Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that make people think their great for doing. (When in fact they aren't)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Modesty. I hate people being all modest. Modest people think they're great.

Ah we're not. Everybody else is brilliant. We're just about alright on a good day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Anyone who doles out the "well look on the brightside", "just think positive", "at least you it's not X" line to someone with an actual real problem.
    People who'll never say "can I help?" but you just know will give themselves a little pat on the back later for dispensing this ever so useful wisdom.

More people need to be harder on themselves, I used to be a depressed **** who wallowed in my own self pity, then one day I said nobody really gives a **** except for the people closest to you and they can do nothing to change it, so you have two options, continue being a sad act or shape up and realize it could be a lot lot worse. There is a reason why these type of quotes prevail, because they are ****ing legit. But we live in a society where weakness is embraced and celebrated, people should be empowered to recognise their faults, their weaknesses, their insecurities etc. and respond accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

People with no self-confidence - they think they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

riclad wrote: »
    or people who just buy everything online from uk or american websites .
    And act surprised when all the good local bookshops,/record stores close down.

I'd look at it the opposite way - people who pay double what they have to, to buy "x" from a local store when they could have gotten it on amazon for half.
    There is nothing patriotic or noble about allowing a business owner to rob you!

Your local bookstores purpose is to make money for the local bookstore owner, it is not some selfless gesture for the betterment of the area.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The things I listed are completely boring, neutral who cares crap that a small number of people will throw around the place for virtue signalling reasons, for being insecure about their intelligence, to fit in with a certain group of people, for wanting to say they achieved something difficult, when they actually didn't. List goes on. We all have Facebook pages.

Which is the whole point of this thread, isn't it?

So presumably this doesn't include instances when it's actually required for someone to signal said "neutral, who cares cráp"?

• Advertisement

Big time. The preferred way to feed a baby (although some women struggle), nothing wrong with it in public, but being militant about it - making mothers who cannot manage it feel bad... that is just, well, not nice really.

Urgh this so much. I've a relative (that I wound up unfriending) who spent the first two years of her baby's life filling her facebook wall with posts about how breast is best, and all the health benefits of breast feeding and posts about sit in breastfeeding sessions in protest of imaginary people who allegedly had an issue with others breastfeeding etc - all fine points I suppose but what about women who want to breastfeed but cant? Or women who simply choose not to. Such militant carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Urgh this so much. I've a relative (that I wound up unfriending) who spent the first two years of her baby's life filling her facebook wall with posts about how breast is best, and all the health benefits of breast feeding and posts about sit in breastfeeding sessions in protest of imaginary people who allegedly had an issue with others breastfeeding etc - all fine points I suppose but what about women who want to breastfeed but cant? Or women who simply choose not to. Such militant carry on.

There is no ''can't'' according to the militants. My own feed is full of it. Mothers just haven't persisted long enough and midwives give bad advice, etc.
    They need enemies so they have an excuse to be self righteous. I don't think they can handle other people really not caring.
    The irony is the loudest breastfeeding ''lactivist'' on FB sounds like she hasn't got the baby latched on properly. Yes, sometimes it hurts but IMO it doesn't usually.She keeps saying it's supposed to be painful etc.

There is no ''can't'' according to the militants. My own feed is full of it. Mothers just haven't persisted long enough and midwives give bad advice, etc.
    They need enemies so they have an excuse to be self righteous. I don't think they can handle other people really not caring.
    The irony is the loudest breastfeeding ''lactivist'' on FB sounds like she hasn't got the baby latched on properly. Yes, sometimes it hurts but IMO it doesn't usually.She keeps saying it's supposed to be painful etc.

Lactivist lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Genuinely, I think a lot of that breast feeding activism is to cover up feelings of inadequacy in the person in relation to being a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

A lad I know who "stays in to babysit so his wife can go out with the girls"...

Good lad.

P.s. Its not called babysitting if they are your own kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'd look at it the opposite way - people who pay double what they have to, to buy "x" from a local store when they could have gotten it on amazon for half.
    There is nothing patriotic or noble about allowing a business owner to rob you!
    Your local bookstores purpose is to make money for the local bookstore owner, it is not some selfless gesture for the betterment of the area.:confused:

My local bookshop charges me higher prices than Amazon (maybe up to 25%) but they're certainly not "robbing me blind". I choose to pay that premium for the service.
    But I'm pleased that the bookshop:
    - is unlikely to be engaging in dubious off-shore tax avoidance practices.
    - isn't creaming grants from local authorities
    - isn't exploiting and hounding staff
    - adds to the appeal of my town centre. I can pleasantly while away an hour browsing without buying anything.

