Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is everyone bricking it or nawh?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

TSMGUY wrote: »
    That's me screwed then!

Well see I only did LC HL Physics and Maths so I had to put more work into it because I didn't do Chemistry and Applied Maths for the LC.

First year is handy enough if you just study the week before.

Don't you want to do something in the Humanities field? You'll have max 13 hours a week so it won't be too intensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Well see I only did LC HL Physics and Maths so I had to put more work into it because I didn't do Chemistry and Applied Maths for the LC.

First year is handy enough if you just study the week before.

Don't you want to do something in the Humanities field? You'll have max 13 hours a week so it won't be too intensive.
    Yessir. Although I intend to study in the UK.

Shame, I'd love to have the bragging rights of a physicist.

Yessir. Although I intend to study in the UK.

Shame, I'd love to have the bragging rights of a physicist.

I remember you from the previous year's LC thread and you were still really good at it?

Anyway, hope you get it.

I remember you from the previous year's LC thread and you were still really good at it?

Anyway, hope you get it.

That's the thing that pisses me off. I actually love physics and have a propensity for it but I know I lack the tenacity to study it seriously. I'll end up being one of those jerks who reads science for laymen books like A Brief Histoy of Time but never had the balls to get into the nitty gritty maths of it.

D'you mind if I send you a PM about your course? I'm pretty interested now tbh.

That's the thing that pisses me off. I actually love physics and have a propensity for it but I know I lack the tenacity to study it seriously. I'll end up being one of those jerks who reads science for laymen books like A Brief Histoy of Time but never had the balls to get into the nitty gritty maths of it.

D'you mind if I send you a PM about your course? I'm pretty interested now tbh.

Of course you can, I only finished first year so it's not too in depth.

Ironically, my teacher gave me a copy of ABHoT after the mocks and it made me want to study Physics. The one thing everyone in my course has in common is that we all genuinely have a love and interest in Physics, as opposed to some Engineering students who do it for the money or their parents made them.

• Advertisement

Of course you can, I only finished first year so it's not too in depth.

Ironically, my teacher gave me a copy of ABHoT after the mocks and it made me want to study Physics. The one thing everyone in my course has in common is that we all genuinely have a love and interest in Physics, as opposed to some Engineering students who do it for the money or their parents made them.

Engineers have no imagination. Physics is where Science and Philosophy intersect in one incredibly awesome subject. Engineering is just boring applied maths and mechanics.

I read ABHoT when I was 12, understood most of it and stupidly assumed that actual physics would be correspondingly simple. Boy, was I wrong.

Engineers have no imagination. Physics is where Science and Philosophy intersect in one incredibly awesome subject. Engineering is just boring applied maths and mechanics.

I read ABHoT when I was 12, understood most of it and stupidly assumed that actual physics would be correspondingly simple. Boy, was I wrong.

First year Physics in Ireland is essentially ABHoT but in all topics, the real stuff comes in second year really.

Physics is more imaginative, which can be a pain sometimes but it's great seeing a project you planned out come to fruition.

First year Physics in Ireland is essentially ABHoT but in all topics, the real stuff comes in second year really.

Physics is more imaginative, which can be a pain sometimes but it's great seeing a project you planned out come to fruition.

And in 4th year you unify relativity with QM, right?

And in 4th year you unify relativity with QM, right?

It'd be a fairly impressive FYP tbh.

Also, sorry everyone for going off on a tangent, we've gone to PMs now :p

Oh yeah, ****, sorry for derailing the thread with this little nerd fest:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

I'm bricking it too. Spent so many days trying to calculate what I got. Trying to remember the answers I wrote in some of my exams. But its not looking good. My number 1 choice is Computer Science TCD which requires 490 points. It looks like I may get just that amount but I doubt that it will see me into the course. My second and third choices are UCD Computer Science and Science Maynooth. I just hope UCD does not go up in points requirements because I would be left with only Maynooth which although a good course, I would prefer the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Who's staying up till like 6 on the day of the offers? I love reading through the old CAO offer threads loool :')

siebey123 wrote: »
    Who's staying up till like 6 on the day of the offers? I love reading through the old CAO offer threads loool :')
    Siebey!!!!!!!! Long time no see. I swear to God if I get an A in history it's because of your help.

I love reading the old results threads just to see gems like "I got 585 pts and I'm soooooo disappointed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Moodswings all over the place.

One hour I'm happy and confident I'm going to get my 1st choice, the next hour I'm accepting my 5th choice :o.

Whatever happens... happens. I'll be happy with ANY engineering course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be prepared for quite an anticlimax, until people start flapping about the college offers, then another anti-climax.

Don't forget you can apply to see the scripts and ask for a recheck if you think a mistake was made.

Siebey!!!!!!!! Long time no see. I swear to God if I get an A in history it's because of your help.

I love reading the old results threads just to see gems like "I got 585 pts and I'm soooooo disappointed."

Where are these threads, I want to read them.

Did anyone who think they did horrible in their exams in previous years actually come out with a nice surprise?

Hoping I don't get a Junior Cert repeat where I streak top results throughout the year only to end up with a D or C! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

Did anyone who think they did horrible in their exams in previous years actually come out with a nice surprise?

Hoping I don't get a Junior Cert repeat where I streak top results throughout the year only to end up with a D or C! :o
    The marking schemes will most likely have been altered this year more than ever with the likes of biology,accounting,Irish paper 2,app maths etc being found so difficult so I really hope so!

spurious wrote: »
    Be prepared for quite an anticlimax, until people start flapping about the college offers, then another anti-climax.

Don't forget you can apply to see the scripts and ask for a recheck if you think a mistake was made.

How can I apply to see my exam scripts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

spurious wrote: »

The JC was a complete anticlimax too so another one wouldn't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Samurai12 wrote: »
    How can I apply to see my exam scripts?

There will be two sheets in the envelope you get on Wednesday.

One is your results, a page with a harp at the top of it and the other is a more cardboardy-type page which is a form for applying to view your scripts.

Be careful not to mix them up. One lists your real grades (harp one) and the other lists the subjects and levels you took (in Irish). This can cause confusion (and massive disappointment) if you are nervous and did all higher level subjects as A is for Ard and you will see A opposite each subject on the script viewing form.
    The results sheet looks like this:
    169779.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Elizabeth118

I'm feeling super nervous right now about two exams which are maths and religion but religion mostly because I answered 3 questions when I was only suppose to do to buy everyone keeps saying that they'll mark my best two but I don't think they will. Has anyone experienced not getting their best 2 questions corrected ?

I'm feeling super nervous right now about two exams which are maths and religion but religion mostly because I answered 3 questions when I was only suppose to do to buy everyone keeps saying that they'll mark my best two but I don't think they will. Has anyone experienced not getting their best 2 questions corrected ?

They will mark all of them and give you the marks for your best two. Don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

Just over 93 hours to go :p
    Can't imagine how I'll be feeling when I have that brown envelope in my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I misread that for a second and thought you were repeating your junior cert ha ha.

I remember people getting their exams and screaming and screaming, some of them weren't even planning on going to university. I think it was just the build up and the excitement of the moment rather than the results themselves. I kind of got my results and said "oh cool".. and then smiled widely, because I did a lot better than I was expecting. Made no difference to getting into college at the time. I think my reaction must have been very disappointing for the TV3 news camera pointed in my direction.
    I answered 3 questions when I was only suppose to do to buy everyone keeps saying that they'll mark my best two but I don't think they will.

Of course they will. Firstly they are obligated to, they don't have a choice. Secondly teachers are not monsters. They choose to teach because they have this idea they can help people, and we all know that sometimes they get stuck in it and it turns out it doesn't suit them and they are miserable. But deep down there is nothing in them that would get joy out of giving a student a grade s/he didn't deserve.

I answered too many questions on my Biology paper and as a result ran out of time. I got a B1.. to this day I wonder what would have happened if I had read the instructions properly...

People think the leaving cert only matters once but if in years to come you want to do another undergraduate college course, although it won't be a deciding factor, it will be taken into account. So if you have a good one it will say something about you, and if you have a bad one you will have to explain why.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

I haven't been on here in such a long time :rolleyes: I love reading the old results threads too! It's actually so lovely seeing everyone come together and share the fruits of their (LC) labour :D I hope you're happy on Wednesday :cool:

siebey123 wrote: »
    I haven't been on here in such a long time :rolleyes: I love reading the old results threads too! It's actually so lovely seeing everyone come together and share the fruits of their (LC) labour :D I hope you're happy on Wednesday :cool:

Thanks Siebey, your study logs were awesome.

Starting to brick it a little bit now that the date's so close. I'm equal parts anxious and excited. Giddy as ****........

Solved it

Sorry to hijack the topic here, but what's the story with college fees?

I've heard that the government covers your first 'degree' from people but never found any information on this on the Internet. Does this only apply to irish citizens?

What do we have to pay in general?

Looking at various fees now, will hurt the bank :o.
    Its called the Free Fees Initiative. You can read about it here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

It is free for all EU residents. The actual fees depend on the course but range from about €4000-€20000. The higher end of the fees usually apply to people who do medicine/Veterinary medicine.

• Advertisement

Samurai12 wrote: »
    Its called the Free Fees Initiative. You can read about it here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

It is free for all EU residents. The actual fees depend on the course but range from about €4000-€20000. The higher end of the fees usually apply to people who do medicine/Veterinary medicine.

Thanks!

Apparently you only pay a student contribution fee which is capped at 3000€ if you are a EU national with residency in Ireland.

Which is fine.

Advertisement