Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Danielle1288

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Let's hope the engagement ring blogger isn't reading this and nobody gets fired for blabbing from that jewellers.

I think there's a blogger friend amongst us 😬🙈

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I think there's a blogger friend amongst us 😬🙈

Nope not a friend of hers. Since the other bloggers are reading this it's not beyond the realms of possibility that she is as well. And if there was a confidentiality agreement about her ring that someone in there blabbed about she's well within her rights to complain about it.

Unless of course she was paid AND got the ring but I'd highly doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well hopefully that article has been some kind of wake up call for some bloggers and made them aware that there are people watching them, people who are outside the echo chamber of their spoon fed worshippers, and people who have the capacity for critical thought and who aren't afraid to call them out for not being transparent. Although it's kinda gas that even journalists doing their job get called haters and jealous. Nobody is immune from being a hater. Lol.
    Hopefully it induces self observation, and the ability to think about what they post and the consequences of it before they post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Nope not a friend of hers. Since the other bloggers are reading this it's not beyond the realms of possibility that she is as well. And if there was a confidentiality agreement about her ring that someone in there blabbed about she's well within her rights to complain about it.

Unless of course she was paid AND got the ring but I'd highly doubt that.

To be a fly on the wall for that conversation:

Blogger: "How dare you break our confidentiality agreement and say my ring was free"

Jeweller: "Oh ya. Sorry about that"

Blogger: "too late for that, our deal is over"

Jeweller: "okay, that'll be 5 grand so please"

Blogger: "........."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Let's hope the engagement ring blogger isn't reading this and nobody gets fired for blabbing from that jewellers.

What, like the time an airline staff member was concerned about being reported on for opening her mouth about a bloggers flight detail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

To be honest, the blogger in question won't be too bothered i'm sure. Everything she posts is very pre-meditated I find.
    Her FB and Instagram are just the same as everybody elses. However her snapchat is normally very boring. Its basically snaps of her dog/home or else she comes on while she's be driven in the car to basically give people information about her own products, her masterclasses or #ad products. Nothing special. It's all about herself.

She's very much business orientated. I doubt she will do anything, sure she has been silent about all these #ad issues.

EDIT: forget about the airline incident :D Did she actually follow through with reporting her? If so, the girl in the ring shop might be getting her P45. :cool:

ratmouse wrote: »
    What, like the time an airline staff member was concerned about being reported on for opening her mouth about a bloggers flight detail?

What?:confused:

heyjude88 wrote: »
    To be honest, the blogger in question won't be too bothered i'm sure. Everything she posts is very pre-meditated I find.
    Her FB and Instagram are just the same as everybody elses. However her snapchat is normally very boring. Its basically snaps of her dog/home or else she comes on while she's be driven in the car to basically give people information about her own products, her masterclasses or #ad products. Nothing special. It's all about herself.

She's very much business orientated. I doubt she will do anything, sure she has been silent about all these #ad issues.

EDIT: forget about the airline incident :D Did she actually follow through with reporting her? If so, the girl in the ring shop might be getting her P45. :cool:

No idea how it all panned out. I remember people on Facebook saying that the airline staff member was only a young person and to give them a break and bit get them into trouble .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

So Currys blogger has addressed yesterday's article (re. the baby formula) in a very short post on the Facebook page of the support group she set up. Predictably, two comments in the old "jealousy" chestnut has been trotted out.

At this time she still does not appear to have addressed the TV situation....

ETA: Interesting to note that the comment was posted from her personal Facebook profile, not her blogger one even though the offending snaps came from her blogger-persona Snapchat account.

One might think that's a deliberate attempt to distance her blogger business from the "scandal". I'd imagine the C&G were less than thrilled to be dragged in to such an affair given the seriousness of the issue of promoting formula.

So Currys blogger has addressed yesterday's article (re. the baby formula) in a very short post on the Facebook page of the support group she set up. Predictably, two comments in the old "jealousy" chestnut has been trotted out.

At this time she still does not appear to have addressed the TV situation....

ETA: Interesting to note that the comment was posted from her personal Facebook profile, not her blogger one even though the offending snaps came from her blogger-persona Snapchat account.

One might think that's a deliberate attempt to distance her blogger business from the "scandal". I'd imagine the C&G were less than thrilled to be dragged in to such an affair given the seriousness of the issue of promoting formula.

You can clearly see by the comment c&g gave to yesterdays article that they are trying to distance themselves from her and all of this mess :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

No idea how it all panned out. I remember people on Facebook saying that the airline staff member was only a young person and to give them a break and bit get them into trouble .

I never heard this story do tell lol

You can clearly see by the comment c&g gave to yesterdays article that they are trying to distance themselves from her and all of this mess :rolleyes:

Where is c&g's comment posted ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Cria wrote: »
    Where is c&g's comment posted ?.

It was in the article. Someone has photos a few posts back.

I never heard this story do tell lol

It was ages ago Cria on Facebook .Something to do with blogger supposedly being unhappy about some element of airline service .An employee of said airline left a comment (which she shouldn't have to be fair). It was then inferred that airline would be contacted about that employee.

That story aside, what did c&g say regarding the sponsored post?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

How far back? I can't remember seeing that post and I've been following. Tried going back to find it with no luck!

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adpad

Suppose there will be a lot more sponsored content #ad if there has to be a mortgage got.

Here

The odd thing about C&G's comment is that they have stated they had worked with her and referred specifically to her real name and completely distanced themselves from her blogger persona. However if you look at C&G's Facebook page, anytime she worked with them and did a video they referred to her as her blogger name, not her real name.

I think C&G are being very disingenuous here. They CLEARLY worked with her because she is a blogger and has a large following and now they are distancing themselves from her blog. Do they honestly expect us to believe they would have hired her if no one knew who she was?!

I feel as if they have cut her loose and tbh think it's a bit cut-throat. She has been kinda thrown to the wolves. She may not have actually known the rules around baby formula advertising. They certainly did and should have made it absolutely clear to her not to stray in to that territory. Not defending her, she should be informing herself of important rules and regs if she's going to work with brands in industries she is unfamiliar with, but the end game is that is doesn't reflect well on either her or he company.

I think you're reading waaay too much into that.

I think you're reading waaay too much into that.

I doubt it. They were very specific in their response.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The ASAI code of standards likely follows the equivalent in the UK but it's also worth seeing how things are done in the US, where the mega-influencers make a killing.

The Fashion Law is a great site that often highlights international bloggers and influencers' use or non-use of correct hashtags when doing sponsored posts. I found this particular post very interesting:

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/a-how-to-guide-for-properly-disclosing-your-sponsored-posts

The Irish bloggers and influencers have been basking in the attention and freebies and have not really been held accountable for non-disclosure. I'm sure sometimes it's pure forgetfulness (they are human) but other times it's a case of ignorance of the code or an attitude of 'ah sure it doesn't really matter'. This is what needs to change.

If it's sponsored, they should simply disclose it immediately as #spon #ad or #sample
    It would be ASAI compliant, keep a high level of transparency from both influencer and brand with the loyal followers, and keeps us happy too ;)

Sorry for the long post!

Thank you

It was ages ago Cria on Facebook .Something to do with blogger supposedly being unhappy about some element of airline service .An employee of said airline left a comment (which she shouldn't have to be fair). It was then inferred that airline would be contacted about that employee.

That story aside, what did c&g say regarding the sponsored post?

Ah I never heard that story thanks .. I'm going to look at the photos to see what c&g said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I'm sure sometimes it's pure forgetfulness (they are human) but other times it's a case of ignorance of the code or an attitude of 'ah sure it doesn't really matter'. This is what needs to change. /quote]

Yes I agree with this! One blogger I was fond of tried to defend not using #ad on Snapchat because it was enoying having to keep typing it on every snap. Somehow they manage to use a filter with snaps talking to the camera though. This completely put me off her. I can't walk into my job and break the rules that that are tedious because I couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

I see aldi are no longer involved in Curry's coffee morning.

Are they not ,it must be from all the negativity surrounding her lately. Them and c&g must be distancing themselves from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Are they not ,it must be from all the negativity surrounding her lately. Them and c&g must be distancing themselves from her.

That or the fact that she was plugging Lidl products at the same time as announcing the Aldi collaboration!

Where did you see that? Sounds like they are annoyed with her.

• Advertisement

Dolbert wrote: »
    That or the fact that she was plugging Lidl products at the same time as announcing the Aldi collaboration!

I'd say your right. If I was a company wanting a blogger to advertise for me I wouldn't pick one who constantly promotes other companies.
    It just looks like it's all about €€, she is one of the worst bloggers to do this.

She doesn't want to be completely transparent and just Carrys on doing it even when she's questioned.

I have followed the main ones since they started loved reading the blogs and watching their YouTube channels. There has been a huge change in the last two years since companies got involved.

The currys blogger was so enthusiastic when she started she loved doing make up tutorials and give tips ect.

Now it's just and odd blog which is advertising companies and Snapchat of her in bed or constantly her baby and plugging brands.

I've been reading about a few bloggers who have stopped now after years of blogging because of the changes, they are getting pushed aside because they won't sell their souls to these companies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement