Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad (Naming bloggers means a ban!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pocketrocket1

I do feel that this thread is having an impact and the more transparency the better. the likes of the Banana Girl, the teacher,the scarf girl, the cherry girl, and a few others influence me ( and I use that term lightly cause I do read lots of reviews and try samples out ) more than any of the ones that are making a fortune!

I really hope 2017 seems a return to reviews and blogs rather than snapchat. Snapchat and the lack of #ad has really tarnished blogging, which I feel is unfair on those that actually take time to write detailed reviews. Many bloggers still do that and while we can't list them here, they come up again and again in the bloggers recommendations thread.

prs have a lot to answer to, as they are just throwing product at influencers that have it up in a competition anyways . A quick flash on snapchat is all they want anymore, they hold hardly any value for tried and tested, detailed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

The teacher has had a downward spiral imo she used to be so honest and true maybe now having an extra mouth to feed she just shows everything she gets

Who is the scarf one ??? Is that Mrs poco

• Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

ratmouse wrote: »
    There are two bloggers that are good friends and appear to be good friends also with the red haired blogger who now lives in New York .Their instagram accounts look so professional in comparison to the so called leading bloggers. Obviously we can't name names but both their names being with L. I'm actually shocked that they are not the leading bloggers in Ireland and they seem to #as and #sp a good bit. One has the blog name Love L..... And the Other is L..... C..... One is blonde and one is brunette.

I know the ones. Their pics are nice but they seem incredibly dull in their 'style' & personalities... I don't want to be put to sleep by someone! I might have to look further afeild for an honest blogger with half a personality! Thanks xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I really hope 2017 seems a return to reviews and blogs rather than snapchat. Snapchat and the lack of #ad has really tarnished blogging, which I feel is unfair on those that actually take time to write detailed reviews. Many bloggers still do that and while we can't list them here, they come up again and again in the bloggers recommendations thread.
    I agree I think 2017 will see changes in the blogging sector in Ireland. Last year I could see the downward spiral that blogging took that ultimately gave rise to this much needed thread and discussion. IMO I think full time bloggers are flying by the seat of their pants, and I think this year will be a definitive year for them. They will either pull their socks up, take feedback from this thread and other discussions and act professionally or they will carry on as they are, non disclosures, working with any brand that offers and will fade into obscurity.

Most of the bloggers I follow have lives outside of blogging. They work full time, part time, self employed (not blog related) or stay at home mum. They don't generally show their families, their homes, their workplace, their dinner etc. I find that this gives them a better focus when it comes to the blog and social media. I also think it gains the respect of their readers / followers to have boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Wexy86

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    The teacher has had a downward spiral imo she used to be so honest and true maybe now having an extra mouth to feed she just shows everything she gets

I really like teacher blogger would have called her one of my favs but slowly losing intrest, think it's as she's doing the mammy snaps and that. I see she has posted on her fb page about TK maxx home aware stuff, no # but Kerry blogger has just recently wokred with them and MUA blogger not too long ago too. I'd be disappointed if this was a collaboration and she never declared it but it does seem very suss and random. And if I hear one more time about 'I'll be on unpaid leave from January' sounds like she's looking for brands to get in contact for paid work with her which is fine but just be more up front and professional about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm so confused and don't think I'm following those being discussed here. Maybe someone wouldn't mind mailing me so I can get up to speed? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's an article about bloggers' non-declaration of benefit-in-kind in today's Irish Mail on Sunday. Interesting reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To be honest I roll my eyes at most bloggers, absolute doses that they are. However, I genuinely like teacher blogger. I love the fact she doesn't parade her child around on social media, I love the fact we're not hearing details about every minute bit of her day as a mother on maternity leave. She didn't use her pregnancy for freebies, in fact when she announced her pregnancy she looked almost ready to drop. She's a genuinely nice person which is evident in her snaps. She will always recommend where you can get the best deal on things (even when the original has been #ad. She's not afraid to name disappointing products or let downs.
    I saw the tk maxx snaps and the fact she can't buy anything else or she'd be shot, and took them at face value because to me, she's truthful. She's disclosed when she worked with the makeup, when she spoke at the beauty show, different treatments she has done, and when she's sent things. That moisture bomb mask was sent to her and then a follower sent her that they were on sale in boots super cheap so she posted the screen grab. That's more for her followers than a company, in my opinion.

