Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is appealing worth it?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

There seems to be a lot of 'I was 5 points away from an A1, the examiner was really strict'. Well just to point out a few things. In order to get an A1, there would be little or no mistakes - names on diagrams / correct formulae used / correct tense etc.

Examiners don't look at exam papers and say 'Ah poor student, 9 marks from an A1 - sure I'll give him/her an A1'. Now some examiners will look back and see but they can't be doing that in every script that is close i.e. student 9 marks from an A1 for a number of reasons: 1. They would be correcting twice and 2. As alluded to above, when they send on the script to the AE and they feel that marks were given generously /over strict - they will make the examiner re-mark all of their work. It is a lot easier to go with the decided marking scheme where everyone is treated the same and get the result they deserve.

Now I am aware mistakes can happen, I know it happened last year with Home Economics which resulted in some students being upgraded. This is as a result of candidates viewing their scripts, finding faults and getting script(s) rechecked and obviously if their are a lot of candidates returning scripts, it will probably trigger some sort of rechecking as a whole in the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rustywtf

I had a look at my History paper there at the weekend and had some grievances with the marking on one of my essays. Got 95 for my project, 90 in the documents, 85 in my sov/part essay and then ended up with a 55 on my Northern Ireland essay.

Honestly I thought I'd done really well in that section coming out of the exam hall and after looking over the paper, if i'd been handed that grade in class i'd be a bit flabbergasted.

Only problem is there were little green ticks around the paper. It doesn't look like it's been comprehensively re-marked as there's no numbers, just little ticks on every page.

Is it worth appealing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rustywtf wrote:
    Is it worth appealing?

Not really. It means the advising examiner agreed with the first examiner. Is your class teacher an examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rustywtf wrote: »
    I had a look at my History paper there at the weekend and had some grievances with the marking on one of my essays. Got 95 for my project, 90 in the documents, 85 in my sov/part essay and then ended up with a 55 on my Northern Ireland essay.

Honestly I thought I'd done really well in that section coming out of the exam hall and after looking over the paper, if i'd been handed that grade in class i'd be a bit flabbergasted.

Only problem is there were little green ticks around the paper. It doesn't look like it's been comprehensively re-marked as there's no numbers, just little ticks on every page.

Is it worth appealing?

Again, I'm going to ask the question I've asked of other posts, were there sections of your essay that didn't have marks awarded that should have been awarded marks according to the marking scheme? That should be the criteria for considering an appeal. What grade you would have been handed in class is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rustywtf

Again, I'm going to ask the question I've asked of other posts, were there sections of your essay that didn't have marks awarded that should have been awarded marks according to the marking scheme? That should be the criteria for considering an appeal. What grade you would have been handed in class is irrelevant.

the history marking scheme doesn't go into specifics, for an essay there's 60 marks going for info and 40 marks for answering the question. I got 30/25 respectively on my NI essay even though it appeared to me that I'd supplied plenty of facts and very clearly answered the question. As far as i could see it didn't look terribly different in terms of structure and length compared to my sov/part essay which got 85.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

Anyone any idea when the results of the appeals/rechecks are out.
    Also if successful are they sent to the school or do we get a letter in the post to our cao address.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

JC43 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when the results of the appeals/rechecks are out.
    Also if successful are they sent to the school or do we get a letter in the post to our cao address.
    Thanks

i contacted the sec and they told me sometime around the 10th of October. Im not 100% sure about how the successful results are released, but i think your school will give you a call on the phone if you've gone up or down in points :)

hrvo1998 wrote: »
    i contacted the sec and they told me sometime around the 10th of October. Im not 100% sure about how the successful results are released, but i think your school will give you a call on the phone if you've gone up or down in points :)

They usually come to the school, in printed form, the same way as you got your LC results. The grade will be printed beside the subject and underneath it, it will say upgraded, downgraded or no change.

I presume students can still use their login to access their results online the same way they did in August. It's usually a Wednesday they are released, and the CAO offers, where applicabale the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

Phoned the SEC and was told "out on the 12th Oct all going well"

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Misty_01

Just to let others know for future reference, I ended up only appealing the maths as I wasn't willing to put in 80euro as I got my course of preference anyway. According to my provisional results I was 8 marks of an A1. I took a look at the paper and realised that the examiner wasn't giving me marks where they were due and was too 'strict' using the marking scheme. Just looked at my results there online and I got my A1 at the end of the day ! So is appealing worth it ? Yes, if you've taken your time to examine the paper and really believe you were marked unfairly / incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

4 of my students appealed.
    3 had their grades upgraded.
    A2 to A1
    B1 to A2
    B3 to B2

Alas, the 4th student, 1 mark, or 0.25% away from an A1 didn't get upgraded.

It's a cruel system when the difference between a quarter of one per cent is 10 points and a college place.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

I didn't feel that my French exam was worth appealing after I viewed it so I decided against it. Then my teacher randomly called my parents and tried to convince them to convince me to send it off, so I was like okay okay I'll just try. I just got my results back and turns out that I was upgraded and I've been offered my dream course - on random selection!

So yes, appealing is worth it :) Hope everyone got what they wanted and deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Geography wasn't a subject I was great at in my leaving cert. got a grade E. long story short, I appealed. Came back the same.

4 of my students appealed.
    3 had their grades upgraded.
    A2 to A1
    B1 to A2
    B3 to B2

Alas, the 4th student, 1 mark, or 0.25% away from an A1 didn't get upgraded.

It's a cruel system when the difference between a quarter of one per cent is 10 points and a college place.

But where does the cut off point stop? There's no rounding in the Leaving Cert so 89.75 is an A2 and 90 is an A1. If we were to round up from 89.5 then the student on 89.25 would be the one feeling hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

But where does the cut off point stop? There's no rounding in the Leaving Cert so 89.75 is an A2 and 90 is an A1. If we were to round up from 89.5 then the student on 89.25 would be the one feeling hard done by.

As a LC examiner for the past 6 years, I am acutely aware of the cut off points.

I just don't think they are fair.
    The new H1-7 system will
    Do little to alleviate this issue.

I would like to see a fairer system where a student is given points based on the percentage they achieve in each subject, i.e. 91% gets 91 points.
    Round up from .5 of a per cent.

As a LC examiner for the past 6 years, I am acutely aware of the cut off points.

I just don't think they are fair.
    The new H1-7 system will
    Do little to alleviate this issue.

I would like to see a fairer system where a student is given points based on the percentage they achieve in each subject, i.e. 91% gets 91 points.
    Round up from .5 of a per cent.

I think that would exacerbate the problem rather than alleviate it. Students would be appealing grades along every percentage point rather than grades bands. High points courses would lead to students appealing all grades in the hope of going up a percentage pint of two to get into a desired course

Advertisement