Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

"Ran behind some dude for a mile or so with a bluetooth speaker in his pocket that was thumping out tunes!" - I bet it's the same fella I did the first half of DCM with last year, dear god it's annoying, it took an age to get clear of him 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Passed a guy in Berlin with similar, had the speaker jammed somewhere Ito his hydration vest. Super annoying music choices! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Friday 29th September: 10k Easy: 51:06 @5:06/km

Wore the 1080v12's for this one. I think that the Nike Invincibles have sort of ruined other easy shoes for me. Maybe it's just where I am with my fitness levels at the moment, where I'm either running hard or easy with not much steady or steadier easy stuff in there. It's not that I don't like the shoes, it's just that I spent most of the run thinking I'd prefer if the Invincibles were on the feet.

Saturday 30th September: 5 Miles Easy: 41:13 @5:07/km

Very comfortable run in a downpour. Wore my beloved Invincibles.

Sunday 1st October: LR: 22 Miles: 2E/8MP+10/2E/8MP/2E: 2:34:59 @4:23/km

October has arrived which always focuses the mind when one has Dublin on the agenda. Was looking forward to this one, as I have for the majority of LR's in recent times. I'm just enjoying being back and being lucky enough to do what I love I suppose.

Up at 5:30 to have some porridge. Out the door around 7:30am, and again my injured running buddy was happy to accompany me on the bike. Same route as 21 Miler from a couple of weeks back with a little extra Lidl loop early on to make up the extra distance.

The route for the 8 steady is nice for the first 4 miles and then takes a more sinister turn with a couple of ropey drags. Aiming for 4:20 average, so I tried to bank a little time in those easier miles. (6:53, 6:55, 6:52, 6:51 for a 4:17/km ave). Navigated the trickier miles pretty well, trying not to veer into marathon effort but still working hard up the drags (6:59, 6:58, 7:02, 6:59 for a 4:21/km ave). Sharp downhill at the end of the last mile wasn't really welcome, but I was happy to average 4:19/km whilst simulataneously pondering my ability to up the pace to 4:12/km's (6:46/mile) for the MP section.

At this juncture I ventured to Ferg on the bike that I had some misgivings about the Alphaflys I had chosen to wear. I'd decided a way back, that I would wear the Vaporflys for the HM session and the Alphaflys for this run (which was originally due to be on the DCM course but that just didn't pan out) and decide. There's just too much shoe for me. It's not neccesarily the weight, more the area of the sole. There's too much contact on the ground. I'm not a very elegant runner, more of a plodder, despite the bounce that it is definitely there with the shoes, I feel like I'm plodding the whole time in them.

Anyway, the MP miles would have a long drag at the start and then a killer of hill, about 500m and that I would regularly use for hill sessions, about 2k from the end which was fun. Started into the effort with a 6:46 mile, the next mile up the drag came in at 6:58. As I'd average pace for the step on the watch I set about working my way back up to 4:12/km pace. This was achieved but I went too far the other way! 6:28, 6:31, 6:38, 6:29 & 6:38 miles followed as the average pace gradually went up. These miles didn't feel like it wasn't marathon effort. I was happy to maintain the pace as I didn't feel like I was pushing the boat put. It's the feeling I'm hoping to have in the 2nd half of DCM; tired, working hard but feeling good about holding this effort. Gurned my way up the hill at the end, tough going I have to say, but got moving again later to close with a 6:49 mile for a 4:09/km average for the MP miles.

Ambled down the road for the 2 miles cool down and finished content with my morning's work. I won't be averaging 4:09/km for DCM, but I definitely feel I could finish the race at that pace if we have a good day at the office. But that type of talk and planning is for another day. Still a couple of weeks to navigate my way through.

104km for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

"Maybe it's just where I am with my fitness levels at the moment, where I'm either running hard or easy with not much steady or steadier easy stuff in there"

I'm saying nutin'

• Advertisement

Monday 2nd October: 10k Easy: 53:40@5:22/km

Tuesday 3rd October: 10.1k Easy: 51:00@5:02/km

Wednesday 4th October: 10k Easy: 51:54@5:11/km

Nothing to report from any of the above. Glad of the extra easy day. Definitely felt this week that I was nearing the end of the block and looking forward to getting to race.