She comes across as the kind of person you'd feel like you knew all your life, she's chatty. I think sometimes she'll snap stuff and talk to us like she's our friend. How is her tk maxx any different to scarf girl going around pennies and arnotts on a Saturday with her mam and sister? They're just showing us something. Now if it was pushy constant or followed 10 other exact same snaps from other people, I'd be suspicious but I don't think what she did was any different to me snapping the troll Jammies with the hair I found in pennies, which I wasn't sponsored to do either.

As for the maternity end posts, she's up on top of unpaid leave, I see her making jokes about it. It's a big deal for her, she's quite open, it'll explain why she wouldn't be buying crazy amounts of products in the coming months, I wouldn't see it as looking for collaborations unlike how the Birthday Girl comes right out and asks for it.

I think the suspicion is good but I'm wondering if it's reading too much into bloggers who have never given us any reason to doubt them? I for one would not attempt to tar the teacher with the same brush as currys blogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I think she's very honest tbh. I also don't think it's fair to read into her mentioning unpaid leave, it's a huge deal when you're used to working full-time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMarie1210

Can't watch the curry's blogger anymore. Just feel like it's an invasion of privacy every single family occasion all over Snapchat for the world to see. There's no cut off from social media.

Also did anyone else notice this morning how a blonde mum of one little boy mentioned theyou were invited to taste a brunch menu and a red haired fitness blogger was also at the brunch this morning but never mentioned being invited to taste menu ?

I presume if your invited to taste a menu your not paying ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DMarie1210 wrote: »

Correct. You're comped the meal and often the drinks. I will frequently get invites to taste / sample menus. If they want a blog post in return, then I don't accept as I consider that as a payment in kind.

If they simply ask you along to taste, with no obligations, then I sometimes accept depending on schedule etc. If I do tweet about it, or mention it on SM, I will always make it clear I was invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

DMarie1210 wrote: »
    Can't watch the curry's blogger anymore. Just feel like it's an invasion of privacy every single family occasion all over Snapchat for the world to see. There's no cut off from social media.

Also did anyone else notice this morning how a blonde mum of one little boy mentioned theyou were invited to taste a brunch menu and a red haired fitness blogger was also at the brunch this morning but never mentioned being invited to taste menu ?

It looks like people are noticing what the currys blogger is up to, if you type her name into twitter the amount of tweets she's had in relation to her not putting #ad ect on her social media.

I was wondering the same thing about being paid for that brunch. Is saying you were invited a way of getting around not having to #ad, once you mention the company show the menu ect is that not essentially an ad.

I don't know who red haired blogger is, but I'm sure it's no coincidence that she was there. The fact the other blogger mentioned she was invited highlights that
    The other blogger is misleading her followers.

That's how currys/baby formula blogger was noticed, because most of the other bloggers were putting the hashtag on their snaps and Instagram and she never did it .

dudara wrote: »
    Correct. You're comped the meal and often the drinks. I will frequently get invites to taste / sample menus. If they want a blog post in return, then I don't accept as I consider that as a payment in kind.

If they simply ask you along to taste, with no obligations, then I sometimes accept depending on schedule etc. If I do tweet about it, or mention it on SM, I will always make it clear I was invited.

in regards to the big social influencers mentioning they were invited for brunch is one thing, but snapping menus and food and drinks ect on top of all that, I don't think all that would be done for just a free brunch.
    These top bloggers charge by the amount of snaps and mentions on twitter ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I like teacher blogger and I've actually used some of her tips with success.
    However, I roll my eyes a little when she's going on about being on unpaid leave when she's chosen this, and has spent a lot on high end products, hair extensions and the like since having her baby. I know she has said she's paying for things and I'm sure she's hardly on the breadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Strangely there is an article in the Sunday Tines. Tourism Ireland contracted two bloggers to doccument their holiday - but neglected to say they had been paid. Jesus even state agencies are in breach of the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 39 heretogetreal

Can someone DM me who the teacher blogger is? Thanks

IRE60 wrote: »
    Strangely there is an article in the Sunday Tines. Tourism Ireland contracted two bloggers to doccument their holiday - but neglected to say they had been paid. Jesus even state agencies are in breach of the rules

Really will any of these people or the company dealt with.
    I highly doubt it .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cria wrote: »
    in regards to the big social influencers mentioning they were invited for brunch is one thing, but snapping menus and food and drinks ect on top of all that, I don't think all that would be done for just a free brunch.
    These top bloggers charge by the amount of snaps and mentions on twitter ect.

It could well be done for a free brunch. In order to continue to receive invites, press releases, samples etc, bloggers have to to keep themselves in the forefront of the PR agencies. I'm not condoning it in any way (in fact, I get very tired of repetitive tweets from the same group of people), but I can believe it.

There are a couple of scenarios I can think of... and only one scenario is covered under current guidelines.

(1) Blogger is paid directly (i.e. cash changes hands) for blog post or social media content
    This is the case that this covered by guidelines, and must be clearly labelled #ad or #spon. Any case where money has changed hands and is not labelled is in clear violation.

(2) Blogger does not receive financial payment but has agreed to produce social media or blog content in return for goods/services.
    This is not covered by the guidelines. For me, it's a grey area as the blogger has received "payment in kind" for producing content and I believe it should be labelled clearly. I don't accept any offers of this kind ever, as I have always wanted to keep my blog free of commercial influence.

(3) Blogger simply receives products / services with no expectation of content in return
    In this scenario, the blogger is free to do as they choose. However, it's also a potential minefield. Do too much of this and you look like you're promoting. This is the only scenario I will engage in, and even then I'm very conscious of how much content I produce. I want the audience to be clear that I received the item/service for free and I don't want to overwhelm them with it.

There's a lot more information here.

lazygal wrote: »
    I like teacher blogger and I've actually used some of her tips with success.
    However, I roll my eyes a little when she's going on about being on unpaid leave when she's chosen this, and has spent a lot on high end products, hair extensions and the like since having her baby. I know she has said she's paying for things and I'm sure she's hardly on the breadline.

But she hasn't said she was? She's taking unpaid maternity leave like many people choose to do. She's under no obligation to explain or defend her decision. There was 2 wages, now there will be one. The only people need worry about her expenditure is herself and her husband. She hasn't asked anyone else to fund her staying at home. You never see her out at those free lunches etc other people go to, she's never asking for brands getting in touch. She's stated this is her hobby and not her job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Did anyone see the article in the Mail today? Looks like the ASAI and the Revenue are watching after all, if you can believe anything in the Mail that is! We may not be able to name then here but he mail has gone with the name and shame approach.

Can't attach screen shot of it for some reason!

ETA: the Currys TV got a mention. Oh God scarlet for them. The journalist is very obviously following this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Can someone pm me the name of the teacher blogger

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Here's the article.
    Surprised at some of the names who wouldn't comment.

Lol at the declining to comment, when the blogger has no problem being so upfront and outspoken elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Lol at the declining to comment, when the blogger has no problem being so upfront and outspoken elsewhere

I was surprised to read this tbh. Maybe it's because the paper in question isn't something I'd wipe my bum with? Had it been another paper maybe there'd have been a comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loulou87

Just read the mail article. Hopefully it will make irish bloggers cop on.
    No memtion of the fitness 'fairy's' car when she calls herself a 'Renault ambassador' and has done for over a year!

I was surprised to read this tbh. Maybe it's because the paper in question isn't something I'd wipe my bum with? Had it been another paper maybe there'd have been a comment?

Maybe. Though personally that blogger is pretty much the one blogger I can't stand. The only thing bearable about her snaps was her dog. She was a complete hyprocite. People with psoriasis are inbred and I'm a feminist, how dare ring girls be objectified but omg look at all those hot men. Rent a gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Looks like that article's info came right out of this thread! :)
    Surprised that the "honest blogger" who usually comments here refused to comment about the car when they asked her to.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Maybe. Though personally that blogger is pretty much the one blogger I can't stand. The only thing bearable about her snaps was her dog. She was a complete hyprocite. People with psoriasis are inbred and I'm a feminist, how dare ring girls be objectified but omg look at all those hot men. Rent a gob.

Oh the psoriasis thing! I had forgotten about that but she's not wrong. It's the same reason our cystic fibrosis rate per capita is so high, it's because we are all inbreds! (Small gene pool / same thing).

I quite like her. She's very forthcoming with # ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

anna080 wrote: »
    Looks like that article's info came right out of this thread! :) Well done boardsies!
    Surprised that the "honest blogger" who usually comments here refused to comment about the car when they asked her to.

She has snapped that she will no longer have the car after this week (I think), wonder if that's due to the information in this article re. The Revenue. It's interesting timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Okay so I now know who Currys girl is after that article! Still don't know about the teacher blogger.
    Disappointed in one of those featured in the article that declined to comment. Always thought she'd have the courage and balls to say it as it is. Decreased in my estimations.

In general, I don't think they are all upfront about their sponsored/ad posts.

It's that lack of transparency which frustrates followers and will negatively affect them in the long run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement