just to remind people, if your paper has already been corrected in red biro and then a second time in green, it has already been rechecked and a successful appeal is unlikely.

What if the rechecked grade was different to the original?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What if the rechecked grade was different to the original?

I'm not sure I understand the question.
    If the original corrector (red) gave it a mark that would translate to a B2 and the Advising Examiner (green) changed it to a B3, then it is a B3.
    It has already been rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

What happens if one of your answers is marked illegible, yet some other teacher can read it and its right ?.

Samurai12 wrote: »
    Do you seriously get refunded if you go up in points? Just curious as the form they gave us doesn't really say much.

Yes. If it goes up a grade (or down a grade, which is extremely rare) then you get refunded, the logic being, if it was corrected without mistakes the first time you would have got the better grade, so you get your money back.

What happens if one of your answers is marked illegible, yet some other teacher can read it and its right ?.

To be fair any examiner that is correcting will try their best to read whatever is in front of them. An examiner will usually be able to figure out a word from the context of a sentence. Remember you can read your handwriting because you are used to it. Some students' handwriting is atrocious. If there is a genuine mistake that a key word in a sentence you wrote is the bit that gets the marks and you didn't get the marks because the examiner couldn't read it - your fault rather than theirs - I would probably go down the road of quoting that line on the AP2 form, but at the end of the day, it should be clear to the examiner what they are reading.

• Advertisement

To be fair any examiner that is correcting will try their best to read whatever is in front of them. An examiner will usually be able to figure out a word from the context of a sentence. Remember you can read your handwriting because you are used to it. Some students' handwriting is atrocious. If there is a genuine mistake that a key word in a sentence you wrote is the bit that gets the marks and you didn't get the marks because the examiner couldn't read it - your fault rather than theirs - I would probably go down the road of quoting that line on the AP2 form, but at the end of the day, it should be clear to the examiner what they are reading.

Thank you very much.
    Just one last qs I had, I did not go to school to get my results, opened them online, my school said they should arrive by monday(the result script), i read the leaving cert 2016 appeal section and it says if i am not mistaken appeal aplication forms must be sent in by tuesday 23rd. When they send my results will I also receive a copy of both ap1 and ap2. Or would I have to go in school and get it there.

Thank you very much.
    Just one last qs I had, I did not go to school to get my results, opened them online, my school said they should arrive by monday(the result script), i read the leaving cert 2016 appeal section and it says if i am not mistaken appeal aplication forms must be sent in by tuesday 23rd. When they send my results will I also receice a copy of both ap1 and ap2. Or would I have to go in school and get it there.

I have no idea to be honest. AP1 and 2 are the forms you fill in if you are appealing after viewing your script. The form you are thinking of ( I don't know what the name of it is) is the request to view scripts. As they are pre printed I guess they come to the school with your results. I would assume they'll send it to you but you can confirm this by ringing your school Monday morning and checking if it has been posted or if you need to collect it

I have no idea to be honest. AP1 and 2 are the forms you fill in if you are appealing after viewing your script. The form you are thinking of ( I don't know what the name of it is) is the request to view scripts. As they are pre printed I guess they come to the school with your results. I would assume they'll send it to you but you can confirm this by ringing your school Monday morning and checking if it has been posted or if you need to collect it

Yes sorry the form to view scripts. Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

My son is shy 13 points for UCD and 6 for Galway med.

He is going to look at scripts next weekend. We have seen the % of success appeals. Anyone know whats the % of adding errors .

Clutching at straws here

http://www.thejournal.ie/leaving-cert-appeals-2372263-Oct2015/
    Looking at last year's appeal success rate, over 23% of people who appealed in accounting were upgraded and 22.89% in maths and only 5 grades out of the 9809 appealed went down. I would say it's definitely worth a shot for people who are off by 5/10 points,

JC43 wrote: »
    My son is shy 13 points for UCD and 6 for Galway med.

He is going to look at scripts next weekend. We have seen the % of success appeals. Anyone know whats the % of adding errors .

Clutching at straws here

I don't think I've ever seen those stats. They don't really matter anyway. Go and view the scripts and check for addition errors and if anything should have got marks that didn't. That's all you can do.

What did your son get points wise? Remember any points over 550 only get 1 point for every five points achieved. What does he realistically need to come up to get those 13 or 6 points?

Samurai12 wrote: »
    I want to view my chemistry and physics results and possibly appeal them. But I was told that subjects like English and Irish and most languages are better to appeal due to the nature of those exams. And that exams like chemistry or physics are harder to appeal due to their yes or no nature.
    So I juat want to ask people who have appealed before is it worth it?

Also I am 10 points off my second choice which i really want and I feel like if i appeal it, by the time i get my results i would have missed out on things such as Freshers Week and such which I feel are kind of important.

The first year that you could view your papers was in 1999 and I asked to view my Biology paper (now I have a Bio degree so I was suspicious of a C3 in Higher level)

There on the paper was my real mark and I got the C3 as a clerical error. It is worth checking but do NOT depend on it, as all my other papers (it was free to view them) were as described

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

I don't think I've ever seen those stats. They don't really matter anyway. Go and view the scripts and check for addition errors and if anything should have got marks that didn't. That's all you can do.

What did your son get points wise? Remember any points over 550 only get 1 point for every five points achieved. What does he realistically need to come up to get those 13 or 6 points?

Bit of a disaster. Got 95th percentile in hpat and then 530 in LC . Don't know if it was nerves, unlucky or didn't put the work in. Went down a grade in every subject from the mocks. Even his Irish was b1 - went to gaelscoil. His hpat was great but said he couldn't pull it out of bag again as all his practice ones were some weeks 40 and the following weeks 80 . So the 95 was a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

All marking schemes are on examinations.ie now for my fellow recheckers. Not a whole lot of good without your scripts but sure look..

My school text us advising to print off our own marking schemes as there is only a small number offered by the SEC. For all 7 exams that I decided to look at, that equals 244 pages! Is it worth doing or do you think they are just being extra careful telling us to do so?

• Advertisement

My school text us advising to print off our own marking schemes as there is only a small number offered by the SEC. For all 7 exams that I decided to look at, that equals 244 pages! Is it worth doing or do you think they are just being extra careful telling us to do so?

There is usually 1 copy of each marking scheme available and 2 for the popular subjects like English, Irish and maths. You can view your scripts in any order so you can view your maths if someone else is using the French scheme. I've never seen it to be a major issue in my school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

That would be mad! Obviously, you didn't attend a green school :) Save your ink and paper - there should be enough to have access to in the two hour period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kmcc1617

Viewed my geography paper today and on the front of it they had written A2 and 425 marks, then the same marker went back and took two marks off me for the placement of the river on my sketch map! I got full marks in my journal and I've worked out that I have 84.6% , is it worth it to send it back to appeal? I feel like they've took marks off me because of the bell curve just to even out the grades in the country. So unfair that I had the A2 but then bumped it down :(

kmcc1617 wrote: »
    Viewed my geography paper today and on the front of it they had written A2 and 425 marks, then the same marker went back and took two marks off me for the placement of the river on my sketch map! I got full marks in my journal and I've worked out that I have 84.6% , is it worth it to send it back to appeal? I feel like they've took marks off me because of the bell curve just to even out the grades in the country. So unfair that I had the A2 but then bumped it down :(

Was the second marks in green? If so, an advising examiner remarked and changed it. I don't think you would get an upgrade unless there was a slip in the end of page totals.

Was the second marks in green? If so, an advising examiner remarked and changed it. I don't think you would get an upgrade unless there was a slip in the end of page totals.

Naw it was the same examiner that changed, both in red pen. There was a few things like diagrams I didn't get marks for in physical but I'll just hope I get it changed , not sure but

kmcc1617 wrote: »
    Naw it was the same examiner that changed, both in red pen. There was a few things like diagrams I didn't get marks for in physical but I'll just hope I get it changed , not sure but

Would your teacher be able to have a look at it or have you applied for remarking already?

I knew I was rightly disappointed with my English result. Originally given a B3 in red pen and then some d*** in green came back and marked down most questions and brought me down to a C1..

kmcc1617 wrote:

The re-mark was probably at the request of the adv. Ex..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Got 84.5℅ on OL Maths. I was searching everywhere for some marks to bring me up but there was nowhere really. It doesn't make any difference to my points whether I appeal or not but it's still annoying.
    I'm contemplating asking my English teacher's opinion tomorrow as I think I should've done better in English.

• Advertisement

Would your teacher be able to have a look at it or have you applied for remarking already?

Yeah my teacher and another teacher in the school both think I should appeal it, it's just so annoying like I was so close to the A2 and I had it but they changed it

Advertisement