Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Has anyone actually figured out why brand ambassadors don't have to #ad? Miss Free Car has the longest rambling story up about how amazing the tea is and why everyone should do the social media challenge (that Curry's discussed this morning and did #ad at the last snap) and not one #ad in sight

I was thinking that earlier, on her twitter she said it's not an ad as she is brand ambassador so it's not a one off ad. So she doesn't have to #ad
    She is contracted to talk about the tea therefore she claims it's not an ad.

If she's contracted then she's getting paid overall to promote the brand does that not constitute as an ad.

She said she knows the rules and regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Chinese whispers.

The truth of the matter more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

ratmouse wrote: »
    The truth of the matter more like

All of this is speculation. You don't know they were paid. It's easy to catch 'Curry's' blogger out because others get the exact same things and do #ad but there's no way of knowing for sure about the others unless you were involved in the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Cria wrote: »
    I was thinking that earlier, on her twitter she said it's not an ad as she is brand ambassador so it's not a one off ad. So she doesn't have to #ad

If she's contracted then she's getting paid overall to promote the brand does that not constitute as an ad.

That is actually a shocking logic and makes no sense whatsoever! She's paid to promote the brand so she should #ad whenever taking about the brand, whether she's "brand ambassador" or not. What if a new follower didn't know she was brand ambassador?

To be fair, I'd say she is savvy regarding rules and regs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

I've been reading the thread with interest and may have posted once way back when it started a good few months ago. I hope the thread goes back on track a bit. It can be frustrating reading some comments slagging off some bloggers occasionally, when the majority of posts have been giving constructive criticism and feedback not just to the implicated bloggers who refuse to highlight that what they are promoting need to be identified as ads and to those who do comply and go above the standards given. Sorry for the awfully long post, but I just wanted to throw my two cents into the mix! Carry on. :)

All of this is speculation. You don't know they were paid. It's easy to catch 'Curry's' blogger out because others get the exact same things and do #ad but there's no way of knowing for sure about the others unless you were involved in the deal.

Fair enough but a fairly educated guess tells they true story I'm sure.

Yes your right unless you were involved in the deal you can't know for sure even if a member of your family works there it's still hearsay.
    Although it was blatantly obvious with the Constant promoting of the company.
    Why else would you promote the company you got your engagement ring in unless you want the public to know the price which would be vile.

Why else would you promote the company you got your engagement ring in unless you want the public to know the price which would be vile.

Maybe because she loves the ring and recommends them?

Over and over again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 confeetti

Maybe because she is a ***celebrity ambassador*** means she doesn't have to #ad it

Currys blogger is just an average Joe soap so she does have to use #ad......

I'm joking of course!!

When you google "celebrity ambassadors" , it basically tells you about celebrities who work closely with charities. Nothing about pushing products or teaming up with brands. I wouldn't be putting the tea ambassadors up with the likes of Angelina or Emma Watson :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I don't want to get in to this thing between the two of you but I would question why some who's job it is to promote stuff and gets paid handsomely for that would regularly name check a company for free. Once or twice maybe but more than that?

Disclaimer: I don't follow her on social media so I've no idea where she bought her ring or how often she talks about them, I'm just going off the info above.

anna080 wrote: »
    That is actually a shocking logic and makes no sense whatsoever! She's paid to promote the brand so she should #ad whenever taking about the brand, whether she's "brand ambassador" or not. What if a new follower didn't know she was brand ambassador?

Exactly a new follower may not know
    She's the brand ambassador.

stating she's a brand ambassador for a company in one snap of about 20 is not satisfactory.

She entered a contract to speak about a company, in these contracts they are obliged to do so much work via social media platforms.

How can she possibly say it's not an ad that's a ridiculous statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 confeetti

SB_Part2
    Quote:

Look, other bloggers, including the one who has a little boy has gotten free gifts from this jewellers and More recently she sent her own ring in to be cleaned and polished and spoke about it for days. They always send gifts out such as ear-rings etc. Theres no way that some sort of discount didn't apply.

To be fair, I'd say she is savvy regarding rules and regs.

I'd say so just doesn't seem right to say it's not an ad because she wasn't paid to speak about the company at that time.

It is however part of her contract to speak about the company therefore its screams advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

confeetti wrote: »
    Maybe because she is a ***celebrity ambassador*** means she doesn't have to #ad it

I'm joking of course!!

When you google "celebrity ambassadors" , it basically tells you about celebrities who work closely with charities. Nothing about pushing products or teaming up with brands. I wouldn't be putting the tea ambassadors up with the likes of Angelina or Emma Watson :P

You might not be putting them up with Emma Watson or Angelina but the rules should be exactly the same. And charities compete for money too so advertising should be flagged (free endorsement is different issue).

Maybe she felt the need to repeat it on numerous occasions who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

confeetti wrote: »

I'm joking of course!!

She is or at least was an ambassador for a children's cancer charity at some stage last year.

That article I agree with another poster was definately written with this thread in the writers head! I agree with the blogger who posted here about not commenting because of the person who wrote the article. Maybe this all might ruffle a few feather. Get bloggers/influencers hastagging right and companies making sure they do too! Then everyone will be happy!!! (For a while anyhow!!!!)