Thursday 5th October: Session 15 Miles: 4E/4St/4MP/2MP+/1E: 1:46:54 @4:26/km

Didn't get out until after 6 on a really filthy evening. Probablt hadn't fuelled enough but it was an akward sort of day and I was doing well to fit it in at all. Bit down and headed out on the loop in the Curragh and navigated my way throughthe session. 

Averaged 4:26/4:10/3:58 for the St/MP/MP+ sections. Felt pretty crap during the steady miles, but once I got going during the MP section I started to feel decent. Cream crackered by the end.

Friday 6th October: 5k Easy: 27:22 @5:28/km

Just a little leg stretcher. Felt slow.

Saturday 7th October: 7 Miles inc 5 Steady: 52:04@4:37/km

If the intention was to tire the legs for the following day's LR then I didn't actually need the 5 steady miles as the legs were already there. Felt better after the run though. 4:27/km average for the steady section.

Sunday 8th October: LR: 20 Miles: 2WU/(4St/4MP x2)/2CD: 2:23:47 @4:28/km

*Spoiler: This Indian summer can f off back to India.

If there was any temptation to look past this 20 Miler due to the decrease in length on previous weeks' LRs then the heat and general levels of tiredness meant there was no chance of this.

Chose a pretty tough route as per other weeks with an extra couple of drags included. In line with Thursday's session, felt like crap during the steady miles and positively chipper for (most of) the MP miles. Really felt the heat during the last MP set of miles, and was working very hard here. All in all though, another good LR session in the bag. Average paces for the two 4St/4MP sections were; (4:31,4:12/km & 4:31,4:11/km)

104k for the week

Feeling relatively calm about DCM at this point in time. Well, calm in a not worrying about it sense. I *am* looking forward to the big day.

Monday 9th October: 8.2k Recovery: 43:24@5:18/km

Tuesday 10th October: 8.2k Easy inc 2x5x20secs strides: 45:26@5:31/km

Wednesday 11th October: Session 4x1k/1k/1k: 10 Miles: 1:08:03@4:13/km

Tight for time due to one or two things cropping up unexpectedly. Decided I'd just shorten the warm up and cool down and leave the planned session intact.

Tentative plan was to make each 3k set progressive with 4:15/4:05/3:55 being the prescribed paces. Had been feeling pretty leggy on the Mon and Tue, but felt great on this one. Each set seemed to fly by and more often than not I found myself having to row back on the pace. Splits were;

1: 4:10, 4:01, 3:51

2. 4:03, 4:00, 3:48

3. 4:04, 4:03, 3:50

4. 4:08, 4:01, 3:48

Cool down to bring up 10 Miles for the day. Tipping nicely.

Thursday 12th October: 8.2k: 45:17 @5:31/km

Shuffle.

Friday 13th October: Rest. I am sort of tapering I suppose. Didn't feel like it this week. 

Saturday 14th October: 8 Miles Inc 4 steady: 1:00:38@4:42/km

Steady miles averaged 4:30/km. Felt decent by the end of the run.

Sunday 15th October: LR: 17Miles: 2WU/6MP/1E/6MP/2CD

2:00:17 @4:24/km

Took myself down to Monasterevin to a buddy to do this on the canal towpath. He was on the bike and was on drinks and gels duty. A beautiful morning, crisp and cold with no wind. You'd be happy if there was a repeat of the weather in two weeks time.

The route was a nice change to previous LRs too with the flat towpath, save for a couple of bridges to navigate. Once I got into a rhythm the miles flew by. The two MP sections averaged 4:12/km & 4:09/km and I felt tired and pretty good at the end.

81k for the week. Ready to taper now.

104k last week/ 81k this week.

Defo taper. Glad you didn't feel that way. Need to hold the intensity & drop volume.

In other news, I'm selling a dog. PM me for details.

Update: Decided to keep the dog.

Monday 16th October: Rest

Resisted urge to run with some difficulty.

Tuesday 17th October: 5 Miles Easy Inc 6x20secs strides: 43:30@5:24/km

Strides woke up the legs nicely.

Wednesday 18th October: 12 Miles Inc 5.2k + 2.5k @MP: 1:27:39 @4:33/km

Managed to manouever a window to get up early and session on DCM route. Great idea in theory, but ended up not hydrating at all and feeling pretty meh. The main idea was to just reaquaint myself with the first 10 miles or so and remind myself of the need to start very conservatively. Parked on the North Road and waited until it was somewhat bright and tipped away down towards the James Joyce bridge. Plan was to go with a marathon effort from the bridge the whole way through Castleknock, then easy until the turn in Chapelizod with a final marathon effort until Kilmainham.

Had some dodgy GPS signal for first 3/400 meters through Stoneybatter, so the first 6:55 mile was faster, maybe a lot faster as I definitely over compensated to get back on pace. 6:47, 6:44, 6:44 miles followed up Chesterfield Avenue. Found myself having to reign myself in a bit here and the legs felt pretty good. 7 minute mile up to the highest point of the DCM course in Castleknock followed. Got caught a bit with traffic, commuters, leaves etc here but it certainly reminded me that the section outside the PP is a sneaky little drag. Averaged 4:15/km pace for the section which was probably a little faster due to the Stoneybatter section.

Things started to get harder after this. The drop in pace for the easy miles down Tower Road and back down the Glen in the PP was just a bit grim. Legs started to feel really heavy and by the time I got to the bottom of the drag in Chapelizod and was faced with a upping the pace to Kilmainham, I wasn't felling it at all!

Went as hard as I thought was necessary but didn't push to get on marathon pace. It's another sneaky little patch of the route, so all in all whilst I wasn't exactly rampaging my way through the session, I was glad I did it. The 2k back to the car were just pure misery! Once I got some breakfast on board I was feeling a lot better. Will be better prepared next time I run those roads :)

Thursday 19th October: 5 Miles Easy: 42:35 @5:17/km

Friday 20th October: 5 Miles Easy: 45:37 @5:40/km

With a buddy who is running DCM. Good catch up.

Saturday 21st October: Long Run: 19.7km: 1:30:00 @4:34/km

Plan was for 30E/30MP/30E. Didn't get out until late in the afternoon. Felt good for the most part, last 30 mins were a bit of a drag. I'd reached the end of my good will towards this training block and just wanted to start tapering properly and get to next Sunday as quickly as possible.

4:39/km (told off for this pace, wasn't intentional to run that quick), 4:11/km & 4:55/km for each of the 30min sections.

Sunday 22nd October: 7k Easy: 37:25@5:21/km

70k for the week. Looking forward to the race now I'm happy to report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice work J. Good idea with the first part of route. There really are some drags in there, that are probably not respected enough. They don't seem so bad when in a huge group though. Go well the rest of week and may bump into ya Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck J, rooting for you to do well😊 Your training has been spot on now reap the rewards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Best of luck J. Enjoy the day, looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour pay off on Sunday. Give it socks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

That's one lucky dog to get away with that 😮

Best of luck on Sunday, hope it's a good one!

Week is dragging a little bit but feeling pretty good. Legs felt great on 3MP + 4x200 mini session yesterday. If you told me in January that I'd be toeing the line in DCM at all, never mind in something resembling a fit state, I probably wouldn't have believed you. I'm not trying to insert an easy failsafe for Sunday by saying that whatever happens in the race is a bonus, but that is 100% the frame of mind I am in. I never felt that getting back into sub 3 shape was a realistic target when I started the block, but I'm definitely in the place now where if I have a good day, I'll dip under.

Not going after sub 2:45 or a PB is liberating to an extent, but you always put a certain amount of pressure on yourself to get a result that does justice to your fitness. The pace doesn't hold any fears for me, I've done it many times in the past. The route doesn't either as I know it well enough at this stage and, barring any late weather events, the race strategy will be very similar to my last DCM in '19.

I've gotten fit enough to run a marathon again. I'm running again and enjoying it. 2024 will be a year where hopefully I can start thinking about doing justice to the title of this log. This Sunday is just about enjoying (well, as much as one can a marathon!) the race and getting the best time the marathon gods allow me on the day. Best of luck to everyone else on here too.

PS: @Lambay island, I expect to see no part of you on the course, but hopefully I won't be too far behing you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Week would be dragging if you're a United fan and were watching their champions league effort this week 😂

I'm looking forward to Sunday and I'm not even running. Best of luck.

"I'm running again and enjoying it."

This line for me says it all🤗

Hey - this guy ran a near perfect DCM back in 2019.

A very decent negative split too - maybe have a read and take some notes :)

Near perfect for sure😊

But if you want perfection you can just check out my recent marathon 😜🤣

• Advertisement

2:58:57

I've run faster. I'll run a lot faster in the future. But that was the most satisfying. A great morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done J, brilliant that you enjoyed it so much. Smashing run.

Dublin Marathon 2023

I'll post later on in the week about the block and comeback as a whole, but the race report will suffice for today.

Preamble:

Expo passed without drama. Met the great Macphisto in person for the first time on the way back to the car. 

The Friday and Saturday really dragged this time around, and the carb load was tough work. It served its purpose though and had no worries on that side of things.

Very light sleep Saturday, struggled to stay awake watching the rugby but by midnight I was watching the Ngannou Fury fight! 

Up at 5am to organise myself and be ready for a lift at 6am. Buddy who was giving me the lift works on Merrion square directly beside the bag drop so once again I had a pretty sweet set up pre race. About 10 mins before leaving I checked the battery percentage of my watch...90% 'Not bad, but sure I'll just stick it on charge quickly and bring it up to 100%'. You can probably see where this is going. Fast forward to entering the aforementioned office in Merrion Square and me realising that I'd left the watch at home.

Unbelievable. Luckily, my buddy's watch had about 50% battery left and as he was running between a couple of locations with gels and water for me, he didn't need it.

Stressful 10 mins as I tried and failed to change his auto lap to miles instead of KMs. The Garmin connect app on his iPhone was different to the android version, so it was decided for me that I would be running in KMs.

Composed myself, listened to a 7 min segment of an episode of the Inside Running Podcast that I mentioned a while back. It served as just a reminder to leave the ego behind and that real bravery in marathons isn't going out hard and slowing or just clinging on. It's going out conservatively and having the confidence to know that a lot of the runners flying by will be coming back to me later.

The Race:

The plan in a nutshell was, 4:15 kms down to James Joyce bridge and then 4:20's up until the high point of the course in Castleknock. I was prepared to be anything up to a minute behind the 3 hr balloons after 7 miles and gradually up the pace and get ahead and stay ahead of the pacers.

Found myself ahead of the balloons in the pen, and probably was about 8-10 seconds ahead of them over the start line. Kept a mental note of that just in case margins tightened up late in the race.

The usual chaos of the first few hundred metres took place. Kept out of any trouble and made sure the hand brake was firmly applied as the generous course profile down to the Liffey always has the capacity to get one moving too quickly. 

4:14, 4:11 & 4:16 kms got me to Stoneybatter. Managed to avoid a couple of random pedestrians who tried to cross through the throngs of runners and nearly took out a couple of people. These miles were enjoyable and tough at the same time. Was conscious to take in all the atmosphere, but it was difficult slowing up and letting runners go by. Whilst I was confident in my plan, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a couple of fleeting doubts. 4:18 & 4:23 kms through to the PP.

Pace group steamed by me just as we approached Garda HQ. Had another buddy out on the course on a bike and he met me just before the 5 Mile mark with a water and gel. In a glorious coincidence AMK was also here in the PP, so the lads had a quick intro and then cycled next to me for a couple of kms up Chesterfield Avenue cracking jokes at my expense! 4:09 (way off), 4:16, 4:20, 4:16 kms for this section and I really was backing off. I found myself looking forward to getting through Castleknock so I could let the legs go a little

At this point I'll go off on a little tangent. The mile markers seemed to be way out at times, much more than I ever remember in previous years. I know they can't be exact, but they just seemed to be very erratically positioned which made it tricky to judge how far back I was at times.

Official 10km Split of 43:06

That had me 36 seconds down on Sub 3 pace. On the course working off the 7 mile marker I was 63 seconds down. Through Castleknock in 4:14 & 4:12 kms and then took advantage of the downhill. I had to check myself here and not get too excited. The balloons were coming back to me very quickly as I threw in 4:08, 4:07, 4:10 & 4:08 kms down Tower Road and the Upper Glen back inside the PP. Whilst I was wary of winding things up too early, I decided entering Chapelizod that I was going to sit behind the pace group on the couple of drags up to  Kilmainham and then try and get ahead of them.

Took it very handy up St Laurence's, 4:27km. The vista here of the foggy early morning sunshine and steam coming off the runners was pretty cool and even though it's a sharp little drag, I really enjoyed it. Credit to Irish Life too for the cowbells they were handing out too. Made for a great atmosphere.

I'd be dubious about the 4:09, 4:06, 4:06 kms that Strava had me pencilled in for up to 20k, but I was eating up road and feeling very good here.

Official 20k Split 1:25:10 (42:04)

I tipped ahead of the 3 hour group on the South Circular Road. I debated just sitting in with them through Crumlin, but I was feeling amazing and the minute or two I spent in the pack sort of annoyed me, so I made a little move and away I went towards the Half Way point. Official half way split was 1:29:58. The 10k from 20k to 30k were pretty much perfect. Was pulling away from the balloons and passing a lot of people. I'd committed to going for home this early, slightly risky, but it wasn't like I was churning out crazy fast splits either. Wife and Kids were just past the Submarine Bar in Walkinstown so that was a nice distraction. Walkinstown, Terenure all full of great support. 

Official 30k Split 2:07:14 (42:04) How do you like those last two 10 splits?

Heading towards Milltown I found myself, like everyone else, pondering what awaited me at the business end of things. I was beginning to tire a little and my calves were starting to let their feelings known to me. I just tried to keep in a rhythm and work off people around me. Milltown passed without incident, pace still fine. Was doing some mental arithmetic as I approached Clonskeagh and I reckoned I had about 45 seconds in the bag. So I'm thinking that worst case scenario, 4:22's would still see me home. The Clonskeagh/Roebuck stretch was tough and I got a real scare when I got a bit of a stinger in the right calf and for about 20 seconds I thought that my race might be ran. But it bubbled back down and threateningly stayed in the background for the rest of the race. 4:21 and 4:25 kms got me to the top of the hill and thankfully I followed them up with 4:08, 4:09 and 4:04 kms. It was mind over matter at this stage. My mate on the bike observed that I was a bit pale over the last couple of miles which was a sign I was digging very deep. 

Official 40k Split 2:49:17 (42:03) So close to 3 consecutive identical 10k splits!

The last couple of kms in a marathon have never not hurt, and this was no exception. I was tired and the right calf was definitely under a bit of pressure, but I knew I had the A goal in the bag. Enjoyed the Purple Mile and maintained a sub 3 pace until the end.

Crossed the line in 2:58:57, a very satisfied man. Just about to board a plane to Fuerteventura with the family here now, so will maybe post my overview from poolside with a nice cold cerveza at hand.

Finally, a big big hat tip to AMK who kindly and brilliantly took on coaching duties for the block. This whole show was nearly off the road for good, but Alan really did play a massive part in getting me back. A top top man.

Very well done and managed superbly! Enjoy the hols!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Great stuff - seems like a well executed day, many folks would have panicked at forgetting the watch but you brushed it off and trusted yourself. Great way to finish off what seems to have been a back to basics, very solid training block which hopefully you enjoyed. I might borrow the idea of listening to IRP before a race, some straight talking from Moose would surely focus the mind :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Well done Mr. Healy. A great race and a great report. Although the 42:03 is a bit of a blemish :P Enjoy the holidays. I think you may owe the aforementioned AMK a few pints of Guinness.

Looking forward to hearing your future plans, but don't worry about that right now....

That debt has been paid in willingness to do hard sessions, not questioning the plan (too much) and friendship,...................sorry I meant beer - craft beer and plenty of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Excellent lad well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats on the comeback, J - really really good to see you back putting the work in and getting the rewards from it too. You strike me as someone who gets a lot back from running so its bound to have a positive impact all around. I've watched your training from afar since the summer and you've been a model of consistency, it just shows you what people can achieve when the discipline\motivation\both kicks in, well done to you and to AMK.

Recover well

• Advertisement

"Johnny came to me as a 2.53 Marathoner............................."

Advertisement