I must admit I do like Amazon to help me research a book or product - before I buy it locally or elsewhere online.

My local bookshop charges me higher prices than Amazon (maybe up to 25%) but they're certainly not "robbing me blind". I choose to pay that premium for the service.
    - adds to the appeal of my town centre. I can pleasantly while away an hour browsing without buying anything.

I must admit I do like Amazon to help me research a book or product - before I buy it locally or elsewhere online.

You can do this in a library too, and feel good about keeping a librarian in a job. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You can do this in a library too, and feel good about keeping a librarian in a job. :P
    I do, frequently. But nothing to do with keeping someone in employment. Public library is another great asset to any town.

'Telling their story' through tattoos.

Grand, you've had a tough life. I'm not 'hating on you', I just don't give a crap either way, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

mcgiggles wrote: »
    A lad I know who "stays in to babysit so his wife can go out with the girls"...Good lad.

P.s. Its not called babysitting if they are your own kids!

Yes! People who look for a medal for doing stuff that everyone else does without comment.

Like taking care of their own kids. Or the 'I pay my taxes' brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Kindergarten?!? Back in my day it was called playschool. We ate Taz bars and went to playschool, like real men.

I thought that you were dead Jimmy. Feck you and your tracksuit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That's a lot of assumptions, you may be correct in them or then again you may not be.
    I can tell you what your local bookshop certainly doesn't do however, and that's employ the guts of 2,000 people in Ireland.
    That's the thing about high horses, sometimes the view from them isn't all that great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Do you think the average Range Rover driver thinks they are making a contribution to society or something by driving one? I presume they just like the cars :confused:

Are you a RR driver by any chance?

I have to agree, seems to be a status symbol in Dublin. I like cars but the day I find myself driving my 1.3 children* the 500meters from my house to their school in a RR is the day I need to have a little chat with myself.

*Said children do not exist yet

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

blacklilly wrote: »

I have to agree, seems to be a status symbol in Dublin. I like cars but the day I find myself driving my 1.3 children* the 500meters from my house to their school in a RR is the day I need to have a little chat with myself.

*Said children do not exist yet

So in any other car you would drive that tiny distance ??

That's odd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    So in any other car you would drive that tiny distance ??

That's odd

Nope, I'd walk my children until they were old enough to walk it alone.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'd walk my children until they were old enough to walk it alone.

It is amazing how much easier it is for adults to get to work during the summer months. I love it. Dreading September when the traffic chaos begins again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Think they just mean those who drive them are not claiming to be doing anything good or martyrish, which seems to be what this thread is about.

Anyway, people who call out those just doing their job for being "jobsworths". There is nothing wrong with someone not putting their neck on the line at work to do someone a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Giving to charity and posting it on facebook. Masturbating their ego in the process.

Saying I'm only trying to help when it actually means 'I'm going to criticize the hell out of you but pretend it's for you own benefit with a wafer thin justification.

Allowing women seats on public transport? So much for equity between men and women eh!>

Allowing dogs to roam free and harass people and think the dog is only 'too cute' he's not. He's jumping on me and causing a nuisance, especially bigger dogs.

Going to Lourdes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Women who think they are amazing because they gave birth naturally and look down their noses at us c section Mams, using phrases like "too posh to push". All that matters is that mam and baby are safe and well, and I've never heard of anyone getting a medal for giving birth, either naturally or otherwise. Get a grip!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

people that snark about other people using some no longer supported piece of technology like MacBook / iPhone that was actually made when Steve Jobs was still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

People who hold the door open for you when you're a little too far away, forcing you to do that awkward half run.

And then I let go of the door just as they are about to reach it. :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wedding planners

see first 20 seconds of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

People who think they're great for asking one question after another in classroom training sessions. Prevalent enough here in Dublin, on MS Office package training courses.

In fact these geezers severely disrupt the flow of the lesson. You can't say anything against this sort of person: they'd call you out as "unprofessional"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

People who have to have something going on / planned / booked for every waking moment they aren't in work. Not so much minibreaks or travelling as that's pedestrian these days. But shít like triathlons, iron mans/men??, mini marathons, hell and backs, crossing the country to go fúcking potholing for the weekend. Doesn't matter what it is, but it just HAS to be something, because ya know, staying at home one weekend to scratch your ass would be just......... missing out. Guess you have to keep feeding that social media monster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Agricola wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what it is, but it just HAS to be something, because ya know, staying at home one weekend to scratch your ass would be just......... missing out. Guess you have to keep feeding that social media monster.

It would appear they have something of a captive audience.

Advertisement