Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭healy1835

@demfad Thanks for that Turlough. A few very interesting points in there. Your take on getting comfortable and consistent on effort and pace is something I've probably drifted from lately. I'd say it's partially down to the fact that I'm not at full tilt atm and probably am introducing harder routes and inclement weather conditions both to get more bang for buck in these efforts, but also a little because I can't just casually bang out sub 60 milers like I was a few months ago!

Great to see you back logging again.

Post edited by healy1835 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That Sunday session sounds tough. Fair play for getting it done, regardless of the pace. Would you normally stop to take the gels? Strategizing my own plan for practicing in training.

When I say stop, it's literally get the water and gel thats stashed in a hedge and then take them on the run...

• Advertisement

Ah ok I get you. I think its something i'll struggle with to be honest. Taking them at marathon pace seems like it'll be a challenge for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I usually do loops from the car and try to time it that I’m not in the middle of fast stuff to get the gel and drinks in. Stop about half a minute.

Well i have a flipbelt so accessing the gels isn't the issue. Ingesting them at pace replicating race day is something I'd worry about

Right, I never tried one of those I’d imagine it would annoy me while running. I get shorts with pockets and so two in each side and one in the back pocket. If they feel heavy then I run with 1 in each hand. Found it not too bad even if it is a bit simple.

To be honest the flipbelt is a godsend. It's tight and you wouldn't really know its there. Nothing moves around much in it. I think gels moving around in pockets would wreck my head. I also have a pair of decathlon shorts with a zip pocket similar to the flipbelt.

• Advertisement

These really are the business, pricey now, but the business. Back zip pocket, mesh overlay around the waistband. You can run with 4/5 gels very comfortably. Best piece of kit I've bought in a long time. Very light material too.

The first pair might be a little long for some tastes. They come in a split short version too 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Duanington

Might pick up those shorts, I've always tucked the gels in to wristbands for easy access but only started doing that because I could never find shorts that could hold a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Wottle

I used this belt in Seville, the zipper fitted 7 gels and the back netting allowed me 2x250ml soft flasks. The belt is very light and snug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great session today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Have you ever actually went to one of those principles gatherings :)

Inevitably with these occasions there's some parts of the day that are, how can I say it, actually worthwhile. There are other parts that are, ahem, not. On this occasion, I don't drink coffee and didn't need to meditate 😉 Roll on a 2 day conference in Citywest in May. You might be getting a text...

Never in doubt....Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great run, you should feel confident after that.

So what's the verdict on the Alphaflys? I have a brand new pair sitting in a box waiting to be used...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Very nicely done man definitely compliments your previous big sessions. In terms of confidence I think you are in a perfect spot. Training at this stage should be hard and raise doubts, that's what the next 8 weeks is about, building that fitness. If you were confident now its either a soft goal or you have already hit purple patch either way training should be a slog now that needs to be gritted through to build that fitness.

That Sunday run was all the more impressive considering the week you had. Sorry again to hear about Bella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

its a horrible feeling to lose a dog, even calling her 'dog' doesn't do justice to what they bring to the family - total unconditional love.

I lost mine 4 years ago, we still talk about her every day, despite having a new dog (.......after saying never again).

No doubt you'll get the phone memories and FB memories pop up every now and then - you'll smile and will always remember Bella fondly.

That;s a very nice session. I take it odd is the upward slope? Out of curiosity did you begin on the harder one for any reason other than coming to it first? Just interested

Yep, the odd is upward alright. There was no real thought behind it this time. More to do with the window that I had for the session, didn't realise the actual time of day until about a mile into the warm up so I started a bit earlier than planned to make sure I wasn't late collecting little people! I'd often maybe change session to something like 8x1k instead and get in a decent warm up and cool down, but I really wanted to get the ten reps in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to see this J. Especially so close to Limerick. Looking forward to following the DCM training - there's a serious time in there, if and when everything clicks into place. Hard to resist the temptation to rush back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭browne_rob5

Ah that's very disappointing to read Johnny. Was looking forward to seeing you down in Limerick.

I figured it was the dreaded Covid when I hadn't seen any activity from you. Glad to hear you are back running at least and hope you recover fully soon.

So much Covid and other stuff going around at the moment. I have a head cold myself for the last week that I cant shake but have been able to run easy and managed to get a session in yesterday.

Advertisement