Her explanation doesn't make much sense, New Jeans blogger is a brand ambassador for the butter company but she still includes AD (very discreetly though) when she posts about them. Why would she do this if it wasn't necessary? We know she isn't exactly a shining beacon when comes to disclosure in general. So how is that different to Fairy blogger?

Plus an ad is an ad (we know she's being paid) whether it's on social media or traditional media, just because she isn't on the telly plugging these teas doesn't mean it's not an ad. If she was in a TV ad, would she think it wasn't really an ad because she's a brand ambassador?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

Do you work for the jewellers?

I've talked to a girl who worked in the jewellers months ago- when she said where she worked someone in the group asked about the ring being free & she said it was but wouldn't elaborate further (got the impression she already regretted saying so much) cited strict confidentially n all that.

• Advertisement

I've talked to a girl who worked in the jewellers months ago- when she said where she worked someone in the group asked about the ring being free & she said it was but wouldn't elaborate further (got the impression she already regretted saying so much) cited strict confidentially n all that.

Is it just me or, despite getting other things free/gifted/sponsored, is it kind of sad to get something as special as an engagement ring for free? Even if someone didn't have much cash, engagement rings don't have to be super expensive .Some even present family heirlooms or antique rings as engagement rings purely because of the sentimental and personal value attached to said actions . To go and possibly blag a jewellery item as special and personal as an engagement ring for free just seems so cold and impersonal. I don't care if anyone else comes on here and says it's money smart on their part, some things should come from the heart irrespective of the price.

Her explanation doesn't make much sense, New Jeans blogger is a brand ambassador for the butter company but she still includes AD (very discreetly though) when she posts about them. Why would she do this if it wasn't necessary? We know she isn't exactly a shining beacon when comes to disclosure in general. So how is that different to Fairy blogger?

Plus an ad is an ad (we know she's being paid) whether it's on social media or traditional media, just because she isn't on the telly plugging these teas doesn't mean it's not an ad. If she was in a TV ad, would she think it wasn't really an ad because she's a brand ambassador?

Obviously quoting my own post here but I was thinking maybe it's because she discloses in the same piece that she's a brand ambassador e.g. if it was a tweet, if in the tweet she said she was a brand ambassador then she wouldn't need to #ad too as she's covered by disclosing she's working with them. Snapchat is different though, the disclosure would need to be in every snap would it not? Not just in one random snap in the middle of 10 or 15 other snaps about the product.

Just going off my understanding of how it works in the US with twitter, could be different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is it just me or, despite getting other things free/gifted/sponsored, is it kind of sad to get something as special as an engagement ring for free? Even if someone didn't have much cash, engagement rings don't have to be super expensive .Some even present family heirlooms or antique rings as engagement rings purely because of the sentimental and personal value attached to said actions . To go and possibly blag a jewellery item as special and personal as an engagement ring for free just seems so cold and impersonal. I don't care if anyone else comes on here and says it's money smart on their part, some things should come from the heart irrespective of the price.

It's tacky. Especially when you don't have to put your hand into your pocket that much. She'll have that ring for life and everytime she looks at it she will think "freebie", whereas others will look at theirs and admire it in a different light, and think how lucky they are to own such a gorgeous ring that their partner put so much thought and effort into buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

"Will you marry me?"

*flashes super white perfect smile courtesy of being blogger boyfriend*

"Yes! Let's take a selfie!"

"Ok but stick this on quick and mention the jewellers loads cos If you don't they'll make me pay for that."

:-D

It's tacky. Especially when you don't have to put your hand into your pocket that much. She'll have that ring for life and everytime she looks at it she will think "freebie", whereas others will look at theirs and admire it in a different light, and think how lucky they are to own such a gorgeous ring that their partner put so much thought and effort into buying.

Exactly Anna. No sense of it being personal and from the heart if deals were being struck for some sort of deal/possible freebie

Same here I know a girl who works there she said the same thing free in return for advertisement.
    Same with a couple I know providing for the wedding sad really takes away the whole romance and intimacy of a wedding.
    All for show

It takes away from the whole sentiment. It's so crass to use something as special as your engagement and your wedding as one endless promotion, so classless.
    If she snapchats that wedding and any company who provided for them then shame on her.
    What's the bet the hotel, hairdresser, make up artist, florist, wedding band, the bridal shop, all get a special mention:D.

What happened to an old fashioned thank you card send privately lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

It takes away from the whole sentiment. It's so crass to use something as special as your engagement and your wedding as one endless promotion, so classless.
    If she snapchats that wedding and any company who provided for them then shame on her.
    What's the bet the hotel, hairdresser, make up artist, florist, wedding band, the bridal shop, all get a special mention:D.

What happened to an old fashioned thank you card send privately lol.

The wedding singer is already someone that's a prominent snapchatter. I quite like the singer but it will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out. The wedding reminds me of those charity mock weddings that used to be all the rage years ago. I'll be very interested to see who/what gets plugged.

Let's hope the engagement ring blogger isn't reading this and nobody gets fired for blabbing from that jewellers.

• Advertisement

The wedding singer is already someone that's a prominent snapchatter. I quite like the singer but it will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out. The wedding reminds me of those charity mock weddings that used to be all the rage years ago. I'll be very interested to see who/what gets plugged.

Really I didn't know that, id say everyone and anyone will be plugged the priest and all will probably get a shout out lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement